Hurricane Isaac Heading for South FL!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Isaac Heading for South FL!!!

The_Gun_Guru
08-23-2012, 15:06
How are you preparing....gun-wise?

I will be loading magazines for the AKs and the PMR-30. I am in Fort Lauderdale and don't expect a direct hit (unlike Wilma in 2005), but you never know.....the weather "guessers" (NOT forecasters!!!!) do get it wrong more often than they get it right.

I will be prepared.....will you?

TGG

Mr Spock
08-23-2012, 15:08
Going to augment the immediate food/water prep this week. Security preps already done. Nothing else different. If it looks like a direct hit I'll decide whether I'll put up the shutters based on how strong. No chance this one is getting here as anything more than a cat 1 or so, though, so no evac and no shutters most likely.

The_Gun_Guru
08-23-2012, 15:39
Going to augment the immediate food/water prep this week. Security preps already done. Nothing else different. If it looks like a direct hit I'll decide whether I'll put up the shutters based on how strong. No chance this one is getting here as anything more than a cat 1 or so, though, so no evac and no shutters most likely.

I agree.

I was born here and can pretty much tell if a threat is imminent.

We just bought this house this year and there are NO SHUTTERS.......and I am confident that we will NOT need them.

But just in case, I will be loading mags on Saturday.

TGG

faawrenchbndr
08-23-2012, 15:48
We will be fine,.....we left Miami in the rear view mirror last year.

To those in Florida,......be smart, be prepared, be safe.

GAFinch
08-23-2012, 15:56
:shame: Those magazines should've already been loaded.

I hope New Orleans doesn't get hit again.

ca survivor
08-23-2012, 16:39
going to the keys tomorrow to put things away and check on the boat, we have a townhouse there, hope it doesn't hit too bad, guns always ready LOL, Hurricane Andrew was tomorrow 20 years ago.

mastrbloata
08-23-2012, 16:44
Gun Guru, those nice people over there, they don't mean you any harm.

The_Gun_Guru
08-23-2012, 19:59
We will be fine,.....we left Miami in the rear view mirror last year.

To those in Florida,......be smart, be prepared, be safe.

I don't blame you!

TGG

PhantomF4E
08-23-2012, 20:01
I lived through Andrew, I am always ready, even in January !!!!

CBennett
08-23-2012, 20:01
could never live in the south, hate heat and humidity so I dont have to worry so much about hurricanes but I will pray everyone remains safe.

The_Gun_Guru
08-23-2012, 20:16
I lived through Andrew, I am always ready, even in January !!!!

Here in Broward Wilma was actually worse than Andrew. I was ready then as well.....but not like I am now!:whistling:

20 years will add a lot of guns and ammo to one's collection.

Be safe everyone!

TGG

engineer151515
08-23-2012, 20:20
Might be more of a future Florida panhandle / Alabama problem.

poodleplumber
08-24-2012, 13:00
I fired up my generator to blow out the cobwebs, and bought enough gas for 36 hours. Everything else is done. This isn't a big enough blow to bother with the shutters. The only other thing I changed is moving my kayak trip from open water to a narrow, sheltered stream.

I've lived in Florida for 50 years and I don't remember how many hurricanes. We have lost power for up to 10 days at a time, and had our home and business heavily damaged, but we got through all of them. Isaac is looking pretty wimpy compared to some of the more recent storms.

The_Gun_Guru
08-24-2012, 13:18
I fired up my generator to blow out the cobwebs, and bought enough gas for 36 hours. Everything else is done. This isn't a big enough blow to bother with the shutters. The only other thing I changed is moving my kayak trip from open water to a narrow, sheltered stream.

I've lived in Florida for 50 years and I don't remember how many hurricanes. We have lost power for up to 10 days at a time, and had our home and business heavily damaged, but we got through all of them. Isaac is looking pretty wimpy compared to some of the more recent storms.

I totally agree!

I was born and raised right here in Broward and have survived them all......well, not ALL, I'm not even 50 yet:supergrin:.

You are right, this one is going to come close but won't be a big deal.

TGG

DonD
08-24-2012, 13:42
NO, NO, NO, FL has had a lot of water, send it to TX, we REALLY need it. We want Isaac!!!!!!!!!!! Yea, rah.

The whole nation needs rain. Don

DonD
08-24-2012, 13:45
could never live in the south, hate heat and humidity so I dont have to worry so much about hurricanes but I will pray everyone remains safe.

I wouldn't say PA was humidity free. Each to his/her own. One of the reasons I left the mountains east of ABQ, NM was being tired of the snow. A recent year had snow on the ground from Mid Dec to early May and having the wind blow snowblower snow exhaust into my face was really getting old. Don

CBennett
08-24-2012, 14:23
I wouldn't say PA was humidity free. Each to his/her own. One of the reasons I left the mountains east of ABQ, NM was being tired of the snow. A recent year had snow on the ground from Mid Dec to early May and having the wind blow snowblower snow exhaust into my face was really getting old. Don

No, but only July and August really then its good weather after and B4 that. Love the snow hate the heat and humidity...70-75 all year long would suit me fine lol and medium humidity

caviteno_loco
08-24-2012, 14:47
Locked and loaded here in Miami. :supergrin:

All I need is a few more cases of bottled water :whistling:

The_Gun_Guru
08-24-2012, 15:09
Locked and loaded here in Miami. :supergrin:

All I need is a few more cases of bottled water :whistling:

I have a bottle of vodka and 30K rounds of ammo! All set here in Broward!

TGG

poodleplumber
08-24-2012, 15:20
All I need is a few more cases of bottled water

I prefer the bottled water that is amber colored and makes a head when you pour it. That other stuff has no flavor.

hoghunter82
08-24-2012, 15:37
I have a bottle of vodka and 30K rounds of ammo! All set here in Broward!

TGG

Only ONE bottle of Vodka? Come on man!

The_Gun_Guru
08-25-2012, 19:13
Only ONE bottle of Vodka? Come on man!

LOL:rofl:

We're going to start feeling it here in less than 12 hours! I will post some pics and/or video if I feel it's safe to do so. I will load a few mags tonight but all should be fine - it's NOT a major event!

TGG

01coltcolt
08-25-2012, 19:31
I am in Valdosta GA and that is dead center on the border of FL and GA. We on the AF base have started preparing for a fly out of the A-10s. We are prepared to react.

modestglock26
08-25-2012, 20:23
Made it thru them all up until I moved in 2005. Was living in Pompano Beach and Coral Springs and had damage several times but nothing major. Never needed my loaded mags.

Manofprint
08-25-2012, 20:35
All ready . Its gonna be mild with lots o rain

The_Gun_Guru
08-25-2012, 20:36
Made it thru them all up until I moved in 2005. Was living in Pompano Beach and Coral Springs and had damage several times but nothing major. Never needed my loaded mags.

Me either.....but what about that one time when you do? Would you rather have themloaded, or have them empty?

Remember, they are NOT weather forecasters, they are weather GUESSERS!!!!!

It's not an exact science.:wavey:

TGG

porschedog
08-25-2012, 21:12
I'm Booked on a flight that is scheduled to arrive at FLL around 11PM Sunday, but I suspect I may be driving in from Atlanta.
I have a car reserved and standing by there, but I hope to not need it
To make it more frustrating, the weather is perfect here in Wisconsin.

PhantomF4E
08-26-2012, 09:22
11:20 Miami is still pretty calm . Not even any gutter overflow yet ....

mastrbloata
08-26-2012, 10:08
12:07pm. here and I just posted my yard sign. It says, "Don't loot here; I know the Gun Guru."

TexasGlockster
08-26-2012, 10:17
I hope New Orleans doesn't get hit again.

You had to say it...

Tropical Storm Isaac in Florida Keys, Hurricane Watch Expanded to Include New Orleans

Tropical Storm Isaac is becoming better organized as its outer bands begin to impact south Florida and the Florida Keys. Maximum sustained winds are near 65 mph and Isaac is expected to strengthen to be at or near hurricane strength when it reaches the Florida Keys later on Sunday. Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio, your local NWS forecast office or local news media for impacts affecting your area.

Check out what the National Weather Service projections HERE (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#ISAAC)...It looks like its going to curve into Louisiana.

ca survivor
08-26-2012, 11:00
I prefer the bottled water that is amber colored and makes a head when you pour it. That other stuff has no flavor.
:rofl:

GlockPistola
08-26-2012, 12:35
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t431/Socalpistola/Umbrella_Shotgun_SPAS_12__open_by_DragonIllusions.jpg

The_Gun_Guru
08-26-2012, 14:08
12:07pm. here and I just posted my yard sign. It says, "Don't loot here; I know the Gun Guru."

:rofl:

I'm going to post one that says, "PLEASE loot here - I need to try out some new ammo".:supergrin:

You had to say it...

Check out what the National Weather Service projections HERE (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#ISAAC)...It looks like its going to curve into Louisiana.

They should be fine, it really isn't going to be a major storm.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t431/Socalpistola/Umbrella_Shotgun_SPAS_12__open_by_DragonIllusions.jpg

Now THAT is funny!!!! Where can I get one?:rofl:

Still raining here in Fort Lauderdale but no wind to speak of. A few gusts earlier but nothing major. I love how the media always reports on storms like this from the beach.....where it is ALWAYS windier than it is inland.

They love the drama, don't they?:upeyes:

TGG

Motor City Glocker
08-26-2012, 15:34
No, but only July and August really then its good weather after and B4 that. Love the snow hate the heat and humidity...70-75 all year long would suit me fine lol and medium humidity

THIS.

Michigan is the exact same as Pennsylvania in this regard.

steve581581
08-26-2012, 16:21
I spent this past week in Florida, Myrtle Beach, and New Orleans/Baton Rouge. I'm glad to be home in Michigan. You guys get too much rain down there... I'd move to Baton Rouge in a heartbeat though.
Good luck to those of you that live where the storm hits.

GlockPistola
08-26-2012, 18:03

TGG

Send me a check for $5,000 and I'll make you one. :supergrin:

Bruce M
08-27-2012, 05:49
:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:

Hoping the other three customers and I get power back today but I am sure that a total of four customers is not high on their priority list.

Glock_Convert
08-27-2012, 06:05
My folks live in Key Largo. My Dad told me last night his rooftop weather station at his house only recorded 24 mph peak during the storm.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The_Gun_Guru
08-27-2012, 07:20
My folks live in Key Largo. My Dad told me last night his rooftop weather station at his house only recorded 24 mph peak during the storm.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, the storm was a bust, but it did help us discover a small leak in our new house.

920 a.m. and it's still raining here in Fort Lauderdale :-(

TGG

poodleplumber
08-27-2012, 08:51
Worst possible result today: weather bad enough to kill business, but not bad enough to give us an excuse for a day off.

My wife and I spent the weekend at an upscale hotel on the beach for our anniversary. It was kind of neat to watch the bands rolling in, and there were enough breaks in between to take some walks on the beach.

The_Gun_Guru
08-27-2012, 12:06
Worst possible result today: weather bad enough to kill business, but not bad enough to give us an excuse for a day off.

My wife and I spent the weekend at an upscale hotel on the beach for our anniversary. It was kind of neat to watch the bands rolling in, and there were enough breaks in between to take some walks on the beach.

NICE!!! Happy anniversary to you both! :thumbsup:

I wonder how many people bought a Beretta CX4 or PX4 STORM to remind them of T.S. Isaac. :dunno:

Stay safe and dry folks:wavey:

TGG

BTW....still coming down in buckets in Fort Lauderdale:crying:

modestglock26
08-27-2012, 12:52
Me either.....but what about that one time when you do? Would you rather have themloaded, or have them empty?

Remember, they are NOT weather forecasters, they are weather GUESSERS!!!!!

It's not an exact science.:wavey:

TGG

Mine are always loaded regardless of any possibly storms so I guess it doesn't matter either way. Just saying I've been thru a handful of hurricanes and bad storms as I grew up in FL and never needed anything other than a generator and more beer.

poodleplumber
08-27-2012, 13:33
NICE!!! Happy anniversary to you both!

Thanks. The place is owned by Gloria Estefan and her husband, and has a wonderful restaurant as well as a beautiful hotel and a very friendly staff.

Ironically, today is the worst weather we have had. There is a feeder band that originates in Cuba and has been running right up the coast. I guess you are getting it a couple of hours before we do, so I am probably not telling you anything, but we have had a tornado or two on top of several inches of rain and gusty winds. I guess those buckets aren't completely empty when you are done with them.

The headline of this morning's newspaper said "Isaac's worst is behind us." Hah!

TheExplorer
08-27-2012, 13:43
TGG

Free from your insurance company if you put in a claim last time around. They don't want to pay any more claims.