Getting a FN FNS-9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting a FN FNS-9

40frank
08-23-2012, 15:10
I ordered a FN FNS-9. For those who don't know already, this is the striker-fired version of their FNP-9. There is supposedly some upgrades as well; not to sure about that but will investigate and check it out when I go and pick it up tomorrow. It comes with: three mags, night sights, and a Galco holster (FN actually gave my dealer the holster,but he is including it with the purchase). with FN marked on it. I am looking forward to picking it up. I will post pictures tomorrow late afternoon or early evening. Looking forward to hearing any feedback (both good and bad) concerning FN's or this FNS-9. Thanks!

EDIT: If you look at the video below, you will notice a problem with the FNS-9. My dealer was able to duplicate the same problem with very little force. He pulled them and is sending them back. He felt it was a serious problem and will not sell them. I will not purchase one of these handguns.

Beanie-Bean
08-23-2012, 15:57
Well, I bought one earlier this year and just couldn't get used to the trigger. Try dry firing it slowly, like you're trying to figure out when/where it'll break--that was the most inconsistent part of the pistol for me.

The grips and backstraps were great, the three mags were a bonus, and the night sights were outstanding. It even fit in one of my Remora holsters!

I took the slide apart to try to see if there was anything there I could do to perhaps make the trigger any more predictable and consistent. Nope...I didn't want to send it back, and I took a hit on it trading for a brand-new XD Tactical .357SIG.

Comedian
08-23-2012, 16:43
I had one a few months back. I loved the grip ergs and the trigger was very Glock like, so no problem there. It had no issue while firing but it was less accurate than my Caracal C, so sold decided to sell the FNS and keep the Caracal.

Glock40man
08-23-2012, 17:11
Congrats!

Bananas
08-23-2012, 18:01
Congrats! Let me know what you think of it, I've been considering getting one.

bac1023
08-23-2012, 20:31
Congrats! :cool:

I like those pistols quite a bit.

plouffedaddy
08-24-2012, 05:44
I've been trying to pick one up from my contacts at the factory here but they're selling so fast that FN doesn't have any available for 'friends of FN' :crying: So, I'm patiently waiting until demand steadies out a bit then I'll have on of my own :supergrin:

Let us know how yours runs once you get it in your paws.

40frank
08-24-2012, 08:22
I've been trying to pick one up from my contacts at the factory here but they're selling so fast that FN doesn't have any available for 'friends of FN' :crying: So, I'm patiently waiting until demand steadies out a bit then I'll have on of my own :supergrin:

Let us know how yours runs once you get it in your paws.

I am leaving in a few hours to go and get it. I am starting to get cold feet though. I have been reading reports of "slide lock". I did notice it is the same person in every report I read, but it has me thinking. I will make my mind up when I get there. I will try to induce the slide lock before I buy it. I have a question for you, because I don't think the FNS is new, just new in the States. Has Europe been using an identical pistol for the past few years made by FN?

plouffedaddy
08-24-2012, 13:02
I am leaving in a few hours to go and get it. I am starting to get cold feet though. I have been reading reports of "slide lock". I did notice it is the same person in every report I read, but it has me thinking. I will make my mind up when I get there. I will try to induce the slide lock before I buy it. I have a question for you, because I don't think the FNS is new, just new in the States. Has Europe been using an identical pistol for the past few years made by FN?

No. It's relatively new to all markets.

fnfalman
08-24-2012, 17:05

The FNS is brand stankin' new.

Within the last ten years, FN had introduced three different pistols (not counting the FiveSeven): FN FNP, FN FNX and now FN FNS.

Bananas
08-25-2012, 09:23
Did you end up picking it up? About the slide lock issue: I wouldn't worry. The only way it locks is if you manually push the trigger forward when the trigger is not set (nothing in the chamber, or a bad round, light primer strike, etc.) I've noticed some people can lock it up by smacking the muzzle. The ones at my LGS couldn't be locked in this way.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4Rules
08-25-2012, 10:29
FNS-9 Problem. Locking Video 1 of 2. Manually Pushing Trigger to Lock.MOV - YouTube

FNS-9 Problem. Locking Video 2 of 2. Locking Under Stress.MOV - YouTube

40frank
08-25-2012, 11:09
Did you end up picking it up? About the slide lock issue: I wouldn't worry. The only way it locks is if you manually push the trigger forward when the trigger is not set (nothing in the chamber, or a bad round, light primer strike, etc.) I've noticed some people can lock it up by smacking the muzzle. The ones at my LGS couldn't be locked in this way.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

No I didn't. I told the owner of my local gun shop about the issue. He lightly smacked the the front of the slide and it locked up. He is sending them all back. He thinks that it is a serious problem and didn't feel comfortable selling them.

40frank
08-25-2012, 11:11
FNS-9 Problem. Locking Video 1 of 2. Manually Pushing Trigger to Lock.MOV - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AicVIt_PNLQ)

FNS-9 Problem. Locking Video 2 of 2. Locking Under Stress.MOV - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2KvmbzfmmI)

Thanks for the video links. I ended up passing on them. The owner of my local gun shop was able to duplicate the problem with a light smack on the front of the slide. He felt it was serious and did not feel comfortable selling it. He pulled them from the display case and he is sending them all back.

Comedian
08-25-2012, 17:02
Thanks for the video links. I ended up passing on them. The owner of my local gun shop was able to duplicate the problem with a light smack on the front of the slide. He felt it was serious and did not feel comfortable selling it. He pulled them from the display case and he is sending them all back.

Wow. This issue is going to hurt FN.

Gary1911A1
08-26-2012, 05:54
I have one and mine does the same two trigger malfunctions as posted above. On another forum a police department has adopted this pistol. Once the officers become aware of this problem it will be interesting to see what happens.

Walk Soft
08-26-2012, 06:11
Darn,I almost bought one but opted for something else.I 'm glad I didn't now.

evilspringer
08-26-2012, 06:59
OK, these might be a dumb questions but would this happen when the gun is loaded?
How would you be able to push the trigger forward after your shot if there is ammo in the mag and chamber? Wouldn't the trigger reset thus not able to be push forward?

Obviously I am not trying this loaded, but can hitting the muzzle like in the second video produce the same result if loaded?

Finally if it doesn't happen when loaded is this really an issue?

Apetrulis01
08-26-2012, 07:02
The FNS has to inconsistent of a trigger for me. When you walk into a Gun store and pick up a Glock the trigger is generally going to be the same. I have walked in to local gunshops and tried 4 different FNS triggers, each gun had a vastly different trigger.

Try pulling the trigger slowly, it becomes heavier, breaks at different points, and just sucks. I had high hopes considering all the write ups, but actual hands on experience have left a lot to be disired.

Adam

40frank
08-26-2012, 07:11
OK, these might be a dumb questions but would this happen when the gun is loaded?
How would you be able to push the trigger forward after your shot if there is ammo in the mag and chamber? Wouldn't the trigger reset thus not able to be push forward?

Obviously I am not trying this loaded, but can hitting the muzzle like in the second video produce the same result if loaded?

Finally if it doesn't happen when loaded is this really an issue?

Valid points and questions. I am not sure. All I know is my dealer thought it was bad enough to pull them...he wouldn't have sold me one at that point even if I would have still wanted it. I think the biggest problem with this lock up is that it is caused by inertia. If you had a round that was a dud and you aggressively did a tap, rack ready; I can see the possibility of the gun locking up. In fact, now that I think of it, I think the person in the video runs some kind of shooting school and they first noticed the malfunctions during drills in class. I didn't want to take a chance with it.

evilspringer
08-26-2012, 07:29
Good to know. I am glad I saw this thread. I was going to pick one up next weekend.
I can get it for $530 w/ 3 mags and night sights plus FN has a $50 rebate going on right now for the FNS. I think I wait.

ozy
09-06-2012, 12:20
to me the fn pistols have always exuded quality. but this meltdown with the trigger locking the slide is a major f*&^- up.

Boot Stomper
09-07-2012, 04:11
Did you get your $50.00 rebate?

http://www.fnhusa1.com/PDF/1208FNS.pdf

Here are the best prices I have seen, but you need to be an Officer.

https://shop.ombguns.com/c-682-9mm.aspx