I died. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I died.

Kingarthurhk
08-23-2012, 17:55
Rather, to say, I was in the process of dying. No, there was not an out of body experience. No, there wasn't a bright light.

Before, I was diagnosed with a genetic condition that really started its onset over a year ago, that causese my kidnies to do a lovely job of extcreting the majority of my potasium.

Potasium does lovely things for you. It maintains your muscles, innards, and not to mention your ticker.

When it gets low enough you can TIA or just flat line.

Any rate, I remember it quite well. It was of those rare quiet moments between me and my wife in our home.

I was laid out on the bed, the sun was in twilight, a soft glow. The room was ordered on a rare occassion, and I was feeling myself go.

I was fading from consciousness and it wasn't a falling asleep thing. I was just beat, and there wearing all my clothes.

I knew I was dying. When it happens to you, there is no mistaking it. The world starts to fade, your senses start to fade.

I was perfectly at peace, however. I told my wife what was happening. She panicked and did what she thought she should do at that exact moment.

She put her hand in the middle of my chest and started to pray.

Her hand felt warm, not like a normal warmth of a person, but warm, and energy was comming through it.

I came back in a jolt. Kind of like being yanked, a bit like being in car that suddenly slams on its breaks, but in a completely different way. I suddenly for that moment felt normal. I still have to take medication to maintain my levels, but she brought me back, there is no doubt in my mind.

Her prayers pulled me back that day.

So, I guess to be honest, I was dying, but I didn't die.

This is in stark contrast to my Atheist former Jewish German grandomother.

She hated all religion and God to the last. She contracted cancer and went to the grave crazy, because she didn't have a hope in anything else.

So, to compare and contrast. A Christian dying has no fear. My Atheist grandmother was consumed by fear.

Anyone else have a near death experience? That was my second. The first involved a whole lot of bee stings. That was a constant in and out in and out being worked on while they tried to prevent organ failure.

That happened my first year of marriage, quite a long time ago.

So, that is my compare and contrast from actual first hand experience.

Ramjet38
08-23-2012, 18:54
Thanks for sharing, but why didn't your wife call 911? Or maybe that wasn't an option due to location or something?

Kingarthurhk
08-23-2012, 18:56
Thanks for sharing, but why didn't your wife call 911? Or maybe that wasn't an option due to location or something?

Not sure why she didn't. I guess she figured there wasn't time. It came on fast.

To add, I have always been the cooler headed one when it comes to emergencies. Her usual mode of opperation is to simply panic.

Guss
08-23-2012, 19:39
I think the death rate for both atheists and believers still stands at 100%.

Gunhaver
08-23-2012, 19:42
So, to compare and contrast. A Christian dying has no fear. My Atheist grandmother was consumed by fear.

I know there are plenty of atheists who go gracefully. I don't worry about it myself. I figure 70-100 years on this planet is just about enough time to get damn bored with it all and by then I might not be too opposed to the lights going out for good. I have no fear because I know what to expect- nothing.

You guys on the other hand with all your "what if?" about heaven and hell and all that other nonsense you fill your heads with will be the ones with something to worry about, if you insist.

Cavalry Doc
08-23-2012, 20:10
I know there are plenty of atheists who go gracefully. I don't worry about it myself. I figure 70-100 years on this planet is just about enough time to get damn bored with it all and by then I might not be too opposed to the lights going out for good. I have no fear because I know what to expect- nothing.

You guys on the other hand with all your "what if?" about heaven and hell and all that other nonsense you fill your heads with will be the ones with something to worry about, if you insist.

70 - 100?

The average is 78, but that means that some gotta go sooner.

I deal with a lot of people that are dying, and know it. I have to say that most of the ones that have faith have an easy time with it. I remember one gentleman that a friend was telling that he had about 2 months to live, saying, so what you are threatening me with is heaven. I've met many atheists that have faith that there is nothing afterwards that are also at peace.

Faith is a strength builder, whether you are a theist or an atheist, usually at least.

cowboywannabe
08-23-2012, 20:37
why not a potasium shot like an epi pen next time?

fowl intent
08-23-2012, 21:06
One of the main purposes of any religion is to attempt to give some meaning to our existence. The thought of mortality has troubled mankind since we developed the capacity to think and reason. What better way to give hope to poor downtrodden peons than to promise them abundent riches in the next life (so don't get too upset about your plight in this one). Lets face it, religion conditions us to almost look forward to dying. In Christianity, it is to see Jesus face to face. For Muslims, it is to have 60 some odd virgins at your beck and call. So the bottom line is that one's religious beliefs may in fact make it less scary to face death. But those beliefs won't change or effect reality in any way. And the ironic thing is we won't know whether there is something after death until we die. Or maybe we won't.

Kingarthurhk
08-23-2012, 21:06
why not a potasium shot like an epi pen next time?

Because with the joy of modern medicine it is regulate by a little pill every day.

Also, too much potasium is all lethal. It is one of the methods they use to stop people's hearts for the purposes of execution.

Kingarthurhk
08-23-2012, 21:11
One of the main purposes of any religion is to attempt to give some meaning to our existence. The thought of mortality has troubled mankind since we developed the capacity to think and reason. What better way to give hope to poor downtrodden peons than to promise them abundent riches in the next life (so don't get too upset about your plight in this one). Lets face it, religion conditions us to almost look forward to dying. In Christianity, it is to see Jesus face to face. For Muslims, it is to have 60 some odd virgins at your beck and call. So the bottom line is that one's religious beliefs may in fact make it less scary to face death. But those beliefs won't change or effect reality in any way. And the ironic thing is we won't know whether there is something after death until we die. Or maybe we won't.

I don't fear death. I have hope and peace. Call it what you will, but there is nothing here that is worth clinging on to. Family? Sure. But, I am confident if I pass, I will see them again. But, beyond that it is all rather trivial.

I already know what death is. One minute all the senses, the next nothing. It is what happens in the resurection that makes it all worthwhile. I have just never been allowed to see what is on the other side of the nothingness. But, I suspect that is because it has already been lined out, and my current mind probably couldn't contain it all.

Kingarthurhk
08-23-2012, 21:12

True. If you live long enough, you will die of something.

Syclone538
08-23-2012, 21:31
First, I'm glad you are ok.

Her prayers pulled me back that day.

Do you feel that God would have let you die had she not been there to pray for you?

I'm sure there are also plenty of examples of theists being afraid and atheists being at peace.

Tilley
08-24-2012, 02:31

Christians are greeted on the other side by Jesus.:supergrin:

Atheists are greeted by Adolf, Saddam, Barach and Rosie O'Donnell...:steamed::steamed::steamed::steamed:

Kingarthurhk
08-24-2012, 05:33
First, I'm glad you are ok.

Thank you.

Do you feel that God would have let you die had she not been there to pray for you?

I don't know. I would have been okay with it. It was clear from the overwhelming feeling of peace that God was with me. If He chose for me to rest until he returned, I would have been okay with that. He heard my wife's prayers that she didn't want to be without me, and things changed course rapidly.

I'm sure there are also plenty of examples of theists being afraid and atheists being at peace.

I can't answer that. If you are a Theist and are not sure about your salvation or your relationship with God it can be extremely stressful.

I can't imagine anyone who at the actual moment of death, or potential death that that had no hope being accepting and at peace with death.

Animal Mother
08-24-2012, 06:08
I don't know. I would have been okay with it. It was clear from the overwhelming feeling of peace that God was with me. If He chose for me to rest until he returned, I would have been okay with that. He heard my wife's prayers that she didn't want to be without me, and things changed course rapidly. I'm glad you recovered as well, but I have to ask what it was about your wife's prayer that took precedence over those that God allows to die every day despite intercessory prayers on their behalf?
I can't imagine anyone who at the actual moment of death, or potential death that that had no hope being accepting and at peace with death.Why not? If you don't expect an afterlife, why would you be nervous about what happens when you die? The only possible source of unhappiness or despair is a realization that you haven't lived a fulfilled life and that's not going to change regardless of your religious beliefs.

eracer
08-24-2012, 06:11
Wife should go to work for Benny Hinn.

Vic Hays
08-24-2012, 06:32

There is a battle going on.
There are rules of engagement.
We are told that we must ask or God may not act.
It has to do with justice and faith.
Obviously it was within God's will that King need not die.

John 15:16 You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that you should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatever you shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

I Corinthians 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

snowbird
08-24-2012, 06:34
Thanks for sharing that deeply personal experience, kingarthurhk. You wrote about it in a fine way too.

Kingarthurhk
08-24-2012, 17:15
I'm glad you recovered as well, but I have to ask what it was about your wife's prayer that took precedence over those that God allows to die every day despite intercessory prayers on their behalf?[/qiuote]

I don't know. Perhaps my work here isn't done.

[quote]
Why not? If you don't expect an afterlife, why would you be nervous about what happens when you die? The only possible source of unhappiness or despair is a realization that you haven't lived a fulfilled life and that's not going to change regardless of your religious beliefs.

Or the thought that this is it, and there will never be anything more. That is what drove my grandmother nuts as a hardcore atheist.

Kingarthurhk
08-24-2012, 17:16
Thanks for sharing that deeply personal experience, kingarthurhk. You wrote about it in a fine way too.

Thanks, snowbird.