Which one should I choose? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which one should I choose?

CypressTrout
08-23-2012, 18:09
Ok I am looking to get a 22lr pistol for some plinking fun. I have two options and need some opinions.

1. I have a spare G17 frame and could get a Advantage Arms 22lr kit.

2. Thinking about a Ruger MKIII 22/45 or the lite version.

My requirements are I want something that I can shoot thousands of rounds through and will be reliable with most of the cheap ammo. I am leaning towards the Ruger because I could put a red dot on it and that could be fun and the magazines seem to be cheaper.

Any input would be great! Also price is not really an issue.

ratf51
08-23-2012, 18:23
Go with the Ruger and don't look back.

cheapshot
08-23-2012, 19:02
Go with the Ruger and don't look back.This is good advice.:agree:

John Eastwood
08-23-2012, 21:03
Unless your goal is the train with the Glock, go with the Ruger. I say this as an owner of AA kits for the Glock and my 1911.

CypressTrout
08-23-2012, 21:24
Unless your goal is the train with the Glock, go with the Ruger. I say this as an owner of AA kits for the Glock and my 1911.

I have 6 glocks so I'm not to concerned about training part. I held a ruger 22/45 lite today and it felt great. We may have found a winner..:supergrin:

wrx04
08-23-2012, 22:42
Get the Ruger

janice6
08-23-2012, 22:51
Go with a dedicated target pistol. You will never regret it. Ruger is an excellent pistol.

I have a ciener(sp?) conversion slide for my Kimber that I like very much. I choose a target pistol for .22 every time.

My local Fleet Farm Store has a Red/Green Dot for $35. I and my son have them on our pistols great fun with a good pistol. Not BB or airsoft item.

I have excellent reliability with Federal bulk pack. Worst reliability is Remington bulk pack.

catalyst686
08-24-2012, 00:26
I was in the same situation as you, wanted something that I could put tons of rounds down range with inexpensively, I went with the Ruger 22/ 45, It's my favorite gun to shoot now, it is very accurate, especially with CCI stingers, I shoot it better than any of my handguns, I would recommend it for sure!

CanMan
08-24-2012, 00:39
22/45s are great! Mine has digested anything I've run through it without a hiccup. I put a Tac-Sol bbl on mine so I could a suppressor too. Mantra: get the Ruger, get the Ruger.

vafish
08-24-2012, 05:19

Agree,

The whole reason for the conversion kit is cheap training with your primary gun.

The AA kits are a bit finicky with ammo, they run great on ammo they like and jam 5 times a mag of 10 with ammo they don't like.

I have an AA kit for my g19/23, a ruger MKI and a MKIII.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CypressTrout
08-24-2012, 06:16
Agree,

The whole reason for the conversion kit is cheap training with your primary gun.

The AA kits are a bit finicky with ammo, they run great on ammo they like and jam 5 times a mag of 10 with ammo they don't like.

I have an AA kit for my g19/23, a ruger MKI and a MKIII.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Yeah I'd like something I can run a variety of cheap ammo through.

My next question is should I go with the Regular 22/45 with the threaded barrel or the Ruger 22/45 LITE?

irishbum
08-24-2012, 11:55
Yeah I'd like something I can run a variety of cheap ammo through.

My next question is should I go with the Regular 22/45 with the threaded barrel or the Ruger 22/45 LITE?

If you are going use a suppressor I say goy heavy. I have Pac-Lite upper and its heavy in the front cause top end and frame are so light. Also check out the Volquartsen trigger kits they are worth every cent.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2cxdjk5.jpg

irishbum
08-24-2012, 11:58
Eh seeing you in MN I guess that means no suppressor.:crying: You're missing out.

CypressTrout
08-24-2012, 11:59
If you are going use a suppressor I say goy heavy. I have Pac-Lite upper and its heavy in the front cause top end and frame are so light. Also check out the Volquartsen trigger kits they are worth every cent.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2cxdjk5.jpg

Thanks for the input! I am moving to FL so I could get a suppressor so the heavy one should be the ticket.

CigarandScotch
08-24-2012, 12:02
I love my Ruger Mk III target. It's one of my favorite guns, period. And every friend I have turned on to shooting it either wants one or has one now.

I have a Millett red dot scope on top, and it is amazingly accurate. On a good day with good ammo, it groups almost like a rifle at 50 yards.