US Firearms in trouble? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : US Firearms in trouble?

bac1023
08-24-2012, 06:35
Down to one revolver?

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/single-action-revolver.asp

It looks like USFA is only listing one gun now. Granted, you can get a few different configurations, but its a far cry from all the offerings they used to have. It looks like only one caliber now too. At least they chose the right caliber. :)

Its a shame because USFA builds some of the best true Peacemaker clones around. Many think they are better quality than Colt.

From the models I've handled, I'd put them at least on par with Colt's SAA.

It doesn't look good. Hopefully, they can rebound.

glock_19guy1983
08-24-2012, 06:47
Down to one revolver?

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/single-action-revolver.asp

It looks like USFA is only listing one gun now. Granted, you can get a few different configurations, but its a far cry from all the offerings they used to have. It looks like only one caliber now too. At least they chose the right caliber. :)

Its a shame because USFA builds some of the best true Peacemaker clones around. Many think they are better quality than Colt.

From the models I've handled, I'd put them at least on par with Colt's SAA.

It doesn't look good. Hopefully, they can rebound.

The one I handled was very nicely fit and finish was beautiful, Probably better than the recent 3rd gens. Unfortunately the price was nearly as much as a genuine colt. Why buy the knock off when you can have the real deal for a few dollars more. The non CAS guys are also looking at it as an investment, Colts will hold their value or go up, the USAF most likely wont go up in value as much.

The_Gun_Guru
08-24-2012, 06:50
Maybe they just can't compete with Ruger:dunno:

TGG

bac1023
08-24-2012, 06:51
The one I handled was very nicely fit and finish was beautiful, Probably better than the recent 3rd gens. Unfortunately the price was nearly as much as a genuine colt. Why buy the knock off when you can have the real deal for a few dollars more. The non CAS guys are also looking at it as an investment, Colts will hold their value or go up, the USAF most likely wont go up in value as much.

I agree with that, but its always nice to have something different.

I have one of their 1911s and its much nicer than anything Colt has built in the last 30 years if not longer. Its fit tighter than any 1911 Colt ever built.

bac1023
08-24-2012, 06:53

TGG

Maybe, but I don't think they were after the same market Ruger was.

The Vaquero isn't a true SAA clone.

glock_19guy1983
08-24-2012, 06:57
I agree with that, but its always nice to have something different.

I have one of their 1911s and its much nicer than anything Colt has built in the last 30 years if not longer. Its fit tighter than any 1911 Colt ever built.

I saw an article about their 1911s. I always wanted to handle one. They looked very nice, and quality traditional 1911s are pretty scarce and I love the looks of them. I looked at a colt 1918 replica at a gun show but the guy was wanting $1700 for it.:shocked: Ive seen a few others on the auction sites for much less, but after the amount of colts ive seen on dealer shelves that Were poorly fit or finished I wont buy another colt without looking at it first.

bac1023
08-24-2012, 07:04
I saw an article about their 1911s. I always wanted to handle one. They looked very nice, and quality traditional 1911s are pretty scarce and I love the looks of them.

Their 1911s were incredible. :cool:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/007-7.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/014-9.jpg

glock_19guy1983
08-24-2012, 07:09

TGG

comparing a USFA to a ruger is like comparing a Lincoln to a Kia.

The_Gun_Guru
08-24-2012, 07:09
Maybe, but I don't think they were after the same market Ruger was.

The Vaquero isn't a true SAA clone.

That's true, but I think most people want an affordable SA revolver, not one that costs almost as much as a Colt. If I wanted a SAA (which I do!), I would pay a little more and get the real deal, as opposed to buying a clone.

TGG

SigFTW
08-24-2012, 07:51
I heard of USFA but have not handled one. Looks to be a very nice clone. However, I'll stick to Ruger and FA (FA is on my list).

It something about Ruger's crude yet robust build that attracts me to their single action revolvers, even over a Colt. When you look at the reloading books under the 45LC Ruger/TC/FA has their own section because of how strong these revolvers are built. So, you know you are getting a well built SA revolver for a great price. :supergrin:

bac1023
08-24-2012, 07:54
I heard of USFA but have not handled one. Looks to be a very nice clone. However, I'll stick to Ruger and FA (FA is on my list).

It something about Ruger's crude yet robust build that attracts me to their single action revolvers, even over a Colt. When you look at the reloading books under the 45LC Ruger/TC/FA has their own section because of how strong these revolvers are built. So, you know you are getting a well built SA revolver for a great price. :supergrin:

I hear all that. FA makes the best quality SA revolvers today and Ruger SA revolvers are legendary. However, USFA is different. It's a true SAA clone.

I know the price is about the same as Colt, but I really believe it may be a better product.

ChuteTheMall
08-24-2012, 08:01
USFA merely copies the old Colt SAA, but Ruger improved on it.:tongueout:

bac1023
08-24-2012, 08:24

Not everybody wants those "improvements" though. ;)

38 Super Fan
08-24-2012, 09:27
That's too bad, they build great quality stuff for sure, hope they can keep it together. A USFA 1911 is still high on my wishlist.

bac1023
08-24-2012, 09:32
That's too bad, they build great quality stuff for sure, hope they can keep it together. A USFA 1911 is still high on my wishlist.

I'd love to see you get one, Cody. :cool:

Jim Watson
08-24-2012, 10:23
Just in the interest of keeping a serviceable Internet Rumor going, I refer you to:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=8350097&postcount=3

Which is to the effect that the president of the company is getting tired of the grind and is rolling up operations.

SigFTW
08-24-2012, 10:35
Just in the interest of keeping a serviceable Internet Rumor going, I refer you to:

Which is to the effect that the president of the company is getting tired of the grind and is rolling up operations.

Hopefully he has someone to take over the company, especially with the following they have. :dunno:

6forsure
08-24-2012, 17:52
had one their rodeos in 45 colt. excellent fit and finish. very accurate too. rugers are more robust, but their cylinder indexing sucks for loading

bac1023
08-24-2012, 22:44

Thanks for the link Jim. :cool:

Wyoming
08-25-2012, 00:24
It is the same economical forces that Colt has to deal with their SAA, high polish and hand fitting is not cheap to do. There is no way to lower that cost. You have to pass it along in the price of the item. As the product costs more the fewer there will sold. It becomes a downward spiral.

Colt has it's brand that enables them to sell for more than USFA. Both of their total production in SA revolvers doesn't come close to Ruger's.

Low sales volume with lower margin of profit means less yearly income. If you can't reduces manufacturing cost or raise your prices what is left but to close your doors.:crying:

We all love quality but there is a limit to what we all can afford. It is called living with in your means. Bill Ruger was able to find that balance and became very successful.

JONEBGD.
08-25-2012, 02:03
You are an idiot- you care about $ only- get off our site, please!!! Jon

s&wfan
08-25-2012, 03:06
Easy there, man. Sheesh.

I read these USFA guns use small parts made by Uberti.

Jim Watson
08-25-2012, 05:11
That is re-reporting old news. USFA went all USA with most stuff produced in house and a little domestically contracted. They got away from Uberti parts about the time they changed the name from USPtFA to USFA.

bac1023
08-25-2012, 05:35
I read these USFA guns use small parts made by Uberti.

I think that was a while back.

SigFTW
08-25-2012, 08:03

3 post and you are already calling someone an idiot over a joke statement, that is uncalled for.

38 Super Fan
08-25-2012, 09:24
I'd love to see you get one, Cody. :cool:
Hopefully someday. I still can't get over that bluing, just awesome.

Big Mad Dawg
08-25-2012, 10:03

Have a bad day sunshine? I would think with your 3 posts maybe it's time to try and fit in more and insult less.

bac1023
08-25-2012, 11:59

Seriously? :upeyes:

Good Lord

bac1023
08-25-2012, 11:59
Hopefully someday. I still can't get over that bluing, just awesome.

Thanks Cody

It remains the nicest bluing of any firearm I own.

JONEBGD.
08-25-2012, 13:38
Hey, you all. My comment about being stupid and greedy was meant for the Sarah Palin post. I still stand by it..... I don't like her- she is a fake. Jon (I'm a pretty optimistic guy in real life.....) Hope you all understand!

glock_19guy1983
08-25-2012, 14:04
Seriously? :upeyes:

Good Lord

Kind of funny that a guy with only 4 posts is telling a guy with over 52K to get off the site.

bac1023
08-25-2012, 14:18
Kind of funny that a guy with only 4 posts is telling a guy with over 52K to get off the site.

:animlol:

SigFTW
08-25-2012, 15:19
:rofl::rofl:

bac1023
08-25-2012, 15:23
Hey, you all. My comment about being stupid and greedy was meant for the Sarah Palin post. I still stand by it..... I don't like her- she is a fake. Jon (I'm a pretty optimistic guy in real life.....) Hope you all understand!

We understand you don't like Palin, but you can't go around calling somebody an idiot for differing.

:dunno:

Wyoming
08-25-2012, 18:48

OK, I am confused. I thought this was about USFA being down to one model left in their inventory.

Where did Sarah Palin come from?

Before anybody bad mouths Sarah I want you to know that I have way more in common with her then the current President.

ChuteTheMall
08-25-2012, 18:59

I don't think so, Jon.:tongueout:

Here's one of the newest USFA models, the M4-410 with the birdcage style flash-hider on the 2" barrel.
I'm glad USFA didn't sacrifice quality as they struggled, but this design appears a bit misguided to me.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2v7xwqu.jpg

bac1023
08-25-2012, 19:42
Very nice