Hornady Critical Duty 9mm +P/.40 S&W [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Critical Duty 9mm +P/.40 S&W

Kentguy
08-24-2012, 06:38
Greetings everyone,

Yesterday my copy of "American Rifleman" showed up and I just finished reading an artical about the new (or new to me) "Critical Duty" rounds put out by Hornady.
9mm Luger (135g)
9mm Luger + P (135g)
40 S&W (175g)

http://www.hornady.com/ (http://www.hornady.com/)

The artical stated that the 9mm barrier test were done through a G17, and the accuracy/consistency test through a 4" Springfield Armory XD. very good artical and report about this new "FlexLock" non-bonded bullet. Too many details to list here but one interesting fact is the bullet weight...

"Unlike Critical Defense's FTX's, Critical Duty's FlexLock bullets are noticeably heavy-for-caliber. For example, in the 9mm Luger and 9mm Luger +P loads a 135-gr. version is used, and in .40 S&W the projectile weighs 175 grs."

"Heavy for caliber is a function of the barriers that are expected to be defeated and yet have the bullet still achieve a minimum of 12" of gelatin penetration."

"Lightweight bullets do not have the momentum to defeat barriers and achieve the required penetration depth." Because of the bullets weights and the standard propellants used, recoil is more noticeable than with Critical Defense; however, it is by no means intolerable."

I am a Hornady fan - like their 124 gr. bullets for reloading and finished ammo so this seems to be a step in the right direction for personal defense ammo, something that I will certianly have to investigate.

Just thought I'd toss this out here and see what you folks think.

M 7
08-24-2012, 08:05
The Critical Duty ammo uses a bullet that passes through and withstands barriers better than the Critical Defense ammo. I really like Critical Duty because I found the Critical Defense ammo to be a little fragile for my needs. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Zeebra724
08-25-2012, 11:32
I read that article the other night too--want to go get a couple of boxes! Went on Hornady's website and they have a nice video showing the various tests they ran...

Critical Duty Product Overview 2012 from Hornady® - YouTube

Merkavaboy
08-25-2012, 22:09
I would NEVER carry any new bullet design from any company until it has proven itself on the streets where it REALLY COUNTS.

I'm neither fool nor guinea pig for no one.

unit1069
08-25-2012, 22:38
Well that's a good video in my opinion and when the weather starts cooling in the next month I will remember to switch out my 9mm 124-grain HST +P for my 135-grain Federal Tactical Bonded +P round or my 124-grain Remington Golden Saber 124-grain +P Bonded.

It's great to have choices in self-defense ammos, and I've got a dozen of them I carry with confidence.