Would You Fire Someone For Refusing To Wear A "666" Sticker? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would You Fire Someone For Refusing To Wear A "666" Sticker?

muscogee
08-24-2012, 09:32
http://www.openforum.com/articles/would-you-fire-someone-for-refusing-to-wear-a-666-sticker

Roering
08-24-2012, 09:41
http://www.openforum.com/articles/would-you-fire-someone-for-refusing-to-wear-a-666-sticker

Nope...

JBnTX
08-24-2012, 09:44
No. I'd applaud his religious conviction.

wrenrj1
08-24-2012, 10:31
Sounds like they wanted to get rid of this guy anyway and found something to use against him. Hope he wins though.

Brucev
08-24-2012, 11:55
Good for the employee. Now that he's turning the heat up on the company and its management... they're toast. Cool.

Geko45
08-24-2012, 12:00
I would not either. I think it's a rather silly superstition, but it is a very easy request to accomdate on religious grounds as it did not impact his actual duties in any way. He should have been given a pass on the "666" sticker and he'll probably win his lawsuit (as well he should).

Lone Wolf8634
08-24-2012, 12:06
Put me in the "not worth firing" column. I may not agree, and Like Gecko said, I'd privately think it was silly. But it's one day and tomorrow he'd probly be proud to wear a "667" badge. Sounds to me like either Bossman is on a power trip, or they were desperate to get rid of this guy.

Either way, they should lose this one. Dumb, dumb reason to flex the authority muscles.

whoflungdo
08-24-2012, 12:15
I don't think he should of been fired. I don't blame him for not wanting to wear it. However, I believe the mark of the beast referenced in Revelation was to be on the head or right hand...

Bren
08-24-2012, 12:18
Would You Fire Someone For Refusing To Wear A "666" Sticker?

Can I fire him for being a superstitious nut or just plain dumb?

Here's how employement law works in real life: There are probably a LOT more reasons for firing him than that button. But the reason we hear about the button is that we are hearing his side, on an internet blog. An employer can fire him for any reason or no reason, but not a discriminatory reason. To make a legal issue of it, he has to come up with a discriminatory reason. If that's the best he could do, all we can tell from the article is that he's BSing us.

Andy W
08-24-2012, 12:25
Why did the company pick 666 days accident free as a day to celebrate being accident free? Why not 667 or 700? Any number besides 666, knowing the implications behind that term.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Geko45
08-24-2012, 12:28

Because you agree with them or because you feel that people should be afforded reasonable accommodation for their varying religious beliefs?

Geko45
08-24-2012, 12:30
Why did the company pick 666 days accident free as a day to celebrate being accident free? Why not 667 or 700? Any number besides 666, knowing the implications behind that term.

Read the article. Employees wore a sticker every day with the number of accident free days on it. The 666th day was not being singled out for celebration.

Walt_NC
08-24-2012, 13:50
Because you agree with them or because you feel that people should be afforded reasonable accommodationfor their varying religious beliefs?

Hahaha. Well played.

SPIN2010
08-24-2012, 14:13
If the employee broke policy out of a written handbook issued to all employees ... the employee is doomed.

If the employee broke some mid level managers direction that was not in the policy handbook ... he just got paid.

Bren
08-24-2012, 14:22
If the employee broke policy out of a written handbook issued to all employees ... the employee is doomed.

If the employee broke some mid level managers direction that was not in the policy handbook ... he just got paid.

If the reason was not discriminatory and the employee doesn't have a written contract saying they can't fire him, he can be fired just because they feel like firing him or because they don't like the color of shirt he wore to work. If the reason was discriminatory, it makes no difference whether a manager came up with it, or it was in a policy manual.

janice6
08-24-2012, 14:26
No he should not be fired. Nothing wrong with a "fair" accommodation of his beliefs.

Andy W
08-24-2012, 15:09
Read the article. Employees wore a sticker every day with the number of accident free days on it. The 666th day was not being singled out for celebration.

I only skimmed the article so I must have missed that part. Still, seems like the whole sticker exercise is pointless. A lot of companies will have a plaque on the wall or something counting how many days they've been without an accident but to make everyone wear a sticker is just stupid.

Geko45
08-24-2012, 15:15
I only skimmed the article so I must have missed that part. Still, seems like the whole sticker exercise is pointless. A lot of companies will have a plaque on the wall or something counting how many days they've been without an accident but to make everyone wear a sticker is just stupid.

No, not really. The problem with a plaque or sign is that eventually people tune it out. They walk past it everyday and stop noticing it after awhile. This company's policy was to have the employee write the number on a sticker and then wear it each day. Clearly, this was meant to emphasize the important of work place safety by bringing it to the forefront of their mind at least once per day. Heck, there may have been an accompanying incentive program with day targets that they could strive for too.

jakebrake
08-24-2012, 15:16

is georgia an "at will" state?

snowbird
08-24-2012, 16:06
I certainly wouldn't fire someone for refusing to wear a '666' sticker. I'm not into Satanic symbolism.

If I was the employee, I wouldn't have drawn mangement's attention to my concern, because it is predictable that they might put their foot down on this and fire me, if I insubordinately refused a direct order to wear it. With no fuss on my part, they almost certainly would fail to notice that I wore '665' or '667' on two days instead of one. A simple 'typo' mistake of one digit like this would be no big deal to any reasonable employer when dealing with an otherwise good worker. Or he could have written some fine print under the '666' number that day, explaining that this was merely the number of days without an accident. His conscience could then rest assured that he wasn't glorifying the Devil.

Was he an otherwise good worker? Good attendance record? Team player? No chip on his shoulder? The Bible says workers should be faithful to their employers in all of these ways. The Bible says 'go the extra mile'.

Gunhaver
08-24-2012, 16:52
I would definitely fire someone for being the type of person that has issues like that. No different than refusing to wear a 13 sticker. Superstition is superstition no matter how you spin it. I don't give a crap how many old books or buildings full of other nuts you can point to as validation of your irrational fears.

If my business ever gets to the point that we need to hire other people I'm going to be very careful not to hire nuts like him. Luckily I'm in a line of work that would require an advanced science degree so there's a very good chance that I can screen on that alone and be OK.

Kingarthurhk
08-24-2012, 17:29
I don't think he should be fired. But, he clearly has no concept as to what 666 actually means.

Lone Wolf8634
08-24-2012, 17:41
On a positive note, 666 days in a factory with no lost time accidents is pretty darn impressive.

When I was driving I used to go to a lot of factories and never saw one of those signs with more than 100 days on it, all to often it was less than 30 and sometimes single digits.

muscogee
08-24-2012, 18:49

How about if he wore a turban or she wore a burqa? Would you applaud the religious customs of people like that?

High-Gear
08-24-2012, 20:14
Silly to fire someone over a sticker. Silly to make it an issue in the first place.

rednoved
08-24-2012, 21:18
they almost certainly would fail to notice that I wore '665' or '667' on two days instead of one. A simple 'typo' mistake of one digit like this would be no big deal to any reasonable employer when dealing with an otherwise good worker. Or he could have written some fine print under the '666' number that day, explaining that this was merely the number of days without an accident. His conscience could then rest assured that he wasn't glorifying the Devil.

Or maybe a 665+1 sticker?:dunno:

cysoto
08-24-2012, 21:25
I am willing to bet that Mr. Hyatt was fired for more than just refusing to wear a sticker on his uniform... :whistling:

Walt_NC
08-25-2012, 17:10
You know, if he had been a union member he would have been protected from being arbitrarily fired....

I'm kidding. Put the pitchforks down.

steveksux
08-25-2012, 17:16
If Chick-Fil-A were owned by satanists, would they be able to fire someone for not wearing a 666 sticker as part of their uniform?

Randy

Woofie
08-25-2012, 19:13
Sounds like they wanted to get rid of this guy anyway and found something to use against him. Hope he wins though.

I've done plenty of plant work. They do fire people over dumb **** like this.

John Rambo
08-25-2012, 19:17
Easily solved.

"Everyone who wears the 666 sticker gets to attend our lunch bash with free food and drink." Watch how fast the 'mark of the beast' becomes a non-issue.

Woofie
08-25-2012, 19:19
If the reason was not discriminatory and the employee doesn't have a written contract saying they can't fire him, he can be fired just because they feel like firing him or because they don't like the color of shirt he wore to work. If the reason was discriminatory, it makes no difference whether a manager came up with it, or it was in a policy manual.

As I previously said, I've done plant work like this guy. I've seen people lose their jobs over something as dumb as their hard hat lanyard being the wrong color.

Having been there and seen stuff like this happen, I find the story completely plausible, especially if he was a contractor.

Woofie
08-25-2012, 19:23
No, not really. The problem with a plaque or sign is that eventually people tune it out. They walk past it everyday and stop noticing it after awhile. This company's policy was to have the employee write the number on a sticker and then wear it each day. Clearly, this was meant to emphasize the important of work place safety by bringing it to the forefront of their mind at least once per day. Heck, there may have been an accompanying incentive program with day targets that they could strive for too.

This. Keeping safety in the mind of employees helps keep down work place accidents and in that environment an accident can potentially kill a lot of people.

Woofie
08-25-2012, 19:27
On a positive note, 666 days in a factory with no lost time accidents is pretty darn impressive.

When I was driving I used to go to a lot of factories and never saw one of those signs with more than 100 days on it, all to often it was less than 30 and sometimes single digits.

I was on a job that went about 2.5 million man hours without a lost time accident. That was the best ever seen in an Exxon plant.

dbcooper
08-25-2012, 22:04
Continues the complaint: "Plaintiff['s] sincere religious belief is that to wear the number 666 would be to accept the Mark of the Beast and be condemned to hell."

Holding a sticker against you says more about God than it does about his evil employer trying to make him wear it and firing him for not doing so

n0leafcl0ver
08-25-2012, 22:09
on day 665 he should have smashed his foot or strained his eyes and had a couple days off and kept his job...

steveksux
08-26-2012, 09:00
I don't believe he is serious, has a legitimate issue with 666.

If he possessed the courage of his convictions he should have had an accident on day 665. :tongueout:

Even just getting a pinky caught in a press would have reset the clock to 0.

Randy