Atheist camp....... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Atheist camp.......

Roering
08-24-2012, 09:38
http://abcnews.go.com/US/atheist-summer-camp-heaven-earth-nonbelievers/story?id=17067039#.UDedssFlRWY

OK, I know the common belief among atheists are that it is not a religion, fine. But so far now I have seen:

1. Pamphlets
2. Billboards
3. Door to door knockers handing out pamphlets
4. Conventions

And now...

5. A summer camp

Starting to show a strong resemblance here.

Lone Wolf8634
08-24-2012, 12:02
Really? You really wanna fire this up again?

1. Pamphlets. A good way to disseminate information. As a religious indicator...not so much. The last pamphlet left on my door was for the Schwaan man.

2. Billboards. I saw one today with a picture of a puppy that read :"I'm cute, but the microbes in my poop aren't. Scoop the poop." Seems like another way to spread info to me. Religious, nah.

3. Door to door knockers handing out pamphlets. Oooh. A twofer. I've never actually had an Atheist knock on my door to hand me a pamphlet, or for any other reason. We tend to sleep in on Saturday and Sunday. But that'd be a pretty committed Atheist.:rofl:

4. Conventions. Star Trek, ComiCon, Door to door Kirby vacuum cleaner sales conventions (where they hand out pamphlets) 'Nuff said.

And now summer camps, because like minded people would never wanna hang out together and do fun things.

I actually would never go to one. Atheism is probably all I would have in common with the liberal idi...umm...I mean people that would attend.

Atheism is not a religion. It is the antithesis of religion.

Geko45
08-24-2012, 12:35
I actually would never go to one. Atheism is probably all I would have in common with the liberal idi...umm...I mean people that would attend.

I understand the thought. Being a conservative atheist myself, I kinda know how it puts us on an island.

Kingarthurhk
08-24-2012, 17:45
http://abcnews.go.com/US/atheist-summer-camp-heaven-earth-nonbelievers/story?id=17067039#.UDedssFlRWY

OK, I know the common belief among atheists are that it is not a religion, fine. But so far now I have seen:

1. Pamphlets
2. Billboards
4. Conventions

And now...

5. A summer camp

So, Atheists are just Jahova's Witnesses that decided they no longer like God, but they want to keep the routine?:supergrin:

Lone Wolf8634
08-24-2012, 17:46
I understand the thought. Being a conservative atheist myself, I kinda know how it puts us on an island.

I still don't know what to call myself. A "conservative Atheist" is kinda a contradiction in terms since so much of conservatism relies so heavily on religion. Yet, and I know JBinTX will hate this:supergrin:, I have more in common with conservatives than I ever will with liberals or even moderates.

So all you theists, I'm right there with ya, till ya get sidetracked on that religion controlling people thingy.

Lone Wolf8634
08-24-2012, 17:51
So, Atheists are just Jahova's Witnesses that decided they no longer like God, but they want to keep the routine?:supergrin:

My stepdaughter used to date my best friend. (I married an older woman and my friend is a few years younger than me, puts them fairly close in age, if you were curious.)

Anyway, she's an Atheist also, and my friend is a lapsed JW. (so lapsed in fact, his family disowned him, there's some tolerance for ya)

Anyway again, when they became engaged (for a very short time) the running joke in the family was:

What do you get when you cross an Atheist with a Jehovah's Witness?

Someone who will knock on your door at 7am on Saturday for absolutely no reason at all.:supergrin:

Kingarthurhk
08-24-2012, 18:02
My stepdaughter used to date my best friend. (I married an older woman and my friend is a few years younger than me, puts them fairly close in age, if you were curious.)

Anyway, she's an Atheist also, and my friend is a lapsed JW. (so lapsed in fact, his family disowned him, there's some tolerance for ya)

Anyway again, when they became engaged (for a very short time) the running joke in the family was:

What do you get when you cross an Atheist with a Jehovah's Witness?

Someone who will knock on your door at 7am on Saturday for absolutely no reason at all.:supergrin:

:rofl: LOL, that is funny.

JBnTX
08-24-2012, 20:22
If atheism is a religion, then what do they believe in?

Don't tell me what they don't believe in, tell me what they do believe in.

For atheism to stand on it's own as a religion, you should be able
to define it without mentioning God or criticizing other religions.

Now tell me what atheists believe in?

High-Gear
08-24-2012, 20:29

Atheism is not a religion!

As for what I believe...

I believe I'll have another BEER! :drink:

Altaris
08-24-2012, 20:39
Atheism is just as much of a religion as Not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Geko45
08-24-2012, 20:49
So all you theists, I'm right there with ya, till ya get sidetracked on that religion controlling people thingy.

Amen, brother!

JBnTX
08-24-2012, 20:50
Atheism is just as much of a religion as Not collecting stamps is a hobby.

:agree:

Geko45
08-24-2012, 20:55
:agree:

Wow! I found common ground with JB!? What an unexpected conclusion to the day!

:wavey:

Guss
08-24-2012, 21:01

1. Pamphlets
2. Billboards
4. Conventions

And now...

5. A summer camp

Those techniques work for anyone, regardless of religion or lack of it. Did you think religions had a copyright or something?

Geko45
08-24-2012, 21:12
Those techniques work for anyone, regardless of religion or lack of it. Did you think religions had a copyright or something?

I thought he was talking about Amway.

:dunno:

cysoto
08-24-2012, 21:20
I thought he was talking about Amway.

Are they still around?

JBnTX
08-24-2012, 21:36
Wow! I found common ground with JB!? What an unexpected conclusion to the day!

:wavey:

That doesn't mean we'll be taking long showers together.

High-Gear
08-24-2012, 22:10

Expressing your secret desires now? After your anti-gay rants some have to wonder?

Geko45
08-24-2012, 22:20
Expressing your secret desires now? After your anti-gay rants some have to wonder?

Nah, I just have that effect on people. Just look at CavDoc's obsession with me. I'm completely straight, but seem to be a lightning rod for pent up and denied homosexual desire.

Geko45
08-24-2012, 22:20
Are they still around?

Apparently.

Woofie
08-24-2012, 23:27
I still don't know what to call myself. A "conservative Atheist" is kinda a contradiction in terms since so much of conservatism relies so heavily on religion. Yet, and I know JBinTX will hate this:supergrin:, I have more in common with conservatives than I ever will with liberals or even moderates.

I would propose that you are confusing Republicans for conservatives.

Cavalry Doc
08-25-2012, 13:31

1. Pamphlets
2. Billboards
4. Conventions

And now...

5. A summer camp

Chaplains, churches, meetings, political action committees, special interest organizations............

You can even be "ordained" in the First Church of Atheism. (http://firstchurchofatheism.com/become-ordained/)

The list goes on and on.

Some can't see it though.

Kingarthurhk
08-25-2012, 13:35
Chaplains, churches, meetings, political action committees, special interest organizations............

You can even be "ordained" in the First Church of Atheism. (http://firstchurchofatheism.com/become-ordained/)

The list goes on and on.

Perhaps they are non-denominational Atheists...:supergrin:

Cavalry Doc
08-25-2012, 13:37

Per the definition of atheist:

athe·ist
noun \ˈā-thē-ist\
Definition of ATHEIST
: one who believes that there is no deity

They believe in a universe without an intentional beginning or end.

It's rather simple. I've discovered that many atheistic agnostics have mistakenly labeled themselves as atheists, but that is still a controversial point.

Cavalry Doc
08-25-2012, 13:39
Atheism is not a religion!

As for what I believe...

I believe I'll have another BEER! :drink:

http://i.eatliver.com/2008/3541.jpg

You do that. But I've seen proselytizing at least as aggressive, if not more here than any Jehovah's witness I've encountered at my front door.

Kingarthurhk
08-25-2012, 14:06

That's a disturbing image. I see it going something like this:

http://cheezpictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/wtf_pics-cookie-militia.jpg

:rofl:

steveksux
08-25-2012, 14:19

1. Pamphlets
2. Billboards
4. Conventions

And now...

5. A summer camp

So if the Romney campaign had a summer camp, he'd be a religion? :rofl::rofl:

I guess if you distort/dilute the definition of religion far enough, almost anything could be considered a religion. Much to the detriment and denigration of genuine religions. Next thing you know, hockey and football form the basis of religions. Where have I seen that before? I seem to remember a thread on this very topic...

Randy

steveksux
08-25-2012, 14:21
Nah, I just have that effect on people. Just look at CavDoc's obsession with me. I'm completely straight, but seem to be a lightning rod for pent up and denied homosexual desire.
Unrequited love does tend to look pretty bad in print... :rofl:

Funny how that works, it makes so much sense to the stalker in their own mind though....

Randy

Woofie
08-25-2012, 19:09

The list goes on and on.

That's kind of pathetic. A justice of the peace can just as easily perform a wedding and leave out the god stuff.

I wonder if being an ordained minister looks good on a resume. It's free, after all.

Cavalry Doc
08-25-2012, 20:39
That's kind of pathetic. A justice of the peace can just as easily perform a wedding and leave out the god stuff.

I wonder if being an ordained minister looks good on a resume. It's free, after all.

Oh, I get the difference, but they are seeking to be ordained as atheists.

I haven't filled out an application, do they ask any theological questions?

Lone Wolf8634
08-25-2012, 20:48
I would propose that you are confusing Republicans for conservatives.

I wouldn't argue with you.

Woofie
08-25-2012, 20:56
Oh, I get the difference, but they are seeking to be ordained as atheists.

I haven't filled out an application, do they ask any theological questions?

Feeling the need to be ordained atheist is the part I found pathetic.

I haven't looked at the application yet.

Bren
08-28-2012, 09:49

1. Pamphlets
2. Billboards
4. Conventions

And now...

5. A summer camp

There are all of those things for gun rights and shooting.

It is belief in a supernatural supreme being that makes it a religion, rather than anything from a hobby to a political belief to a philosophy.

TheExplorer
08-28-2012, 09:53
I don't believe in categorizing an entire group for doing this or that. I have far-right, far-left and atheist friends. None of them have ever pushed a religious agenda on the others and that's what makes them my friends.

Bren
08-28-2012, 09:58

Being a "minister" with a "church" gets you some very important special rights from the government that atheists don't get, like not paying property or income taxes on the church's land and income.

A a "justice of the peace" is a govenrment job - you don't just decide to be one, so you can perform marriages. You have to be elected or appointed. Therefore, being a minister is the only real way of getting the benefits and powers the government gives ministers. Then, even if your state has justices of the peace (mine does not) they don't get a tax break like a church.

The obvious problem has to do with the government giving special rights to churches.

dbcooper
08-28-2012, 10:12
Are they still around?

Sure are, I know someone who can show you the business plan, ya doing anything on Saturday for say 16 hours or so?

void *
08-28-2012, 11:35
And now...

5. A summer camp

I'll be sure to let all the kids who have gone to a skateboarding camp, or a computer camp, or a /camping/ camp, that skateboarding, computers, and camping are now their religion.

Geko45
08-28-2012, 11:42
Sure are, I know someone who can show you the business plan, ya doing anything on Saturday for say 16 hours or so?

Let me check my calendar. Ah, sorry... Looks like I'm gouging my own eyeball out with a rusty fork that day.

John Rambo
08-28-2012, 11:58

1. Pamphlets
2. Billboards
4. Conventions

And now...

5. A summer camp

Pfft, summer camp. You ever seen what they've gotta do to deprogram Scientologists?

Roering
08-28-2012, 12:34
Pfft, summer camp. You ever seen what they've gotta do to deprogram Scientologists?

Take them to a library and show them what section the Dianetics book is in? :dunno:

John Rambo
08-28-2012, 12:42
Take them to a library and show them what section the Dianetics book is in? :dunno:

:rofl:

Gunhaver
08-28-2012, 12:50
I personally have no objection to atheism being considered a religion. The perks are too good to pass up. No taxes, the ability to "win" any argument by simply parroting the same BS over and over again, being able to complain any time anything bad was done to another atheist as religious persecution. It would be awesome. I think every organization should do it.

Woofie
08-28-2012, 13:15
Being a "minister" with a "church" gets you some very important special rights from the government that atheists don't get, like not paying property or incomce taxes on the church's land and income.

being a "justice of the peace" is a govenrment job - you don't just decide to be one, so you can perform marriages. You ahve to be elected or appointed. Therefore, being a minister is the only real way of getting the benefits and powers the government gives ministers. Then, even if you state has justices of the peace (mine does not) they don't get a tax break like a church.

The obvious problem has to do with the government giving special rights to churches.

I don't disagree with any of that. The part I was referring to as pathetic was the reason behind the founder starting their program. They said they couldn't find a non denominational preacher to do their wedding ceremony and leave out all the god stuff. A justice of the peace would have done that and saved them the trouble of starting a new religion.

High-Gear
08-28-2012, 14:19
I don't disagree with any of that. The part I was referring to as pathetic was the reason behind the founder starting their program. They said they couldn't find a non denominational preacher to do their wedding ceremony and leave out all the god stuff. A justice of the peace would have done that and saved them the trouble of starting a new religion.
I don't doubt their justice of the peace slipped God into their ceremony.

When I testify in court I do not swear an oath, rather I affirm to tell the truth. Swearing to a god I don't believe in does not make much sense. However I have had a judge read the affirmation and end it with "So help you god?". :faint:

I declined and we had to have a discussion about the god part. This was a probable cause hearing, I would not have done that in front of a jury.

Some people just can not leave god out od the equation.

Woofie
08-28-2012, 16:15
I don't doubt their justice of the peace slipped God into their ceremony.

When I testify in court I do not swear an oath, rather I affirm to tell the truth. Swearing to a god I don't believe in does not make much sense. However I have had a judge read the affirmation and end it with "So help you god?". :faint:

I declined and we had to have a discussion about the god part. This was a probable cause hearing, I would not have done that in front of a jury.

Some people just can not leave god out od the equation.

They had a non denominational minister.

ksg0245
08-28-2012, 21:22
Being a "minister" with a "church" gets you some very important special rights from the government that atheists don't get, like not paying property or incomce taxes on the church's land and income.

being a "justice of the peace" is a govenrment job - you don't just decide to be one, so you can perform marriages. You ahve to be elected or appointed. Therefore, being a minister is the only real way of getting the benefits and powers the government gives ministers. Then, even if you state has justices of the peace (mine does not) they don't get a tax break like a church.

I'm an ordained minister, but don't attempt to dodge taxes or anything.