Tulammo.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tulammo..

tazmaniandevil
08-24-2012, 10:40
I've heard mixed reviews about Tulammo, and wanted to gather some intelligence from people who have used it before I go order a case of it. I'm shooting .40, so anyone else who has any expirience with Tulammo's .40 in a glock is more than welcome to tell me the pros, and cons on it! Bought ammo at basspro, and im like 18.97 for WWB? really? gonna look at some steel cased stuff..lol thanks gents!

jrpro130
08-24-2012, 12:06
Tula worked just fine in my 27. I put 300rds through it just this past week. Just gets extremely dirty! Sure there is a bunch of hooplah about it's bad for the barell and such, I can't say either way. I don't know if it does any damage, but I don't believe everything I read on here. It is cheap and works just fine for me.

I don't usually use it, I prefer blazer brass, but whatever I can find cheap is good by me!

crazyasian1
08-24-2012, 12:28
Not just dirty, filthy. I've fired a few hundred rounds of it with no issues other than my gun gets... discusting

:rofl::tongueout::rofl::tongueout::rofl:

wmodavis
08-24-2012, 13:14
Because of the really good price I bought a couple of boxes from Wally. Ran them through my G23 without a problem. Ended up buying some more including some for my .380. Shot a couple of more boxes of .40 and a couple boxes of .380. Still no problem with it in the G23 and because of some who complain of it being dirty took a close look and saw no evidence that there was any more 'discusting' or "dirty, filthy' buildup. Of course I was not firing from a prone position with my gun in the dirt. However in my .380 I did have several FTLs but other than that it was OK - meaning not noticably dirtier that I've noticed with other ammo. It's my plinking ammo. Just bought 400 more rounds to plink.

9mm +p+
08-24-2012, 13:51
I've run 9mm through my 19 and 26, no issues.

jrpro130
08-24-2012, 15:33
I had a lot of fte with the .380 so I no longer use it

Should be wrenching instead of using TapaTalk

robhic
08-24-2012, 16:11
I've used a bunch of it in my 3 9mm pistols. ONLY problem I've had was a FTFeed in the G26. I use TULA almost exclusively in my 17 and at times in my 19. No problems and no excessive buildup because I clean after EVERY trip to the range. As range only ammo, TULA, the different color BEAR ammos and Wolf "military classic" work fine when I've use them all.

manonmars
08-24-2012, 16:53
I've only used 9mm in my g26.

Unfortunately, I get a 2% FTFire ratio overall.

I'll use it for practice, but not for carry.

But then again, you asked about 40, not 9, so nevermind.:supergrin::upeyes:

FFR Spyder GT
08-25-2012, 07:03
I've fired +1,000 rds of the stuff through my G23 and G35 without a hiccup. Another +1,000rds through a MP5-40. My MP5 doesn't like it because it's too weak of a load.

Plus another +400rds of .45acp through a Taurus PT845 and +500rds through a 1911.

+2,500rds of 9mm through my G23's LW 40-9 conversion barrel.

hotpig
08-25-2012, 07:09
Going out with my slide fire to burn off a few hundred rounds of 223. I do not expect any problem.

I have on occasion hard primers in the 9mm. Every round fired the second time thru.

SGT278ACR
08-27-2012, 21:15
I've used several hundred rounds of it in both my G22 and my G26. I've had maybe 2 FTF's. In all honesty I find it to be no worse than any other kind of cheap range/practice ammo. I didn't notice my weapons being any dirtier either.

mingaa
08-27-2012, 21:28
I use it in my SKS and AKs - that's about it. I've had ARs act up / choke with very few rounds and am looking to start reloading brass for my pistols rather than lowering ammo quality. I see a lot of people using it - even in matches. I'm sure it's getting better but until it goes the route of Cabelas Herter line (bargain brass by Selllier & Beloit) I'm staying my course.

voomie
09-01-2012, 11:08
Cheap but dirty. If you are good on cleaning then it shouldn't be a problem.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

shogun1975
09-02-2012, 09:21
My Glock 21 loves it.
My DPMS AP4 loves it.
My AK47 loves it.
My 1911 loves it.
My S&W .357 loves it.
The only issues I can really confirm is that it is dirtier than brass. I am not an expert but, from what I can find and figure is that the steel casings do not seal around the projectile as well as brass and this causes more "carbon blowby". I don't know. I can honestly say I have shot many round of this ammo and never run into any issues...This is just my amateur findings.

cadillacguns
09-03-2012, 03:25
By now someone has passed on the Tula is dirty myth, no difference from any other brand, fire a few hundred brand X cartridges, notice how dirty your glock is? Now fire the same ammount of cartridges of Tula. No difference. An urban legend in the works to be sure. Buy it, shoot it, clean your Glock period. It is my OUTDOOR range practice ammo, as the INDOOR range I frequent does not allow it, or I would use it all the time for practice. I have fired lots of it through my 9mm and .40 glocks, all work just fine.

MK34_Techrep
09-03-2012, 06:23
By now someone has passed on the Tula is dirty myth, no difference from any other brand, fire a few hundred brand X cartridges, notice how dirty your glock is? Now fire the same ammount of cartridges of Tula. No difference. An urban legend in the works to be sure. Buy it, shoot it, clean your Glock period. It is my OUTDOOR range practice ammo, as the INDOOR range I frequent does not allow it, or I would use it all the time for practice. I have fired lots of it through my 9mm and .40 glocks, all work just fine.

DITTO,
I have put around 500 rds thru my G22 Gen4 and have not had any problems, and the gun is not ditier than firing any other round which for me is the wally world Federal. I have no problem with the tulammo and I recommend it to my friends who are just plinking at the range.

Schrag4
09-03-2012, 13:17
I've only tried a couple of boxes of 9mm and a couple of .40. The 9mm was used in a Ruger SR9c with no issues. The .40 was used in a Glock 22 and I had failures to feed, BUT, I was using those cheap Korean mags at the time. I've had maybe 2 or 3 failures to feed with WWB and Federal Champion out of many hundreds of rounds with these mags, but Tula was failing to feed maybe 30% of the time. I suspect it would probably feed just fine in OEM Glock mags.

I really just bought it on a whim because the local WalMart was out of the bulk packs of Fed Champion. The stores near me charge about the same per round of Tula in the 50rnd boxes and Fed Champion in the 100 round boxes, so IMO there's no reason for me to buy Tula.

Dalton Wayne
09-03-2012, 14:29
That's all I run in my AK works great

Kingarthurhk
09-03-2012, 15:44
I run steel casings Russian made ammo through my AK (no corrosive), because its cheap and I am not going to do any reloading. Also, the AK is made to run on dirty crappy ammo.

PaunchyP
09-04-2012, 11:25
I've run 300 through my Glock 17 no problems and not as dirty as it was made out to be. I expected a lot more smoke when firing and more grunge in the chamber and barrel when I broke it down. So over all I'm very pleased with my experience.

kenndapp
09-04-2012, 15:02
Does Tula use hard primers like wolf or other foreign ammo?

Brucev
09-04-2012, 15:25
I have fired well over four cases of .40 S&W 180 gr. FJM Tula ammo through a G-22RTF with 100% perfect function and on target results. In every way it is fully equivalent to comparable loads produced by any of the domestic manufacturers.

In Dec. 2011 I bought a RIA 1911-A1. I have fired approximately 700 rounds of .45 ACP 230 gr. FMJ Tula ammo through this pistol. Like the .40 S&W ammo, it has produced 100% excellent results.

I like the Tula ammo. At the one and only public indoor range in my area, one is not allowed to retrieve fired brass that lands on the floor. I can use the Tula steel cased .45 ACP and let the empty cases fly wherever they go. It does not matter. As well when I am out walking in the woods/fields these steel cased .45's are just ideal for plinking, target shooting, etc. I can enjoy shooting and not have to spend time scrounging around in the grass and brush trying to recover fired brass for later use in reloading.

ADK_40GLKr
09-05-2012, 05:50
I'd bought a 900 rd "sardine can" of the 9 mm stuff when my G17 was new, and had a few issues, but after the gun limbered up, it was OK.

A bit dirty, but after a few drops of Hoppe's #9 with my copper brush (as I do after EVERY range session), the barrel was clean as a whistle!

tcruse
09-05-2012, 11:40
I have seen some hard primers, but not enough to be a problem. The only think that keeps me from using it more is that the indoor ranges that I go to will not allow bi-metal jackets. They claims that it is a fire hazard.

Wolfdad
09-05-2012, 20:04
I use 9mm and 45acp Tula ammo. Works fine and is reliable. Haven't tried it in 40 yet.

ChiefWPD
09-05-2012, 20:19
I've used quite a bit in my Glock 17. As others have pointed out; dirty but reliable. Great, inexpensive ammo for shooting drills and just having fun.

mj9mm
09-05-2012, 20:26
if you are not a reloader, it's cheap ammo to run. obviously we use it on targets, it's safe and gets you alot more practice shooting than remington. i've had a lot more issues with white box than tula, buy it and enjoy:cool:

Andy W
09-05-2012, 21:16
In 9mm it feels about like any other target load. In .40 it feels pretty weak. In .223 I guess it feels like any other 55 grain load.

The only problem I've ever had with it is that it has hard primers sometimes. However, I know a guy who claims to have KB'd an FN FAL while firing Tulammo (I assume it was .308) through it and now he won't sell it in his shop. He blames it on the ammo but it could have been anything. I wasn't there so I don't know.

TnShooter83
09-07-2012, 00:33
Does Tula use hard primers like wolf or other foreign ammo?

They are harder than Federal Champion primers. At least in 9x19
because I had a pistol NOT fire Tula and it would fire Federal.
You could look at the primer and tell the difference in the marks.
I'd say it was the hammer spring on the pistol and not really Tula ammo fault because I've never had this issue with any other pistols shooting Tula.

I pretty much stick to brass since any more because I give them to a friend that reloads.

Paul Revear
10-08-2014, 18:47
Thread resurrected..
My G30 LOVES this stuff. I found. It for $160/ 500 rounds online. I've had no issues.

For defense round I'm a fan of the Speed Gold Dots.