Getting pelted by brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting pelted by brass

stsai465
08-24-2012, 12:45
Have a question for the firearms experts here.

I purchased my elderly mother (~70) a pistol because I wanted to make sure she could protect herself and my invalid father, in the event of break-in. Yesterday I took her to the range to teach her the basics of handling/loading/unloading and firing the gun.

During this time, she was getting pelted continuously by the brass, one even managed to singe her near her eyelid (flew up and over the eye protect). When I fire the same gun, the brass flies to the right as one would expect. I tried swapping to a different pistol and got similar results.

What should I be looking for? Weak wrists? Poor grip? Poor trigger pull? Weapon I bought for her was an FNH-FNP-9. The other pistol we tried was a Glock 34. The only pistol she can fire without being pelted by brass was my Browning Buckmark 22, but I don't consider that a valid HD weapon.

plouffedaddy
08-24-2012, 12:59
What should I be looking for? Weak wrists? Poor grip? Poor trigger pull?

Yes.

I teach a lot of new shooters with the occasional elderly woman showing up for training. Some (small percentage, but they do exist) simply don't have the strength to shoot most semi-autos reliably. That said, most do with proper technique. For those that don't, a solid 38 revolver may be the answer (last resort).

Here's what you should be looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jYfxRAc-5o&feature=youtu.be

plouffedaddy
08-24-2012, 13:00
deleted

WoodenPlank
08-24-2012, 13:18
Brass to the face almost always equals limp wristing. Worst case can cause a malfunction in a semi-auto. Shooters with poor hand and wrist strength are almost always better off with a medium size revolver.

vafish
08-24-2012, 13:35
Brass to the face almost always equals limp wristing. Worst case can cause a malfunction in a semi-auto. Shooters with poor hand and wrist strength are almost always better off with a medium size revolver.

Unless they have bad arthritis in their fingers and don't have the strength to pull a double action trigger.

Single action is an option in that case.

WoodenPlank
08-24-2012, 13:40
Unless they have bad arthritis in their fingers and don't have the strength to pull a double action trigger.

Single action is an option in that case.

True. My mother is in her 60s, and has had problems in the past with DA revolvers. She now has a larger S&W K-frame (EDIT: 327PD - 8 shot .357MAG with fiber front sight and titanium cylinder) that she can shoot just fine in DA thanks to the performance center trigger, and the massive Hogue grips make recoil with even Magnum loads manageable for her.

fnfalman
08-24-2012, 16:20
A good gunsmith can bring the revolver DA pull down to past 8-lbs and the gun can still have reliable ignition. An old SW M10 for less than $300 plus maybe an $80 trigger job is a lot better option for older people who aren't even into guns than some sort of plastic phantastic with this lever and that lever and this button and that button, and has to be held this way or that way in order for it to go bang again and again.

stsai465
08-24-2012, 16:38
Thanks all. My mom doesn't have arthritis, but being 70 and not one who's ever done weight-training, her grip and wrist strength are kind of suspect. She doesn't have finger strength issues that I can tell, but it looks to me like the recoil is causing the guns to snap back more in her hands than mine.

If I am forced to switch to a revolver, I'm guessing a .38 is the best solution for a weaker shooter?

MLittle
08-24-2012, 16:51
Too bad you already bought your mother that pistol...... You probably would have been better off renting a variety of guns at you local range and having her try some revolvers along with the pistols. I don't think I would recommend a pistol for an eldery lady. My wife and I are in our 60's and she finds it impossible to rack the slide on any of my pistols......she lacks the strength in her arms to do so. If you're going to have and maintain a pistol for self defense you must be able to rack its slide and be able to effectively clear malfunctions. I will also join the chorus and say that I'd recommend a small, steel framed revolver for your mother. I like Rugers alot and think she might like a Ruger SP101, 357mag with a 3inch barrel. I would have her shoot 38+p rounds in it... At 26oz shooting 38spl's is very comfortable with very managable recoil. You could even add Hogue Tamer grips and it would be a very easy revolver to handle and shoot. There's nothing wrong with 38+p rounds....I favor the 135 grain short barrel Speer Gold Dot rounds. They perform as well as many 9mm +p rounds. Good luck!!

fnfalman
08-24-2012, 17:01
If I am forced to switch to a revolver, I'm guessing a .38 is the best solution for a weaker shooter?

Yes. And not a snubnose either. A good old fashion used cheap SW M10 K-frame with a 4" barrel, of which millions have been made and are still available for sales at various gun shops (or online by JG Sales in Arizona) with a good DA trigger job will do her just fine.

WoodenPlank
08-25-2012, 00:24
Yes. And not a snubnose either. A good old fashion used cheap SW M10 K-frame with a 4" barrel, of which millions have been made and are still available for sales at various gun shops (or online by JG Sales in Arizona) with a good DA trigger job will do her just fine.

This. Just don't get the trigger job done TOO light, or it can induce reliability issues. The trigger in my mother's 327PD is probably about 6 pounds in DA, very similar to the DAK trigger in my SIG 229.

faawrenchbndr
08-25-2012, 03:21
What they said,..........

n0leafcl0ver
08-25-2012, 04:57
defense style 12ga....pistol grip..lol jk

stsai465
08-25-2012, 08:42
She's not strong enough to hold a shotgun properly; I've tried. The only way she can hold it is firing from the hip and we didn't even get to trying to firing live rounds. As someone who has intentionally fired live rounds "pistol-grip only" (just to see what it was like), it's not something I think is a good idea for her.