Since No One Else Decided To Make Anything Like It... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Since No One Else Decided To Make Anything Like It...

quichedem
08-24-2012, 14:58
...I picked up a Walther PPS in .40. If anyone recognizes my whining that no companies were offering a slim, sub-compact .40, you know I had my eyes set on one of these.
Fit and finish are amazing, and the pistol feels rock solid. Hopefully, I'll get to run some rounds through it tomorrow. As of right now, I'm very happy with this purchase! Next stop: Plenty of rounds, a holster, and flush-fit magazine(s). Here's the crappy phone pic to prove it happened:

Happy Friday, indeed!

ctfireman
08-24-2012, 16:37
The quality is great but it is the least fun gun i ever fired, i hated everything about it. Sold it for what i paid. I hope you like it more than i did.

Haldor
08-24-2012, 17:23
I tried a PPS in 9mm out at the range. Nice shooting gun. A bit expensive though for what you get.

You do know the M&P Shield comes in .40 S&W right.

FiremanMike
08-24-2012, 17:35
By no other companies, you mean aside from kahr and smith and Wesson, right?

quichedem
08-24-2012, 18:16
Here's the short of it:
Really wanted the Nano in .40. N/A. Beretta doesn't seem to have any plans for it any time soon, either.
Don't care for Kahr (yes, I've shot one). I also don't believe in guns that require a "break-in" round count. This ain't the 1800's.
Comparable Ruger, N/A.
Never cared for S&W's hinged trigger system. Ever. Refuse to spend extra cash for that fancy replacement trigger people seem to like in their Shields.

Ideally, if GLOCK would produce a slim, sub-compact .40, I would prefer it. That has been complained about to death and beyond around here, so that's all for that. Any small .40 is going to be a handful. I'm sure the PPS will be pretty snappy, but I expect that. Every handgun I have is in .40. I'll try to post a range report if I can get it out this weekend.

robotoid
08-24-2012, 19:03
I was glad I got to test shoot a PPS .40 before I bought, because it is without doubt the most snappy recoiling gun I've ever shot. On par with .357 mag J frames. Good luck.

quichedem
08-24-2012, 19:11
I was glad I got to test shoot a PPS .40 before I bought, because it is without doubt the most snappy recoiling gun I've ever shot. On par with .357 mag J frames. Good luck.

Well, if it's like that, I think the PPS and I will get along just fine. I had a friend with one of those, and it didn't bother me.

Any which way, if I don't like it, I can't imagine I'd have too much of a hard time selling it.

Mercedesrover
08-24-2012, 20:00
Haven't shot the .40 but have a PPS in 9mm and I can't think of anything else like it. It's by far the easiest non-pocket pistol I have to conceal. It's the single stack that Glock should have built.

quichedem
08-24-2012, 20:11
Haven't shot the .40 but have a PPS in 9mm and I can't think of anything else like it. It's by far the easiest non-pocket pistol I have to conceal. It's the single stack that Glock should have built.

This.

breacher1
08-24-2012, 20:22
Taurus PT740 Slim. Bought it on a whim and it has far exceeded my expectations. 1000+ flawless rds, awesome trigger (like a tuned 1911 and short reset)

I shot it in the off duty pistol match (3.5" barrel or less) at the NRA PPC Nationals and took 3rd place against some expensive custom baby 1911 type pistols. It was way too funny.

Some have heavier triggers but my dealer let me dry fire the 4 in his case and pick the best one. Paid just $350. but I've seen them for less online.

ca survivor
08-25-2012, 10:30
...I picked up a Walther PPS in .40. If anyone recognizes my whining that no companies were offering a slim, sub-compact .40, you know I had my eyes set on one of these.
Fit and finish are amazing, and the pistol feels rock solid. Hopefully, I'll get to run some rounds through it tomorrow. As of right now, I'm very happy with this purchase! Next stop: Plenty of rounds, a holster, and flush-fit magazine(s). Here's the crappy phone pic to prove it happened:

Happy Friday, indeed!
I'm interested to know how you like the .40 in the PPS, I was thinking in getting one, but in 9mm, even though I love the .40 round. thanks

bac1023
08-25-2012, 11:46
Congrats on a very nice pistol :cool:

dakrat
08-25-2012, 14:00
By no other companies, you mean aside from kahr and smith and Wesson, right?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

alexanderg23
08-25-2012, 14:43
Springfield is making their XDs in 40 and 9.

Bruce M
08-25-2012, 16:42
Enjoy your PPS! (I like to think of it as a slightly different Shorty .40...)

RYT 2BER
08-26-2012, 08:41
I have a PPS in 40. I find it easy to shoot

quichedem
08-26-2012, 10:00
For all of you who congratulated me, thanks!
I'm gonna attempt a range trip this afternoon. Might be the only chance I get for a week or so (Hurricane Isaac). I've read up on the Walther forum about the previous backstrap issues in the PPS. I've noticed that it's definitely a design flaw. While mine works just fine (fingers crossed that it stays that way), it does concern me. For those wondering what I'm talking about: In order to even field strip the PPS, the backstrap must be removed (Mine is a BB date code). The only thing keeping the backstrap secure to the frame is a questionably small tab, made of polymer, that contacts a little steel tab on the frame. Since polymer looses the fight with steel (wear-wise), it will eventually fail. Like it or not, this is a future problem that will have to be addressed at some point-as the backstrap must be removed in order for me to field strip the pistol to clean it. I clean all my carry pistols before I carry them. While I've seen some people resort to surgery to install their own pin, I would rather just buy another backstrap. From what I have read, the backstraps are as easy to come by as a McRib sandwich. So as long as I can get to the range today, I'll post a report for those considering the PPS in .40. Thanks again for everyone who offered well wishes.

RYT 2BER
08-26-2012, 14:33
For all of you who congratulated me, thanks!
I'm gonna attempt a range trip this afternoon. Might be the only chance I get for a week or so (Hurricane Isaac). I've read up on the Walther forum about the previous backstrap issues in the PPS. I've noticed that it's definitely a design flaw. While mine works just fine (fingers crossed that it stays that way), it does concern me. For those wondering what I'm talking about: In order to even field strip the PPS, the backstrap must be removed (Mine is a BB date code). The only thing keeping the backstrap secure to the frame is a questionably small tab, made of polymer, that contacts a little steel tab on the frame. Since polymer looses the fight with steel (wear-wise), it will eventually fail. Like it or not, this is a future problem that will have to be addressed at some point-as the backstrap must be removed in order for me to field strip the pistol to clean it. I clean all my carry pistols before I carry them. While I've seen some people resort to surgery to install their own pin, I would rather just buy another backstrap. From what I have read, the backstraps are as easy to come by as a McRib sandwich. So as long as I can get to the range today, I'll post a report for those considering the PPS in .40. Thanks again for everyone who offered well wishes.

You DO NOT need to remove the backstrap. Just pull the trigger (unloaded of course!). Just like you do on a glock, and off comes the slide..

I've never stripped mine via the backstrap...