In-vehicle preps...and I missing anything? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : In-vehicle preps...and I missing anything?

Warp
08-24-2012, 21:09
I reviewed the contents of my Rubbermaid 35 gallon storage box today. I also made a couple of small additions, and I wrote everything down. It contains:

-JNC660, 1700 peak amp jump starter/12v power source
-20', 4 gauge, heavy duty jumper cables
-Auto fire extinguisher
-1/2 gallon bottle of water
-1 gallon antifreeze
-3", 30', 30k lb rated recovery strap
-Hitch for D-ring shackle
-2x 4.75T D-rings
-6x 30 minute Orion road flares, MFG. Feb 2011
-Drop cloths in 4x10 and 8x12
-Assorted bungee cords
-Trailer hitch w/ball
-Windshield wiper blade
-1 pair work gloves
-Ice scraper
-2x shop rags
-Medium funnel
-Spout for my Scepter MFCs
-1qt Royal Purple synthetic motor oil
-Serpentine belt (OEM, taken off vehicle, still in great condition)
-GearWrench ratcheting wrench serpentine belt tool
-Screwdriver/monkey wrench/fixed blade knife
-Radiator hose repair kit
-Heater hose repair kit
-150 pc automotive fuse kit
-Full roll of duct tape (Gorilla tape)
-Adapter for 7 pin - 4 flat for trailering
-Yellow reflective safety vest
-3x 2,400 calorie ER emergency ration bars
-Pair of kaki cargo pants
-Brown gun belt
-2x cotton T-shirts
-Hooded sweatshirt
-Columbia waterproof/breathable rain jacket
-Poncho
-Warm/thick vest
-Baseball cap
-Tennis shoes
-5.11 HRT boots

When fall/winter rolls around a worthy winter coat will be included, and probably balaclava as well as gloves, especially when traveling.

All of this, and a few little odds and ends I didn't get written down, fits into this:
Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 1191 ActionPacker Storage Box, 35-Gallon: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31plGFYpSmL.@@AMEPARAM@@31plGFYpSmL

I also have a my BOB/GHB, 6 (?) gallon Scepter water can, some flashlights, maps, leatherman multi tool, and a few other items in this car.

Is there ANYTHING that I am 'missing'?

We're about to drive all over half of the country again soon, and then again a couple months after that, so I want to figure out now if I am missing anything important.

The BOB/GHB has a some more clothing, water filter, basic first aid kit, and other simple/basic GHB type stuff in it.

bdcochran
08-24-2012, 21:56
1. water purifier, not water filter
2. cup, spoon, knife, fork, clean rags/towel

(not able to keep in mind everything that you listed.)

I throw in a windbreaker, zip lock bags and a couple extra water bottles.

Warp
08-24-2012, 22:03
1. water purifier, not water filter
2. cup, spoon, knife, fork, clean rags/towel

(not able to keep in mind everything that you listed.)

I throw in a windbreaker, zip lock bags and a couple extra water bottles.

Explain more about purifier vs filter. I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro in the GHB.

There are a few bottles of water (I didn't list them, total a gallon probably) in the GHB. And, of course, the 6 gallons of water in the Scepter water container.

There are not currently any utensils or dishware type items. There are almost always paper towels in the car. I could add a towel, which is something that goes along somewhat often anyway, usually for dog's feet. Speaking of which, I need to add a bowl to give water to dogs in, and spare leashes and maybe collars.

bdcochran
08-24-2012, 22:25
Purifier - makes the water clean. Like steripin unit.

Filter - takes out some, but not necessarily all viruses, bacteria, impurities.

DrMaxit
08-25-2012, 01:18
I would probably try to stuff in another gallon of water in there somehow too. But that looks like a pretty damn good kit. Do you have a separate first aid kit as well? If not I would definitely put some first aid items in there.

Keep it up! I'm looking to build something like this myself and you just gave me one hell of a starting point.

TexasGlockster
08-25-2012, 06:49
I would also think about adding some basic survival equipment in case you are stranded somewhere. Some things I keep in my car:

Fire starter
Space blanket
Mirror
Flashlight
Camp Ax
Multi tool
Hikers whistle (you can hear that thing a long way off)

None of these things is large so you should be able to add them without much difficulty.

kirgi08
08-25-2012, 08:38
Winter months,tire chains and cat litter/ice melt.'08.

Warp
08-25-2012, 09:06
I would probably try to stuff in another gallon of water in there somehow too. But that looks like a pretty damn good kit. Do you have a separate first aid kit as well? If not I would definitely put some first aid items in there.

Keep it up! I'm looking to build something like this myself and you just gave me one hell of a starting point.

7+ gallons of water not enough?

There is a small/basic first aid kit in the GHB, yes.

I also have a my BOB/GHB, 6 (?) gallon Scepter water can, some flashlights, maps, leatherman multi tool, and a few other items in this car.

The BOB/GHB has a some more clothing, water filter, basic first aid kit, and other simple/basic GHB type stuff in it.

I would also think about adding some basic survival equipment in case you are stranded somewhere. Some things I keep in my car:

Fire starter
Space blanket
Mirror
Flashlight
Camp Ax
Multi tool
Hikers whistle (you can hear that thing a long way off)

None of these things is large so you should be able to add them without much difficulty.

I always carry 2 flashlights on my person, currently a Fenix P1D-CE and a Quark-X 123^2. I also have a Zebralight headlamp, a 4D MagLED, and a Thrunite TN11 in the vehicle. There is also a Leatherman multi-tool in the car. I believe the GHB has a mirror and a whistle, and some kind of fire starter. No camp ax.

Winter months,tire chains and cat litter/ice melt.'08.

If I lived somewhere other than Georgia I might consider tire chains. Since I only tend to make one trip per year into the snow belt during December-February I will settle for having 4WD and quality tires that can handle snow.

kirgi08
08-25-2012, 09:55
You'll never know where you will need ta be.'08.

Warp
08-25-2012, 10:09
You'll never know where you will need ta be.'08.

True. I'm going to look into tire chains, 'just in case'.

We do have family in Washington, Chicagoland, northern Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, after all. Usually we travel over Christmas, and we REALLY don't plan to travel between Thanksgiving and at least March this year...but you never know.

FireForged
08-25-2012, 10:35
I would add more towards tires, tire repair and actual "Damage" to my drive-train and not limiting myself to just maintenance issues.

If this is survival prep.. you may not keep your vehicle on the smooth roadway.. but jumping curbs and driving over all manner of debris.

I am also a light junkie and always feel the need to have more light and batteries.

dudel
08-25-2012, 10:53
Space bag (vs blanket)
Cell phone charger
Fire starter
Cash
Gun and ammo
I keep a set of large surgical scrubs that I can pull on over regular clothes if I have to work on something. They are disposable.
Spare batteries
Small trauma kit
Small weather radio

Not really for the car, but I keep a good collection of survival guides on an older, non color kindle.

M1A Shooter
08-25-2012, 11:19
throw a couple of arc welding sticks in there. with a pair of batteries and jumper cables, you have a usable arc welder. i had to do this once to get a drivshaft back together to make it out of a trail awhile ago.

it doesnt really have to be pretty, just functional. if you do this, it will be out of balance so drive slowly.

Warp
08-25-2012, 12:05
Does fix a flat really work?

DrMaxit
08-25-2012, 17:06
7+ gallons of water not enough?

There is a small/basic first aid kit in the GHB, yes.

My fault. That's plenty. I saw "1/2 gallon" and thought that's all you had. LoL.

DrMaxit
08-25-2012, 17:08

It does work, but if you do have to use it make sure you get to a tire shop fast as it will start to eat away at your wheel and its finish. Especially aluminum wheels. I would rather keep a tire plug kit and a small air pump.

PaulMason
08-25-2012, 18:13
One of these?
Amazon.com: Wagan 300 Amp Battery Jumper: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BU927140L.@@AMEPARAM@@51BU927140L

Dry gas?

CSnakes
08-25-2012, 18:25
Head lamp, bailing wire, hose clamps, exhaust coupling and 2 c clamps. I always keep a change of seasonal clothes, shoes, socks, flip flops. Baby wipes are nice to clean up after auto repairs. Sunscreen and bugspray, emergency whistle and a small roll of neon flagging ribbon. Hand tools, fuel siphon, emergency cas and change, air gauge, first aid, granola bars, meds in a dry cooler to minimize heat exposure.

You have things pretty well covered.

FireForged
08-25-2012, 20:32

as long as the damage is not on the side wall and if the puncture is limited to something similar to a nail... yes

Warp
08-25-2012, 21:18
Head lamp, bailing wire, hose clamps, exhaust coupling and 2 c clamps. I always keep a change of seasonal clothes, shoes, socks, flip flops. Baby wipes are nice to clean up after auto repairs. Sunscreen and bugspray, emergency whistle and a small roll of neon flagging ribbon. Hand tools, fuel siphon, emergency cas and change, air gauge, first aid, granola bars, meds in a dry cooler to minimize heat exposure.

You have things pretty well covered.

I already mentioned first aid twice and clothing pretty extensively. Socks/underwear are in the GHB. I don't want flip flops. Basic hand tools are in the tote but I'll double check that nothing important is missing. Granola bars will just get bad in the heat which is why there are ER bars. When intentionally traveling a cooler and snacks will come along anyway. My understanding is that fuel siphons aren't very usable these days, even if you had a situation where it would be justifiable to use one.

I will add light bulbs, especially for the head lamps. Bailing wire was suggested on another site as well so I'll pick some of that up. That's a good suggestion.

How would a cooler minimize heat exposure? When the car sits outside all day everything in there gets as hot as it's going to get.

Warp
08-25-2012, 21:21
as long as the damage is not on the side wall and if the puncture is limited to something similar to a nail... yes

I think I'll add some.

One of these?
Amazon.com: Wagan 300 Amp Battery Jumper: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-300-Amp-Battery-Jumper/dp/B00198G4XO)

Dry gas?

Might be a good compressor for side of the road use, but a 300 amp rated jump starter isn't up to size IMO. I'm going to look around for a pump that I can power with my jump starter or DC power outlet.

My fault. That's plenty. I saw "1/2 gallon" and thought that's all you had. LoL.

I'm going to edit my OP to mention the 6 gallon container on that line.

kirgi08
08-26-2012, 06:58
Get the type faf with the hose,not the type where you screw the can directly on the stem.'08.

wjv
08-26-2012, 10:40
So what if you have to abandon the car?

Do you have a backpack to put stuff into?
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/Sorcerer.jpg

Alternate transportation?
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet02/A5_.jpg

Money?

Gun and ammo?
I keep a .22 revolver (unloaded) + 200 rounds of ammo and a holster in the trunk. Check local laws for legality.

Forget the space blanket stuff and go with heatsheets
Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Heatsheets Emergency Blanket: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41etxQ7vDOL.@@AMEPARAM@@41etxQ7vDOL
Amazon.com: SOL Emergency Bivvy: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31T1ikiBJqL.@@AMEPARAM@@31T1ikiBJqL

Warp
08-26-2012, 11:34
Get the type faf with the hose,not the type where you screw the can directly on the stem.'08.

Solves my lack of an air compressor too
Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System 12-Volt : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JL12zMNrL.@@AMEPARAM@@51JL12zMNrL

So what if you have to abandon the car?

Do you have a backpack to put stuff into?

Well, like I have mentioned within this thread, and within the OP, I also have a GHB in the car.

Alternate transportation?

Money?

Gun and ammo?

No alternate transportation. I haven't finished preps for the primary and much preferred mode of transport yet, though.

Money goes in my wallet.

Gun and ammo will be on my belt. There should be 1-3 spare magazines in the vehicle/GHB as well.

For long trips a long gun comes along.

jrayharder
08-26-2012, 14:35
I carry a plug kit from tirerepairkit.com in each of my vehicles. They are a bit smaller plug, that you can double up. They last longer and do less damage to a tire than the regular type of plug.

NEOH212
08-26-2012, 23:45
I keep a flashlight, duct tape, headlight bulbs and a few screwdrivers.

For everything else, there's my AAA card!

(I hate to think what all that crap that everybody else is toting with them is doing to their gas mileage! :alex:)

:wavey:

NEOH212
08-26-2012, 23:48
Seriously though, being prepared isn't a bad thing and more power to you if you want to carry all that stuff with you.

If weather conditions looked like they were going to be that bad and I had no choice but to travel, I might consider taking all that with me. Or maybe if I was going where the nearest sign of civilizations was really far away.

Otherwise, I just can't see carrying all that stuff in my daily driver.

Warp
08-26-2012, 23:52
I keep a flashlight, duct tape, headlight bulbs and a few screwdrivers.

For everything else, there's my AAA card!

(I hate to think what all that crap that everybody else is toting with them is doing to their gas mileage! :alex:)

:wavey:

Most of us here in the S/P forum do what we can to rid ourselves of dependence on outside sources.

Adding 100-200 pounds of stuff to a vehicle with a curb weight of nearly 6,000 lbs isn't going to do much to gas mileage. Do you notice a drop in gas mileage when you have one extra passenger?

Seriously though, being prepared isn't a bad thing and more power to you if you want to carry all that stuff with you.

If weather conditions looked like they were going to be that bad and I had no choice but to travel, I might consider taking all that with me. Or maybe if I was going where the nearest sign of civilizations was really far away.

Otherwise, I just can't see carrying all that stuff in my daily driver.

I don't want to be dependent on outside sources for simple mishaps.

I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road waiting for AAA to bail me out because my serpentine belt broke, my battery died or I got a leak in a hose.

TangoFoxtrot
08-27-2012, 03:47
The list could go on and on.

PaulMason
08-27-2012, 08:00
The list could go on and on.

The list should only be what a person thinks they need to get home or to their BOL.

kirgi08
08-27-2012, 08:04
That's the idea.'08.

BR549
08-27-2012, 09:22
More tools - long and short screw drivers, a good set of fixed ratchet wrenches in SAE and metric, a better than OEM jack, and better than OEM lug nut wrench.

More than just one 30' tow strap and some couplings for quick connection. It's easy to get farther off the road than 30' - either for you or whoever you might be trying to help. Learn where to connect them on your vehicles and in general on various types of vehicles.

Maybe a Hi-Lift jack and learn how to use it???

Four full-size spares???

DoctaGlockta
08-27-2012, 13:32
Tire plug kit. Takes up very little room. I've used one several times on the road. One in every vehicle.

Warp
08-27-2012, 13:50
More tools - long and short screw drivers, a good set of fixed ratchet wrenches in SAE and metric, a better than OEM jack, and better than OEM lug nut wrench.

More than just one 30' tow strap and some couplings for quick connection. It's easy to get farther off the road than 30' - either for you or whoever you might be trying to help. Learn where to connect them on your vehicles and in general on various types of vehicles.

Maybe a Hi-Lift jack and learn how to use it???

Four full-size spares???

It isn't a tow strap. It is a recovery strap. There is a difference. ;)

A hi lift jack has come highly recommended.

Four full size spares would take up far too much room. The one full size spare + the tire slime kit and a plug kit will have to do. (I ordered that tire slime/air compressor kit I linked back around post 24)

John Rambo
08-27-2012, 14:09
You've got a lot of stuff that you will probably never need. But wheres your man kit?

Change of Clothes with bathing suit
Cologone, shampoo, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, gel (if you use it), comb, possibly a razor and some shaving cream if you need it, etc.
Protection

These are things that you will almost absolutely need at one time or another.

Warp
08-27-2012, 14:27
You've got a lot of stuff that you will probably never need. But wheres your man kit?

Change of Clothes with bathing suit
Cologone, shampoo, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, gel (if you use it), comb, possibly a razor and some shaving cream if you need it, etc.
Protection

These are things that you will almost absolutely need at one time or another.

Some of those are things I absolutely will not need at one time or another.

I don't use gel, I won't need protection, I don't wear cologne, my hair is too short to use a comb. If I really really need a razor/shaving cream I will either be traveling cross country in which case it gets packed along with everything else or I will buy some at the destination or at a gas station on the way. Or, if the above do not apply, I won't really need to shave.

BR549
08-27-2012, 14:53
Cool.

You're all set.

DJ Niner
08-28-2012, 01:57
Some of this may have been covered in other folks' posts, above; I just jotted down whatever popped into my head:

Paracord (min 100 ft)

Firestarters (several Bic lighters, firesteel, fresnel lens)

Two pieces of windowscreen mesh, cut to fit window openings, and a dozen strong magnets for anchoring screens to vehicle doors (so you can sleep in vehicle in hot or rainy weather without battling bugs)

Wide-brimmed hat for sun protection (boonie-style, cowboy-style, Indiana Jones, etc.)

Sunblock, SPF 45 or higher

Daypack/backpack, and/or medium-size duffle bag and carry strap, in case you have to abandon the vehicle and want to take some vehicle stuff with you (in addition to your BOB)

4 to 8 tent pegs/stakes

Small hatchet

Small or folding bow saw

2x pair of socks

If the drop-cloths you named are just plastic sheeting, then I'd add a few smaller woven poly tarps (reflective, and dark or camo)

Some cheap cookware (aluminum pots/pans), or small roll of aluminum foil

Small portable AM/FM/NOAA (solar?) radio and spare batteries

kirgi08
08-28-2012, 07:47
A police scanner.'08.

DoctaGlockta
08-28-2012, 08:55
A police scanner.'08.

Speaking of which are not all LE's going to digital and encoded? I've heard that old analog scanners will be useless soon.

kirgi08
08-28-2012, 10:15
Speaking of which are not all LE's going to digital and encoded? I've heard that old analog scanners will be useless soon.

Yes and no.Analog will be useless after a time.I reckon leo will go digital,they got ta per FCC regs.As ta analog,agencies will use them.Radios are cheaper, at that price.As ta digital secure I doubt it.Money a system running digital ain't secure,the logic behind this is perps won't pony the dollars ta buy the units.As ta digital scanners we go 5.'08.

BR549
08-28-2012, 12:02
Yes and no.Analog will be useless after a time.I reckon leo will go digital,they got ta per FCC regs.As ta analog,agencies will use them.Radios are cheaper, at that price.As ta digital secure I doubt it.Money a system running digital ain't secure,the logic behind this is perps won't pony the dollars ta buy the units.As ta digital scanners we go 5.'08.

:dunno:
Azta trine 2b *** cule az da ole Mista Hollis (respect), eet aint at awl dat cute. Yous makas eets awlmose tu tuph ta undastan wat eet b dat youse bees dee scrybeen. Doos youse nose house ta yoose da englez da wayze dat eet waz lerned ta yaz in dee skoolz r doos youse jes dooze dees own yaz on soze dat youse b kool wif da kontree dilekt.

Dooze youse reelee noze wats youse ees tawkin bout wif inny fang?

As ta dees, youse is cule.

:tongueout:

shyguy
08-28-2012, 13:16
If you live in snowy/icy climates, a bag of cat litter and a Glock entrenching tool. Also carry a mobile phone.

youngdocglock
08-28-2012, 13:21
Yes......BLANKETS :)
speak softly and carry a big stick; youll go far-Theodore Roosevelt.