IFAK for Hiking/Backpacking. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IFAK for Hiking/Backpacking.

DrMaxit
08-25-2012, 02:00
So I've been finding myself and friends hiking a lot more recently. We've been going in pretty deep and far at times and I started to wonder "what would I do if something happened?"

I was a SABC (Self Aid Buddy Care) instructor for the AF when I was active, and just became one now that I'm in the Guard. That said, I was thinking about modeling my first aid kit after the AF (and other branches are similar) IFAK kits.

So far this is what I have for the list. These items will have to be able to fit into a "Camel bak" type backpack with two pockets. Please feel free to add input.

2 Israeli Bandages
2 Triangle bandages
1 C.A.T (Combat Action Tourniquets)
2 SAM Splint
2 Pair Rubber Gloves
1 Lip Balm
1 Neosporen
1 Medical Tape
1 Self Adherent Wrap/tape
1 Quick Clot Guaze
1 Nasopharyngeal Airway
1 Leatherman

And various small items to include, but not limited to gauzes, band-aids, safety pins, non stick bandages, alcohol prep pads, ect.

I also thought about throwing in some water purification tablets, compass, fire starter.

Please provide suggestions and comments.

Thanks! :wavey:

Big Bird
08-25-2012, 06:03
Ditch the airway unless you have training on how to use it.

You have a lot of stuff for major trauma but almost nothing for more routine health issues.

I'd add a small plastic ziploc bag with the following drugs:

2 Zyrtec
10 Ibuprofen
10 Asperin
2 Immodium

I'd also add some small bandaid bandages in various shapes.

Add some burn gel packets

Tweezers and a single edge razor

You need some surgical sponges

You should have some small ace bandages

mac66
08-25-2012, 07:46
My experience as a former scout master, hunter, outdoorsman, bicyclist, ATVer, tells me that lacerations, contusions, sprains, separations and fractures are most common. Field dressings/lots and lots of gauze pads, gauze wrap/bandages is the most important thing. A triangle bandage to make a sling, elastic bandage to immobilize an extremity and provide pressure.

Deputydave
08-25-2012, 07:47
I also thought about throwing in some water purification tablets, compass, fire starter.

Okay, let's take a look.

Instead of the water purification tabs, just get a small bottle of tincture iodine. Serves the same purpose of disinfecting water and also cleans small wounds i.e. it is dual purpose. Additionally, something like a SAYWER bottle that filters up to a million gallons yet is the same size as most water bottles would fit into hiking/camping plans perfect.

Secondly...fire! You need to be redundant about ways to make fire because of its multiple uses i.e. protection, warmth, cooking etc. Obviously a lighter is a good option. You can get a package of 9 Bic-style lighters at Walmart for a couple of dollars. They are cheap a fairly reliable. Secondly, get a magnesium bar with the striker on one side. Harbor Freight has these for less than $3 and often puts them on sale for less than $2. One bar could literally start thousands of campfires. Waterproof/windproof matches are always a plus. Firesteel.com has a plethora of different types of firesteels, some with a button compass and with a place to carry tinder.

The point is being redundant in a few key areas, fire is one of them.

As far as tinder, you've already got lip balm which is petroleum based. Smear it on a cotton ball and/or bandage and it will burn for several minutes while you light larger wood pieces. And of course, if you have a magnesium bar the shavings are tinder.

As mentioned above, items for smaller 'emergencies' and inconvienances.

The Leatherman multi-tool is a good idea. I'd have a good solid folding or fixed blade knife as well. I doesn't need to be a Rambo special! But something that would assist you in building a make-shift shelter if you had to. Heck, the good ole Mora knife that Cody uses is light, sharp, easily sharpened and used all over the world for exactly that.

I signal mirror, the kind with a sighting/focus hole in the center. I got mine off Amazon for about $5. And a whistle is a good idea to attract attention.

And do NOT forget about one or two flashlights! Particularly a good LED version. I was turned on the the CREE LED lights off of Ebay here on the board. Cheap and make a great back up and bright!!! I also like the Maglite XL50 and again, bargains for brand new ones on Ebay are there. These give you great run times, great 'throw', some have great flood and many of them a multi-mode with high/low/strobe/SOS.

Even if you only hike during the day....something happening might put you in the woods at night. Be prepared.

Hope some/all of this is useful. :wavey:

PaulMason
08-25-2012, 07:51
I'd suggest taking a look at what companies include in their packs and then tailor it for what you want.

http://www.rescue-essentials.com/category_s/135.htm?searching=Y&sort=2&cat=135&show=40&page=1

bigcountry31987
08-25-2012, 08:47
Benadryl or an epipen should be included

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

John Rambo
08-25-2012, 10:07
On the subject of Iodine, leading into a much broader consideration to have. Remember, people can be allergic to things in your medkit, including Iodine. Its pretty rare, but it can happen. While topical allergies are usually just irritating, if something gets in a wound that the person is allergic to, it can kill or seriously injure them before help arrives.

The issue of wound cleaning took me a couple of days to research for my marine first-aid kit. As of right now, I don't have any liquid to fill that role at all due to possible allergy complications. Be interested to hear what anyone has to say on the subject.

FireForged
08-25-2012, 10:53
So I've been finding myself and friends hiking a lot more recently. We've been going in pretty deep and far at times and I started to wonder "what would I do if something happened?"

I was a SABC (Self Aid Buddy Care) instructor for the AF when I was active, and just became one now that I'm in the Guard. That said, I was thinking about modeling my first aid kit after the AF (and other branches are similar) IFAK kits.

So far this is what I have for the list. These items will have to be able to fit into a "Camel bak" type backpack with two pockets. Please feel free to add input.

2 Israeli Bandages
2 Triangle bandages
2 SAM Splint
2 Pair Rubber Gloves
1 Lip Balm
1 Neosporen
1 Medical Tape
1 Quick Clot Guaze
1 Nasopharyngeal Airway
1 Leatherman

And various small items to include, but not limited to gauzes, band-aids, safety pins, non stick bandages, alcohol prep pads, ect.

looks good but I am not a proponant of quickclot.

food for thought:

large 3m wound closure stips
wound irrigation
bandaids for fingers, knuckles and moving joints.

Aceman
08-25-2012, 15:22
Serious hiking:

MOLESKIN
Mosquito/tick spray
Bandaids / gauze/tape
Disinfectant

Lot's of the above.

Serious anti-histamine
Dental gear
butterfly bandage for knuckles

That mil kit is for gunshot / grenade wounds. I'd bring that too...but the mundane stuff is a PITA if not dealt with.

quinnt
08-25-2012, 16:11
On the subject of Iodine, leading into a much broader consideration to have. Remember, people can be allergic to things in your medkit, including Iodine. Its pretty rare, but it can happen. While topical allergies are usually just irritating, if something gets in a wound that the person is allergic to, it can kill or seriously injure them before help arrives.

The issue of wound cleaning took me a couple of days to research for my marine first-aid kit. As of right now, I don't have any liquid to fill that role at all due to possible allergy complications. Be interested to hear what anyone has to say on the subject.

For cleansing a wound you could use normal saline/sterile water as in copious amounts it will flush a good amount of stuff out. You could also carry isopropyl alcohol and ask if theres an allergy before using it. I've been an EMT for a while and only had 1 person tell me they were allergic to alcohol, and I'm pretty sure it was the drinking kind not the sanitizing kind but they weren't oriented enough to tell me.

Another thought though, you're simply stabilizing a wound long enough to get the person more serious help, let them dealing with sterilizing the wound. An uncontrolled hemorrhage can immediately lead to shock and death, a dirty wound not as quickly.

quinnt
08-25-2012, 16:17
And to the original poster, off the top of my head, theres 9 different sized nasal airways for a reason, I'd ditch just that one. I also didn't notice sterile lube as NPA's can be quite sticky at times. If you insist on carrying the NPA, don't use if theres a serious head injury.

In my hiking IFAK I carry a leatherman, gauze, medical tape, benadryl, tylenol and this

Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Packwith QuikClot: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51egST-MtuL.@@AMEPARAM@@51egST-MtuL

DrMaxit
08-25-2012, 17:29
Ditch the airway unless you have training on how to use it.

You have a lot of stuff for major trauma but almost nothing for more routine health issues.

I'd add a small plastic ziploc bag with the following drugs:

2 Zyrtec
10 Ibuprofen
10 Asperin
2 Immodium

I'd also add some small bandaid bandages in various shapes.

Add some burn gel packets

Tweezers and a single edge razor

You need some surgical sponges

You should have some small ace bandages

I do have training on how to use them. I am an instructor for the Air Force and I train people on how to use them. Good point though if anyone else reads this that hasn't had the training, you can do some serious damage if you're not trained.

Good idea on the OTC medications and the other small items.

Okay, let's take a look.

Instead of the water purification tabs, just get a small bottle of tincture iodine......

Secondly...fire! You need to be redundant about ways to make fire because of its multiple uses......

I signal mirror, the kind with a sighting/focus hole in the center. I got mine off Amazon for about $5. And a whistle is a good idea to attract attention.

And do NOT forget about one or two flashlights! Particularly a good LED version. I was turned on the the CREE LED lights off of Ebay here on the board........

Even if you only hike during the day....something happening might put you in the woods at night. Be prepared.

Hope some/all of this is useful. :wavey:

Great posting. I had forgotten about a light. I do carry a headlamp with me hiking already. I guess I should have listed everything that's in the bag already, not just what I'm adding. LoL. But yes I'll toss a lighter in there as well and another small cheap light. I'll probably stick with the purification tablets, as I don't like iodine. Good suggestion though.

I'd suggest taking a look at what companies include in their packs and then tailor it for what you want.

http://www.rescue-essentials.com/category_s/135.htm?searching=Y&sort=2&cat=135&show=40&page=1

Great site, thanks!

Benadryl or an epipen should be included

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Great idea. There are plenty of people that come out to the islands that don't realize they are allergic to some of the fruits and plants on these hikes.

looks good but I am not a proponant of quickclot.

food for thought:

large 3m wound closure stips
wound irrigation
bandaids for fingers, knuckles and moving joints.

I'm going to have to stick by the quickclot guaze. Also going to add those small items as well. My Camel Bak holds about 3.2L of water if I recall, that would be use to quickly wash nay wounds. Any serious sanitation would be done at home/hospital. Thanks!

Serious hiking:

MOLESKIN
Mosquito/tick spray
Bandaids / gauze/tape
Disinfectant

Lot's of the above.

Serious anti-histamine
Dental gear
butterfly bandage for knuckles

That mil kit is for gunshot / grenade wounds. I'd bring that too...but the mundane stuff is a PITA if not dealt with.

Moleskin. A lot out here hike in either Vibrams or barefooted so blisters aren't usually an issue, but can't hurt to toss in there. Good call on the butterfly bandages.

And to the original poster, off the top of my head, theres 9 different sized nasal airways for a reason, I'd ditch just that one. I also didn't notice sterile lube as NPA's can be quite sticky at times. If you insist on carrying the NPA, don't use if theres a serious head injury.

In my hiking IFAK I carry a leatherman, gauze, medical tape, benadryl, tylenol and this

Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Packwith QuikClot: Health & Personal Care (http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Packwith-QuikClot/dp/B003BS2PW4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345932944&sr=8-3&keywords=quik+clot)

Great posting as well. I was going to grab one of the NPAs that are issued in the AF IFAK, cut to fit also comes with KY type jelly. That's a great little trama pack in that link, I might grab that instead of quick clot gauze as it's about half the price and comes with other goodies.

DrMaxit
08-25-2012, 18:27

Adding on to what quinnt said, I wouldn't worry about serious sterilization in the field. Let the hospital or the house deal with that when they get back in. I would just rinse out fairly well with some water to get most of the debris out and roll on.

DrMaxit
08-25-2012, 18:38
As for all the trama stuff, these are the types of hikes I'm talking about.

http://www.unrealhawaii.com/2011/08/island-trails-bolohead-ridge/

Short day hikes, but pretty intense. Enjoy. :)

TangoFoxtrot
08-26-2012, 03:59

2 Israeli Bandages
2 Triangle bandages
2 SAM Splint
2 Pair Rubber Gloves
1 Lip Balm
1 Neosporen
1 Medical Tape
1 Quick Clot Guaze
1 Nasopharyngeal Airway
1 Leatherman

First aid kits are priority in hiking packs. BUT! I think having fire starting tools (metal match), shelter tarp of some sort, a container to store water, A good strong blade, and flashlight are essential when miles from home if your forced to stay out overnight due to an injury, weather or whatever. Just my 2 cents.

racerford
08-26-2012, 07:21
Lots of good suggestions so far. I won't repeat them.

Ditch "rubber" gloves and go with nitrile. I would add a couple more pairs as they have lots of uses.

I see nothing for burns. I would add BurnJel in a bottle and some BurnJel sheets. They can also be used to treat sunburn/exposure as well. Many people fail to respect fire in the field and end up with burns. A 2nd degree or worse burn bigger than your palm can be a life threatening danger.

redbrd
08-26-2012, 07:56
Quikclot and tournaquets should not be used unless higher care is going to be available. Military uses them under the assumption that a quick exfil will make higher level care available in a short period. Quikclot chemically burns the area and often does additional damage, tournaquets likewise stops bleeding but over time will result in more extensive damage. Both should be used only in extreme situations when a pressure dressing won't cut it.
I agree the most useful things to stock will be small bandages, superglue, iodine, tylenol, ibuprophen, a broad spectrum antibiotic (doxy...), sunscreen, and of course some duct tape. That along with what you have will cover most injuries that you are likely to encounter and the average person can treat.
Bug repellant and/or mosquito net is a good thing depending on the area. Tick and other insect bourne diseases could be come a real problem.

John Rambo
08-26-2012, 15:00
I don't think the new generation of QuickClot burns the area anymore, but I didn't research it all that well. To tell the truth I'm much more a fan of Celox after what I've read. I opted for more gauze instead of either of them, but may add Celox in an applicator at some point if I feel comfortable enough with it. The fact that you can pump Celox into the body to stop a deep, penetrating wound from bleeding and it does nothing except form an artificial clot would make it very useful if someone gets a spear through their ass at sea in my situation.

quinnt
08-26-2012, 19:21
Most modern chemical hemostatics stop the bleeding as they enhance the clot, some also cause vasoconstriction making the bleeding stop.

John Rambo
08-26-2012, 19:51
Most modern chemical hemostatics stop the bleeding as they enhance the clot, some also cause vasoconstriction making the bleeding stop.

As I understand it, Celox is granules that swell up and get all gunky when they get around the blood. Kinda like pasta. Except not with as tasty of a red sauce. :supergrin:

auto-5
08-26-2012, 21:25
Did anyone else read this and think of the Good time in Vegas line from Dr. Stranglove?

syntaxerrorsix
08-27-2012, 07:19
I fit into the the light/ultralight hiker category. I think you've got too much stuff.

My kit includes:

Ben's 100 (DEET)
Moleskin
Steri-strips.
Compressed gauze.
Tape
OTC - Ibuprofen, Immodium, Benedryl
Cotton balls/Neosporin
ACE bandage

I get pretty good dual use. The cotton balls covered in Neosporin makes good tinder, the tape, steri-strips and Moleskin can be used for repairs, ACE bandage is used to compress the whole kit.

Whole kit is about the size of a pair of socks rolled up and weighs in at about 6 ounces.

This has served me well on 1-2 weeks trips throughout the world civilian and military.

Fire and water and directional equipment are not part of your first aid kit and if you are doing any sort of hiking you already have this as part of your kit. I don't like the taste of chemically treated so I filter with a Katadyn Mini and I carry a Bic mini and a firesteel for fire. Makes sure you know how to use a compass and map before you start depending on it.

BR549
08-27-2012, 09:07
Lots of great info already here.

Protect your hands, feet, and eyes.

Eyes - impact resistant polarized sunglasses with good coverage

Hands - protect them from abrasion, blisters, and dryness/cracking with the right gloves, use the right balm/lotion while sleeping

Feet - wear the right socks and shoes, change when wet, care for hotspots before the blister materializes, air dry your feet whenever you can, use appropriate balm/lotion, put on fresh/dry socks for sleeptime if you sleep in socks ---- same goes for underwear and other base layers.

Many doctors recommend against Neosporin and copies because it sometimes turns the skin around the laceration/sore to become red, which gives it the appearance of infection. That doesn't mean Neosporin is bad, but doctors recommend others due to this.

DrMaxit
08-28-2012, 03:29
I fit into the the light/ultralight hiker category. I think you've got too much stuff.

My kit includes:

Ben's 100 (DEET)
Moleskin
Steri-strips.
Compressed gauze.
Tape
OTC - Ibuprofen, Immodium, Benedryl
Cotton balls/Neosporin
ACE bandage

I get pretty good dual use. The cotton balls covered in Neosporin makes good tinder, the tape, steri-strips and Moleskin can be used for repairs, ACE bandage is used to compress the whole kit.

Whole kit is about the size of a pair of socks rolled up and weighs in at about 6 ounces.

This has served me well on 1-2 weeks trips throughout the world civilian and military.

Fire and water and directional equipment are not part of your first aid kit and if you are doing any sort of hiking you already have this as part of your kit. I don't like the taste of chemically treated so I filter with a Katadyn Mini and I carry a Bic mini and a firesteel for fire. Makes sure you know how to use a compass and map before you start depending on it.

I agree with most of your post. I don't like chemically treated water either, but it would only be used in an emergency as I generally carry enough water to get made fun of about.

Your kit is pretty good. I have been programed basically that I need a splint and tourniquet in my kit in order to be complete so I'll carry these cheap and lightweight items as well. The kit below is the IFAK that I'm trying to emulate with some small changes, it is under 2lbs.

http://store.armyproperty.com/product_images/a/778/USAF_IFAK__39359_zoom.jpg

Overall thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys. I'm not a new hiker, backpacker, or camper in the least, this thread was ment to focus on the first aid kit portion only as it is the part of the pack out I am most lacking on. It is great that some of you guys have added in more useful information in case anyone else stumbles across this thread though. Keep it rolling!

DrMaxit
08-28-2012, 03:42
Ditch "rubber" gloves and go with nitrile. I would add a couple more pairs as they have lots of uses.

I see nothing for burns. I would add BurnJel in a bottle and some BurnJel sheets. They can also be used to treat sunburn/exposure as well. ......

When I said "rubber" I meant the Nitrile gloves, good catch. And for burns, most of my hikes and the purpose of this "IFAK" were for day hikes where one wouldn't make a fire, but I'll include some BurnJel to make it a more versatile kit.

Quikclot and tournaquets should not be used unless higher care is going to be available. ....

The Quickclot Gauze and other forms of the newer quickclot do not have these issues. Also I am familiar with the correct usages of both the Quickclot and the tourniquets. They should both still be in a kit in order ensure that severe bleeding is controlled first.

I don't think the new generation of QuickClot burns the area anymore...

Correct

As I understand it, Celox is granules that swell up and get all gunky when they get around the blood. Kinda like pasta. Except not with as tasty of a red sauce. :supergrin:

Pretty much how I understand it too.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep up the good suggestions.

When I'm done with this little project I'll post pics and a final list with weight for future reference if anyone is interested. This whole thing will fit into a lightweight 3L two pouch camel back and should be fun to put together.

I'm having fun with this. It's a great break in between classwork.

Thanks guys!

quake
08-28-2012, 06:51
Serious hiking:

MOLESKIN
Mosquito/tick spray
Bandaids / gauze/tape
Disinfectant

Lot's of the above.

Serious anti-histamine
Dental gear
butterfly bandage for knuckles...
+1 all the above, plus more mundane things like ibuprophen & acetaminophen as already mentioned. I like to have both, so I just carry 15-20 of each in a camping salt & pepper dispenser. The end caps had to be re-done slightly, since they weren't intended to pass pill-size things, but it works well.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/preps/Advil-Tylenol.jpg

Also, just for size/weight/convenience reasons, I like medicated chapstick for treating small cuts after water-rinsing, and either genuine Krazy-Glue brand or the little single-use tubes of SuperGlue brand for stopping small-scale bleeding. Some decry it as unsafe, and I'm not a doctor; but I've been using it for over 20 years now. Works fine and no side-effects that I can tell.

Some guys say they also use chapstick as an emergency firestarter, but I've never been able to get it to work... :dunno:

syntaxerrorsix
08-28-2012, 09:03
I agree with most of your post. I don't like chemically treated water either, but it would only be used in an emergency as I generally carry enough water to get made fun of about.

Your kit is pretty good. I have been programed basically that I need a splint and tourniquet in my kit in order to be complete so I'll carry these cheap and lightweight items as well. The kit below is the IFAK that I'm trying to emulate with some small changes, it is under 2lbs.

http://store.armyproperty.com/product_images/a/778/USAF_IFAK__39359_zoom.jpg

Overall thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys. I'm not a new hiker, backpacker, or camper in the least, this thread was ment to focus on the first aid kit portion only as it is the part of the pack out I am most lacking on. It is great that some of you guys have added in more useful information in case anyone else stumbles across this thread though. Keep it rolling!

Just a thought, my whole pack weighs 12 pounds before food and water for a two week trip. 2 pounds is a lot :supergrin:

Stay safe.

DrMaxit
08-28-2012, 17:09
+...... I like medicated chapstick for treating small cuts after water-rinsing, and either genuine Krazy-Glue brand or the little single-use tubes of SuperGlue brand for stopping small-scale bleeding. Some decry it as unsafe, and I'm not a doctor; ......

A girl that I hike with is in medicine and she put krazy glue on a cut of mine not too long ago. Food for thought maybe. Good idea on the salt and pepper shaker.

Just a thought, my whole pack weighs 12 pounds before food and water for a two week trip. 2 pounds is a lot :supergrin:

Stay safe.

When you say ultralight you mean it! I might lighten this kit up after time or on less dangerous hikes but for only a 6-8hr hike two extra pounds isn't that much.

syntaxerrorsix
08-28-2012, 17:33
A girl that I hike with is in medicine and she put krazy glue on a cut of mine not too long ago. Food for thought maybe. Good idea on the salt and pepper shaker.

When you say ultralight you mean it! I might lighten this kit up after time or on less dangerous hikes but for only a 6-8hr hike two extra pounds isn't that much.

My last trip was short, ~36 miles round trip and it was vacation so we too our time. Pardon the gratuitous photos :supergrin:

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/syntaxerrorsix/elk.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/syntaxerrorsix/hen-1.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/syntaxerrorsix/waterfall.jpg

DrMaxit
08-30-2012, 15:30
Very Nice! Takes some skill to be able to hike out like that ultralight.

syntaxerrorsix
08-30-2012, 15:47
No real skill I would conclude. Just a little ingenuity to get the most uses out of the gear you are going to carry so you don't end up carrying redundant items. I cheat little, I like at least two ways to start fire and I'm a knife guy so...

New age U/L materials help quite a bit as well. I don't like to suffer on the trail :supergrin: