Close Fitting OWB vs IWB Carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Close Fitting OWB vs IWB Carry?

Restless28
08-25-2012, 06:31
I love my Walther PPS. I have carried it in a Desantis IWB leather holster, but I'm still not comfortable sitting. With fall coming, I'm thinking that a close fitting OWB holster may be an option.

Got any suggestions?

Do you prefer OWB to IWB?

ak103k
08-25-2012, 06:38
I prefer the IWB, as its the most concealable, and for me, the most comfortable.

OWB is OK, I just diont find it as stable, and you have to watch how you move to keep it out of sight.

FFR Spyder GT
08-25-2012, 06:40
OWB

I cannot imagine why anyone would IWB carry.

I've been carrying for over 30 years and have tried every way possible and still end up OWB.

Go to a LGS that has a decent selection of holsters and try them on until you find the one that you like.

For myself it was an easy choice....... Glock pistol = Glock holster.

I even use the larger holster for my Taurus PT845.

Bren
08-25-2012, 06:42
I prefer OWB holsters. I usually use 518 series paddle holsters for Glock, Walther PPK, etc. or a Blade Tech kydex.

OWB is much much more comfortable, so I only use IWB if I really need it to conceal.

In summer I prefer a Safariland 518 with a Hawaiian shirt over it. The big bright pattern of the shirt also helps concealment, by fooling the eye so the outline of the gun isn't noticeable. It's much easier to conceal udner a patterned shirt than a solid color and it also makes you not look like a ninja who is probably carrying a gun, like safari and hunring style shirts do.

Restless28
08-25-2012, 06:43
Yeah, those cheap Glock holsters keep it close. That's the type of close that I want.

ETA: Fnfalman posted up a pic of his OWB carry method recently. I thought that looked comfortable.

SigFTW
08-25-2012, 08:14
I carry IWB with full size and compact, never had had a problem and very comfortable. You just need paints that are not too tight.

ratf51
08-25-2012, 09:48
I prefer OWB and am a fan of Raven Concealment holsters with the pancake wings.

glock2740
08-25-2012, 10:08
[QUOTE=FFR Spyder GT;19345636]OWB

I cannot imagine why anyone would IWB carry.

QUOTE]
You just haven't found the right holster yet. I have several IWB holsters and CC several types of guns (several kinds of Glocks, M&P's, 1911's from Officer to Govt. and revolvers) with ease and comfort. I can't imagine why anyone would carry OWB with as many IWB options that are out there. OWB will NEVER conceal as well as IWB. Period. And "concealed carry" is the name of the game.

Restless28
08-25-2012, 12:20
I can hardly believe that a full size Glock could be hidden without a coat. I'm 5'5" 160, and I couldn't imagine hiding one IWB.

ak103k
08-25-2012, 12:51
Im 5'6", 170, and carry carry a 17 that way every day (I usually carry a back up and a reload too), and yes, its easy to even conceal it with just a light shirt over it. Ive been carrying full sized handguns this way daily, since the early 70's. Back then, you didnt have many choices, today, if you cant find a decent holster that works for you, you might as well give up.

IWB takes a little getting used to, but once you do, I seriously doubt you'll carry any other way. You do need to find a holster that works for you, and you do need to find the "sweet spot", and let your body adjust to it being there, which really doesnt take long. For me, the sweet spot is right at 4:30, where the gun snugs into that nook behind your hip, where you arm naturally hangs, and clothing naturally hangs over it.

I dont wear pants a size up, simply because it isnt necessary, and the larger sizes dont look like they fit (they just dont make the waist bigger). Your normal size pants may feel slightly snug when you first insert the holster, or put your pants on with the gun in them, but they quickly "give", and you dont notice that the holster is there at all. The advantage to them not being loose is, they help hold the gun in place even more, and there is very little movement.

The biggest advantage to IWB is, most of the gun and holster, are concealed inside your pants. Nothing shows below your belt, so even with a short jacket on, you can usually reach over your head, or squat down without giving anything up. Even without a cover garment, most people dont notice the gun, and its easy to keep it out of sight with just body orientation.

WoodenPlank
08-25-2012, 12:52
I can hardly believe that a full size Glock could be hidden without a coat. I'm 5'5" 160, and I couldn't imagine hiding one IWB.

I've seen it done with a t-shirt one size too big with TWO Glock 22s both IWB, or a pair of Beretta 92s IWB.

It can be done, if you have the right build and right clothes. The friend I saw make the twin 22s disappear like Copperfield is about six feet even and 160 pounds.

chr_edw
08-25-2012, 18:59
I carry IWB but would consider OWB for in the fall when i'm not wearing mostly t-shirts. IWB doesn't bother me when out and about but OWB would defenitly be more comfortable around the house ( also work from home ).

your comfort and your ability to conceal will greatly depend on your holster and shirt choice. Not sure about for your gun but I would take a look at the raven concealment type holsters that will have it ride somewhat high and held in tight.

tedwhite
08-28-2012, 23:17
My problem - as an ex-cop - carrying IWB was that I had a hell of a time getting the weapon back into the holster once I drew it, so I switched to OWB and the re-holstering problem went away. Some people have no trouble with IWB, but I did. I'm 5'9" and 155, so maybe heavier, thicker torsos won't have the problem I had.

PlasticGuy
08-29-2012, 01:07
I carry IWB with full size and compact, never had had a problem and very comfortable. You just need paints that are not too tight.
Exactly.

ak103k
08-29-2012, 02:46
I had a hell of a time getting the weapon back into the holster once I drew it,
That sounds like a holster issue. Most, if not all of the newer, better make holsters have a reinforced mouth, so the holster doesnt collapse when the gun is drawn. Reholstering normally isnt an issue with them.

PlasticGuy
08-29-2012, 03:55
My problem - as an ex-cop - carrying IWB was that I had a hell of a time getting the weapon back into the holster once I drew it, so I switched to OWB and the re-holstering problem went away. Some people have no trouble with IWB, but I did. I'm 5'9" and 155, so maybe heavier, thicker torsos won't have the problem I had.
Definitely a holster issue. A good iwb holster will retain it's shape, and makes reholstering just as easy as with an owb holster.

Restless28
08-29-2012, 04:45
I carry IWB but would consider OWB for in the fall when i'm not wearing mostly t-shirts. IWB doesn't bother me when out and about but OWB would defenitly be more comfortable around the house ( also work from home ).

your comfort and your ability to conceal will greatly depend on your holster and shirt choice. Not sure about for your gun but I would take a look at the raven concealment type holsters that will have it ride somewhat high and held in tight.

It's a Walther PPS. I will look into the Raven holsters, but I will carry OWB in cooler weather. Got any suggestions?

JBUS
08-29-2012, 05:01
It's a Walther PPS. I will look into the Raven holsters, but I will carry OWB in cooler weather. Got any suggestions?

Try Off The Grid Concepts.

ZO6Vettever
08-29-2012, 05:04
Hardly ever carry IWB anymore. When I do I use a Remora. OWB is so much more comfy. "T" shirt a size up and all is well. I use a homemade hybrid that I molded to pull it tight to my body and keep the grip, heavy as a double stack 45 is from flopping away from my body. Works great.

mrt949
08-29-2012, 19:08
Galco triton iwb at .5 ' 6'' 320 LB. EVERYTHING HIDES .LOL.

fnfalman
08-29-2012, 21:07
OWB for me. Maybe if I were skinnier and taller, IWB would make sense, but right now it's too damn uncomfortable for me - and yes, I have the right holster for IWB. It doesn't get any better than Milt Sparks Executive Carry.

Lampshade
08-29-2012, 21:38
Check out the CrossBreed Snap Slide.

Goldendog Redux
08-29-2012, 21:52
It doesn't get any better than Milt Sparks Executive Carry.

Never tried one but the VMII is hard to beat as well.

MF

2740dmx
08-30-2012, 17:10
IWB for me.

Love the forward cant angle and low ride of TT Gunleather IWB holsters.

If you have a "gun" belt and good leather, and find that spot just behind the hip, yet not too far back (bad for sitting down).....for me, that works out.

OWB is alright for me, more comfortable, but WAY more difficult to truly keep the gun concealed.

lots of options.....

Narkcop
08-30-2012, 17:22
IWB is uncomfortable and I'm in shape and wear my pants about an inch large and have tried every quality holster out there. The only compromise I make is a sticky holster IWB with an LCP or KT .380 when in workout shorts knocking around. I also find IWB in hot weather requires a LOT more gun care or rust will pop up.

ak103k
08-30-2012, 17:51
Leather is definitely not your friend in warm and sticky climates, especially if you carry daily, are active, and use a gun that doesnt have a rust resistant finish. Kydex is a much better choice.

What works great for pants or shorts that dont have a belt, or even if they do, especially for smaller guns, is a Smart Carry. You can wear shorts with no shirt, and no one will be the wiser. I have a couple, and they are the most versatile holsters I have.

barth
08-30-2012, 18:02
I'm in steamy Tampa Fl and am 5'9" 158 lbs.
After trying lots of holsters and carry options;
I like OWB, inside the belt, cross draw.
Standing, sitting, driving on a hot summer day, no problemo.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo41/d6/9d/4c1b0bae2236__1318703324000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

elde
08-30-2012, 18:33

Cost effective, high quality, fit close to the body:

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Cuda-.cfm?item_id=155&parent=669