First loads problem with primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First loads problem with primers

DRJ1911
08-25-2012, 15:46
I ran a few different loads to test today on my new Dillon 650 for my 9mm's and ran into a few problems. I got most worked out but I am still having problems with high primers. I will run a few and all will be well and then get a primer or two not fully seated. This is my first time loading on a progressive and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyone have any advise ? I am using clean once fired brass and win primers and had about 15rd out of 40 that were not seated correctly so I am doing something wrong. Thanks for any help.

Doyle

norton
08-25-2012, 16:21
I ran a few different loads to test today on my new Dillon 650 for my 9mm's and ran into a few problems. I got most worked out but I am still having problems with high primers. I will run a few and all will be well and then get a primer or two not fully seated. This is my first time loading on a progressive and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyone have any advise ? I am using clean once fired brass and win primers and had about 15rd out of 40 that were not seated correctly so I am doing something wrong. Thanks for any help.

Doyle

Make sure you are pushing firmly on the handle when you seat the primer on the upstroke. All of your primers are small ones aren't they? Also could it be your 9mm cases have military crimps?

DRJ1911
08-25-2012, 16:28
Thanks Norton, Yes I am using sm primers and no crimped cases. I think you are right about my seating pressure and will be watching this closely on my next batch. Thanks again

Doyle

shotgunred
08-25-2012, 17:00
Once you have used it a while you will feel the primers seat. But you have to remember that all primer pockets are not created equal. They also haven't worn the same. My first guess would be you are not pressing hard enough on the upstroke to fully seat the primers in tight pockets. Make sure that you take a full stroke each time.

fredj338
08-25-2012, 17:22
Don't baby the machine. Many first time semiauto press (I am starting to not like calling it a progressive) users are squeemish about priming. Push on the handle, you are NOT going to set them off.

DRJ1911
08-25-2012, 17:37
Thanks everyone, I now think that I am just not being consistent enough on the up stroke. I will work on this. Thanks again

P.S. I loaded 124gr fmj pd bullets with 3.6 and 3.8 gr of v320

Doyle

WeeWilly
08-25-2012, 18:47
Thanks everyone, I now think that I am just not being consistent enough on the up stroke. I will work on this. Thanks again

P.S. I loaded 124gr fmj pd bullets with 3.6 and 3.8 gr of v320

Doyle

Wow a Dillon 650 and vv-N320, a man who appreciates the finer things in life.

Sweet.

TX Archer
08-26-2012, 11:22
You might also check the shellplate bolt. You want it tight enough that the shellplate moves freely but no more and no less. In my experience, there's a very fine line. If it's even slightly too loose, I believe it will have enough slop that your primer doesn't seat as deep as it could. The difference in too high and just right is only a matter of a couple of thousandths. I've been paying more attention to this and it has helped.

ROGER4314
09-03-2012, 12:32
I use the RCBS case prep motorized tool and slightly chamfer the case mouth inside & outside and chamfer the primer pocket, lightly, too. That eliminates virtually all issues with seating primers.

Flash

DRJ1911
09-03-2012, 15:57
Thanks everyone for the advise. I found that I was not useing enough pressure at the top of the stroke all is well now. I loaded a few more test rounds today and everthing went well. I have loaded 3.6,3.8,4.0 and 4.2grs of v320 with 124gr fmj PD bullet's at 1.140 oal to test does this sound about right? Thanks again

Doyle

vtducrider
09-04-2012, 08:48
There is a pin that you'd use to guide casings into the first stage. I don't recall what the official part name is. Make sure it's making good contact with the casing to keep it in place for priming.

OAL sounds fine. I use 1.145", and 0.475" crimping. Others can probably chime in about the powder charge.

Boxerglocker
09-04-2012, 09:23
Thanks everyone for the advise. I found that I was not useing enough pressure at the top of the stroke all is well now. I loaded a few more test rounds today and everthing went well. I have loaded 3.6,3.8,4.0 and 4.2grs of v320 with 124gr fmj PD bullet's at 1.140 oal to test does this sound about right? Thanks again

Doyle

What gun? Barrel length? What's your data source and what does it say your max should be?
Why did you start with V320? Personally, I have tried V320 and a couple others and they are IMO not worth the extra cost. I would use W321 to start.

DRJ1911
09-04-2012, 10:07
Thanks Boxerglock, I am loading for a 17 & 17L. My load data came from Lapua website. I have other powders but just wanted to try v320 first. My oal was decided upon by checking rounds in my barrel and mags " I think you could chamber a hotdog in my barrels " I am headed to the range today and will report my findings.
Thanks again

Doyle

SARDG
09-04-2012, 12:42
...Why did you start with V320? Personally, I have tried V320 and a couple others and they are IMO not worth the extra cost. I would use W321 to start.
I love 320 and it's all I use for 9mil. It's virtually smokeless, flashless, doesn't 'stink', meters well, is light gray in color so easily seen in the case when reloading. I simply cannot find one single flaw with 320 - except it's price and availability. Since every round I build is match ammo, cost is not a concern. I make certain I stay 4 lbs ahead on stock,

I usually load 147s, but for my race gun, the load has to run the compensator. By memory:
124 gr MG JHP, over
4.0 gr 320
1.135 OAL, for
1052 FPS from a G34 highly modified racer.

Less than that will run in all my stock guns - 3.8gr for sure.

DRJ1911
09-04-2012, 13:23
Thanks everyone, I just got back from the range and learned quite a bit. First my 17 did not like 3.6gr of v320,it liked 3.8 better,4.0 even better and 4.2 best of all. 4.2 felt soft and was accurate in my gun son I will be loading more of these. I didn't get to try the 17L today but it will get a workout soon. I also learned that after shooting my 17 with the Vanek trigger my 36 felt awful.:shocked: Guys this is fun. Now to load some more and go shoot.
Thanks again

Doyle

Boxerglocker
09-04-2012, 14:06
I love 320 and it's all I use for 9mil. It's virtually smokeless, flashless, doesn't 'stink', meters well, is light gray in color so easily seen in the case when reloading. I simply cannot find one single flaw with 320 - except it's price and availability. Since every round I build is match ammo, cost is not a concern. I make certain I stay 4 lbs ahead on stock

I'm not saying it isn't a bad powder. I don't disagree with any of the stated advantages. However at 2K a month, the cost difference of almost and actually over 50% compared to many other commonly use competition loading powders is significant to me. That's $200 a year compared to my normal powder WST.

unclebob
09-04-2012, 14:19
Donít know if this will help you are not. What I do when raising the handle I feel the primer starting to go into the primer pocket. I then shove the handle forward. If it does not feel right when the primer first starts to go in stop, and pull the case out and see what is wrong. Saves on pulling bullets, or even destroying the primer. Most of the time itís a crimped brass. Once I learned to feel the start of the primer going in. I have not popped a primer since then. I popped 3 before I learned that trick. Have not had any since then.

SARDG
09-04-2012, 15:49
Thanks everyone, I just got back from the range and learned quite a bit. First my 17 did not like 3.6gr of v320,it liked 3.8 better,4.0 even better and 4.2 best of all. 4.2 felt soft and was accurate in my gun son I will be loading more of these...
Don't have my notes in front of me, but 4.2gr sounds like it's approaching max load. I'm rather surprised that 4.0 wasn't more than adequate (and accurate). Do you have a chrony?

I hurl 147s downrange with 3.5 - 3.6 and it's extremely soft and accurate with MG CMJ.

unclebob
09-04-2012, 15:56
Don't have my notes in front of me, but 4.2gr sounds like it's approaching max load. I'm rather surprised that 4.0 wasn't more than adequate (and accurate). Do you have a chrony?

I hurl 147s downrange with 3.5 - 3.6 and it's extremely soft and accurate with MG CMJ.

He is shooting 124gr.

SARDG
09-04-2012, 17:01
He is shooting 124gr.
I know.

DRJ1911
09-04-2012, 17:51

Thanks SARDG, I don't have a crono yet but I saw no signs of over pressure. Today for me 4.2 was the clear winner. I was hoping my best would be 3.8 or 4.0 but that isn't what I found. The 3.6 would just not run my gun, the 3.8 felt great but not very accurate. 4.0 was accurate but not up to 4.2. I have no idea what will happen with the 17l. Do you have trouble moving from a comp trigger to a stock? I sure didn't shoot my 36 very well after shooting the Vanek trigger for about 200rds. Thanks again

Doyle

SARDG
09-04-2012, 18:33
...I have no idea what will happen with the 17l. Do you have trouble moving from a comp trigger to a stock? I sure didn't shoot my 36 very well after shooting the Vanek trigger for about 200rds. Thanks again

Doyle
ALL my stock Glocks that I use for competition (26, 17, 34, 30) have OEM (-) 4.5# connectors and polished trigger groups in an effort to get (more or less) the same feel. When I go from any of those to the G34 racer - literally on a follow-up mag sometimes if shooting multiple divisions - it's most certainly different. The racer has a grip reduction, red dot, milled slide, compensator, and a Fulcrum trigger. I usualy save that for last in any competition where I shoot more than one gun and consistently score better with it than any other Glock. This is a good thing! :)

I never use my (OD) G36 as it has the worst trigger of any Glock I have ever owned. My EDC is a Kahr PM-9 and requires pulling the trigger back into the previous county to fire it. Now that's different.

Kitty

DRJ1911
09-04-2012, 19:08
Thanks SARDG, My 36 has the worst trigger of all my Glocks. Do you thank 4.2 is to hot? Maybe I should load more at 4.0 and try again. I have loaded many rounds for rifle but this is my first go at pistol. I really enjoy loading on my new dillon.:cool: Thanks again and I welcome all advise.

Doyle

F106 Fan
09-04-2012, 19:50

Doyle

For some 124 gr bullets, 4.0 grs is max for V320.
See page 49
http://www.eabco.com/VihtaVuori01.pdf

Richard

SARDG
09-04-2012, 19:59
...Do you thank 4.2 is to hot? Maybe I should load more at 4.0 and try again...
Doyle, I am just to lazy to get up and go check my data and notes and I was going by memory regarding 320 and and the 124 I use. Add to that that I've been wrong before... :whistling:

Does your published load data support 4.2 gr with a PD at that OAL? I know 320 is not ripe for data - and I personally add MG bullets to the mix, with profiles I have no data or direct comparison for.

You are checking for over-pressure signs - I always pick up my brass and do that as well.

There are several threads here discussing the virtues of a chrono and a chrono can help you identify when you're approaching the ceiling.

For general competition where I don't have to run a finicky race gun, I (and many competitors) prefer 147s. I developed my 124s for that single race gun only.

SARDG
09-04-2012, 20:04
See page 49

Richard
Thank you Richard; I thought Doyle was on the edge. Now I don't have to get up and check. :supergrin:

DRJ1911
09-04-2012, 21:12
Thanks guy's, I guess I should just load a few at 4.0 and go back to the range. 4.0 was much more accurate than 3.8 and 4.2 was better than 4.0 today. Who knows I haven't been shooting much for the last month so might have just been getting more comfortable and shooting better. Poor me I now have to load more rounds and go shoot them.:supergrin: Thanks again

Doyle

unclebob
09-05-2012, 06:30
See page 49

Richard

A couple of years ago I printed out VV load data for pistol. It looks like they reduced their Max by .1 for all of their 124 grain bullets. Starting loads stayed the same. So 4.2 is now listed at 4.1.