Why Do YOU Have Guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why Do YOU Have Guns?

hells.saints
08-25-2012, 21:31
Pretty self-explanatory...

I'll start. I'm a pretty young guy, all things considered. I'm a college student in the murder-rate capital of the US: Detroit. A while back, I was introduced to a radio political talk show host and filmmaker named Alex Jones (http://www.infowars.com). At first I thought he was a total nut, but I soon realized how well-informed and correct he is about the dire straits that the world is now in.

After learning about the corruption in our government through events and controversies like Operation Northwoods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods), COINTELPRO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cointelpro), MKUltra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mkultra), and Fast and Furious (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fast_and_Furious), I realized that I may have to use my Second Amendment right as it was intended by our founding fathers. So, I purchased a Mossberg 500, Savage Axis 30-06, MAK-90, Ruger 10/22, and Glock 19.

I first purchased guns because I realized our government is corrupt. What about you?

Apetrulis01
08-26-2012, 07:10
:popcorn:

jakebrake
08-26-2012, 07:21
honestly? because i could.:supergrin:

i was raised with firearms. it just never faded with me. i enjoy shooting...when i have the free time to.

Dan Glock
08-26-2012, 07:37
I have them because I can. Haha jk. Self defense and pleasure!

Dawolf
08-26-2012, 08:12
I have them because I can. Haha jk. Self defense and pleasure!

Ditto.:2gun:

Nakanokalronin
08-26-2012, 08:16
Who has guns? :shocked: I thought this was an airsoft site since that's all I have.

mrt949
08-26-2012, 08:20
:rofl:

smokin762
08-26-2012, 08:26
Itís a family tradition. :supergrin:

Arc Angel
08-26-2012, 08:27
Me thinks that while your question is well intended it is, also, unsophisticated and naive. (That's NOT an insult, only an observation!) :)

Why do I own guns? For the same reasons, now, that I did 50 years ago: Planet Earth, Satan's realm, evil men everywhere, and the incessant ongoing inability of mankind to equitably and morally govern itself. This is, 'Why' I own guns.

(Unfortunately for me, and others like me, both evil, AND stupid men own guns too. As if daily life isn't already thrilling enough, you've got to be able to survive each of them.) :freak:

'Sufficient to each day is its own evil.' - The Holy Bible
'A fool and his gun are soon parted.' - (Me) ;)

faawrenchbndr
08-26-2012, 08:45
Because Obama doesn't want me to have them!

arclight610
08-26-2012, 09:05
7 Elevens don't rob themselves.

Happypuppy
08-26-2012, 09:38
Personal protection and that of those near and dear is a personal responsibility.

Sent via Mental Power

Zombie Steve
08-26-2012, 09:39
Why Do YOU Have Guns?

Because of a shoulder injury, I have a hard time throwing bullets accurately at 3 times the speed of sound.

:supergrin:

Welcome to GT.

Mike 257
08-26-2012, 09:45
I have guns because I love them, I love everything about guns as a matter of fact Im going to buy one today .

Kingarthurhk
08-26-2012, 09:47
1. For work
2. For self-defense
3. For hunting
4. For a hobby
5. For a connection with family and fellow enthusiasts

That pretty much covers it.

tcruse
08-26-2012, 09:50
All of the above, but mainly for the enjoyment of using my toys to put holes in paper targets.

countrygun
08-26-2012, 09:50
Wow, 1st post and a thread with a topic line like that.

well, being as though you're new and all, I can forgive you for not knowing about the tragic boating accident, and why all I have left are memories:crying:

cajun_chooter
08-26-2012, 09:52
I like guns.. i like to shoot, hunt... and i have guns because the bad guys have guns..

I DON'T SHOOT TO KILL... I SHOOT TO STAY ALIVE

itstime
08-26-2012, 10:02
Growing up watching westerns. Playingg army and cowboys and Indians.

I was fascinated with the Military.

Tradition with family.

I just enjoy shooting holes in paper. The mechanics and smell.

Everything about them I guess. Even cleaning them.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-26-2012, 10:04
Two words: John McClaine

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

dakrat
08-26-2012, 10:04
because it brings food to the table.
because I can use it to defend my families lives.
because I enjoy shooting sports.
because I am in the military and wants to stay proficient when not deployed.

and last but not the least,

because our founding fathers said so! nuff' said

CajunBass
08-26-2012, 10:38
Well, I got the first one to shoot squirrels.

The rest of them just seemed to come along for the ride.

youngdocglock
08-26-2012, 10:42
Because its my right
Because i choose to place my safety in my own hands instead of the hands of others.

BECAUSE I LIKE ANNOYING LIBERAL AIR BAGS WHO CRINGE AT THE THOUGHT OF EVIL GUNS! :-D

JaPes
08-26-2012, 10:47
Because I can.

byf43
08-26-2012, 10:49
There's a little document that says I can.

It's called the Constitution of The United States.
The Second Amendment, specifically states that I have the Right to own firearms.

I don't want to be in violation of the Constitution.

Hour13
08-26-2012, 11:19
I grew up shooting, it's just always been something I enjoyed. I was introduced to guns at a very early age, so there really wasn't any "fascination" with them. Wasn't till I got older that I realized there were a considerable number of people who have never shot or owned guns.

Thought that was pretty damn weird.

Where I'm at now in my life, I don't spend my time blasting squirrels and soda cans in the backyard anymore. Though I certainly miss the simplicity of my younger days.

Guns for me, are now primarily for self defense. I always have a pistol on me, and one of my ARs has taken up permanent residence in the back of my car. Way of the world now.

Secondarily, I still shoot for the sheer fun of it, though it's as much a stress reliever now as just "fun". Soon, they will likely be my primary income source as well. And finally, I spend quite a bit of my free time taking non-gun friends out shooting. So far I'm batting 1000, lol. Everyone I've taken has asked to, and gone shooting with me again. Most have guns of their own now.

This makes me very happy.

Especially my chick friends. My favorite three, "my girls", live together. Young, quite attractive, and only a weenie of a dog to guard them at night. After considerable range time, each will soon have immediate access to a weapon in their respective areas of the house. This allows me to sleep much easier when I'm not there.

I even have a Hippie convert under my belt now, lol! Very good friend of mine for years now, has always been known as "Hippie Will". He's in his mid-20s, Peace Symbol sticker in his back window, rope sandals, the whole nine yards.

He's slowly learning the world is not what college told him it would be, lol. He's become a helluva good shot over the last couple years, keeps 15+1rds of .40 on his hip, and is in the process of assembling his first AR.

:rock:

Lior
08-26-2012, 12:16
Because I enjoy shooting them, because as an individualist I think that protection of oneself and one's family is one's own business, not that of the state, and because of the principle of my oath of allegiance to the state going both ways - I'll pay your taxes and wear your uniform, and in return you let me carry wherever whenever. Seems to work.

NeverMore1701
08-26-2012, 12:32
First, I believe that as a human being it is my responsibility to protect myself, my loved ones, and my belongings. The facts that I enjoy shooting and it bothers people who think I should be a helpless little subject are just icing on the cake.

tedwhite
08-26-2012, 13:55
I'm an Arizona Ranger and live on the border.

concretefuzzynuts
08-26-2012, 14:41
I have had guns since I was 7. It would be odd for me NOT to have one.

Motor City Glocker
08-26-2012, 14:55
I can't imagine my life without guns, I always have a pistol strapped to my hip, even at home.

Why do I own them ?
-personal protection
-love of recreational shooting
-expanding my small collection
-most importantly, exercising a constitutionally protected right

We all have our own reasons, these are mine.:wavey:

MNOD Glocker
08-26-2012, 15:27
I always have been around them, my dad has a fairly substantial collection and has raised me to respect firearms, to shoot them accuratly, and to some extent, buy some pretty cool ones! (He has told me from time to time I spend a liiiiitle too much on them though).

Anywho I started off with a G-22 and then purchased a G-19, both second generations. Do you know what happens when you leave two Glocks un-attended for any length of time???

They breed like rats :supergrin:

countrygun
08-26-2012, 16:07
I'm an Arizona Ranger and live on the border.

:cool::wavey:

I'm an Oregonian and live on the California border, at the rate it's going, there won't be too much difference in a couple of years.

The_Gun_Guru
08-26-2012, 20:01
Welcome to GT!!!!:wavey:

For me, because I can. Because it is my right as an American citizen.

OP....I do agree with you about the government corruption though. I do believe that we will need to use our guns AGAINST our own government in OUR LIFETIME!

What if we didn't have guns 237 years ago?:wavey:

We would all be drinking tea instead of coffee and watching Monday Night Soccer!:ack:

Guns saved this country once and I believe that they will save it again!

TGG

Creatism
08-26-2012, 20:09
If you've never fired one you just wouldn't understand.
I own them cause I can, for defense and for the most important. They are a blast to shoot

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NEOH212
08-26-2012, 20:19
Because it's my right to do so. Because I can.

I don't need any other reasons than those two.

bonehead098
08-26-2012, 20:22
What happened to the OP? One post & out.

concretefuzzynuts
08-26-2012, 20:23
Because it's my right to do so. Because I can.

I don't need any other reasons than those two.

It's not 4:30 in the morning. What are you doing out of your cage?
:supergrin::wavey:

NEOH212
08-26-2012, 20:40
It's not 4:30 in the morning. What are you doing out of your cage?
:supergrin::wavey:

Someone forgot to latch it! :supergrin:

No, I just got done putting a cylinder head back on a 3406E Cat engine in a customers truck. I thought I'd sit down and relax for a while before I adjusted the valves and injectors.

Busy, Busy but the money is good! :cool:

concretefuzzynuts
08-26-2012, 20:41
Someone forgot to latch it! :supergrin:

No, I just got done putting a cylinder head back on a 3406E Cat engine in a customers truck. I thought I'd sit down and relax for a while before I adjusted the valves and injectors.

Busy, Busy but the money is good! :cool:

You....... ROCK!

janice6
08-26-2012, 20:43
I have had rifles forever (in my years). Yet, I am anewcomer to handguns. I have only hadsome for around 15 years now. I boughtmy first one because I was sorry I let my father’s old 1911 go, in a moment ofweakness. I bought another to amend my frivolousaction.

The act of shooting seemed to come over me at once when Iwas insulted in such a way as no man can condone.

It all started when I found a scrap of paper fluttering acrossthe yard. When I picked it up, I saw it hadcircles on it with the center ones blacked out.

I cannot tell you how furious this made me seeing thispattern flaunting me like that. Thedisgusting pattern seemed to be leering at me and taunting me to do anythingabout its very existence.

I became so upset, I took it, and some others I managed tobuy from a street vender that was selling them out of his car trunksurreptitiously, gathered my punishment tools together, and headed for asuitable spot to wreck havoc on these atrocities of mankind. I immediately recognized that this was some kind ofaffront to my manhood, and it had to be stopped in its tracks, here and now.

I found a place where others of my conviction, were gatheredtogether to eliminate as many of these unspeakable printings as possible. We hung them in a fashion suitable to theirdisgusting nature, and proceeded to shoot them with vengeance, ferocity andvigor.

When we killed and destroyed as many as we were able to thatday, I decided to make it my lifelong commitment to go periodically to this gathering place, with my new foundfriends, to create as much carnage among these obscene patterns as possible.

I formed a rather strong bond with my fellow paper slayersand set aside a predetermined time each month to continue our virtuous quest.

Now I go to the range and shoot paper for fun every chance Iget, and frequently my extended family joins me. It’s fun.

bac1023
08-26-2012, 21:03
I first purchased guns because I realized our government is corrupt. What about you?

...because I want them.

Interesting first post, by the way. You'll fit right in. ;)

Warp
08-26-2012, 21:06
In case I have to shoot somebody or something. That's the primary reason.

Berto
08-26-2012, 21:12
God has bestowed it upon me as a moral imperative.
Too many unwashed folks out there.

ctfireman
08-26-2012, 21:19
I've always had a natural attratction to firearms since childhood. It goes without saying i believe in our rights & carry on a daily basis but it's more than that. I'm very intrigued by the mechanics of how they work. I see them almost like works of art.

GLOCK17DB9
08-26-2012, 21:21
cuz i don't want to collect beanie babies.:supergrin:

Hour13
08-26-2012, 21:21
I have had rifles forever (in my years). Yet, I am anewcomer to handguns. I have only hadsome for around 15 years now. I boughtmy first one because I was sorry I let my fatherís old 1911 go, in a moment ofweakness. I bought another to amend my frivolousaction.

The act of shooting seemed to come over me at once when Iwas insulted in such a way as no man can condone.

It all started when I found a scrap of paper fluttering acrossthe yard. When I picked it up, I saw it hadcircles on it with the center ones blacked out.

I cannot tell you how furious this made me seeing thispattern flaunting me like that. Thedisgusting pattern seemed to be leering at me and taunting me to do anythingabout its very existence.

I became so upset, I took it, and some others I managed tobuy from a street vender that was selling them out of his car trunksurreptitiously, gathered my punishment tools together, and headed for asuitable spot to wreck havoc on these atrocities of mankind. I immediately recognized that this was some kind ofaffront to my manhood, and it had to be stopped in its tracks, here and now.

I found a place where others of my conviction, were gatheredtogether to eliminate as many of these unspeakable printings as possible. We hung them in a fashion suitable to theirdisgusting nature, and proceeded to shoot them with vengeance, ferocity andvigor.

When we killed and destroyed as many as we were able to thatday, I decided to make it my lifelong commitment to go periodically to this gathering place, with my new foundfriends, to create as much carnage among these obscene patterns as possible.

I formed a rather strong bond with my fellow paper slayersand set aside a predetermined time each month to continue our virtuous quest.

Now I go to the range and shoot paper for fun every chance Iget, and frequently my extended family joins me. Itís fun.

EPIC!

:rock:

Trigger Finger
08-26-2012, 22:28
I think this is two questions combined into one. First, Why do YOU Have Guns? Because I like them and I had to carry a gun for my job.
Second, Why do you carry a Gun? I carried one because of my job and for protection!

There is a great response to both of those questions that I memorized and think it is extremely accurate.

This appeared in the Dillon Blue Press in 2007 and is attributed to Marko Kloes:

"When I carry a gun, I donít do so because I am looking for a fight, but because Iím looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I donít carry it because Iím afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesnít limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation Ö and thatís why carrying a gun is a civilized act."

NeverMore1701
08-27-2012, 00:09
Alternate answer:

Because my alcohol and tobacco would be lonely without their brother!

HTCgorilla
08-27-2012, 00:46
:rofl:Because of a shoulder injury, I have a hard time throwing bullets accurately at 3 times the speed of sound.

:supergrin:

Welcome to GT.

NEOH212
08-27-2012, 01:03
Alternate answer:

ZombieJoe
08-27-2012, 01:21
I own guns for several reasons. The big three are, self (and fam) defense, hunting, and FUN!

BTW, for only having a handful of guns, you have a very nice selection. It seems you have all the basic bases covered.

And WELCOME TO GT!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glock40man
08-27-2012, 02:11
Alternate answer:

Welcome to GT!

SigFTW
08-27-2012, 07:13
I have guns and am fascinated at all the thing it can be used for, like propping up a table with one short leg, scooping ice cream, using the butt of my gun as a hammer, cutting a log in half (tanks a lot of bullets), using it for pest control and then using it to fill in the holes with plaster after using it for pest control:tongueout:

simotek
08-27-2012, 07:22
1) Because I can
2) Self Defense
3) They are FUN!
4) So they can't take my guns :rofl:

EdMan63
08-27-2012, 14:35
While I don't agree with you labeling our city (the media is bad enough, but residents should be a little better) I do agree the WORLD has become a dangerous place.

I began shooting and collecting guns about 4 year ago after getting my CPL. I've since learned to shoot and enjoy buying, collecting and shooting guns. I hope I never have to use any of my guns for defensive reasons, but I feel better knowing I am capable.

Tallahassee
08-27-2012, 20:26
I didn't grew up around guns. My mom was and still is very against firearms.

Before I got into guns I raced motocross with my family and did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu almost every day, sometimes twice a day. When I was in my early 20s, though, I had a couple blood clots and had to go on blood thinners for the rest of my life. It was a genetic thing and my dad has the same problem, we we had to give up the dirt bikes. Before this we were riding or racing every weekend, it was a family thing. Giving that up was hard for the entire family, but it really hit me hard because I had to give up Jiu Jitsu competition at the same time. Talk about depression.

But then a very close friend of mine stepped in and took me to a pistol range. I'll never forget it, it was awesome. I spent some time trying out different firearms before I got my first, but then I settled on a G21SF and that was all she wrote. I was hooked. Since then I've gotten into Smith and Wesson Revolvers, 1911s, shotguns, recently West German Sigs, and this year I've been venturing into rifles.

I love a lot of things about guns, but my favorite thing is it is one of the very few activities that I'm interested in that I don't feel limited due to the blood thinner I have to take. I still train jiu jitsu, but my competitive days are over (at a pretty young age), and I now only roll with friends that are aware of my situation and that I trust. I still feel like I'm taking my life in my hands sometimes, but I love it too much to give it up.

Even better than all that, though, is it has given me and my dad something to do together again. A couple years ago he got a Browning shotgun so we could shoot clays together. I have to give my mom credit here. She's still an anti, but she was the one who gave my dad the push to get his shotgun so that we could share another hobby. Pretty cool.

So, while I appreciate the ability to defend myself and my family, the real reasons I have guns are that they're interesting to me, a lot of fun, and still something I can do to the best of my ability without feeling different from anyone else my age. And best of all, it's something I can still do with my dad.

hells.saints
08-27-2012, 21:31
While I don't agree with you labeling our city (the media is bad enough, but residents should be a little better) I do agree the WORLD has become a dangerous place.

Sorry, I guess I'll go back to telling everyone that Detroit is a crime-free paradise.

EdMan63
08-28-2012, 07:23
Sorry, I guess I'll go back to telling everyone that Detroit is a crime-free paradise.

Well I doubt you ever did that to begin with. Far be it for me to imply that Detroit is a crime free city. I just think you could have made you point without...........

Forget it!!!

illrooster132
08-28-2012, 18:13
I just plain love'm. alway have and my dream rifle. would be a G3

GasTurbine
08-29-2012, 05:55
Started shooting and hunting as a child, and just wanted different guns. Now, at 51, I no longer hunt, so I guess Im more of a collector...modern handguns mostly...I have 19 of them, and can shoot them on my own property. I do have 2 shotguns, and 2 rifles as well.

I dont do any competition, or belong to any range/group.

I also carry, and keep a couple-few outside the safe in hidden areas around the house for home protection...all the kids are gone now...its just me and the better half.

I guess I would call myself a recreation collector/shooter.

Bilbo Bagins
08-29-2012, 06:55
As a kid it was because I was raise with them. Then when I got older, working as a cop made it necessary.

But the funny thing is I'm not a cop anymore and I have more guns now then ever.

I don't have any tin foil hat reason. My wife is satisified with the size of member so its not a compensating, "guns make me feel like a man" reason. Most of my collection was bought before Obama got into office so it has nothing to do with crazy partisan political fear.

At the end of the day they are just handy to have, fun to shoot, and just another hobby to fill my time and unfortunately take my money.

M&P15T
08-29-2012, 07:13
Because I ****ing love them.

SouthpawG26
08-29-2012, 07:50
I carry a gun because carrying a cop around has proven to be heavy and impractical. I tried that first.

It ties up your hands, basically. Plus he needed to be fed every few hours.

erkman
08-29-2012, 14:16
For when the zombies come.

glocked1
08-30-2012, 10:39
Because I enjoy target shooting.

Ballisticism
09-01-2012, 21:34
It's part of my religion.

Rancher
09-01-2012, 21:45
Two words ZOM BIES! And cause I can.

Rancher

UtahIrishman
09-01-2012, 22:04
Primarily because I like them.
Also for self-defense
And to annoy my relatives who don't like guns :supergrin:

JD_19x9
09-01-2012, 22:33
1. Grew up with firearms (I've never been without them).
2. Currently, our laws allow me to possess and carry one.
3. I enjoy shooting, training and learning new things.
4. Personal protection.
5. Because I can't take my Pit Bull everywhere. :supergrin:

shyguy
09-02-2012, 07:38
Because the bad guys have them.