For those with adjustable sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For those with adjustable sights

CDR_Glock
08-26-2012, 07:32
Depending upon the ammunition I use, the gun handles differently. I'll find that zero for one ammo brand can change significantly from one brand to another. This requires setting a new zero if that is the case. So do you check zero on your guns when you shoot different ammo?

Gdirty5
08-26-2012, 16:59
I shoot different ammo depending on my gun, and yes, there is a POI shift depending on ammo. I have my HK USP SD set up for fiocchi 158gr, and my other 9mm hosts set up for 147 gr federal. My carry guns I don't shoot at distance so the shift isn't that much and use practice and carry ammo with it.

CBennett
08-26-2012, 17:10
Depending upon the ammunition I use, the gun handles differently. I'll find that zero for one ammo brand can change significantly from one brand to another. This requires setting a new zero if that is the case. So do you check zero on your guns when you shoot different ammo?

I love adjustable sights..but thats just ebcause I want MY gun to shoot the type and weight of ammo I want to use to point of aim...not just some random weight and brand of ammo that that maker used.. so I generally make it shoot my carry ammo to point of aim then work from there...lets say they discontinue that line or I cant find that weight for some reason...then I have the option of resetting for a different brand/weight(grain) of ammo

now lets say I wanted to go to a competition and I dont have practice round nose fmj rounds in 124 grain(which is normally what I carry for CC in either Gold Dots or Golden Sabre) I like the choice to set the sights for 115 grain FMJ....as you said they all shoot different...

so if its for range fun I dont worry about it but for competition or accuracy work I do try to make sure im hitting POA of what im using

I have not switched my POA off my gold dots for over a year..I just suffer the slight loss with my federal 115 grain practice stuff :)

fnfalman
08-26-2012, 17:22
I zero the gun for my favorite ammo brand and model, then I leave it be.

collim1
08-26-2012, 17:47
In a rifle yes. In a handgun the change is pretty minor. You can minimize the effect between brands by buying the same weight/velocity bullet no matter what brand you are shooting.

Caver 60
08-26-2012, 20:13
In a rifle yes. In a handgun the change is pretty minor. You can minimize the effect between brands by buying the same weight/velocity bullet no matter what brand you are shooting.

Collim has it pretty well nailed. Bullet weight and bullet velocity are the two main variables. But if you shoot at 25 yards or greater range, the change is pretty noticeable. For instance shooting the same weight bullet in 38 special vs 357 magnum requires a one turn change or so on the elevation screw of most of my revolvers to re-zero.

This may sound backwards but remember for handguns, light weight bullets at high velocities will shoot lower than heavier bullets at low velocities. The biggest change comes from barrel time and recoil rather than from actual changes in drop due to gravity.

Due to the design of a handgun the gun is always moving upward when the bullet exits the muzzle. The faster moving bullets leave the climbing muzzle at a lower elevation angle than the slower bullets, there by hitting lower on the target.

That's why if you sandbag a handgun, make sure no part of the handgun touches the sandbags when you're shooting. It can change impact point from what you experience when shooting offhand, due to the way the gun will recoil depending on what part of the gun is touching the sandbags.

And for what it's worth I use a six O'Clock hold and zero the bullets about three inches high to hit the center of the bull. I can shoot moving targets much better that way. If I use a center hold when zeroing, I always seem to shoot under moving targets.

Wyoming
08-26-2012, 21:21

This.

I assume you are asking about defensive handguns. If so, I find that at the short range that they are sighted in at (25 yards for me), as long as I stay with same bullet weight and velocity very little deferents.

for hunting handguns I would sight them in at 100 yards and use only one load.

ronin.45
08-27-2012, 08:04

This^

The poi shift between brands is not enough to worry about.