CZ 550 American does it need Upgrades? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CZ 550 American does it need Upgrades?

smokin762
08-26-2012, 07:59
Next year, I want to start hunting again. I want a deer rifle but I am also interested in it for black bear hunting. I would prefer to keep it in .308 Win, since I already own a few rifles in that caliber. I have been looking at a few rifles that I am interested in but can’t really decide which one to buy.

Since I will only be using it for hunting, I don’t want to have too much money invested into it but I do want something that is accurate and dependable.

In the past, I have owned a Savage Arms 110 in 30-06. I felt it was a decent rifle with good accuracy. I have heard a lot of good things about CZ Rifles also. I have heard they have a smooth action with a nice trigger and are very accurate.

While searching around for prices on the CZ 550 American rifle, I found a website that offers upgrades for the CZ 550 rifle.

Are these upgrades needed for the CZ 550 rifle to function properly and to make it more accurate or is this upgrade kind of a waste of money. :dunno:

CZ –USA
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-american/

American Hunting Rifles Upgrades
http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm

AK_Stick
08-26-2012, 14:11
No, the 550 is perfectly good as a hunting rifle, as you buy it.

AHR, does some things to make them nicer, but they are in no way required.

I will be shipping my 6.5 off to them eventually, but only because I want the model 70 style safety, and re-cut crown.

Out of the box, both of my newer CZ's have been wonderfully accurate, and have great triggers. IMO, in their price range, its impossible to beat them as a wood stocked hunting rifle.

My older CZ, has been cut up and used as the heart for a custom gun, but I absolutely love it too.

If you have any specific CZ questions, PM me.

SRS
08-26-2012, 16:48
I have the exact gun you are looking at - CZ 550 American in .308 with a wood stock - and really like it. The upgrades would be nice but certainly aren't necessary. I haven't done any serious long range shooting with it, but it has a really nice stock trigger and is within 1 MOA at 100 yards.

You may also want to check out the CZ 550 carbine in .30-06. It's a little shorter than the 550 American and may be a little lighter.

I'm a really big fan of the CZ rifles. I have around 4 and plan to pick up some more soon. I think you'd be happy with the 550 American as a hunting rifle.

pennlineman
08-26-2012, 18:42
I have one in 6.5x55. These rifles are good to go out of the box. Good value for the money too.

smokin762
08-27-2012, 14:51
Thank you for the replies. :wavey:

Itís always nice to hear from those with experience. The Gun Shop that I like to deal with is closed on Mondays. After work tomorrow, Iíll have to see if they have any in stock so I can look at a CZ 550 American.

Yesterday, I took my daughter to the Mall to shop for school cloths. While I was there, I stopped in at Dickís Sporting Goods. They didnít have any CZ rifles. I asked to see a Savage model 11/111 FCNS. They will not take off the trigger lock for the customer to see if they liked the trigger. I thought that was lame. :dunno:

southernshooter
08-27-2012, 16:43
Just bought one used but perfect. Nice wood and metal. Shoots very well. About the trigger: when you push it forward, it becomes a set trigger with a very light pull. The regular pull is also fine without using the set trigger function. Mine is 30-06, paid $595 with 3.8x12x44 scope included. They don't have sights, made for scope use only.

smokin762
08-28-2012, 17:26
Just bought one used but perfect. Nice wood and metal. Shoots very well. About the trigger: when you push it forward, it becomes a set trigger with a very light pull. The regular pull is also fine without using the set trigger function. Mine is 30-06, paid $595 with 3.8x12x44 scope included. They don't have sights, made for scope use only.

Monday, a coworker told me that CZ has a set trigger. I find that interesting. I never tried a set trigger before.

I am liking this rifle more and more. :supergrin:

On a hunting rifle, I am fine just having a scope on it. Years ago, I had a couple hunting rifles that I took the sights off so that I could keep a low profile with the scope.

BTW, thank you for the info. :wavey: