PDA

View Full Version : hearing protection

billn
08-26-2012, 08:25
Decent hearing protection on a budget?

jhertzler
08-26-2012, 08:28
Howard Leight electronic muffs. Thin, light, effective. Joe

Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ShugcEeRL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ShugcEeRL

hps
08-26-2012, 08:31
I have a pair of those and they work great, but they are HOT!! I like the plain ole ear plugs that are connected by the orange plastic band that goes around ur neck.

SARDG
08-26-2012, 08:50
Muffs nearly always provide greater hearing protection than inserts. Amplified (electronic) muffs allow the shooter to hear range commands and timer buzzers better if you shoot competitively.

If you are shooting rifles however, muffs often make it more difficult to get a good cheek weld.

jakebrake
08-26-2012, 08:52
Muffs nearly always provide greater hearing protection than inserts. Amplified (electronic) muffs allow the shooter to hear range commands and timer buzzers better if you shoot competitively.

If you are shooting rifles however, muffs often make it more difficult to get a good cheek weld.

if you want to be hardcore about it, go plugs and muffs.

mingaa
08-26-2012, 08:53
I double up with passive muffs rated at 33 and soft plugs I buy in bulk that are high 20s - maybe 30 iirc. Basic but effective. It's a habit like seat belts. Maybe it's overkill in some situations but better that than the alternative.

SARDG
08-26-2012, 09:34
I double up... ...better that than the alternative.
Huh? Whazzat, quit mumbling!

Yes, I'm a disabled veteran with a noise-induced hearing loss and it's rather aggravating - on a good day!

dakrat
08-26-2012, 10:46
the one I use a lot is the Brownell's electronic muff made by pro ears.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/files/imagecache/photo-single/photo/1001321579/brownells.jpg

it comes with nice coushy leather cups.

I also have the Howard Leight muff mention above. I do not like how shallow the cups which puts pressure on my outer cartilage and hurts after a few hours.

barth
08-26-2012, 11:28

Don't go cheap on your hearing.
It cannot be replaced.

Pro-Ears Ultra 33 Earmuffs (NRR 33 dB) - $36.49 + Shipping
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1871222091/pro-ears-ultra-33-earmuffs-nrr-33-db
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/440x330/primary/553/553514.jpg

damnyankee20
08-26-2012, 11:46

I use the Howard Leight QB1HYG (NRR 27 dB):
Amazon.com: Howard Leight Quiet Band Inner-Aural Hearing Protection Band - QB1HYG Hearing Protection Band - QB1HYG: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31vUvc6SJ6L.@@AMEPARAM@@31vUvc6SJ6L

I own several of these and they work GREAT when I'm firing my G20. I was skeptical before I tried them...but they save the ears and are extremely light weight. Buh-bye sweaty ear muffs!

Glock Junkie
08-26-2012, 12:13
They sell the Howard Leight L3 at Dicks Sporting goods for 15 bucks

ak103k
08-26-2012, 12:26
I buy box of these every so often. I use them for work and shooting, and always have three or four packs in my pocket. You never know when you might need them. They are rated 33db and work better than the over the head type, especially if youre shooting a long gun. The muffs just get in the way there.

http://www.earplugstore.com/holemax3bof2.html

sciolist
08-26-2012, 12:57
Double up, but use active muffs to replace the low-volume hearing you lose from the plugs. The muffs in Post #2 are good, or go way cheap with the $30 Caldwell ones. The plugs protect your inner ear, and muffs amplify and protect the area around your ear. Main problem with cheap active muffs is feedback and wind noise.

As far as heat goes, just step away from the shooting and take the muffs off every so often - leaving the plugs in.

I started out with the ones in Post #9, but they are comically large, do not protect as well as double-plugging with active muffs, and are impossible to use with long guns. So I ended up switching to my hearing band for long gun stages, which exposes the outer ear area, and you're basically stone deaf., so can’t hear range commands very well.

For O/P, I'd say Caldwells + a bottle of plugs = GTG for ~$40. You can always upgrade the muffs later if you start shooting more, and you'll have something to use for friends, wife, etc.

wdp
08-26-2012, 13:01
I can't say enough good things about Surefire Sonic Defenders. They are so comfortable and they stay put I your ear canal. Make sure you follow the sizing chart for the correct fit. Should be available around $12-$15.

Shark1007
08-26-2012, 13:54
I agree with the pro ears 33.

The electronics shifted duty to sitting on top of the safe in case Mr Mini 14 needs to go off in the house.

TH3180
08-26-2012, 14:36
http://www.opsgear.com/common/images/products/thumb/FA-EAR-PLUGS_01_tn.jpg

SARDG
08-26-2012, 15:57
I can't say enough good things about Surefire Sonic Defenders. They are so comfortable and they stay put I your ear canal. Make sure you follow the sizing chart for the correct fit. Should be available around $12-$15.
I use the Sonic Defender PLUS and they are very good if you get the correct fit.

ghostrider88
08-26-2012, 20:05
Radians custom molded ear plugs, $9.99

toshbar
08-26-2012, 23:19
Peltor Ultimate 10. best $30 on ear pro I've spent. i thought it was kinda high, but they block so much sound. I think they're rated at 30dB NRR. I can't hear my .22 shots impact my gongs 50 yards away.

jjslice
08-26-2012, 23:39
what do you guys use for eye protection when using electronic ear pro? I have some Howard Leight's but when I wear eye protection it causes a break in the seal of the hearing protection against my head and it doesn't make it as effective, especially indoors.

ashecht
08-27-2012, 06:20

Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345991228&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight)

These are what I use

cciman
08-27-2012, 15:04
Yeah, I have a pair of these, high highfaluting surefires ...foam ones work just as well. Not worth the money. Foam is my first choice.
I've tried and used many ear gadgets-- very few are worth the hype, but they definitely can thin your wallet.
For electronic muffs to hear range sounds-- Sportsman's guide, stereo muffs, $19.

HenryinFlorida
08-27-2012, 15:52
I am using some Pelton Ultimat 10 ear muffs. They work great, and do a good job of blocking the sound teh sound at the indoor range I use. They were $20. from amazon.com

racer88
08-27-2012, 16:40
I hope the OP doesn't mind a bit of thread drift (or a slightly different tack).

I'd like to know which is the BEST hearing protection available (passive or active) with money NOT being the object. I can't seem to (by research) get a consensus on whose product is considered hands-down the BEST you can get to protect your hearing. The focus always seems to be on cost.

I spent over $100 for my Revision eye protection. Well worth it. What's the BEST hearing protection? OK... it just occurred to me to head off the obvious smart-*** answer: A suppressor! haha! What's the best product to put on or in my ears?

vafish
08-27-2012, 16:44
Disposable foam plugs, properly inserted.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SARDG
08-27-2012, 17:02
...I'd like to know which is the BEST hearing protection available (passive or active) with money NOT being the object. I can't seem to (by research) get a consensus on whose product is considered hands-down the BEST you can get to protect your hearing....
I have, and have tried MANY. The Pro Ears electronic $300 version have 33db NRR (at some frequencies) and are relatively comfortable and have great 'sound'. They are however, huge and hot and also use special batteries. They do have replaceable foam ear cushions.

I have never found empirical data showing lab tests of reliable data on popular hearing protection, so everything else you may 'hear' (pun intended) is simply subjective conjecture.

The best hearing protection is the hearing protection you will wear religiously and correctly. Most people who want maximum protection wear both inserts and muffs.

collim1
08-27-2012, 17:22
Muffs are HOT in warm weather. For that reason I prefer foam plugs. The plastic plugs with the ribs hurt my ears after a while.

When shooting a rifle I wear plugs and muffs. For handguns and shotguns foam plugs are just fine IMO.

racer88
08-27-2012, 17:55
I have, and have tried MANY. The Pro Ears electronic $300 version have 33db NRR (at some frequencies) and are relatively comfortable and have great 'sound'. They are however, huge and hot and also use special batteries. They do have replaceable foam ear cushions.

I have never found empirical data showing lab tests of reliable data on popular hearing protection, so everything else you may 'hear' (pun intended) is simply subjective conjecture.

The best hearing protection is the hearing protection you will wear religiously and correctly. Most people who want maximum protection wear both inserts and muffs.

Yep... I wear foam plugs plus passive muffs. Works pretty well. But, I'm always looking for the next best thing. I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. So, I figure if I can get any more of an "edge" in protection, then I'm willing to spend the bucks.

And, I've never seen any sort of objective comparison of this particular piece of safety equipment.

SARDG
08-27-2012, 18:19
...I figure if I can get any more of an "edge" in protection, then I'm willing to spend the bucks...
...and that's why I've tried so many myself. As a matter of fact I cannot even remember off-hand, how many I've tried over the years.

I am a disabled veteran with a noise-induced hearing loss, so not eager to increase my loss.

Good luck on your search and research...

harberad
08-27-2012, 19:00
I use ear muffs made by Stihl, the chainsaw company. They are like 12 bucks and work great.

sonoma
08-27-2012, 19:44
jj slice has a good question and i have the same problem.No matter what earmuffs i use, my glasses cause a break in the seal around my ears.I also use macs swim ear plugs and it still seems loud.

Kloogee
08-27-2012, 21:03
Anything other than winter shooting, I find muffs to be too hot for me. So I mostly go with the Howard Leight 33db NRR in ear foam plugs. I haven't found anything better as long as you get them in correctly. But its important to get them in correctly or you are defeating their protection.

Ironbar
08-27-2012, 22:47
http://www.opsgear.com/common/images/products/thumb/FA-EAR-PLUGS_01_tn.jpg

No kidding. Cheap-*** earplugs are all I wear anymore. I have ear muffs, and wear them when it's cold, but during warmer weather they're too hot, and shooting rifle they interfere with my cheek weld. Screw it, for $0.50 a pair, AND I can run them through the washing machine when they get dirty, I'll take ear plugs any day.

TexasGlockster
08-28-2012, 05:18
Disposable foam plugs, properly inserted.

This. MOST muffs have an NRR (noise reduction rating) of between 23 and 27. You can buy a whole bunch of ear plugs for almost nothing with a rating of 33. That's where you start. I would also recommend doubling up though and getting some good muffs. From what I've read, doubling up adds about 5 NRR to the plugs.

That said, make sure you insert them properly. Most rush through it and don't put them in right, so they are less effective.

Check out how to do it right

fnfalman
08-28-2012, 19:46

El Cheapo muff (Winchester brand or whatever generic brand) at Wally World + foam earplugs (a dime a dozen) = excellent ear protection for dirt cheap.

1gewehr
08-29-2012, 11:27
The BEST protection is foam ear plugs. The Howard Leight plugs are highly rated at 33db and are pretty comfortable. Add decent muffs on top and you can get up to 42-43db protection. Note that decibels are logarithmic, not additive. You can't add 33db plugs plus 27db muffs and get 60db protection.

up1911fan
08-29-2012, 20:05

Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345991228&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight)

This.

Glock30Eric
08-29-2012, 20:11
Born deaf and the problem is solved. :) I could shoot .30-06 without anything covering my ears.

Gdirty5
08-29-2012, 20:15
I use the sure fire ear silicon earplugs and they are comfortable, but I also keep some cheap ear plugs I buy from Walmart with a 33 or 36 nrr rating. They are purple and work great. I usually double up the plugs and the Howard leight ear muffs when shooting indoors. Also I have some 3m ear muffs that are the most quiet ones I've used. Same one the people at the airport uses.

pspez
08-29-2012, 22:14
Bought some from Midway. MidwayUSA Ultimate 10 Earmuffs by Peltor (NRR 30dB) Black. $25.00 Work great.

SouthpawG26
08-30-2012, 19:20
As a few others have mentioned, I double up with plugs and electronic muffs turned on to compensate for hearing range commands properly.

Allow me to add an additonal point on the profile of the muffs (touched on briefly by Ironbar). If you just shoot handguns the cup shape will not matter much, but if you shoot shotgun and/or rifle as well, bulky earmuffs cups interfere with the cheakweld.

Most would advise low profile (shallow) earmuffs cups, but it's important that the lower part of the muff cups are scalloped for getting a proper cheakweld on a shouldered weapon.

Example: The popular Peltor 6s on the left and the aforementioned Howard Leight R-01526 on the right. Both are good budget choices in the 45-55$ range (the HL has just a single volume knob, uses less batteries, which are also easier to swap, and a plug for your Ipod, which is why I like it better than the Peltor).
Both are generally considered low profile, but see them head on, and you'll notice why the HL is so much easier to use with shotguns and rifles than the Peltor.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/cervelop2k/9d523e0e.jpg

Darkangel1846
08-31-2012, 11:19
Best way is to not screw around using cheap stuff to protect your hearing. Once your hearing goes you can never get it back.(take it from someone who knows.)
Go to Bell Tone and have them make you a pair of custom molded ear plugs(cost about 20-30 bucks) buy top end muffs or eletronic muffs....do not buy the cheap items as they will always fail. You will thank me when you turn 50.

Warp
08-31-2012, 12:49

Peltor Ultimate 10 ear muffs. Should be $20-$30, depending on where you get them. NRR of 30.

+

Foam earplugs. Cheap. You can get 20-30 pairs for like $5. NRR of 30-33

Combined = the most hearing protection you can get, basically.

Highly recommend.

arnoldstrong
08-31-2012, 17:33

THIS...i use these with regular foam plugs and I am so pleased with the performance I have bought 4 pairs---one for girlfriend, and one for each of my parents. :cool:

Wash-ar15
09-01-2012, 09:38
the thicker the muff and cushion, the better they will block noise is what i have found. I have a set of the HL sport and found them lacking in both fit and noise reduction. Got a set of older peltor 7s and they block so much noise and the thick cushions so i can wear them all day.

Faulkner
09-01-2012, 09:56
I get these at Walmart.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUDW6IGofNYEJ6Sy1q6CuvexR5Cdn6lBQY59B93g5tFGUbrNHT