Bought a Ruger SR9c and some info for you [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Ruger SR9c and some info for you

40frank
08-26-2012, 10:47
After I found out the problems with the FN FNS-9 http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439164
I decided to buy a SR9C to go with my full size SR9. I own several Glocks in various sizes and calibers, but I can't help to be totally impressed by Ruger's striker fired handguns. I know they had some minor bugs, but they are all worked out. These "bugs" never really had anything to do with reliability, but dealt with the trigger and customer feedback concerning the magazine release. I will share what I have learned in case someone is considering.

Unofficially the newest ones out on the Market are called third generation. When the first ones came out, they found that in some cases if the handgun was dropped, they had the possibility of discharging. Ruger recalled them and added a Glock-like trigger safety. Complaints started coming in that the new trigger was heavy and gritty. Furthermore, people didn't like the magazine release, stating it was too hard to release a magazine. Ruger refined the trigger and the magazine release when the SR9c was released. They added these changes to the new SR9s.

The bad news is the older SR9s cannot be retro-fitted with the new set up. The good news is the newest ones with the updates are some of the finest striker fired handguns on the market. You can tell if the full size SR9s have these updates by looking at the magazine release button. If it is completely round, it does not have the latest updates. It will be reliable, but the trigger will not be as good. If the magazine release button is horseshoe shaped it has all the latest and greatest. If I can figure out how to post more pictures, I will add them to this thread. (I've reached my limit, and I'm not sure how to make room.)
There was not any changes to the SR9c. The changes were incorporated during production.

I hope this helps someone considering the Ruger SR9/SR9c. I am not trying to sell anyone on them, just stating my opinion that they are very underrated an excellent handguns. Frank.

M2 Carbine
08-26-2012, 11:05
Good report.
I did not know those details.

My three SRC's (2 SR9C and a SR40C) are "third generation"
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/SR9Claser.jpg

They are favorite guns (after I removed the magazine "safety).

CBennett
08-26-2012, 11:17
Yup, got the SR9c as a UPgrade from a Glock 23(MUCH better ergonomics) and have loved it since. better trigger, better sights stock(fully adjustable), ambi mag release. thinner noticeably than a Glock and love the 10/17 round backup mag concepts...1 for CC easier to conceal and the reload a full 17 rounds..nice.

And to boot its as reliable as my Glock ever was so its a win/win..oh and its a bit more accurate also not super more accurate but tighter groups

40frank
08-26-2012, 15:41
Good report.
I did not know those details.

My three SRC's (2 SR9C and a SR40C) are "third generation"
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/SR9Claser.jpg

They are favorite guns (after I removed the magazine "safety).

How are you liking that Crimson trace? I am thinking about getting one myself.

M2 Carbine
08-26-2012, 16:26
How are you liking that Crimson trace? I am thinking about getting one myself.
I'm a big laser fan. I have about a dozen Crimson Trace on handguns, including a LCP. (Got a home range for low light/dark practice).

Interesting SR9/CT laser tale.
Some months back a lady I taught to shoot wanted us to shoot on one of those live fire simulators.
(the lady herself is interesting, being a retired movie stunt woman and she held the woman's motorcycle speed record for 30 years)
I don't know what the simulator is called but it's like a full size video game but with real ammo. Like a good video game, the action progresses depending on your actions.

Before the last simulation the operator told the lady this time she will need a couple extra magazines.
I loaned her the CT equipped SR9C and a couple extra mags.

I wish I had a video of her performance using that gun/laser. It was a joy to watch her use that gun.
Bad guys came at her from all directions (one at a time) and she was deadly with that CT laser/SR9.

When done she had shot 7 bad guys without being hit herself.

The simulator operator said, to date, no one had gotten through that simulation without being hit at least once.:)

The SR9C and Crimson Trace laser makes a nice setup.

Oh, I have to brag on my best shot with the gun.
Across the room a BG was moving with a woman hostage in front of him.
I snap shot a fast shot at his head with the SR9C/laser.

No one was more suprised than me when the bullet hit the BG right between the eyes.:supergrin:

CBennett
08-26-2012, 16:53
I'm a big laser fan. I have about a dozen Crimson Trace on handguns, including a LCP. (Got a home range for low light/dark practice).

Interesting SR9/CT laser tale.
Some months back a lady I taught to shoot wanted us to shoot on one of those live fire simulators.
(the lady herself is interesting, being a retired movie stunt woman and she held the woman's motorcycle speed record for 30 years)
I don't know what the simulator is called but it's like a full size video game but with real ammo. Like a good video game, the action progresses depending on your actions.

Before the last simulation the operator told the lady this time she will need a couple extra magazines.
I loaned her the CT equipped SR9C and a couple extra mags.

I wish I had a video of her performance using that gun/laser. It was a joy to watch her use that gun.
Bad guys came at her from all directions (one at a time) and she was deadly with that CT laser/SR9.

When done she had shot 7 bad guys without being hit herself.

The simulator operator said, to date, no one had gotten through that simulation without being hit at least once.:)

The SR9C and Crimson Trace laser makes a nice setup.

Oh, I have to brag on my best shot with the gun.
Across the room a BG was moving with a woman hostage in front of him.
I snap shot a fast shot at his head with the SR9C/laser.

No one was more suprised than me when the bullet hit the BG right between the eyes.:supergrin:

its a naturally accurate gun..we took one of those full size police type targets of a bad guy with a gun..set it at 12-15(probably 12 im guessing) yards or so and after knocking out the center mass so you could have about a baseball size hole there so it just was not worth shooting at anymore lol... We started having fun calling shots...the bad guy was holding a revolver in his hand I said im gonna put one down the barrel of his gun...first shot hit the cylinder hole left of the barrel and 2nd shot hit the barrel square on(meaning the guy looked like he was aiming a revolver straight at you). used the rest of the mag of 10 also and only 1 of the shots out of 10 was not in the gun frame or cylinder..that hit the BG in his right eye lol.

then to end it up in the top left corner of the target there is a letter Q or O I think a Q for Qualification targets. Its about the size of a dime.. We had 6 rounds left so I said the Q symbol hit it with the 4th shot straight through the middle and the rest of the rounds were less than a quarters width away from it on any side.

40frank
08-27-2012, 08:00
its a naturally accurate gun..we took one of those full size police type targets of a bad guy with a gun..set it at 12-15(probably 12 im guessing) yards or so and after knocking out the center mass so you could have about a baseball size hole there so it just was not worth shooting at anymore lol... We started having fun calling shots...the bad guy was holding a revolver in his hand I said im gonna put one down the barrel of his gun...first shot hit the cylinder hole left of the barrel and 2nd shot hit the barrel square on(meaning the guy looked like he was aiming a revolver straight at you). used the rest of the mag of 10 also and only 1 of the shots out of 10 was not in the gun frame or cylinder..that hit the BG in his right eye lol.

then to end it up in the top left corner of the target there is a letter Q or O I think a Q for Qualification targets. Its about the size of a dime.. We had 6 rounds left so I said the Q symbol hit it with the 4th shot straight through the middle and the rest of the rounds were less than a quarters width away from it on any side.

One of the first things I noticed about the SR9, and now my new SR9c, is how natural they point and how accurate they are. In fact, I was able to shoot it just as good if better than my Glocks my first time out with the SR9. It is shocking how accurate and shootable these things are. I can't believe these things are only $399.

bac1023
08-27-2012, 08:04
After I found out the problems with the FN FNS-9 http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439164
I decided to buy a SR9C to go with my full size SR9. I own several Glocks in various sizes and calibers, but I can't help to be totally impressed by Ruger's striker fired handguns. I know they had some minor bugs, but they are all worked out. These "bugs" never really had anything to do with reliability, but dealt with the trigger and customer feedback concerning the magazine release. I will share what I have learned in case someone is considering.

Unofficially the newest ones out on the Market are called third generation. When the first ones came out, they found that in some cases if the handgun was dropped, they had the possibility of discharging. Ruger recalled them and added a Glock-like trigger safety. Complaints started coming in that the new trigger was heavy and gritty. Furthermore, people didn't like the magazine release, stating it was too hard to release a magazine. Ruger refined the trigger and the magazine release when the SR9c was released. They added these changes to the new SR9s.

The bad news is the older SR9s cannot be retro-fitted with the new set up. The good news is the newest ones with the updates are some of the finest striker fired handguns on the market. You can tell if the full size SR9s have these updates by looking at the magazine release button. If it is completely round, it does not have the latest updates. It will be reliable, but the trigger will not be as good. If the magazine release button is horseshoe shaped it has all the latest and greatest. If I can figure out how to post more pictures, I will add them to this thread. (I've reached my limit, and I'm not sure how to make room.)
There was not any changes to the SR9c. The changes were incorporated during production.

I hope this helps someone considering the Ruger SR9/SR9c. I am not trying to sell anyone on them, just stating my opinion that they are very underrated an excellent handguns. Frank.

Thanks for the info.

Congrats on the new Ruger.