Hiking with my Glock 21 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with my Glock 21

FyreCalG17
08-26-2012, 20:07
I'll be bow hunting in Colorado soon and need a good way to carry my Glock 21 w/tactical light. From what I've read, Colorado requires my pistol to be visible.
I'll be hiking the entire way, and need something light and secure.

Hip holster? Tactical vest?
Suggestions?

ghostrider88
08-26-2012, 20:15
Safariland makes a drop leg for guns with tac-lights

9mm +p+
08-26-2012, 21:12
I'd go with a guide chest rig, several companies make them. Easy to get to, out in the open and out of the way.

4Rules
08-26-2012, 21:56
Raven Concealment Phantom Holster Test - YouTube

Opie 1 Kenopie
08-26-2012, 22:52
I'd go with a guide chest rig, several companies make them. Easy to get to, out in the open and out of the way.

And much cheaper than the Safariland drop leg holsters. Look at Wilderness Products SafePacker. I use it for backpacking. Not sure if it's what you're looking for as far as open carry, but it's a great way to operate in the high country with a gun.

AWoods
08-26-2012, 23:03
Um, if the op is bow hunting, I think he wants to keep stuff off his chest. Drop leg, or belt holster seems like a good idea. I'd suggest a belt holster as drop leg is mainly done to clear equipment and armor, and it has the disadvantage of being a bit slower to reach, more expensive (From what I have seen), and having it swinging back and forth on your leg while you walk or run is not idea.

Since it's open carry, i don't think you have to spend a whole lot to get something decent and comfortable. How about a fobus holster? http://www.fobusholster.com/products/GLOCK_20_21_37_38_BELT_HOLSTER-102-16.html

They are cheap, and I have ran all over with mine, and the gun didn't come up out of the holster.

FyreCalG17
08-28-2012, 18:34

I've thought about the chest rigs but can't seem to find anything except those heavy looking tactical vests with the cross draw attachments. Any specific vests you're talking about?

FyreCalG17
08-28-2012, 18:38
Um, if the op is bow hunting, I think he wants to keep stuff off his chest. Drop leg, or belt holster seems like a good idea. I'd suggest a belt holster as drop leg is mainly done to clear equipment and armor, and it has the disadvantage of being a bit slower to reach, more expensive (From what I have seen), and having it swinging back and forth on your leg while you walk or run is not idea.

Since it's open carry, i don't think you have to spend a whole lot to get something decent and comfortable. How about a fobus holster? http://www.fobusholster.com/products/GLOCK_20_21_37_38_BELT_HOLSTER-102-16.html

They are cheap, and I have ran all over with mine, and the gun didn't come up out of the holster.
I'm more concerned about my gun being secure while hiking than really when drawing my bow. But I can see where there might be some interference.
Question..... I've never worn a Fobus paddle style before, so would the paddle dig into my leg while hiking?

9mm +p+
08-28-2012, 19:05
I've thought about the chest rigs but can't seem to find anything except those heavy looking tactical vests with the cross draw attachments. Any specific vests you're talking about?

There used to be one made by Uncle Mikes, I have one for my 44's. I think they are out of production now though, there's a company in Alaska that makes them in nylon and leather but I cannot remember their name. A military tanker type rig would work the same way. Sorry I can't be more specific.

up1911fan
08-28-2012, 19:24
I'd go with a Safariland ALS.

G36's Rule
08-28-2012, 19:34
Bow hunting and chest rig don't go together. Tack vest would be out as well. I would get a Blackhawk Serpa.

FyreCalG17
08-29-2012, 10:43
Raven Concealment Phantom
The Raven looks like a pretty secure holster. Looks like it can be worn outside the waistband also, correct?

FyreCalG17
08-29-2012, 10:45
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll start exploring my options. I still have a few weeks left to make my decision.

Thanks

up1911fan
08-29-2012, 13:18
If it's only a "few" week's, forget the Raven.

davsco
08-29-2012, 13:37
blackhawk serpa - locks it in securely but with the light press of a button, your draw is totally friction-free. believe they do make some models to accommodate lights, but not sure if that includes the g20/21 series as i know i have been looking for a similar holster for my g20 with a viridian light/laser combo (x5L).

up1911fan
08-29-2012, 19:53
Serpa's are ****. There's a reason most of the top trainers/Instructors don't allow them in class's. If you want retention the ALS is a MUCH better option. The Blade-Tech WRS would be a better choice as well.

4Rules
08-29-2012, 22:26
The Raven looks like a pretty secure holster. Looks like it can be worn outside the waistband also, correct?
Yes.

The Raven Concealment Systems Phantom Kydex Holster - YouTube

NMGlock79
08-29-2012, 23:24
Serpa's are ****. There's a reason most of the top trainers/Instructors don't allow them in class's. If you want retention the ALS is a MUCH better option. The Blade-Tech WRS would be a better choice as well.

Yeah SERPAs suck in general, but for this type of thing, I think it would be perfect.

hercules
01-22-2013, 12:20
I don't know how some of the above option will work with a decent backpack (40-60L) with a fairly wide hip belt. Still doing R&D trying to find a solution for a G27.