1907 Savage .32- Restoration? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1907 Savage .32- Restoration?

jame
08-26-2012, 21:21
I have this posted on another forum, there's more traffic here.

I have in my possession a Savage 1907 32 ACP from my brother in law. His parent's are aging fast and he might want me to sell his Dad's guns off.

This little pistol has really piqued my interest. It's just a little rough, but mechanically sound, with no rust or pitting. I'm guessing it's around 70% or so.

If I were to buy this gun for a fair price, I think it might be a cool piece to have restored.

Waddya all think, and who could I find to do it?

countrygun
08-26-2012, 21:56
I had one, I guess my ex still does. I wouldn't do a thing to one an the grounds that,

no re finishing will ever increase the value and 99% of the time will lowered drastically.

The Savage would be particularly hard to do right and be expensive. Take a look at the rear around the hammer and think about polishing all those nooks and crannies.

It wouldn't improve the function.

PzGren
08-26-2012, 22:09
The Savage 1907 is a well made pistol and I agree to leave it in the original condition since it will be difficulat to restore it close to the original condition.

I had one in .380 in about 90% condition many, many years ago that was a nice little shooter.

vafish
08-27-2012, 05:24
"restoring" a gun usually drops the collector value in half.

Leave it as is.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Highspeedlane
08-27-2012, 06:26
Leave as is. Any collector value is diminished drastically by refinishing.

bac1023
08-27-2012, 08:05
"restoring" a gun usually drops the collector value in half.

Leave it as is.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Very true

MrMurphy
08-27-2012, 12:58
Agreed.

Only refinished 'collectible' gun I've seen where it more or less increased the value was a Remington 51 (the last pistol Remington made for decades till recently) whose finish was basically ruined.

Guy was the original owner-second generation (it was his dad's carry gun back in the day, and his dad gave it to him to carry), he'd owned it by that point for 40 years, and he stripped it and parkerized it. Gun shot well, and he apparently, still carries it to this day.

Jim Watson
08-27-2012, 16:59
What do you want it FOR?

It is going to be a long time before a 70% example of a fairly common gun gets to be a "valuable collector's item."

A true restoration to factory appearance would cost more than the gun will ever be worth.

A decent reblue would make it look nice and cost you the price of the refinish without any gain in the resale value.

So if you want to buy it cheap from the inlaws and flip it, leave it alone.
If you want it as an example of the type, leave it alone.
If you want something cute to show and tell, have it reblued by a reputable shop for maybe $200, realizing that you will not be able to recover the cost.

jame
08-27-2012, 20:31
What do you want it FOR?

It is going to be a long time before a 70% example of a fairly common gun gets to be a "valuable collector's item."

A true restoration to factory appearance would cost more than the gun will ever be worth.

A decent reblue would make it look nice and cost you the price of the refinish without any gain in the resale value.

So if you want to buy it cheap from the inlaws and flip it, leave it alone.
If you want it as an example of the type, leave it alone.
If you want something cute to show and tell, have it reblued by a reputable shop for maybe $200, realizing that you will not be able to recover the cost.

There's some good advice right there.

I guess I'll probably pass on the full blown restoration, but I still might consider a reblue just for a showoff piece.

It really isn't an investment for me anyway, and even if it does lose 50% of it's $250 value, it's no skin off me. I also doubt if the Smithsonian will be out much, eitherů.

Who would I consider for a decent job on this, if I'd decide to go ahead?

PzGren
08-28-2012, 08:38
I have seen a few guns where the value has been increased with a restauration. There is, however, a significant difference in between a restauration and a refinish.

I have not done restaurations but just many refinishes. One example is on a Ruger Service Six that I bought as a project gun. It was mechanically sound, had no severe pitting but was full of light rust and had little finish left.

It is not going to be a collector's item like my 1942 Black Widfow P.08 or 1942 byf P.38 and so I reblued the gun for practical purposes.

It has increased its utlity value dramatically for me with just a little work and the new finish lasts better than what the factory applied in a quick dip.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/PB240573.jpg

silversport
08-29-2012, 04:13
as is...lousy pic but you get the idea...now if I could only locate a front sight...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/silversport1/DSC00337.jpg

Bill

1gewehr
08-29-2012, 11:39
That's a pretty good original finish! Leave it alone! If it has some freckling that isn't visible in the photo, use some Kroil and a ScotchBrite pad to lightly scrub the area.

These folks can provide a front sight. Don't be in a hurry.
http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

The front sight is attached with a pin driven into a hole in the front sight blade from inside the slide. You will probably just silver-solder a new one in place. I've seen several repaired that way.

Be very careful if you remove the grips. They just snap into place and will crack if you aren't very careful. New grips are expensive and don't look right.

silversport
08-30-2012, 04:23
:thumbsup: ...thanks for the link and info...
Bill