Selling my glock face to face, questions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Selling my glock face to face, questions.

DairyLandShooter
08-26-2012, 22:36
I live in WI, I want to sell my gun to a friend. I want it to be legal and legit. What is the best way to go about this.

1rocket69
08-26-2012, 22:47
Go to a local gun store, pay them the transfer fee and they take care of the paperwork for you.

AKRover
08-26-2012, 23:29
I don't know where you live but here sale of firearms by private individuals is perfectly legal without having to do any paperwork. I always make sure to do a signed bill of sale if I have to sell a gun so if the gun is ever used in a crime and they follow the paper trail that leads to me I have something to show that I sold it and to who. Even did that when I sold my best friend a couple guns. I know he isn't going to commit a crime with them but it's a CYA thing.

IMO, if private sale is legal in your state going through a dealer is a waste of money.

WarEagle 1
08-27-2012, 00:44
I don't know where you live but here sale of firearms by private individuals is perfectly legal without having to do any paperwork. I always make sure to do a signed bill of sale if I have to sell a gun so if the gun is ever used in a crime and they follow the paper trail that leads to me I have something to show that I sold it and to who. Even did that when I sold my best friend a couple guns. I know he isn't going to commit a crime with them but it's a CYA thing.

IMO, if private sale is legal in your state going through a dealer is a waste of money.

:agree: This

OUSooner
08-27-2012, 04:54
Go meet guy, Give guy gun, guy gives you money, have a nice day.

WinterWizard
08-27-2012, 05:29
I also live in WI. Private sales here require no background check or bill of sale. That being said, I won't sell a gun without checking the person's ID to verify that they are of legal age (if they seem young) and/or without a bill of sale with a waiver section that proclaims the buyer to not be guilty of any crimes or conditions that would exclude them from legally owning a firearm. It's also good to have a paper bill of sale for your records in case the gun is used in a crime down the road and you get the police at your door, asking questions. Not that you would be in any trouble, but it's good to be able to tell them, "I sold the gun to so-and-so on this date," etc... You should have provide one for them, if they want, and you keep the copy signed by both parties (buyer and seller).

Also, if you have the person's full name and birthday, you can also check their court records online for free at Wisconsin.gov to see if they have a criminal record in this state. They could be from another state and have a record outside of WI, but at least you can see if they are all clear in WI. Outside of that, there is not much more you can do short of getting a background check at a FFL, which is $18, I believe, maybe more if you are not actually buying a gun from them. Not sure if the police will do a background check for you unless you have that person present, because obviously the police aren't just going to divulge individuals' criminal records to anyone who asks.

About the bill of sale. Just google "firearm bill of sale" and you should find something to print off the Interwebs.

Not that any of this matters, since you are selling to a friend, but you may need it down the road.

I've sold 2 handguns in the past year: 1 to a military vet with no WI criminal court record and 1 to an older guy with a CCW license and also no criminal court record. Did my due diligence, and that's all I can do.

The main method in which criminals obtain guns is through private sales and straw purchases. It's our duty as responsible gun owners to do everything in our power to prevent the sale of firearms to people who are not legally allowed to own them. I live by the motto, "If there is any doubt, there is no doubt."

Hognutz
08-27-2012, 08:21
Give your friend the gun and take the money. Done deal. You have no responsibilty after it is sold. That's the way it should be..

tonyparson
08-27-2012, 12:56
Go meet guy, Give guy gun, guy gives you money, have a nice day.

This /\/\/\

tonyparson
08-27-2012, 13:01
The main method in which criminals obtain guns is through private sales and straw purchases. It's our duty as responsible gun owners to do everything in our power to prevent the sale of firearms to people who are not legally allowed to own them. I live by the motto, "If there is any doubt, there is no doubt."

The main method in which criminals obtain guns is by stealing them or they buy stolen guns off the street.

cajun_chooter
08-27-2012, 14:26
i agree with the above stating... make a bill of sale, include
serial number of the gun... name, address & drivers license number of buyer & seller....both partys keep a signed copy..
CYA --- :embarassed:

TattooedGlock
08-27-2012, 15:43
serial number of the gun... name, address & drivers license number of buyer & seller....both partys keep a signed copy..

This. Nothing wrong with FTF sales. Done tons of them. It's good to have a bill of sale though. Put each of your important info on it and ask to see a license. That way, just in case he doesn't something bad with it soon after buying it from you, it's not traced directly back to you and you have no proof you sold it.

Z71bill
08-27-2012, 16:01
I have never sold a gun - but purchased a few FTF at a gun show.

I looked at gun - ask how much he wanted - bla bla bla - will you take $XX? No but I will take $XY - OK - here is the cash - here is the gun.

Have a nice day --

If the guy would have said - I need to see your drivers licence - so I can put your name, address, DL number on the bill of sale that we will both sign -

Not 100% sure - but think I would have said no thanks.

Glad they didn't ask -

Does anyone have a real life situation where NOT having a paper trail when one is not required ended up hurting either party (buyer or seller)?

If there are numerous & real issues where paperwork prevented a major problem I will consider it - but can't see generating paper work / paper trail unless there is a clear benefit.

I don't buy into the JIC you need it -

I do know of two situations where a person was contacted about a gun they owned - but had sold it - they just told the officer - I sold that gun a couple years ago - I have no idea where / who has it..

That was the end of it.

If you sell a gun to a felon - who uses it in a mass murder and you can prove you sold it because you have a signed bill of sale - does it hurt or help you? :dunno:

1rocket69
08-27-2012, 18:23
If you sell a gun to a felon - who uses it in a mass murder and you can prove you sold it because you have a signed bill of sale - does it hurt or help you? :dunno:

Agree ^^

True you don't NEED to go to a dealer, but guns last forever, what if the gun changes hands again?? Yea not needed but do you really want to save a bill of sale for years? Just in case.

Most dealers only charge 20-25 bucks transfer fee and they assume the responsibilty of the papertrail etc....your done with it forever worry free.

AWGD8
08-27-2012, 20:37
I live in WI, I want to sell my gun to a friend. I want it to be legal and legit. What is the best way to go about this.

If your friend lives in WI too with WI drivers licens or CCW card, all you need to do is make a bill of sale with gun info and serial. Both sign each copy and keep it for 7 years or 10 yrs if I am not mistaken?

If friend lives out of state, you need to go to local gun shop for transfer to out of state dealer. Your friend will also pay fee to pick it up on his side, which is his local gun dealer or FFL.

AWGD8
08-27-2012, 21:09

FYI, giving drivers license# is like giving away your SSN to a total stranger...

Fed Five Oh
08-28-2012, 05:33
If your friend lives in WI too with WI drivers licens or CCW card, all you need to do is make a bill of sale with gun info and serial. Both sign each copy and keep it for 7 years or 10 yrs if I am not mistaken?You are mistaken. None of that is required.

RUT
08-28-2012, 06:36

Exactly the way I do it.

Z71bill
08-28-2012, 06:36
I think most of us know - in most states - most of the time :upeyes:

The standard is -

You can't sell a gun to someone you have reason to believe is a from outside the state, has a criminal record that makes it illegal to own a firearm, under age, insane, addicted to drugs or alcohol.

The key is - reason to believe -

If you know someone is not allowed to own a gun - or have a reason to suspect they can not legally own a gun - then you can't sell them the gun unless you obtain some proof that your suspicion is in fact not true.

So - some guy asks you about a handgun you have for sale -

He looks like he is about 17 years old - you can't legally sell a handgun to a 17 year old - so you are required to either ask for proof of age - or not sell the gun.

I am 54 years old - and look like I am 54 years old - no reasonable person would look at me and think - I bet this guy is not over 21 - so you have no obligation to even ask my age.

The real question in these cases should be -

Yes FOLLOW THE LAW --

But why go above what the law requires?

What are the benefits?

What risk does it reduce?

Bilbo Bagins
08-28-2012, 07:35
Go to a local gun store, pay them the transfer fee and they take care of the paperwork for you.

+1

When it doubt, just do this. I know face to face transfers are legal in certain states, but even if it was legal in my state going thru an FFL and paying the fee is worth it.

CYA

AWGD8
08-28-2012, 15:31
+1

When it doubt, just do this. I know face to face transfers are legal in certain states, but even if it was legal in my state going thru an FFL and paying the fee is worth it.

CYA

The OP is in WI I am in WI. So WI dealer and other FFL private parties charge us $45 or more for transfer. :crying:

So I think it will be wise to just have a bill of sale and keep it in the safe. Id check is preferred such as Drivers license or CCW. Some of my gun buyers were hesitant to put their Dirvers license # in the bill of sale . It is like a SSN#

DairyLandShooter
08-28-2012, 15:36
Thank you all for your information, it has helped me a lot.

Z71bill
08-28-2012, 16:03
I am still confused (nothing new).

I want to sell a gun I purchased new from Joe Blow Gun Depot (a FFL dealer).

So I go to a local FFL and they do a transfer.

5 years later the gun has been sold a few more times - and ends up being used in a major crime - the police recover the gun.

They decide to try and find out who purchased the gun -

They go to the manufacturer (say S&W) with the serial number and gun type - S&W tells them they sold the gun to Joe Blow Gun Depot - they go talk with Joe - he pulls the paperwork and

:wow::wow: It has my name on it.

So the police come to me - and I tell them

I sold the gun 5 years ago --

Does it really matter - if I tell them

I sold it to a guy at a gun show - he paid me cash - I do not know who he is - where he is - sorry - have a nice day.

Or

If I say - I did a transfer through Jim & Sam's Gun and Pawn go talk with them.

Either way - you will still be the one contacted (if gun was purchased new)

Either way you have no liability - no responsibility - you have committed no crime.

What is it we are trying to prevent by paying a FFL holder to do a transfer?