Springfield Range Officer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Range Officer

ricklee4570
08-27-2012, 09:43
I have an opportunity to pick one up at a decent price. I currently have a Colt Rail Gun and love it. However, with the rail it is not my idea of a good carry gun.

My only concern with the R.O. is the adjustable rear sight. To those familiar with this platform, is the rear sight rugged enough to hold zero as a CCW gun?

Glock_en_speil
08-27-2012, 10:30
I own a Range Officer and it's a great 1911 for the money. It's not a carry gun for me so I can't comment on the rear sight holding zero however I can tell you that John Harrison produces a fixed rear sight that will work. His webstore is currently down right now as I'm posting this but that's the place to pick up the sight. It's designed to fit a Bomar cut which is what the R/O has.

You may also want to upgrade the front sight as well since it's just a plain black post. At the very least you could simply drill out a dimple and place a drop of white automotive paint in there which is what I'm planning on doing to mine. I've seen photos of R/O's with fiber optic and tritium front sights installed so I know they are available.

simotek
08-27-2012, 11:00
I also have a Range Officer. It's a great gun but in stock form it's not a good carry option. I'd want to replace the rear sight with a fixed sight. The adjustable sight is bulky and has sharp edges that will snag on everything.

It's also easy to cut your fingers on the rear sight... don't ask me how. :|

bac1023
08-27-2012, 22:03
The Range Officer is one of the best 1911s under a grand.

GOOFA
08-28-2012, 11:06
The Range Officer is one of the best 1911s under a grand.
I agree, mine is superb.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6043/6235798685_8531a8541c_z.jpg

Rinspeed
08-28-2012, 12:18
Very nice pic Greg. :thumbsup:

fusegsp
08-30-2012, 17:24
I own a Range Officer and it's a great 1911 for the money. It's not a carry gun for me so I can't comment on the rear sight holding zero however I can tell you that John Harrison produces a fixed rear sight that will work. His webstore is currently down right now as I'm posting this but that's the place to pick up the sight. It's designed to fit a Bomar cut which is what the R/O has.

You may also want to upgrade the front sight as well since it's just a plain black post. At the very least you could simply drill out a dimple and place a drop of white automotive paint in there which is what I'm planning on doing to mine. I've seen photos of R/O's with fiber optic and tritium front sights installed so I know they are available.I'm new to 1911's but I was under the impression that the RO had an LPA cut. I have been looking around for aftermarket fixed sights and it's pretty slim pickings. Can anyone tell me why SA would use this cut instead of something more common? There's probably a reason. I'm just missing it.

Rinspeed
08-30-2012, 19:25
I have been looking around for aftermarket fixed sights and it's pretty slim pickings. Can anyone tell me why SA would use this cut instead of something more common?

That's the $100k question, why the hell SA wouldn't just throw a fixed sight on the RO as an option. Don't wish too hard though as it might turn into a $900 pistol. I assume you've seen the Harrison sight, it comes very well recommended.

fusegsp
08-30-2012, 20:16
That's the $100k question, why the hell SA wouldn't just throw a fixed sight on the RO as an option. Don't wish too hard though as it might turn into a $900 pistol. I assume you've seen the Harrison sight, it comes very well recommended.Exactly. I've thought about a few tweaks to the RO, but that puts you into TRP territory pretty quick. I guess I'll just have to buy another 1911 to go with the RO. I'm learning the devious tricks you 1911 guys use to justify another one.:rofl:

Glock_en_speil
08-30-2012, 21:14
I'm new to 1911's but I was under the impression that the RO had an LPA cut.
I stand corrected. It's a Bomar style sight with an LPA cut. John Harrison's webstore seems to be back online now. Here's the link I wanted to post:

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/c/64/rear-sights-for-lpa-cut-springfield-adj-non-tritium-models

okie
08-31-2012, 07:46
I have the RO also, but I put XS big dot sights on straight away:thumbsup:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/okie1911/001.jpg

Disregarded9-side
08-31-2012, 23:50
I also considered the RO because I felt the options and price were right, then I discovered the Loaded is a better option for carry/social purposes when you consider all the options it has. I think these also make it a better practical gun. Comes with 3-dots (on generation-correct cuts). I'm adding a GI recoil spring set up and a mag-well and calling it done--everything else on the gun shoots perfectly (except when it has to be repaired by SA...)

I got my Springfield Loaded for $801 at a LGS, I know they can get more. PM me if you want their info.

quantico
09-01-2012, 00:15
I would really consider a 4.25 inch 1911 for a carry pistol. They just work out better with an IWB holster that has a good amount of cant. I like my ed brown exec carry as the corner cut on the mainspring housing keep my ribs happy. You sure can carry a 5 inch 1911. I have done it a bunch. I just prefer a shorter carry pistol after several decades of lugging around 1911's

porschedog
09-03-2012, 15:41
I bought a RO this week and after 2 trips to the range, I am grinning so hard it hurts.

ca survivor
09-04-2012, 14:58
my RO makes me look good at the range, I took a file to the rear sights and rounded the rear blade a bit.

GEN3
09-04-2012, 23:08
I bought a RO this week and after 2 trips to the range, I am grinning so hard it hurts.

I don't personally own a 1911 yet but this is the one calling my name. I picked one up when they first came out and liked it a lot. I have not seen one since until last weekend when I went to my LGS and they had two in the case. Almost makes me want to put my AR project on hold to free up some cash.

ptb351
09-06-2012, 19:41
my RO makes me look good at the range, I took a file to the rear sights and rounded the rear blade a bit.

I bought a Springfield Loaded a month ago. It makes me look way better than I am for sure. The LGS had it and the RO for the same price(849) so I thought the Loaded was a better deal....love it. It won't be my last 1911, that's for sure.

Disregarded9-side
09-06-2012, 22:01
^Really liking my Loaded. I'd look into both when considering the RO...

My thing was that I knew I'd be changing the rear sight anyway...