Kahr PM40/CM40 ?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kahr PM40/CM40 ??

Bilbo Bagins
08-27-2012, 13:02
I was considering another 9mm pocket gun, until I noticed a CM40 selling for about the same price as the CM9. I already have a Kel Tec Pf9, and I will always have a 9mm pocket gun in my stable, but I'm curious about the CM40. Anyone have one. Seems like it would be a good "Walk in the Woods" hiking gun.

Narkcop
08-27-2012, 18:29
I have a PM40 and it is very reliable. I don't carry it as much as I should, I bought it to replace my LCP but HOT summer weather and running shorts hasn't allowed it.

Caver 60
08-27-2012, 22:38
Your thread title mentioned the PM40.

My PM40 is several years old. Had a couple of issues, one of which I hope they have corrected by now. The other one is probably because I have a weird hand or something, because I've only heard a few other people complain about it.

First issue (that they hopefully have corrected by now) was broken magazine followers. That thing would pound the you know what out of magazine followers and break them. Kahr gave me a bunch of 'stuff' about a defective run of followers, and sent me a hand full of new followers free to 'fix' the problem with my 10 magazines.

I installed a new follower, fired one magazine of ammo, and there was a big fresh gouge on the front of the new (supposedly correct) follower.

So I took a close look at the pistol and found the barrel feed ramp extended too far into the mag well. So when the barrel came back as the magazine emptied it would smack the follower, HARD.

I preformed the Kahr version of the old P3AT 'rampectomy' and cured the problem.

The other problem is the PM40 pounds the stuffing out of the bottom of my trigger finger. As I said, I've rarely heard anyone else complain about this problem. The forty is sort of a snappy recoiling cartridge. Now I don't mind the recoil at all. In fact as far as I'm concerned the recoil isn't bad at all.

I'm a magnum handgun shooter, so I'm well used to recoil. But that pistol does bad things to the bottom of my trigger finger. If I'm going to shoot more than a few magazines of ammo at a time, I have to either put a band aid, pad side down, on my trigger finger or wear a glove to shoot with.

I'd sure like it if the trigger guard was opened up a little bit on the PM40. I don't have that problem with either my PM9 or MK9.

SDGlock23
08-28-2012, 19:15
I've never owned the CM40 but I have owned the PM40. Nice gun, shoots very well and I wouldn't hesitate to get one myself. I prefer the CM/CW models because they're cheaper yet maintain great quality and they have conventionally rifled barrels unlike the P/PM series Kahrs.

Recoil isn't bad, it's more than the 9mm versions (which I've also owned), but nothing drastic. The CM/PM series make for great pocket pistols.

FLglockdude
08-29-2012, 10:48
Im not a fan of the recoil impulse of .40 in a fullsize gun, it would downright suck in a gun that small.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Mattkcc
08-29-2012, 18:45
Do yourself a favor and get the 9mm, the only problem my CM9 has had is the open-ended recoil spring. The little 9mm is pushing the limit of how small you can make a 9mm and then you want to make a 40. When my department switched to 40 I thought great more power with the trade off off fewer rounds and more recoil. However, in actual shootings it didn't prove any better then the 9mm. With the great ammo available for the 9mm there is just no reason to buy a tiny 40. Trust me when shoot a mag. of SD 9mm ammo in the CM9 it's as powerful as you want to go in tiny pistol. Sure you can probably control a CM40 with light target loads but what about SD loads.

ithaca_deerslayer
08-29-2012, 20:50
Every once in a while I draw and shoot my carry guns in some sort of imagined life and death scenario.

Just did that this past weekend with my PM9. Had kinda a bad quick draw and as a result didn't have much to hang on to with the grip, but I fired and kept on target anyway.

Wonder how it would have gone with a PM40.

Sure, I could use the longer mag's grip extension, but that to some extent defeats the small gun's purpose :)