New AR upper is too tight for the rear pin [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New AR upper is too tight for the rear pin

emt1581
08-27-2012, 15:03
My Rguns upper finally came in the mail today. By all accounts it is a beautiful piece of machinery.

When I tried attaching it to my lower the front was a little snug but went right into place. However, the rear is just too tight to fit.

I remember being told this is a somewhat common issue.

I'm just curious about two things...

1) What do I want to take material off of...the lower receiver (channel) or the upper receiver (male end that fits into channel)?

and

2) What tool is best for the job? I've got everything from paper to files to a dremmel....

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

smokin762
08-27-2012, 15:40
Who is the Lower made by?

My Spikes dedicated .22lr Upper fits very tight in the rear take down pin area of my RRA Lower. It still works and doesn't create any problems outside of it being a pain to open up.

vafish
08-27-2012, 15:49
First try the upper on another lower.

Remove metal from the upper.

1. since it is from rguns it is most likely the out of spec part.

2. the lower is the firearm and harder to replace.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

GAFinch
08-27-2012, 18:24
Have you inspected the rest of the upper?

emt1581
08-27-2012, 19:55
Thanks for the replies.

So what are the best tools to use to shave some of the metal away.

As far as Rguns, I've had excellent experience with their quality and was unable to find any complaints on their quality.

Thanks

-Emt1581

zhix
08-27-2012, 20:07
RGuns has been known to have some dissatisfied customers..

I have an RRA lower that fits very tight to some uppers, after letting oil soak in it eventually loosened up some; at first it was nearly impossible to get the pins in and out.

If that doesn't work I would first try to remove as little material as needed, maybe sandpaper wrapped around a dowel rod.

emt1581
08-27-2012, 20:10
RGuns has been known to have some dissatisfied customers..

I have an RRA lower that fits very tight to some uppers, after letting oil soak in it eventually loosened up some; at first it was nearly impossible to get the pins in and out.

If that doesn't work I would first try to remove as little material as needed, maybe sandpaper wrapped around a dowel rod.

As far as the dissatisfied customers, definitely not sticking up for Rguns or trying to get into an argument, but were they dissatisfied due to quality or service? I've seen plenty of the latter.

Thanks for the suggestion with the sandpaper, I'll give it a try.

-Emt1581

emt1581
08-28-2012, 06:05
Well I fixed the problem. No sanding was even needed.

...I used a different lower. :supergrin:

See I built up 2 of the multiple stripped lowers I have. So all I had to do was transfer the stock and drop in the upper.

I will say this upper is better machined and looks better cosmetically than my Del-Ton AND Bushmaster! No marring/marks, extra steel, etc.

If it shoots as good as it looks I think I'm in for a real treat! :)

-Emt1581

faawrenchbndr
08-28-2012, 14:21
Glad you got it figured out..........