Plate racks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plate racks

Scooter921
08-27-2012, 21:00
Does anyone have any idea were i can get a plate rack like used in the matches, looked at action target but it doesnt look the same. Any info would be great need one so we can set it up and practice,

THANKS AGAIN

PettyOfficer
08-27-2012, 21:43
I think the annual Vol 1 mentions the target vendors.

cookselk
08-28-2012, 07:16
Does anyone have any idea were i can get a plate rack like used in the matches, looked at action target but it doesnt look the same. Any info would be great need one so we can set it up and practice,

THANKS AGAIN

http://mgmtargets.com/tstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=0b2566a11c47228c39f164536c337551

Scroll down to "targets" on USPSA target and prop supplier list:
http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-about-gear.php

bryandover
08-28-2012, 07:28
If anyones close to Kirksville MO I have a friend with 3 new never used MGM plate racks (the $1766 one) for $1200 each. A great deal.

cookselk
08-29-2012, 08:10
I've seen plate racks with 14" and 20" spacing. I'm guessing that in Hallsville since it is the home of the Bianchi matches it's 20" but what is the predominate spacing for other GSSF matches? How about in my neck of the woods, Grand Island, St. Paul, Sioux Falls, Greeley, Milwaukee?

Do you think the spacing difference affects times? If so by how much?

unclebob
08-29-2012, 08:21
I've seen plate racks with 14" and 20" spacing. I'm guessing that in Hallsville since it is the home of the Bianchi matches it's 20" but what is the predominate spacing for other GSSF matches? How about in my neck of the woods, Grand Island, St. Paul, Sioux Falls, Greeley, Milwaukee?

Do you think the spacing difference affects times? If so by how much?

Glock plate racks have a 12 spacing.
At least for me Im faster with the 12 spacing.

cookselk
08-29-2012, 16:13
Glock plate racks have a 12 spacing.
At least for me Im faster with the 12 spacing.

Ooops, my bad, I mean plates on 14" and 20" centers. I think we're talking the same thing. 12" between two 8" plates would put them on 20" centers.

unclebob
08-29-2012, 17:10
Ooops, my bad, I mean plates on 14" and 20" centers. I think we're talking the same thing. 12" between two 8" plates would put them on 20" centers.

8" plates on 12" centers.

So there is 4” between plates. They make them that way so they would fit in the bed of the truck. They did that so they do not have to haul the trailer to some matches.

atyszka
08-31-2012, 20:37
Are you looking for an actual rack for an event or an economical 8" plate set up for practice?

gearjammer921
09-02-2012, 09:47
where looking for either or for practice

atyszka
09-02-2012, 12:19
Good economical solution for practice is 6 8" steel plates from shootsteel.com on 6 shepherd hooks. Total investment of about $240 and while they don't fall down there's no doubt when/if you hit them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

mike g35
09-02-2012, 17:39
I use a set of six 8 inch knock overs I got from Quality Targets. Add a sawhorse and you're good to go. A 6 plate set costs less than $95 including shipping. Or you could just spend a little and join a gun club that has a plate rack. Just my two cents. :)

Lawman223
09-03-2012, 08:12
You're going to find that plate racks at GSSF have more to do with what the club has than any specific spacing listed in the rule book. I've been to GSSF matches where different bays have different spacing. Plate racks are expensive and GSSF doesn't buy them. They are at the mercy of the host club on that.

My club runs MGM racks, the one down the road a mixture of Action Target and R&R targets. I've seen home made racks and even 6" plates (that really sucks with MajorSub). Get a rack that will hold up and practice (MGM Targets is the best, period). The spacing is not that big of a deal.

If you're really concerned about spacing Secure Firearms Product makes a practice rack. Basically a bar with 6 plates on it that are moveable but don't fall down. Kind of hard to describe but it's a pretty cool set up. Lets you change spacing and still break it down to transport too and from the range. The plates don't fall though. Cool for practice but wouldn't work for a match.

unclebob
09-03-2012, 08:49
You're going to find that plate racks at GSSF have more to do with what the club has than any specific spacing listed in the rule book. I've been to GSSF matches where different bays have different spacing. Plate racks are expensive and GSSF doesn't buy them. They are at the mercy of the host club on that.

GSSF have plate racks and pepper poppers. They just are not going to drive across the U.S. with them.
The question was what spacing does GSSF have. And those are 12 of center.

SARDG
09-03-2012, 08:55
You're going to find that plate racks at GSSF have more to do with what the club has than any specific spacing listed in the rule book. I've been to GSSF matches where different bays have different spacing...
Likely true in the great northwest - but GSSF brings plate racks (if required) to all the matches that they can drive to (largely in the southeast.)

The OP didn't post his location, so...

Lawman223
09-03-2012, 10:00
GSSF have plate racks and pepper poppers. They just are not going to drive across the U.S. with them.
The question was what spacing does GSSF have. And those are 12 of center.

This is the original question. Could you show me where he referred the the equipment that Glock brings to GSSF matches? I'm well aware GSSF has their own equipment. But the majority of the country is not in GSSF driving distance.

unclebob
09-03-2012, 10:17

This is the original question. Could you show me where he referred the the equipment that Glock brings to GSSF matches? I'm well aware GSSF has their own equipment. But the majority of the country is not in GSSF driving distance.

Can you show me where he is from? He kind of implies what does GSSF use and that is 12 or he can get 14 and 20 spacing. If he wants something in the middle get the 14 spacing.

cookselk
09-03-2012, 10:35
If you're really concerned about spacing Secure Firearms Product makes a practice rack. Basically a bar with 6 plates on it that are moveable but don't fall down. Kind of hard to describe but it's a pretty cool set up. Lets you change spacing and still break it down to transport too and from the range. The plates don't fall though. Cool for practice but wouldn't work for a match.

I built one similar to what you are describing, this is an old picture but you will get the idea. I used 2x4's in the original version and 3 "H" stands to support the plates from U bolts. The latest version uses a 10' 2x2 steel bar cut in 3 which has oak tenons in the middle one. They slide together and I can fit the whole thing into the trunk of my VW Jetta.

I had 3 poppers cut which are cut off just below the circle, I figure I shouldn't see that part of the popper anyway when I'm looking over my sights and its that much lighter. Each of the poppers has a hole cut in the head area and I hang them on the same vertical 2x4's used to support the plate rack.

As for target stands, all I use is lath, 2 6" pieces of 1 1/4" 160 psi PVC and 2 12" spikes with a D-1 target stapled to each set up. With all this I can keep everything I need to set up any of the 3 stages in the trunk of my car and still have room for my shooting bag. I do leave the poppers in the garage until I plan to use them to keep from looking at the sky while I'm driving. Just kidding my car still runs pretty level.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n568/latvian13/DSC00145.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n568/latvian13/DSC00126.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n568/latvian13/DSC00324.jpg

Lawman223
09-03-2012, 11:44
Can you show me where he is from? He kind of implies what does GSSF use and that is 12 or he can get 14 and 20 spacing. If he wants something in the middle get the 14 spacing.

I have no idea where he's from. I also don't get where he implies anything about the specific racks GSSF uses as opposed to racks used at GSSF matches. He may very well mean that, I don't know. But thank you for reminding me why I don't post here often.

G21H30
09-04-2012, 15:33
My son who is a welder built this plate rack for me. The base or center section is 4x4 heavy wall tubing that fastens in the middle with 2- 3/8" bolts and 2- alignment studs. The legs also fasten with 2- 3/8" bolts welded to the end of the 4x4 tube. The reset bars fasten via 5/16" quick pin clips,and the plates via Grade 9 5/16" bolts and nylock nuts. Plates reset with a 35' coated garage door cable.Plates are adjustable via 5/16" carriage bolts that are protected by horizontal angle iron to deflect low bullet strikes. While not light weight the whole rack disassembles into six pieces plus the plates and is easily transportable in my pick up.It has held up for the past eight years with the exception of having to replace the plate bolts and plate adjustment bolts due to shock and bullet splatter. I have also shot the cable in to a few times as well.Plates are 3/8" mild steel and stand up to most handgun rounds used in GSSF matches.Cost for materials was $425 eight years ago.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/PlateRack2.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/PlateRack3.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/PlateRack.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/GSSFPracticeRange.jpg

yobohadi
09-05-2012, 08:36
I made one with some rebar, chain, some bolts, and 6" AR500 plates. I chose 6" because they were cheaper, and after a little trig I calculated the distance they need to be to simulate the 8" plates: ~25 feet. I cut the rebar to length, made 2 "A" frames to make it easy to breakdown and transport. I have a welder so it was easy to do, but you could with a little imagination build the "A" frames out of wood and wrap the chains around the rebar clamping them tight with bolts. I have about $100 in it, pretty much all of that is in the plates.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/8340/20110621221322214.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9712/201107041105175.jpg

My problem is I don't get out to shoot at them that much to really get good at them.

Scooter921
09-14-2012, 21:42
thank you everyone I think we are going with the Custom metal products rack(cmp) it is well built and a little less than mgm

thanks again

Bob F.
09-16-2012, 20:20
Beckley Gun Club bought 2 racks this past spring from Sweetwater Engineering. Chris Edwards delivered 'em when they came up for our GSSF match, saving us quite a bit of freight. Don't think Dan was a website. Pretty sure he's a 1-man business "on the side." His e-mail: sweetwtr@bellsouth.net