Glock 29 SF rapid fire 1600fps [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 29 SF rapid fire 1600fps

G29SFWTF
08-28-2012, 18:18
I'm sure everyone knows the story of the 1986 Miami FBI shootout that led to the adoption and then abandonment of the 10mm due to "sharp" recoil.

I wanted to make a vid demonstrating rapid fire of my G29SF with the hottest loads I know of. The video is kind of a fail in that you can't see the bullet holes. I can say that the shots were all over the target but all on the torso.

I was trying to simulate a worst case scenario where the gun would be shot rapidly at close range.

MINI0042 - YouTube

Glock 29 SF
KKM barrel
Tungsten rod with 23lb Wolff spring
grip is silicon carbide epoxied
ghost rocket trigger connector
7 yards
Underwood 135gr 1600fps JHP

I weigh about 157lbs. I mention that because I think it's a factor in recoil control.

Also this is a compact gun and performance might improve with a full size. And this is the first time I've tried rapid fire of this gun so further training could improve things even more.

Probably preaching to the choir here but my conclusion is that the recoil of full power 10mm is not prohibitive to a duty weapon. If you shoot these or similar loads in your 10 let me know if you agree or disagree.

Then we can forward this thread to the FBI so they can immediately switch back to the 10 and prices on retail ammo will fall for all of us.

It could happen.

Ethereal Killer
08-28-2012, 18:30
Recoil with 180gr + projectiles at full power with a full sized handgun can and is a big factor for a lot of shooters. I know it is for me. I can run a G19 like it's an airsoft, but the G20 required constant training and practice to be even as good as I am with the 19.

Projectile weight has a lot to do with felt recoil. and platform and trigger also make a big difference

G29SFWTF
08-28-2012, 20:02
I'm new to the 10mm and have not shot the 180 grain in full power. I just liked what I have learned so far about the high velocity, damage and low penetration 135gr for a personal defense round, and I assumed that it would have the most felt recoil too so it seemed a good candidate for this type of test.

bfg1971
08-29-2012, 06:40
Felt recoil is pretty subjective, but the recoil impulse is easy to calculate. Simply multiply the weight of the projectile by its muzzle velocity. This is the "power factor" that gun games use to determine major and minor calibers.

135gr @ 1600ft/sec = 216,000 gr-ft/sec recoil impulse

180gr @ 1350 = 243,000

Spring weight, slide mass, grip style will all change the felt recoil but in the same gun the higher the impulse the higher the felt recoil.

Edited to add: Welcome to the board, if you have any questions about the 10mm ask. Most people here like helping others.

Meathead9
08-29-2012, 08:33
How were your hits?

G29SFWTF
08-29-2012, 09:19
How were your hits?

They were very scattered and wide but all on the torso. I didn't realize the bullet holes would not show up from that distance : \

G29SFWTF
08-29-2012, 09:33
Felt recoil is pretty subjective, but the recoil impulse is easy to calculate. Simply multiply the weight of the projectile by its muzzle velocity. This is the "power factor" that gun games use to determine major and minor calibers.

135gr @ 1600ft/sec = 216,000 gr-ft/sec recoil impulse

180gr @ 1350 = 243,000

Spring weight, slide mass, grip style will all change the felt recoil but in the same gun the higher the impulse the higher the felt recoil.

Edited to add: Welcome to the board, if you have any questions about the 10mm ask. Most people here like helping others.

Thanks for that formula. I've heard of power factor but didn't do the homework to find out how it was determined.

nickE10mm
08-29-2012, 12:55
I'm sure everyone knows the story of the 1986 Miami FBI shootout that led to the adoption and then abandonment of the 10mm due to "sharp" recoil.

I wanted to make a vid demonstrating rapid fire of my G29SF with the hottest loads I know of. The video is kind of a fail in that you can't see the bullet holes. I can say that the shots were all over the target but all on the torso.

I was trying to simulate a worst case scenario where the gun would be shot rapidly at close range.

MINI0042 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sugPNAYcXJg&list=UU8YZCSPejQGouHgPp0_bW5A&index=1&feature=plcp)

Glock 29 SF
KKM barrel
Tungsten rod with 23lb Wolff spring
grip is silicon carbide epoxied
ghost rocket trigger connector
7 yards
Underwood 135gr 1600fps JHP

I weigh about 157lbs. I mention that because I think it's a factor in recoil control.

Also this is a compact gun and performance might improve with a full size. And this is the first time I've tried rapid fire of this gun so further training could improve things even more.

Probably preaching to the choir here but my conclusion is that the recoil of full power 10mm is not prohibitive to a duty weapon. If you shoot these or similar loads in your 10 let me know if you agree or disagree.

Then we can forward this thread to the FBI so they can immediately switch back to the 10 and prices on retail ammo will fall for all of us.

It could happen.

Welcome!

Thanks for posting... neat video. I've done MANY MANY MANY rapid fire strings with all forms of 10mm, weak and strong. I (and most others) agree.... full power 10mm is a handful but not anything unmanageable. As someone said before, however, a 135gr bullet won't get you the most recoil .... I'd say a full power 180-200gr load will be a heavier kick. Also, you're 23lb recoil spring will definitely increase felt recoil, whereas the stock spring would "flatten out" recoil a bit.

The 10 is a beast. Enjoy it!

cowboywannabe
09-01-2012, 14:58
the Glock 20 or 29 werent invented when the fbi gave 10mms to their agents to play with.

the Glock design absorbs, displaces, handles, tames....10mm recoil better than any other 10mm ive shot. but then again, had the G20 been an fbi option they still have to abandon it for something smaller to fit their petite agents hands.