Any legal overtravel stop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any legal overtravel stop?

atyszka
08-29-2012, 08:33
Longtime lurker, first post.

I've realized my shooting is a bit more accurate with an over-travel stop, go figure. I have a couple modified trigger blocks with the set screw for practice, but know that's only legal in Unlimited. Is there a legal way to accomplish this for the other classes? A little epoxy?

Thanks, Art

Don At PC
08-29-2012, 08:39
No, not legal in any Stock Category. Stock is stock, glock does not equip any Glocks with over travel stops.

Don

atyszka
08-29-2012, 08:55
Don, thanks. I know I need to continue working on my grip and squeeze. Such a simple idea and yet I catch myself jerking all too often.

Don At PC
08-29-2012, 09:28
Don, thanks. I know I need to continue working on my grip and squeeze. Such a simple idea and yet I catch myself jerking all too often.

I fully understand as I have had the same difficulty. I have found that a lot of dry fire will really help considerably. That was also good advice given to me by a good friend and master class shooter, and it does work.

Don

SARDG
08-29-2012, 10:13
With proper trigger control, and once you get used to a given trigger, total travel won't amount to much on a Glock. Total travel on a good day won't involve slapping the trigger and going to overtravel at all. You should also be considering shooting the reset and releasing the trigger only enough for it to reset... then starting all over.

Dry fire is good, live fire can't be beat.

ETA: If you've been lurking awhile, you've seen posts by Butch. Check his blogs for trigger control tips.

atyszka
08-29-2012, 11:44
Butch's blog posts are great, I've read them all. I just decided to pull the trigger (pun intended) on the Southwest Shooting reset trigger. One of my issues are transition and follow-up shots, so we'll see how much this helps.

I agree that nothing beats live fire, but I'm usually only able to get to my club once or twice a month, I make up for it by taking 500 rnds each time, but it's still not as much as I'd like.

Thanks again for the input and suggestions.

Art

SARDG
08-29-2012, 12:22
I tell shooters that transitions are free time just given to competitors - no charge! :supergrin: Not certain what transitions problems you are having, but two common problems that can slow you down are dipping your way to the next target instead of taking a direct route, and overshooting your target with the transition and missing or having to come back. Your stance could play into the ability to transistion quickly and efficiently as well. I think Bama said that on plates he just sweeps his way through without a specific collection of transitions. Those who can, do! :)

Good follow-up shots for your splits may be improved by a better grip and stance. And there's nothing like powder puff loads to keep muzzle flip down. I've guesstimated that my reloads alone are likely responsible for at least a 10 to 15% reduction in my times. Atlanta Arms sells the equivalent ammo.

Kitty

Fisherman
08-29-2012, 12:44
With the recent increase in cost at my LGS, the price of Atlanta Ammo would really be hard to beat for those of who don't reload (yet). The SubSonic 147 gr is definately a powder puff load. My thanks to those who recommended it. :fishing:

atyszka
08-29-2012, 14:06
I tell shooters that transitions are free time just given to competitors - no charge! :supergrin: Not certain what transitions problems you are having, but two common problems that can slow you down are dipping your way to the next target instead of taking a direct route, and overshooting your target with the transition and missing or having to come back. Your stance could play into the ability to transistion quickly and efficiently as well. I think Bama said that on plates he just sweeps his way through without a specific collection of transitions. Those who can, do! :)

Good follow-up shots for your splits may be improved by a better grip and stance. And there's nothing like powder puff loads to keep muzzle flip down. I've guesstimated that my reloads alone are likely responsible for at least a 10 to 15% reduction in my times. Atlanta Arms sells the equivalent ammo.

Kitty
I may not be using the right vernacular with "transitions". Two of the areas I struggle with are a quick follow up shot (as needed in all the cardboard stages) and then moving to the next target, weather it be at a different angle or distance. If I go slow, no problem, it's when I try to shave time that I get sloppy. I reload, but even my powder puff load comes in a a PF of 155 (.40, 155 gr @ 1008 fps) so I could obviously slow that down, just need to see what happens to load accuracy and cycling.

Plan for now is to continue practicing my grip, stance and squeeze through dry fire and moving from target to target, probably in the garage. Then see if it's coming through in my live fire. But I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

lethal tupperwa
08-29-2012, 14:19
re 500 at a time

more is not better if EACH one is not correct.

If not, all you do is reinforce bad habits.

__jb
09-01-2012, 21:47
wrong forum...