Local club's egg shoot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Local club's egg shoot

SD Handgunner
08-29-2012, 14:47
This past Saturday the Tri State Shooters Club, Inc. held our annual Rifle Sight in Day, Fun Shoot & Egg Shoot. We did things a bit different this year and while it worked OK it was different. This year instead of regular Chicken Eggs we used the Steel Egg Racks we had built.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/LarryinSD/EggSilhouetteRack.jpg

These steel eggs were patterned after real chick eggs so the size is the same. As can be seen they are attached to a 12" long pice of 1"x1/4" flat iron and pivot on a 1/2" rod.

The rules are quite simple, each shoot is allowed a maximum of 10 shots to try to hit the 5 eggs. For every egg hit the shooter receives 1 point. In addition once the 5 eggs are hit that shooter receives an additional point for every one of the 10 shots not fired. So shooting 5 eggs with 5 shots would be a perfect score of 10 points, shooting 5 eggs with 6 shots would be a score of 9 points etc.

The courses of fire are as follows:
Rimfire Handguns with either Open Sights or Non Magnifying Red Dot Sights @ 25 yards
Rimfire Rifles or Handguns with a maximum scope magnification of 9x @ 50 yards
Rimfire Rifles or Handguns with unliminted scope magnification @ 100 yards
We also run a Centerfire Course @ 200 yards

We didn't have any takers in the 25 yard class. In the 50 yard class I shot both my Custom Ruger Charger and my Custom Ruger 77/22. I shot the Charger first and managed a score of 9 points hitting 5 eggs with 6 shots (I missed my very first shot). I then shot the 77/22 and managed a score of 10 points hitting 5 eggs with 5 shots.

I then asked my 9 year old grandson if he wanted to shoot the eggs. He said sure, but that he had to go get his Marlin Youth .22. I asked if he wanted to shoot grandpa's Rifle and he said sure. I then asked if he had the $2.00 entry fee and he said NO. Before I could even say that grandpa had 2 bucks his dad paid his entry fee. We got my grandson set up at the bench and I coached him a bit, instructing him where to aim, watch his breathing and to squeeze the trigger. He managed to shoot a score of 10 points hitting 5 eggs with 5 shots. By the time he had hit the 3rd egg with his 3rd shot there was a few people standing around watching cheering him on.

In the end no one else shot the 50 yard class so we had to have a shoot off. My grandson went first and yes his cheering section was still present. I think his nerves got he best of him as the second time around he only managed a score of 4 points hitting 4 eggs with all 10 shots. Next it was my turn. As I readied myself I whispered to the lady keeping score that the shoot off should be harder than the initial shoot and told her I was going to shoot for the 1/4" iron holding the eggs. She nodded in agreement and just smiled. Well I only managed a score of 3 hitting 3 out of the 10 shots so my grandson won the shootoff.

His winnings were $3.00 (1/2 of the purse for that class) and when I gave him his $3.00 he handed me a dollar back. I asked what that was for and he just said "grandpa you shot really good too so you should get something too". I tell ya guys I darn near melted I was so choked up by what this 9 year old had just said.

We also only had 3 people shoot in the 100 yard class (actually two people but I shot with two different guns, the Charger and 77/22). One of my buddies shooting a Custom Nordic Ruger 10/22 won hands down with a score of 10 hitting 5 eggs with 5 shots. I only the other hand made a grave error in that I tried using Kentucky Windage rather than rezeroing my Charger and 77/22. Let's just say that due to my lack of judgement the eggs were really safe from me on Saturday at 100 yards.

All in all I had a great day. I really truely enjoyed shooting the Custom Ruger Charger in the new Custom Stock (even though it is not totally finished as yet). Truth be known I enjoyed shooting the score of 9 at 50 yards more with the Charger than I did shooting the score of 10 at 50 yards with the 77/22. This new custom Charger Stock fits my hand way better than the other Charger Stocks I have tried so far.

Next year I guess I have to push a little harder to get guys to shoot in the 25 yard class. Hopefully next year we can pick a better day for the shoot so more people can attend.

Thanks for reading.

Larry

Raleigh Glocker
08-29-2012, 15:00
What a great story! I got something in my eye there reading about him giving you a dollar because you shoot really good, too...

Sounds like you and his dad did a great job with him.

SD Handgunner
08-29-2012, 19:36
What a great story! I got something in my eye there reading about him giving you a dollar because you shoot really good, too...

Sounds like you and his dad did a great job with him.

Thanks, I had something in my eyes also when he did that.

I was thoroughly impressed with the young mans marksmanship and attitude. He is quite young and truth be known this is only about the 5th or 6th time I have had him at the range.

His birthday is Sunday at which time he will be 10, then he can start shooting a .22 at our Indoor Shooting Range. Yes it is going to be a busy winter for me as I will have 2 grand daughters and a grandson shooting not only our Clubs Indoor Bench Rest League but also the 3 Position Youth Rifle League.

Thanks again

Larry

Dalton Wayne
08-29-2012, 19:40
I went to an egg shoot with muzzle loaders where if you missed the egg you had to eat it raw fun times

SD Handgunner
08-29-2012, 20:33
I went to an egg shoot with muzzle loaders where if you missed the egg you had to eat it raw fun times

That doesn't sound like a good time at all, at least not if a person missed.

Larry

vafish
08-30-2012, 15:50
You shoot that off a bench?

Eggs at 50 yards should be shot standing.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine