RCBS dies question? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RCBS dies question?

Slug71
08-30-2012, 01:28
I might have the opportunity to get 500rds of reloads and a set of RCBS 9mm dies, model #20515, for $125. Could probably knock him down a bit too.

I know absolutely nothing about reloading and its products.
I would like to start reloading in the near future though.

Are these good dies?
Is this a deal I should jump on?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

shotgunred
08-30-2012, 06:10
I wouldn't shoot a strangers reloads from my gun if you gave them me for free. One of them blows up your gun and the price you payed for them isn't going to come close to fixing your gun.

F106 Fan
08-30-2012, 07:13
Brand new, the dies are worth < $50. The reloads are worthless. I would never shoot someone else's loads.

Richard

JBnTX
08-30-2012, 07:28
Pass up the entire deal.

As already stated, NEVER shoot another person's reloads, unless you have total 100% confidence in that person's reloading ability.

If you want dies, buy new.
That way you know what you're getting.

Slug71
08-30-2012, 14:19
Thanks guys.

I have passed. He purchased the stuff from a gun show from a local ammo dealer he claims.
But yeh, a little too far down the chain for my liking.

Taterhead
08-30-2012, 19:44
The only thing that the reloads would be worth is potentially for bullets if you pulled them to reload them. Brass is worth almost nothing since you can find 9mm brass for free.

I pulled a bunch of reloads recently to salvage components. That was mostly a waste of time since the dummy so excessively crimped the bullets that they were giant mushroom heads with virtually no neck tension. Bullets slipped right of the case with a few light taps of the kinetic puller. What a waste. So even buying loaded ammo to salvage components can be an iffy proposition. Luckily I did not pay anything for the loads I pulled down.

RustyFN
08-30-2012, 20:41
I might have the opportunity to get 500rds of reloads and a set of RCBS 9mm dies, model #20515, for $125. Could probably knock him down a bit too.

I know absolutely nothing about reloading and its products.
I would like to start reloading in the near future though.

Are these good dies?
Is this a deal I should jump on?

Well 500 rounds is a lot of ammo to pull apart. I also don't shoot others reloads. As far as components go you could buy 1,000 9mm bullets and 1,000 once fired brass for that or less.

fredj338
08-30-2012, 23:02
Brand new, the dies are worth < $50. The reloads are worthless. I would never shoot someone else's loads.

Richard

^^THIS^^:upeyes: SHooting another guys reloads is like sleeping w/ a prostitute, sounds like fun, but you never know what you are going to end up with. Pass.

ROGER4314
09-03-2012, 12:13
I have the same policy on shooting someone else's reloads. I just don't do it!

There are lots of ways to screw up a carbide sizing die. I have a tile floor in my reloading room and a single drop on the floor could destroy the carbide ring. Look up MidwayUSA and get a set of new dies then take good care of them!

Flash