G34 for IDPA and G19 for carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G34 for IDPA and G19 for carry

Gloc kMN
08-30-2012, 18:05
Sorry if this has been discussed at length before, but I couldn't find it....

A little background:

I've been carrying a G19 for 10yrs now. The same one with a nicely worn slide from thousands of draw strokes and 10's of thousands of rounds through it. I shot my first IDPA match in June with that G19. Did well overall. Shot my second match in July and won the match! (with a lot of luck) Classified in July at Sharpshooter. Shot another match in August and did fairly well again.

Then I decided to buy a G34 (Gamer:whistling:)and really like the gun. I've always subscribed to the adage of "beware of the man with one gun", so I'm having some slight issues now.

My question is this: Because I've shot the 19 as my ONLY gun for so long, when I switch back and forth it seems very awkward and takes quite a few draws to get my mind right on the 19 for carry again. Will that go away over time and the transition be easier???

I really enjoy the 34 and plan to start USPSA eventually, but with three kids in sports; my time and money aren't always my own!:cool:

Can someone truly master two different guns and be the best they can be with BOTH of them? I started IDPA to better my carry skills, but really enjoy the competitive side of it as well....

Thanks!

PEC-Memphis
08-30-2012, 21:15
I have a friend who is an IDPA Master - and not just barely. He shoots at master level with a 1911, Walther, and SIG. I have another friend who is a IDPA 5-gun master (SSP, ESP, CDP, SSR, ESR) - and not just by a little bit. Yes, they have obviously mastered the use of multiple, very different, types of firearms. These are much different than the transition from a 19 to a 34.

Part of your skill level (compared to others) is due to your physical limitations - vision, hand-eye coordination, etc. Each person has their own physical limits. It takes time and dedication to reach each persons own limits.

Chris Chris
08-31-2012, 06:00
There is nothing wring with your concept of G34 for matches and G19 for carry. The operating controls are identical and practice with one is practice with the other. I'm IDPA MA in SSP with a standard M&P 9mm and I carry a M&P 9mm compact.

There is also nothing wrong with shooting a match with your G19 every now and then and leaving the G34 at home that weekend.

BuckyP
08-31-2012, 06:11
I went from competing with a SS 1911, an STI, a Beretta Elite II, then a GLOCK 34 in the same month. If you do it enough with each, the transition should become easier. Sometimes the "newness" after a switch, keeps me a little sharper and gives me a slight edge.

The only gun that takes getting used to is my HK P2000SK (which I sometimes shoot in a sub compact match). The trigger reset is longer than all the other guns, so I occasionally short stroke it.

jbglock
08-31-2012, 06:15
I had no problem with two different guns competing but everyone is different. To me the grip between the full size Glock and the compact size are dramatically different though. My compact 23c fits my hand perfect while my full size 17 doesn't because of the finger grooves only. I can understand why your combo feels so much different to you. Does your 19 feel perfect in comparison?

Gloc kMN
08-31-2012, 07:11
I love the 19 and always have liked the fit and feel of it in my hand. The pointability of the 34 is amazing but I have noticed the finger grooves on it aren't as good a fit to my hand as the 19's.

I think that if I just continue to practice a lot with both the transition between them won't seem so difficult. They're obviously very similar guns and I think my 10 yrs of only shooting one gun has made my brain a little resistant to change!:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ADK_40GLKr
09-01-2012, 10:39
After buying a G17 FOR IDPA, and achieving Marksman locally, I have gone back to my G27 in .40 to try to improve with it.

I think practice with BOTH is the key.

Remember IDPA is SUPPOSED to be for your carry equipment.

TheBelly
09-01-2012, 10:45
If commonality of operating systems is something you're going for, then yeah the G34 and G19 are about 85% the same (as you already know). However, that 15% might be the little bit that trips you up if you need to use the G19 in a defensive situation.

The slide lock/release levers are different on the two guns, providing a different feel. The magazine release buttons on the two guns are different (again, as you already know).

If your life depended on it, I'd change one to be EXACTLY like the other. Me personally, I'd change the G19 to be exactly like the G34 in those two aspects. No one has ever said, "I'm able to control and manipulate this firearm TOO well. I better make this harder."

BuckyP
09-01-2012, 15:03
The slide lock/release levers are different on the two guns, providing a different feel. The magazine release buttons on the two guns are different (again, as you already know).

If your life depended on it, I'd change one to be EXACTLY like the other. Me personally, I'd change the G19 to be exactly like the G34 in those two aspects.

I'd say yes on the slide release, but no to the magazine release. The longer release on the G19 may be a liability, as it's easier to get accidentally disengaged in day to day wear.

dakrat
09-01-2012, 16:56
Remember IDPA is SUPPOSED to be for your carry equipment.

its a game just like IPSC and USPSA with different set of rules. it is not blackwater training facility or thunder ranch self defense class. you can shoot any firearm as long as it fits in any of the 5 divisions. even rifles and shotguns. not necessarily concealed carry firearms.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Gloc kMN
09-01-2012, 18:24
I'm actually left handed, so I don't use the slide release. Another handicap for lefties in competition.

I appreciate the feedback and have already noticed the switching back and forth getting a little easier. I may switch the slide release on my 19 and start going over the top of the slide with my right thumb for releasing a locked back slide....I want to avoid developing bad habits from comp though.

dakrat
09-01-2012, 18:47
IMO, a barrel length of 5.31" is too long for a 9mm recoil. that is why some competition shooters that has both prefers the faster slide of the 17.

Gloc kMN
09-01-2012, 19:23
Not sure what you mean by the slide length of a 17 being faster? The slide reciprocates the same amount as a 26. The benefit is the increased sight radius and overall weight of the gun for recoil mitigation.

waktasz
09-01-2012, 20:23
I'm actually left handed, so I don't use the slide release. Another handicap for lefties in competition.

I appreciate the feedback and have already noticed the switching back and forth getting a little easier. I may switch the slide release on my 19 and start going over the top of the slide with my right thumb for releasing a locked back slide....I want to avoid developing bad habits from comp though.

Use your trigger finger. Any method other than using the slide release is slower.

TattooedGlock
09-02-2012, 06:44
I love my G19 and plan to get a couple more. I say if you love yours and are comfortable shooting it, stick with it for carry and competition! Get another G19 and maybe trick it out a bit. Now of course there's nothing wrong with owning other models, but for IDPA style events I prefer a carry gun versus a race gun.