Suggestions over kimber?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions over kimber?!

FuturePharmD
08-30-2012, 22:42
Ok found an eclipse ultra 2 and have fallen in love with the size and color combination. I am not new to 1911's as I have a classic colt all original and a frankeinstine that is a mix of parts all fitted by a gun smith.
I want a 1911 that I can carry and was reaching out to others who love these guns for alternative suggestions. I've never seen anything like this kimber eclipse from other manufacturers. I appreciate the information.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cciman
08-30-2012, 22:47
Go for it. Why an alternative?

FuturePharmD
08-31-2012, 05:56
Just making sure I'm not overlooking a great option. I've always heard how amazing kimber's were, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

bac1023
08-31-2012, 08:38
I like Kimbers, but I'm not big on Ultras.

glock_19guy1983
08-31-2012, 08:42
I love kimbers but you could also look at a colt new agent and a sti electra.

SpringerTGO
08-31-2012, 15:06
My Ultra was unreliable. Kimbers service was slow and unreliable. Do some research on Kimber Ultra's and you will find a very mixed bag. The people who have working ones generally don't give any cred to the large number of people who haven't been so lucky.

Buy a Springfield.

cciman
09-01-2012, 08:48
deleted

cciman
09-01-2012, 08:54
Glock 36, Kahr PM45, Taurus millpro 145- you might be able to buy 2 of these for one of the ultra. I think the smaller 1911's have reps for more problems.

Just making sure I'm not overlooking a great option. I've always heard how amazing kimber's were, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

TheJ
09-01-2012, 09:22
I am happy with my Ultra Covert II but it seems the ultras have mixed results.

faawrenchbndr
09-01-2012, 11:17
Had a Ultra SIS,......was super reliable.
Sold it to a shooting buddy at the 4500 rounds fired mark. :cool:

Jason D
09-01-2012, 18:05
<--- Not a fan of anything smaller than a Commander.

FuturePharmD
09-01-2012, 18:22
Glock 36, Kahr PM45, Taurus millpro 145- you might be able to buy 2 of these for one of the ultra. I think the smaller 1911's have reps for more problems.

I actually own the 36 and the Taurus, I have just always wanted a 1911 to put in the carry rotation with my 36 and fell in love with the looks of this kimber. Starting to rethink after some of these reviews.

dakrat
09-01-2012, 18:48
<--- Not a fan of anything smaller than a Commander.

<--- this guy too

clancy
09-01-2012, 19:09
What amazed me about my Kimber was just how much a POS a $1500 pistol could be. What amazed me even more was the horrible customer service I got.

Many forum members here have had great luck with Kimber. The issues I had combined with the lack of satisfaction despite sending the pistol back 3 times left such a sour taste in my mouth that I will never ever consider purchasing another, nor can I recommend it, especially after seeing the problems several friends have also had with their Kimbers.

4Baldy
09-01-2012, 19:16
I sure do like the Ultra CDP II for ever day carry. Very accurate out to about 15yds. For defense work it will do the job...:cool:

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
09-01-2012, 19:31
The only micro 1911 I have known to be reliable was the Colt Defender I have had two of them and they both have been flawless. My friends have had other ones and they have also worked very well.

mikegun
09-01-2012, 19:36
i had 2 ultra cdp 2s, very very accurate, light east to carry, i sold them both and now carry a G23, they were veryt reliable as well, i just like the option of more rounds, thus the glock, but i wish i had one of the kimbers back....

Glock_en_speil
09-01-2012, 21:43
If you want a compact 1911 that will be completely reliable out of the box then go with one of models that Wilson Combat offers. Be advised they are not cheap. You'll need to pony up (Colt pun not intended) 3-3.5K for one and as with ALL compact 1911's you'll need to change springs more frequently than a full size to maintain its reliability. Wilson also sells their own ammo brand that has been specially designed for use in compact 1911's. Again, it's not cheap but if you want 100% reliability it can be achieved in a compact 1911 albeit at a price.

All that said it's not a crime to consider another platform for carry. You can carry something else and still call yourself a 1911 guy. The fact is that the 1911 was never designed to be a concealed carry gun. There are many weapons available these days that were designed to be a carry gun from the start and they are much less expensive than a 1911.

SpringerTGO
09-03-2012, 17:01
What amazed me about my Kimber was just how much a POS a $1500 pistol could be. What amazed me even more was the horrible customer service I got.

Many forum members here have had great luck with Kimber. The issues I had combined with the lack of satisfaction despite sending the pistol back 3 times left such a sour taste in my mouth that I will never ever consider purchasing another, nor can I recommend it, especially after seeing the problems several friends have also had with their Kimbers.

+1 :rofl:

jrs93accord
09-03-2012, 18:06
The Eclipse Ultra is the one Eclipse I do not own yet.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2010/001-12.jpg

I do have an Ultra Tactical II .......

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/DSC00617.jpg

and an Ultra Crimson Carry II.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/jamesrea10/002-8.jpg

Both of these have been excellent pistols. I own sixteen Kimbers and I can say that I have not had a problem with any of them as of yet.

Roger1079
09-08-2012, 01:39
I have 2. My Raptor 2 has been 100% reliable from round 1. Now at about round 1000 and not a single issue. My Super Carry Pro has been a different experience.

I just got it 2 weeks ago so my round count sits at 100, so in all fairness, it is 400 rounds from being broken in. First round in the mag would feed about half way and stop in every mag I tried (both the new mag, and the worn in mag from my Raptor). At least one round out of every mag would also hit me square in the forehead. Different ammo did not correct this. I am giving the pistol the benefit of the doubt as I have read in numerous places that the commander and ultra 1911's are much less forgiving with the break in requirements than the full size.

Going to the range tomorrow to put a couple hundred more rounds through it. I will post my results afterwards. Until it can go 100 rounds without a malfunction or spitting brass at me though, it will not be replacing my trusty G27 and Ruger LCP as my carry pistols.

glock2740
09-08-2012, 06:48
Go for it. I have 2 Kimber Ultra models and they've both been 100% reliable. Very accurate too. :cool:

redbrd
09-08-2012, 07:06
Ok found an eclipse ultra 2 and have fallen in love with the size and color combination. I am not new to 1911's as I have a classic colt all original and a frankeinstine that is a mix of parts all fitted by a gun smith.
I want a 1911 that I can carry and was reaching out to others who love these guns for alternative suggestions. I've never seen anything like this kimber eclipse from other manufacturers. I appreciate the information.

I had an Eclipse Ultra 2 it is a beautiful looking weapon.... mine wouldn't feed anything worth a sh!! I tried different magazines different ammo a little polishing. I put well over a 1000 rounds of ammo through the thing. So it wasn't breaking in. It sold even with full disclosure for almost what I had in it though. It is pretty.

ca survivor
09-08-2012, 08:35
The only micro 1911 I have known to be reliable was the Colt Defender I have had two of them and they both have been flawless. My friends have had other ones and they have also worked very well.
This ^^^^^

fasteddie565
09-09-2012, 06:47
I have 2. My Raptor 2 has been 100% reliable from round 1. Now at about round 1000 and not a single issue. My Super Carry Pro has been a different experience.

I just got it 2 weeks ago so my round count sits at 100, so in all fairness, it is 400 rounds from being broken in. First round in the mag would feed about half way and stop in every mag I tried (both the new mag, and the worn in mag from my Raptor). At least one round out of every mag would also hit me square in the forehead. Different ammo did not correct this. I am giving the pistol the benefit of the doubt as I have read in numerous places that the commander and ultra 1911's are much less forgiving with the break in requirements than the full size.

Going to the range tomorrow to put a couple hundred more rounds through it. I will post my results afterwards. Until it can go 100 rounds without a malfunction or spitting brass at me though, it will not be replacing my trusty G27 and Ruger LCP as my carry pistols.

You may have an extractor issue. As far as the FTF / FTE issues, I have a patented process that has worked on all of my kimbers, to include my Super carry Ultra,(My EDC) and my Super carry Pro who takes a back seat to the Ultra.

I had to do some mods to my Ultra, the slide stop in specific, but now that that is fixed, all is good to go. My Ultra CDP was the same way. Broke it in with the process below and it ran like a scalded ape.

The Process.....

Disassemble, coat the rails and the slide with a thin layer of cheap white colgate toothpaste. Reassemble and work the action 200 times or until the toothpaste gets grey and drags the action.

Disassemble, clean and repeat.

Disassemble, clean, lubricate and voila. I learned this on my First New Kimber, a Raptor Pro. I do it to all of my Kimbers now, to include my Gold Combat and my whole line of Super Carries.

Remember its patented so don't tell anyone else.

Roger1079
09-13-2012, 07:01
You may have an extractor issue. As far as the FTF / FTE issues, I have a patented process that has worked on all of my kimbers, to include my Super carry Ultra,(My EDC) and my Super carry Pro who takes a back seat to the Ultra.

I had to do some mods to my Ultra, the slide stop in specific, but now that that is fixed, all is good to go. My Ultra CDP was the same way. Broke it in with the process below and it ran like a scalded ape.

The Process.....

Disassemble, coat the rails and the slide with a thin layer of cheap white colgate toothpaste. Reassemble and work the action 200 times or until the toothpaste gets grey and drags the action.

Disassemble, clean and repeat.

Disassemble, clean, lubricate and voila. I learned this on my First New Kimber, a Raptor Pro. I do it to all of my Kimbers now, to include my Gold Combat and my whole line of Super Carries.

Remember its patented so don't tell anyone else.I wish I would have read this yesterday. I just sent it back.

After 500 rounds, the feeding problems were still there. You could actually see where the brass was dragging on the feed ramp. The extracting issues were no better either. The brass was going from actually exiting to the front side of the pistol at about a 45 degree angle, pretty much just falling out of the chamber, spitting them up over into the lane next to me, hitting the wall next to me, going clean over my shoulder just like my Raptor does ever time, to hitting me straight in the forehead hard enough to leave a cut.

After calling Kimber, and explaining the issue, the rep asked the 3 usual questions. Did you use different magazines, did you use different ammo, and have you made any modifications to the pistol? The answers were Yes, Yes, and No and within 10 minutes I had a shipping label in my e-mail. They assured me the turnaround time would be quick and I would have a perfectly functioning pistol back shortly. Cant say enough for Kimbers customer service so far. I will keep everyone updated.

eracer
09-13-2012, 07:05
I've got wood for an STI Lawman 4.0 ($1433.00 MSRP)

SpringerTGO
09-13-2012, 13:20
I wish I would have read this yesterday. I just sent it back.

After 500 rounds, the feeding problems were still there. You could actually see where the brass was dragging on the feed ramp. The extracting issues were no better either. The brass was going from actually exiting to the front side of the pistol at about a 45 degree angle, pretty much just falling out of the chamber, spitting them up over into the lane next to me, hitting the wall next to me, going clean over my shoulder just like my Raptor does ever time, to hitting me straight in the forehead hard enough to leave a cut.

After calling Kimber, and explaining the issue, the rep asked the 3 usual questions. Did you use different magazines, did you use different ammo, and have you made any modifications to the pistol? The answers were Yes, Yes, and No and within 10 minutes I had a shipping label in my e-mail. They assured me the turnaround time would be quick and I would have a perfectly functioning pistol back shortly. Cant say enough for Kimbers customer service so far. I will keep everyone updated.

When my Ultra had the same issues, Kimber made me pay shipping back. They claimed to polish the feed ramp, adjust the extractor, and I forget what else. Approximately 6-8 weeks later I had my Ultra back. First magazine through and I had a ftf.

Roger1079
09-15-2012, 06:59
When my Ultra had the same issues, Kimber made me pay shipping back. They claimed to polish the feed ramp, adjust the extractor, and I forget what else. Approximately 6-8 weeks later I had my Ultra back. First magazine through and I had a ftf.Well, so far I cannot say anything for the result of the service, but they paid shipping back to them with no persuasion from me. Whether or not the turnaround time is accurate and the repair is good is yet to be determined. It definitely seems you were having the same feeding issues as I am. Were you also having similar ejection issues to mine?

klmmicro
09-15-2012, 07:37
Go for it. I have 2 Kimber Ultra models and they've both been 100% reliable. Very accurate too. :cool:

This has been my expeirience with them as well. Got wrangled into shooting a local "fun-gun-run" paper and steel match a few years back, but was stopping by the range only to pick up some magazines I had ordered. My firearm was at home, so one of the staff handed me a stainless Kimber Ultra Carry and a "loaner". Could not resist at that point.

Out to the range I go thinking that I will be at the bottom of the list using a pistol I have never shot of a design that I had never been a real fan of.

The course required 75 rounds and after the first string, I could not believe how accurate the little pistol was. I had touching holes in more than one target, shooting on the move at 10 yards. 100% reliable shooting run of the mill Federal JHP ammo.

Placed in the top 5 that evening and walked off the range with not a single bad thought regarding the Ultra line.

SpringerTGO
09-15-2012, 11:00
Well, so far I cannot say anything for the result of the service, but they paid shipping back to them with no persuasion from me. Whether or not the turnaround time is accurate and the repair is good is yet to be determined. It definitely seems you were having the same feeding issues as I am. Were you also having similar ejection issues to mine?

It's been a while, but as I recall it did have ejection issues. It was a very accurate handgun, but no way I would trust my life to it. I also tried various magazines.
I think it's insane that a manufacturer of that expensive a handgun doesn't want to talk to you until you waste 500 rounds for "break-in", and suggests other magazines.

ScottRV8A
09-25-2012, 10:18
jrs93accord - you mention also owning the Ultra Crimson Carry II and with it no issues either. What ammo are you using?

I had a very used Ultra Crimson Carry II that I was doing some work on - replaced extractor as it was not doing this properly and this fix solved it, and had ordered a recoil spring assemply as it was not chambering the next round reliably. The gun was stolen before I could replace the recoil spring assemby.

However, insurance replaced it and so off I go to the range with my brand new Ultra Crimson Carry II - only to experience the exact same problem with chambering the next round reliably. I have considered the "limp wrist" impact and that is not it. The ammo is the Remington JHP from Walmart (box of 100 for about $40) and was used in the old gun as well. I have noticed that this ammo has a very blunt bullet head, and the cuts in it for the hollow point feature are not real smooth. I have tried some "round nose" and it is not nearly as bad, but may have been impacted by the fact that the Remmington ammo is VERY dirty; the residue etc. left in the gun after minimal rounds is amazing (not in a good way!)

I picked up some clean round nose Winchester last night from Bass Pro (or at least the white box Winchester I run through my 9mms is very clean, so I am assuming this will be too) BUT since yours is working flawlessly I thought it worth seeing what you were using and trying that as well.

Thanks!

The Eclipse Ultra is the one Eclipse I do not own yet.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2010/001-12.jpg

I do have an Ultra Tactical II .......

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/DSC00617.jpg

and an Ultra Crimson Carry II.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/jamesrea10/002-8.jpg

Both of these have been excellent pistols. I own sixteen Kimbers and I can say that I have not had a problem with any of them as of yet.