ASVAB material question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ASVAB material question

Hailstorm
08-31-2012, 12:59
I was asked by a young man today if I had any study material for the ASVAB. Been a long time for me. So, I started looking online for study guides. All I come up with is books. Anything online for free?

Knowing the Brain Trust here. I would get a good answer. :wavey:

tarpleyg
08-31-2012, 13:03
In all fairness, if someone has to "study" for the ASVAB, don't bother taking it. If one passed high school, that's all the studying one should need. This is just my opinion, of course. For me, it was by and far one of the easiest "exams" I ever sat for. I think I aced it or nearly so.

Greg

Hailstorm
08-31-2012, 13:06
He graduated in 2007 and just wanted to brush up. That's all.

Viper16
08-31-2012, 13:07
In all fairness, if someone has to "study" for the ASVAB, don't bother taking it. If one passed high school, that's all the studying one should need. This is just my opinion, of course. For me, it was by and far one of the easiest "exams" I ever sat for. I think I aced it or nearly so.

Greg

I agree, I graduated high school but decided to purchase the book anyway, opened it up once just to peruse through, took the test and scored just about aced it. If you passed high school, it will be an easy test.

Batesmotel
08-31-2012, 13:17
I barely graduated high school. Dad died, grades sucked. But I was not a good student to begin with. I aced the ASVAB. 99th percentile.

Not really designed as a test to study for. You know it or you don't.

BTW. Why do people get excited about studying for the ASVAB? Why not study for school? Same skills.

raven11
08-31-2012, 13:19
Try military.com they should have a practice ASVAB. Look at it this way. No one fails the ASVAB they just end up in the ARMY:whistling:

Hailstorm
08-31-2012, 13:25
ROFL, I know. I was asked, so I wanted to give it a shot. I will go take a look at the military.com page. Thanks all.

Edited to ad. Yep, they have some tests on military.com

Geko45
08-31-2012, 13:31
Try military.com they should have a practice ASVAB. Look at it this way. No one fails the ASVAB they just end up in the ARMY:whistling:

My ex-wife did, twice...

Chesafreak
08-31-2012, 13:32

Greg

Unfortunately that is not true. I did a tour as a Navy Recruiter. I had HS grads and college students fail the practice ASVAB test that we had on our laptops. The practice test was required before we spent time and money filling out forms and transporting them to the test site. The scores from the practice test were fairly close to what I had recruits score on the ASVAB.

I have even seen college students with engineering majors that couldn't pass the test. That may sound far-fetched, but public colleges don't mind taking your money even if you aren't cut out for it. Typically, remedial classes are one more credit hour than normal classes, so the college makes more profit.

Where I was stationed in upstate NY, I saw MANY kids fail the ASVAB.

Batesmotel
08-31-2012, 13:34
No one fails the ASVAB

I know a guy who did. He even graduated high school.

raven11
08-31-2012, 13:34
Unfortunately that is not true. I did a tour as a Navy Recruiter. I had HS grads and college students fail the practice ASVAB test that we had on our laptops. The practice test was required before we spent time and money filling out forms and transporting them to the test site. The scores from the practice test were fairly close to what I had recruits score on the ASVAB.

I have even seen college students with engineering majors that couldn't pass the test. That may sound far-fetched, but public colleges don't mind taking your money even if you aren't cut out for it. Typically, remedial classes are one more credit hour than normal classes, so the college makes more profit.

Where I was stationed in upstate NY, I saw MANY kids fail the ASVAB.

I would have loved to see the look on the engineering major when he failed the ASVAB. had to be at least 5-6 years of college

raven11
08-31-2012, 13:36
I know a guy who did. He even graduated high school.
http://gyazo.com/1d46318db61799cddc1c9b251aaf6c16.png

Chesafreak
08-31-2012, 13:39
Not really designed as a test to study for. You know it or you don't.

^This.

The ASVAB test is used to discover what occupations you are cut out for. Studying doesn't make much difference. It isn't so much about math/science/english as it is about skills you have a knack for and placing you into an occupation for which you are likely to succeed.

Chesafreak
08-31-2012, 13:42
I would have loved to see the look on the engineering major when he failed the ASVAB. had to be at least 5-6 years of college

It was a 2 year community college with many students that were from the Bronx. It wasn't your typical 2 yr community college. It was starting up some 4 year degree programs, and supplies Intel and other companies with many of their engineering technicians. I had quite a few of those students from NYC fail the practice ASVAB as well as a few local HS seniors and grads fail it. If they failed the practice test, they were only given a shot at the real deal if they were close to passing. The practice test was very accurate.

Batesmotel
08-31-2012, 14:06
http://gyazo.com/1d46318db61799cddc1c9b251aaf6c16.png

So was the high school we graduated from. Bottom of the barrel.

RDW
08-31-2012, 16:10
VERY easy to pass without thinking. :faint:

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-31-2012, 17:03
Alright.. one story, then I have to get a few things together and get to my deer hunting area. Archery season starts in 12 hours..

In '88, just as I was about to finish my recruiting detail, I had 3 (three) females walk in the office, who had all just graduated high school, diplomas in hand. Talked to them for a bit, discussed options.. then gave them the preASVAB.

They.. didn't pass.

I sent them to the Air Force recruiter (we were all buddies) he sent them to the Navy recruiter, who then talked them into "testing for" the Marines. So in the course of about a week, they took the preA 4 times. Not once, I say again, not ONCE did their COMBINED scores reach double digits. (a grad female needed a 31 to enlist at the time for us, 50 for everyone else)

VA27
08-31-2012, 18:18
What is this test of which you speak? In my day, if you managed to find your way into the building they signed you up. If you couldn't find your way into the building...they drafted you!:D

DrMaxit
08-31-2012, 19:57
I would study for any test, no matter how "easy" it may be, there is never any harm in studying. Even if it brings his score from a 92 to a 98 it was worth it. ASVAB isn't necessarily hard, but I studied for it myself.

Some of the word associations were a bit tricky for me and I had been out of high school for a while and wanted to brush up on those. I would have passed without doing so, but I'm sure I made a better score from studying.

Did my quick 4, got out, currently an engineering major. :wavey:

Grabbrass
08-31-2012, 20:44
My son is prepping right now with plans to join the Air Force. I bought him a couple books ... there are mechanical and electronic sections on the ASVAB that high school simply doesn't touch unless you take vocational courses (which he didn't).

Also, you'll see it mentioned somewhere that you can take the ASVAB over again to improve your score, but that's only true if your score is so low you don't meet minimum threshold for recruiting. For Army and Marines, AFAIK that score is 36th percentile, which probably means you managed to enter your name correctly. So if you score 36th percentile and you're planning to enlist in either of those branches, you're done - you get a job based on that score. From what my son's been told, Air Force and Navy require a minimum 50th percentile, but same deal.

It would be stupid not to spend some time preparing for this.

caponec2
08-31-2012, 20:58
i took it hung over and got a 97... then when i was on recruiting duty i actually tutored kids to take it.... by tutoring, i mean i had to teach them basic math and english.... they werent from good neighborhoods.... its a simple test.

Glock19Cowner
08-31-2012, 21:15
My son is prepping right now with plans to join the Air Force. I bought him a couple books ... there are mechanical and electronic sections on the ASVAB that high school simply doesn't touch unless you take vocational courses (which he didn't).

Also, you'll see it mentioned somewhere that you can take the ASVAB over again to improve your score, but that's only true if your score is so low you don't meet minimum threshold for recruiting. For Army and Marines, AFAIK that score is 36th percentile, which probably means you managed to enter your name correctly. So if you score 36th percentile and you're planning to enlist in either of those branches, you're done - you get a job based on that score. From what my son's been told, Air Force and Navy require a minimum 50th percentile, but same deal.

Part of what you said is true. You can score a 99 and retake it you just have to wait the required amount of time, and if you score the minimum score to join the Army of a 31 good luck finding a job on active duty with that low of a score. Also I would like to add the mechanical and the electronics section only equals out to around 10 point of the actual score. On a side note one of the better books out there for the test is ASVAB for Dummies, have seen kids bring score up by 20 points with that book.

G26S239
09-01-2012, 01:45
VERY easy to pass without thinking. :faint:

I agree. The military will be better off without having people too stupid to complete an ASVAB.

elliotb33
01-24-2013, 20:48
Thinking about joining been 5 yrs since my last math class (algebra II) and 4 yrs since i graduated ('09). Took a 10 Q sample test from some site only got 4/10. I was decent in math as well got a B in algebra, B- or C in algebra II and B in geometry. Dang you forget a lot in 5 yrs, use it or lose it is true, like FOIL etc etc. going to have to get a book or something.

droidfire
01-24-2013, 22:47
It's an aptitude test.

A lot of the questions are common sense questions.

Math and english are where people generally do poorly. Math because they forget the formulas they learned in high school, english because of the internet (lulz!)

If you want to study for it, review your math formulas so you can remember how to do percentages and such.

Review your grammar and spelling.

Taphius
01-24-2013, 23:25
Alright.. one story, then I have to get a few things together and get to my deer hunting area. Archery season starts in 12 hours..

In '88, just as I was about to finish my recruiting detail, I had 3 (three) females walk in the office, who had all just graduated high school, diplomas in hand. Talked to them for a bit, discussed options.. then gave them the preASVAB.

They.. didn't pass.

I sent them to the Air Force recruiter (we were all buddies) he sent them to the Navy recruiter, who then talked them into "testing for" the Marines. So in the course of about a week, they took the preA 4 times. Not once, I say again, not ONCE did their COMBINED scores reach double digits. (a grad female needed a 31 to enlist at the time for us, 50 for everyone else)

That is horrible.

Taphius
01-24-2013, 23:26

Have him take the EDPT as well.