Buffalo Bore ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bore ammo

KoalKing
08-31-2012, 15:02
Does anyone have any experience with Buffalo Bore ammo? They claim 1300 fps with their 155 GD bullet (40 sw)

G33Man
08-31-2012, 15:18
I have shot and chrono'd several boxes of BB 10mm ammo and while it meets it's FPS claims, the biggest disappointment was the bullet construction. The stuff was explosive....it damn near vaporized the water jugs. The issue? They stopped using Speer Gold Dots bullets and it showed. Every bullet that I recovered had complete core and jacket separation. Sometimes the separation started before it made it thru a single jug of water.

BB admitted that they have not been able to obtain Speer Gold Dot bullets on a consistent basis so they have had to substitute.

This was typical of what I found:
http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/Buffalo-Bore-180-JHP-5/1130446579_EDWsZ-L.jpg

cowboywannabe
08-31-2012, 15:54
it is the real deal, but twice the cost as others which do the same.....

M 7
08-31-2012, 16:33
I have shot and chrono'd several boxes of BB 10mm ammo and while it meets it's FPS claims, the biggest disappointment was the bullet construction. The stuff was explosive....it damn near vaporized the water jugs. The issue? They stopped using Speer Gold Dots bullets and it show. Every bullet that I recovered had complete core and jacket separation. Sometimes the separation started before it made it thru a single jug of water.

BB admitted that they have not been able to obtain Speer Gold Dot bullets on a consistent basis so they have had to substitute.

This was typical of what I found:
http://brainonsigs.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/Buffalo-Bore-180-JHP-5/1130446579_EDWsZ-L.jpg

Well, it's not a bonded bullet, that's for sure! :shocked:

9mm +p+
08-31-2012, 16:43
I'm no fan of the owner, but the BB ammo that I have used in the past before the bullet change was good stuff. Now with the elcheapo bullets, no way I'd use it.

M 7
08-31-2012, 17:50
No doubt. If you are gonna pay "bonded" prices, you should get "bonded" bullets.

Trigger Finger
08-31-2012, 18:44
I don't like the owner of Buf Bore but I have found their velocity figures to be spot on. Yes, very Accurate. Any Buf Bore ammo I use I buy through Midway, cheaper and I like Midway way way more than dealing with the Buf Bore AHs. But as far as money, you can never spend too much to protect yourself and loved ones and you are not going to shoot it all that much!

Underwood is just as good and cheaper. Check Underwood 40 cal +P.

Berto
08-31-2012, 18:47
I love their .38sp stuff, best out there.

unit1069
08-31-2012, 19:43
I'm no fan of the owner, but the BB ammo that I have used in the past before the bullet change was good stuff. Now with the elcheapo bullets, no way I'd use it.

That's the risk with boutique ammos. Every one of them seems to start out strong with specifically proven bullet designs only to have that supply either dry up or changed.

Underwood from what I can tell still has quality components but who knows how long that will last.

G33Man
09-01-2012, 04:43
That's the risk with boutique ammos. Every one of them seems to start out strong with specifically proven bullet designs only to have that supply either dry up or changed.

Underwood from what I can tell still has quality components but who knows how long that will last.

Excellent point. The issue I had with Buffalo Bore is that they made the change (for whatever reason) and never posted it on their webpage or during the ordering cycle.

I am a big fan of Hornady's XTP JHP bullet (and the Speer Gold Dot). I have shot (and recovered) these bullets thru just about every type of material I can think of. I am always impressed with the consistency of the expansion and the recovered bullet weight.

Hopefully Underwood will be able to obtain well constructed bullets on a consistent basis and more importantly notify the consumer if they cannot.

ddss33
09-01-2012, 05:31
I had a squib round .380 with Buffalo Bore. The owner claimed that it was impossible coming from them and out of the millions of rounds they have made they have never had a squib. He wanted me to send him my entire gun (on my dime for shipping) for inspection. Um, no thanks.

swinokur
09-01-2012, 06:34
BB=expensive and no GD bullets

Underwood Ammo=GD's and reasonable.

Never had an issue buying 180g JHP 10mm GD's from Underwood at 1300 FPS.

Bye Bye BB.

www.underwoodammo.com

Brucev
09-01-2012, 08:14
Across the board, BB produced excellent ammo that routinely exceeds performance of other manufacturers all w/in SAAMI pressures. If underwood or anyone else can match it, fine. Always good for the consumer to have lots of choices rather than being limited to only a single producer/source.

As to the owner, so what? Doubtless someone doesn't like someone who owns stock or works for one of the large domestic producers. Again, so what?

As to this particular load, if one wants a bonded bullet, etc., look for a buy a bonded bullet. If one expects uniform 100% transparency in advertizing from any manufacturer of any product including ammo, get real. It ain't going to happen.

swinokur
09-01-2012, 08:34
For a period, BB continued to have a picture of a box of ammo showing a GD bullet label when in fact they had switched to Montana Gold bullets. That's a pretty far stretch from transparency. It's deceptive IMO.

Underwood now.

G33Man
09-01-2012, 08:43
For a period, BB continued to have a picture of a box of ammo showing a GD bullet label when in fact they had switched to Montana Gold bullets. That's a pretty far stretch from transparency. It's deceptive IMO.

Underwood now.

Yep...

oldman11
09-01-2012, 08:46
I've seen a couple of posts that say they don't like the owner, but like the ammo. Why don't you like the owner? Not having dealt with them yet, so I was just wondering.

PghJim
09-01-2012, 10:37
The GD 155gr with hold together at 1,300fps and the 165gr will hold togther at 1,400fps, which is on the edge for both and depends greatly on the presence of clothing first.