P226: Why so expensive? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : P226: Why so expensive?

AKRover
09-01-2012, 16:19
I'm new to Sigs and I can't quite see what it is that makes the P226 worth so much more than a Glock or other similar pistol.

I was talking to a friend that used to be a cop that traded his P226 for a Dan Wesson 44 revolver. I was surprised that they were that valuable even used.

I'm getting a Sig 1911 Extreme. I know Sig makes quality firearms but what makes the P226 so much better?

klmmicro
09-01-2012, 16:31
I think one of the reasons is the collectable value of the model at present. It is supposedly the arm that killed Bin Laden and it is issued to SEAL teams. I have a friend who retired from NSW and he owns one. Looking at it, I see no real difference from any other SIG arm in terms of quality or function. Fine arm, but it is still just a 9mm semi-auto full sized pistol.

I think that the hype and mystique of the model with eventually die down. Maybe then there will be a few used ones to be found at reasonable prices, if you are so inclined as to have to have one.

glock_collector
09-02-2012, 15:10
Sig charges ya upfront to help defer warranty costs...(throw now!!!)

phalanxr
09-02-2012, 23:09
I bought a Sig p226 E2 basic model, spent $40 on an SRT trigger kit and bruce guns practical upgrade kit...

Less than $800 total, shoots as good as my TRP 1911

Snowman92D
09-02-2012, 23:43
I think one of the reasons is the collectable value of the model at present. It is supposedly the arm that killed Bin Laden and it is issued to SEAL teams.

I guess I live so far back in the woods that they gotta pipe in the sunshine, so I hadn't heard that any sort of handgun was involved. Sound pretty interesting, though. Could you fill me in, or steer me to a source where I can learn more?

DonGlock26
09-03-2012, 15:31
The main reason is the machined high grade aluminum alloy. The machining is complex. Polymer is easy to make frames with. I suggest looking at a Sig SP2022. It is everything that a classic Sig is with the advantages of a poly frame at a price around $400.

Comedian
09-03-2012, 19:36
You can get a certified pre owned Sig for around $600. Look on Gunbroker.

jlruiz32
09-03-2012, 19:54
I got my P226 cpo off Guns america for $550. It's W. German model with matching serial numbers. It's a beautiful handgun and shoots great. I also got a sp 2022 recently and its every bit as accurate as my P226.

AKRover
09-03-2012, 22:21
Thanks for the info. Not really in the market right now so this was purely out of curiosity. Always hear good things about Sig P226s

bac1023
09-05-2012, 20:10
I'd look for an older German model on Gunbroker.

I can't stand the new models built in the USA. I don't like anything Sig builds here.

JTBTACTICAL
09-06-2012, 16:43
We have the Certified pre-owned P226 on sale right now for $599 :wavey:

http://jtbtactical.com/Sig-Sauer-P226-CPO-20120092.htm

fowler
09-10-2012, 18:37
The 226 is the finest 9mm combat pistol made today bare none. Second place is the Glock 17 and Browning Hi-power tied.

Pier23
09-10-2012, 18:56
I am new to Sigs myself, but have ended up with 3 P220s and a .40 P226...

For good or ill, there are more parts to a Sig compared to a Glock, which famously has 36 parts.

Also as noted, machining metal costs more than polymer.

Finally is the name.

Having said that, the Sigs I have just plain FIT me. The Glocks are fine tools, very accurate and reliable. Hickok45 blasts Glocks out to 280 yards and hits an 8" plate with the Glock 23...

But...the Sigs to me just feel right.

Yankee2718
09-13-2012, 15:33
The 226 is the finest 9mm combat pistol made today bare none. Second place is the Glock 17 and Browning Hi-power tied.

I think it's a toss up. I have a P229 in .40 and it's a nice gun, but it's been high maintenance ever since I bought it. Granted it was used. I always try to move away from Glock but the darn things just work. I personally don't think that Sigs are worth their price.

Nice guns, not worth $800+
Glock got-r-done at half the price. At the end of the day both do the same thing. Launch a metallic projectile out a steel tube. A true shooter will be able to adapt to any weapon system and use it with enough proficiency to be able to do the job.

jlruiz32
09-17-2012, 16:11
Here are some P226 and P229 9mm CPOs. With night sites for less than $600.
http://www.patelsrepair.com/D/catalog/52

silversport
09-18-2012, 04:37
he's a good guy to buy from too...very helpful...

Bill

Pier23
09-18-2012, 18:39
Glock got-r-done at half the price. At the end of the day both do the same thing. Launch a metallic projectile out a steel tube. A true shooter will be able to adapt to any weapon system and use it with enough proficiency to be able to do the job.

i guess as with most things...you can drive a Corolla or an Acura TLX. Both get you to your destination, but one mode is more enjoyable than the other.

tango44
09-19-2012, 17:26
$600 for a used gun, no thank you, please make mine a Glock.

Brian Brazier
09-21-2012, 19:59
Sig's do cost more than a Beretta or CZ, but people are willing to pay cause they know they are buying a quality product, and they hold their value. I have never had to send a Sig in for anything, but I have needed replacement parts a couple times and they have never charged me for them. Polymer guns are great, if thats what you want, personally the only polymer gun I will ever own is my LCP. I perfer steel and or aluminum framed handguns, and after having a Glock blow up right next me, I will never own a Glock, I dont trust them and never will. But thats me everyones different, if you want a Sig like others have pointed out the CPO is a great way to go, I have a CPO P226, and it is a very solid shooter. If the cost of a new one is to high, you may want to look at the CZ 75 or Beretta 92, if your looking for a steel gun.

The Highlander
09-27-2012, 09:18
I compete with Glocks, love them, trust them enough to carry. They are relatively inexpensive to buy and maintain. But, I typically carry either a SIG P220 or SIG 1911 Scorpion. In all fairness, my Glocks are set up for competition with light triggers and so forth, and I carried the same 2-pin G17 daily for years until it became a range queen. Still carry it now and then.

My SIG's are all tack-drivers. I have an old German 225 that is so accurate it is scary. I bought it as a summer carry and classic carry for BBQ's but it is so amazingly accurate it has become a safe queen. Doesn't hurt that it still looks showroom new.

If I had to get down to only one, it would probably be my 220 Elite, with its .22lr conversion kit for flexibility.

Glocks are Chevrolets, SIG's are Cadillacs. And I mean that with all due respect to each brand. You really can't go wrong.

Fordtough25
09-27-2012, 09:28
I held off from buying a Sig for years, always wanted to try a P226 but chose to enjoy my Glocks. Well I bought a new P226 earlier this year finally for ($820), man that is a fine handling and shooting firearm! Still love my Glock's but that P226 kicks butt!! And it was made here in the USA and works great!

MNGLOCK
09-27-2012, 19:28
Just got a 226 SRT, SigNightSights, Aluminum grips all for $663 from Buds.

Brian Brazier
09-27-2012, 19:47
Just got a 226 SRT, SigNightSights, Aluminum grips all for $663 from Buds.

Thats a sweet deal, I sold one just like that minus the aluminum grips, the SRT is great

ozy
10-04-2012, 10:34
have had way too many pistols that i care to admit, but the one/s that really impressed me immensly have the sigs. quality thru and thru and great shooters. took a bit of an adjustment, and further training, stepping off the glocks' platform, but the sigs are just great pistols.

Pier23
10-04-2012, 17:30
have had way too many pistols that i care to admit, but the one/s that really impressed me immensly have the sigs. quality thru and thru and great shooters. took a bit of an adjustment, and further training, stepping off the glocks' platform, but the sigs are just great pistols.

And the thing for me is, I really, REALLY want to love my , but they just dont feel right to me. They are great tools, I am confident each and every one I have will go bang when desired...just not attached to them...

jbglock
10-04-2012, 19:55

Pure opinion. I can shoot the Glock accurately with a lot less effort. I can shoot a 226 as accurately but a lot slower. Which is best is a matter of opinion. Which is overpriced is not. I still remember when the 226 was higher than a Glock but still reasonably priced.

dpadams6
10-14-2012, 09:57
I'm new to Sigs and I can't quite see what it is that makes the P226 worth so much more than a Glock or other similar pistol.

I was talking to a friend that used to be a cop that traded his P226 for a Dan Wesson 44 revolver. I was surprised that they were that valuable even used.

I'm getting a Sig 1911 Extreme. I know Sig makes quality firearms but what makes the P226 so much better?
Just take apart a sig and glock and compare parts. You will find the answer.

jbglock
10-14-2012, 15:09
Sure. Take apart any Sig P220 or 226 and see all those machine marks you aren't used to seeing in a Glock and you'll really wonder why you paid extra. :rofl:

Clutch Cargo
10-14-2012, 16:29
Polymer guns are less expensive to make than metal guns. That said, why did my HK cost so much?

Infallible
11-02-2012, 20:37
Sure. Take apart any Sig P220 or 226 and see all those machine marks you aren't used to seeing in a Glock and you'll really wonder why you paid extra. :rofl:

not much machining in plastic injected mouldings, but of course most people who understand such things know this.

FWIW I own 5 Glocks and 2 Sigs. As others have said, holding and shooting the Sigs, it just feels like quality. I enjoy owning and shooting psitols that firearm enthusiasts know and not one that is the Honda civic of the shooting world.

taters
11-02-2012, 21:43
My sig p220 is the most accurate handgun I've ever fired.
Love a single action pistol. Also tritium night sights. Plus I saw an hour program on how the sigs are made in the factory very impressive. I also have a p229. And lastly a glock 36.

Gary1911A1
11-03-2012, 04:01
I'd like to have a 226 myself. About the best price is some CPOs' I've seen on GunBroker.com at around $600. Every time I seem to get ahead on bills something else seems to go wrong. Maybe I'll treat myself at Xmas.

JTBTACTICAL
11-03-2012, 10:37
I'd like to have a 226 myself. About the best price is some CPOs' I've seen on GunBroker.com at around $600. Every time I seem to get ahead on bills something else seems to go wrong. Maybe I'll treat myself at Xmas.

:wavey: We have them for $610 and glocktalk members always receive free shipping!

thinkfast
11-06-2012, 22:45
As was mentioned, the intricate machining of high-grade aluminum is the main cost difference. The lockwork of the double action/decocker is a lot more intricate than the glock trigger design, too. I've also heard it said that traditional cut rifling like Sig barrels have is more expensive to cut than Glock's polygonal rifling. And it seems like there are more Sigs on dealer shelves wearing night sights than Glocks.

Next thing you know you're 250.00-300.00 more than Glock. But if you drop 150.00 on an aftermarket Glock barrel so you can shoot lead bullets, and throw on a set of Trijicons for 100-ish, the gap starts to narrow quickly.

It's so easy to tinker with and "upgrade" Glocks that it can be cheaper to buy a Sig!

jbglock
11-07-2012, 10:15
As was mentioned, the intricate machining of high-grade aluminum is the main cost difference. The lockwork of the double action/decocker is a lot more intricate than the glock trigger design, too. I've also heard it said that traditional cut rifling like Sig barrels have is more expensive to cut than Glock's polygonal rifling. And it seems like there are more Sigs on dealer shelves wearing night sights than Glocks.

Have you ever run a CNC milling machine? It is actually pretty cheap to get set up to run aluminum frames vs. the mold required to do a polymer frame. Ongoing costs also favor CNC milling.

Traditional cut rifling (a broach) is more expensive than hammer forged polygonal rifling? You need to research that a bit more.

Even with both having night sights the cost of one vs. the other is more than can be accounted for unless you think of the economies of scale.

Next thing you know you're 250.00-300.00 more than Glock. But if you drop 150.00 on an aftermarket Glock barrel so you can shoot lead bullets, and throw on a set of Trijicons for 100-ish, the gap starts to narrow quickly.

I spent years shooting lead through a 23 and 23C barrel and other than some extra cleaning never had a problem. Same for a Sig with lead bullets. No problems other than extra cleaning.

It's so easy to tinker with and "upgrade" Glocks that it can be cheaper to buy a Sig!

Let's really think about that. If you leave your Sig stock and spend a ton upgrading a Sig then in the end the Sig will be cheaper? Did you really think about that before writing it? Lets say the Glock is left stock. Now what? :rofl:

Wake_jumper
11-07-2012, 10:28
The same reason a BMW costs more than a Chevy.

kodiakpb
11-07-2012, 21:30
I just won a 226 combat TB off GB. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Infallible
11-07-2012, 22:38
Have you ever run a CNC milling machine? It is actually pretty cheap to get set up to run aluminum frames vs. the mold required to do a polymer frame. Ongoing costs also favor CNC milling.

Initial buy of the mold is expensive, after that its nothing but material cost. In machining aluminum you still have tooling requirements and not to mention having to have an actual operator inspecting the parts as tooling wears and the metal heats up from the cutting and coolant temps rising.

What do I know about CNC maching? Well lets see I know how to program Fanuc and G-Code, and my family's machine shop had 4 CNC VMC workstations with the smallest one being Tree 1260. Our largest machine being a CNC Daewoo Boring bar (this was a Horizontal obviously). I worked there when I was younger after I had just got out of the USAF.

We machined everything from paper plant machine manufacturing to aircraft spars to trucks for Oshkosh trucking to ship building to plastic injected molded frames for various projects. In other words, I've machined just about every type of steel aluminum brass bronze micarta plastic etc etc and know that aluminum is harder and more costly than plastic. Do you know that different types of aluminums are different to machine as well? You can not machine 7075 like can a 6061. You can cnc plastic as well and its even faster and more cost effective. I think I probably know more than you in this field.

Of course you also forget or possibly did not know about the treating of the aluminum frames in the first place versus the plastic frame of a Glock. There are other costs involved.

Traditional cut rifling (a broach) is more expensive than hammer forged polygonal rifling? You need to research that a bit more.

Again initial buy is the only expense. There was a reason why the Germans had made polygonal barrels for the mg42 during ww2. Since you didn't offer, I'll tell you, its because it was cheaper and easier and faster to manufacture. Polygonal rifling has been around since rifling itself, its not a new process. If it was the intricate ground breaking expensive technology you falsely preceived it to be, the Russians wouldn't have been churing out millions upon millions of AK47s for dirt cheap prices now would they?

Even with both having night sights the cost of one vs. the other is more than can be accounted for unless you think of the economies of scale.
I'm not sure what you think you're intending by this statement, but its probably not what you think it is. You're wrong.

Let's really think about that. If you leave your Sig stock and spend a ton upgrading a Sig then in the end the Sig will be cheaper? Did you really think about that before writing it? Lets say the Glock is left stock. Now what? :rofl:

Now what? I still have my Sigs and Glocks and can afford and appreciate both for what they are. Instead of trolling the Sig forums with your apparent outright jealousy, how about learning to act like a gentlemen isntead of a consumate ass?

Infallible
11-07-2012, 22:41
I just won a 226 combat TB off GB. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Its a fine pistol like most Sigs. It won't make you coffee in the morning or drive you to work but it will be a fine firearm.

kodiakpb
11-07-2012, 22:57
Its a fine pistol like most Sigs. It won't make you coffee in the morning or drive you to work but it will be a fine firearm.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. I got it at below IOP pricing NIB so I think I got a good deal.