650 priming [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 650 priming

shotgunred
09-01-2012, 20:27
I sit down to load today and the press is binding. After looking thing over I figure out that the priming system is not working. I take it all apart and can't see anything out of place. I put it back together and it seems to be working fine. I put it back in the press and it works by hand. Load up some primers and it binds back up. I then did the same thing again. By the time the third primer is in the system its binding up again.

Has anyone else had similar a problem or know a solution?

unclebob
09-01-2012, 20:45
Did you take the primer assembly all apart? Do you have the right primer magazine installed? Without any primers in the magazine operating the handle does the primer mechanism work or is it still binding? Do you have the handle a little forward,(handle towards you) when trying to advance the primers?

Colorado4Wheel
09-01-2012, 20:45
How is it binding?

unclebob
09-01-2012, 20:47
Also make sure the primer punch is flush and not sticking up a little.

shotgunred
09-01-2012, 21:11
I took it completely apart.
I put it back together and it works fine until I put primers in it. then after a couple of primers the disk binds and and will not rotate, this of course binds up the whole press.
I double checked that it was the small disk. I don't use the large one.

Boxerglocker
09-01-2012, 21:27
Mike, Have you lubed the primer wheel lately? Make sure the knurled funnel nut that hold the primer magazine tube down in the blast tube is just barely snug. Also check if the brass end of the tube, may have burrs.

unclebob
09-02-2012, 01:26
You do have the small primer magazine tube installed? Itís jamming up when you try and manually try to advance the primers or using the press to advance the primers. Everything works fine when you have no primers installed. Both using the press and manually advancing the primer disk? If it works fine both ways? I would say you donít have the primer magazine installed or you have the wrong primer magazine installed. Or the brass it is not down in the hole all the way. Either the primer punch is sticking up a little or you have something installed wrong.

WiskyT
09-02-2012, 05:29
http://www.titanreloading.com/image/data/D2g/pro1000.jpg

unclebob
09-02-2012, 06:40

Nice picture of a small boat anchor.:supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2012, 08:08
I put it back together and it works fine until I put primers in it. then after a couple of primers the disk binds and and will not rotate, this of course binds up the whole press.

So if you try and push it by hand on the lever it won't move?

Did you put on a new tip?
Polish the wheel to remove any burrs? The lever can cause a burr on the wheel.

Otherwise call Dillon as I have no clue. I will be curious as to what you find.

F106 Fan
09-02-2012, 08:21

Does this happen with one brand of primer and perhaps not with another?

I bought a case of Tula .223 primers and I'm not impressed with the way the anvil doesn't stay inside the cup. They haven't jammed my 650 (yet!) but I could see where they might be a problem.

Richard

shotgunred
09-02-2012, 08:22
As long as there are no primers in the primers the disk it works fine. After I put primers in the tube and start to operate the priming system after a few primers it jams up tight and i cannot operate it by hand or by the machine.
When I run my finger over the disk I can tell which side it was pressed from so today I will clean it up and polish it. I have been getting a few mangled primers now and then so I am begging to think that I need a new primer disk.

If I don't figure it out by Tuesday then I will call Dillon.

unclebob
09-02-2012, 10:34
Are you using the right size primer magazine? Itís the tube that goes inside primer assembly. Itís the tube with the brass tip on the end. If you donít have it installed or are using the wrong one it will jam things up.

unclebob
09-17-2012, 17:46
So what did you find that was wrong?

fredj338
09-17-2012, 18:20
Nice picture of a small boat anchor.:supergrin:

Not even that, too light for a good boat anchor.:tongueout:

shotgunred
09-17-2012, 21:50
So what did you find that was wrong?

Sorry nothing yet. My dad has spent the last 12 days in the ICU so I totally forgot to deal with it.

Colorado4Wheel
09-17-2012, 22:15
Thoughts and prayers are with you both.

shotgunred
09-18-2012, 06:04
Thank you.

unclebob
09-18-2012, 06:55
Our thoughts and prayers are with you also.

WiskyT
09-18-2012, 14:39
Sorry about your father.

marvin
09-18-2012, 23:23
sorry i can't use a computer very well

marvin
09-18-2012, 23:24

that's just wrong:rofl:

WiskyT
09-19-2012, 03:50
that's just wrong:rofl:

There's a thread about a 550 priming problem I haven't read yet. I'm going to head over there and see if I can cut and paste this into that one too.

Colorado4Wheel
09-19-2012, 07:57
The difference is Dillon priming problems are fixable by a meir mortal.

mogollon
09-19-2012, 09:06
Check and be sure sure the primer seater punch is not protruding above the face of the bushing when removed from the machine, and that it is threaded tight up into the underside of the platform. Also, look for a burr in the primer feed body above the primer disc. The disc will need to be removed to inspect this.

WiskyT
09-19-2012, 19:10
The difference is Dillon priming problems are fixable by a meir mortal.

I guess that makes me Superman since I have powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal man.

shotgunred
09-29-2012, 22:16
Thanks everyone for their thoughts and prayers. My dad was moved from the ICU to ltac. The idots there didn't have the proper bipap mask for him. Rather than get the right one or send him back to the ICU they let him lay there and asphyxiate and code. Thankfully the ambulance crew was able to revive him. He is now back in the ICU. I think that his stubborn streak and thoughts and prayers are all that is keeping him alive.

Colorado4Wheel
10-01-2012, 22:35
Wow. Keep up the fight. I know it's hard.