Need help! 9MM case stuck in sizing die..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help! 9MM case stuck in sizing die.....

Fire_Medic
09-02-2012, 09:24
I have been researching online, and I just don't have the time right now to order a kit to resolve my issue.

I use Redding Pro Series Tungsten/carbide dies on my Dillon 550B. I have NEVER had an issue like this in the years I have been reloading.

I have a 9MM case stuck in the sizing die. I removed the pin from it and tried tapping it out with a hammer and a screwdriver and it just won't budge, the screwdriver was tearing up the primer hole is all.

I just starting a reloading session and this was the 3rd case. The brass was clean. I do not use lube because the material of my dies.

I needed to load some 600 rounds or so today as I need to leave out of town for a handgun class tomorrow thru Wednesday.

I do not want to damage my die, they're not cheap, lol.

I have the die in the freezer right now, found an old thread where someone said the brass will shrink enough to fall out if you toss it in the freezer for an hour or so, got nothing else right now. I really do not want to have to go buy 700 rounds or so of 9MM ammo when I have so much in reloading supplies on hand.

Would appreciate any help here.

Thanks
FM

labdwakin
09-02-2012, 09:48
Try using a punch just big enough to fit through the top of the die where you removed the depriming rod. That's what I've had to do in the past and it worked okay. HIT IT WITH YOUR PURSE, ALICE!!!

Fire_Medic
09-02-2012, 09:50
Try using a punch just big enough to fit through the top of the die where you removed the depriming rod. That's what I've had to do in the past and it worked okay. HIT IT WITH YOUR PURSE, ALICE!!!

LMAO, well as my luck would have it I have a punch slightly smaller and one slightly bigger. I do not want to ruin the die. Will most likely be going to Lowe's in a bit.

Thanks

DoctaGlockta
09-02-2012, 09:50
This >> Try using a punch just big enough to fit through the top of the die where you removed the depriming rod. That's what I've had to do in the past and it worked okay. HIT IT WITH YOUR PURSE, ALICE!!!

Fire_Medic
09-02-2012, 10:03
Freezer trick did it. About a half hour in the freezer, then it came right out hitting the screwdriver with the hammer.

Thanks

WiskyT
09-02-2012, 10:21
Freezer trick did it. About a half hour in the freezer, then it came right out hitting the screwdriver with the hammer.

Thanks

I've never heard of pistol cases sticking in a carbide die. I wonder if it has a rough finish to it. Since you need to load right now, I would get some lemon Pledge and give a light spray to half the cases. Then mix them together with your whole batch. It won't hurt anything, will make sizing easier, and might help preventing another stuck case five minutes from now.

I would contact Redding and see what they have to say once the holiday weekend is over. Assuming the stuck case was regular brass, it shouldn't have stuck in the first place.

It may be hard to tell now since the case is probably torn up, but could the rim have been defective? Maybe the rim was malformed and couldn't be held by the shell holder rather than the case itself being "stuck".

I'm glad you got it out and hopefully I'll remember the freezer trick if I ever get one stuck.

fredj338
09-02-2012, 11:49
I've never heard of pistol cases sticking in a carbide die. .

Was this a new die? If so, did you give it a good cleaning? I have loaded on just about every manuf carbide dies, never use case lube, never even came close to getting a case stuck. The correct tool is a stuck case remover from any manuf. It easily removes a stuck case in the time it takes to setup the the offending die, worth the small investment. I have stuck rifle cases several times, never fun.:crying:

Boxerglocker
09-02-2012, 12:05
Next trip to the hardware store... pick up a long 10-32 tap and correct sized drill bit... a long threaded bolt and some washers... using a couple of small sockets from your tool box you'll have a stuck case extractor kit at your ready.

Hoser
09-02-2012, 19:43
Dont forget to get a can or two of Hornady One Shot.

shotgunred
09-02-2012, 20:00
Next trip to the hardware store... pick up a long 10-32 tap and correct sized drill bit... a long threaded bolt and some washers... using a couple of small sockets from your tool box you'll have a stuck case extractor kit at your ready.

This is what I do also.

rivardj
09-03-2012, 07:33
Fire_Medic,

Was this a nickle plated case?

I found that nickle plated cases need to be lubed even in carbide dies.

ROGER4314
09-03-2012, 11:54
I have a knack for pulling the rims off of .223 cases so I invested in the RCBS stuck case remover kit at Midway for $18. It works like a charm and I keep it in a Bandaid can in my reloading tool box. I could have put something together myself as I have plenty of taps and drills but it was simply easier to order the kit. It was money well spent!

The RCBS kit uses a 1/4-20 tap.

Flash

Fire_Medic
09-07-2012, 10:13
Instead of responding individually to you guys I will just write one response here.

I apologize for the delay but I was out of town for a handgun class, which I enjoyed and learned a lot from.

After clearing the stuck case, it happened to me 2 more times in the course of loading the rest of the ammo I needed to. I have NEVER had a stuck case before in about 4 years of loading pistol cases, and then in one loading session I got three? This was not only unusual for me, but extremely frustrating to say the least. I am using carbide dies, they are far from new and have loaded thousands of rounds. It has been about 5K rounds or so since I last cleaned the dies.

I do not know where to go from here, the cases that got stuck were all brass no nickel. After the third case was freed up and I continued to load the ammo I needed, I could hear some what of a squeaking noise if you will as the brass entered the sizing die. I know 100% this is where the noise was coming from because I did one round at a time numerous times to try and narrow it down and it only happened when the brass was in station one (sizing die). It was the sound of friction if you will, don't know how else to explain it. I have never used lube on my brass because I have always had carbide dies, so while yes putting lube on the brass might solve the issue at hand, I need to figure out why this is happening all of a sudden with dies that I have used before with no need for case lube.

I do appreciate all of the responses, and would appreciate any more ideas here. Will go and get the necessary stuff from the hardware store, but I need to figure out what the hell is going on. And FYI, I did clean the die after each case was stuck. This has boggled my mind, and the fact that it happened two more times after the first is really strange to me. Nothing was different on my machine, except I was using brass I got from someone on the net which came processed and cleaned. I have done this before and not had issue. None of the brass in this batch seems to be bulged out or anything, everything looks like it always does.........

Thanks
FM

Fire_Medic
09-07-2012, 10:15
I've never heard of pistol cases sticking in a carbide die. I wonder if it has a rough finish to it. Since you need to load right now, I would get some lemon Pledge and give a light spray to half the cases. Then mix them together with your whole batch. It won't hurt anything, will make sizing easier, and might help preventing another stuck case five minutes from now.

I would contact Redding and see what they have to say once the holiday weekend is over. Assuming the stuck case was regular brass, it shouldn't have stuck in the first place.

It may be hard to tell now since the case is probably torn up, but could the rim have been defective? Maybe the rim was malformed and couldn't be held by the shell holder rather than the case itself being "stuck".

I'm glad you got it out and hopefully I'll remember the freezer trick if I ever get one stuck.

On all three the rime was chewed up a bit after but I cannot say if it was from before being sized, or from after trying to size it and it got stuck, and the shell plate just came down without the case.

Like you stated I have never had this happen before and I have always used Carbide dies.

F106 Fan
09-07-2012, 10:29
It could be that some of the brass was from an extremely large chamber and somewhat larger in diameter than what you have seen before. But I doubt it...

Just use Hornady One Shot lube and be done with it. It doesn't have to be removed from the finished round but you can tumble them after reloading if desired.

I have always used carbide dies and I have never had a stuck pistol case but once I tried HOS, I was sold. I will never again load pistol rounds without HOS. It makes the process smooth and keeps the wear and tear on me and the press to a minimum.

Richard

WiskyT
09-07-2012, 16:54
Instead of responding individually to you guys I will just write one response here.

I apologize for the delay but I was out of town for a handgun class, which I enjoyed and learned a lot from.

After clearing the stuck case, it happened to me 2 more times in the course of loading the rest of the ammo I needed to. I have NEVER had a stuck case before in about 4 years of loading pistol cases, and then in one loading session I got three? This was not only unusual for me, but extremely frustrating to say the least. I am using carbide dies, they are far from new and have loaded thousands of rounds. It has been about 5K rounds or so since I last cleaned the dies.

I do not know where to go from here, the cases that got stuck were all brass no nickel. After the third case was freed up and I continued to load the ammo I needed, I could hear some what of a squeaking noise if you will as the brass entered the sizing die. I know 100% this is where the noise was coming from because I did one round at a time numerous times to try and narrow it down and it only happened when the brass was in station one (sizing die). It was the sound of friction if you will, don't know how else to explain it. I have never used lube on my brass because I have always had carbide dies, so while yes putting lube on the brass might solve the issue at hand, I need to figure out why this is happening all of a sudden with dies that I have used before with no need for case lube.

I do appreciate all of the responses, and would appreciate any more ideas here. Will go and get the necessary stuff from the hardware store, but I need to figure out what the hell is going on. And FYI, I did clean the die after each case was stuck. This has boggled my mind, and the fact that it happened two more times after the first is really strange to me. Nothing was different on my machine, except I was using brass I got from someone on the net which came processed and cleaned. I have done this before and not had issue. None of the brass in this batch seems to be bulged out or anything, everything looks like it always does.........

Thanks
FM

I'm thinking it's the cleanliness of the brass. The guy who processed that brass probably used some solvent in the tumbler to speed things up. This left the cases spotlessly clean and bone dry. Normally, cases will have some level of oil on them, even if it's from being handled with bare hands. Try sizing those same cases after they have been fired (without cleaning them). Fired brass has a light coating of carbon left on it that acts as a lube. Alternatively, take a case from your old brass stash and get it squeaky clean with some brakecleaner and a rag. Try sizing that one and see if it sticks. I bet it will.

PCJim
09-07-2012, 21:46
FM, let me know if you still need some help.

sourdough44
09-08-2012, 05:19
One can assume the brass & dies was/is clean.

It is known you don't NEED case lube with carbide pistol dies, doesn't mean you can't use a bit every 5th case or so.

unclebob
09-08-2012, 06:02
Run a magnet over those cases.

VN350X10
09-09-2012, 14:23
unclebob, your thinking is along the same lines as mine !
I have seen brass PLATED cases of foreign mfgr. in the past.
Not common, but very posible in a batch of commercially processed brass.

To the O.P. :
Were all of the cases that got stuck in the die the same headstamp ?
If so, what were they ?

uncle albert

Fire_Medic
09-10-2012, 20:25
unclebob, your thinking is along the same lines as mine !
I have seen brass PLATED cases of foreign mfgr. in the past.
Not common, but very posible in a batch of commercially processed brass.

To the O.P. :
Were all of the cases that got stuck in the die the same headstamp ?
If so, what were they ?

uncle albert

I will double check tomorrow and report back. I'm thinking it's what was mentioned before about the cases being cleaned with something that dried them up too much.

Fire_Medic
09-10-2012, 20:26
FM, let me know if you still need some help.

Let me know when you have some free time, maybe you can swing by and I can have a second set of eyes on things.

We can make a range day out of it.