Guide Rod, Recoil Spring Swap Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guide Rod, Recoil Spring Swap Question

Vitals
09-02-2012, 11:53
So I had a few failure to eject rounds yesterday and I am considering making to swap that so many have suggested in regards to a steel guide rod and a heavier recoil spring.

I've done some shopping around but I'm a little clueless on what the good buys are and what my options are. Most seem to go with lone wolf so I'm guessing that's a good product? Also... am I limited to the recoil spring specifically for the gen3 or will the dual spring system of the gen4 work?

All recommendations are appreciated...thanks

_The_Shadow
09-02-2012, 14:29
Vitals, you are having failures to eject???
I would need to hear more about the ammo being used!
I would be looking at the extractor and spring for damage or wear. The fired cases should be pulled from the chamber if there is sufficient recoil produced to extract a casing. Recoil springs can be so strong that ejection doesn't occur but it would be very tought to rack the slide.

What Gun and Model (also barrel if not stock) are you dealing with?
What ammo or load are causing issues?

Taterhead
09-02-2012, 14:43
I echo Shadow's questions. It is actually Wolff that a lot of people use. I have a steel Wolff and 22# guide rod. Switching to that actually caused some FTFs, so I don't use it very often.

I would be curious about the type of load used first to eliminate that as a source of problem.

AZson
09-02-2012, 17:10
I think getting a steal guide rod is a good idea but it may not fix your FTE problem. You might want to find out what is causing it.

Vitals
09-02-2012, 20:35
Thanks guys. I am using Underwood 180gr. I doubt the cause of the two instances where the cases got jammed in the slide where because of any wear or damage. It only happened twice in the beginning and that was it. The gun is super new...only 50 round put through it at the time of the issue and then the next 100 fed through fine. What benefits would going with a SS guide rod but keeping the stock 17lb recoil spring give me? Is Underwood ammo hot enough to need heavier spring?

Ethereal Killer
09-02-2012, 21:23
this thread sounds familiar.... hmmm

If the gun is new then I'd chalk it up to the break in period. all new guns need a little time to wear in a bit even new glocks. I'll also echo Shadows advice about recoil springs. if you are having failure to eject issues then a stronger spring is only gonna make that worse.

was the ejection pattern on the brass erratic or about the same? if some was dribbling out then that would be a clue

My advice is to keep shooting it for another 300+ rounds then report back.

I dont even consider a gun ready to use until I have at least 500-1000 rounds thru it!!

jbglock
09-02-2012, 23:04
Thanks guys. I am using Underwood 180gr. I doubt the cause of the two instances where the cases got jammed in the slide where because of any wear or damage. It only happened twice in the beginning and that was it. The gun is super new...only 50 round put through it at the time of the issue and then the next 100 fed through fine. What benefits would going with a SS guide rod but keeping the stock 17lb recoil spring give me? Is Underwood ammo hot enough to need heavier spring?

I'm guessing this is the 20SF?
1. A stronger spring will not fix this. The exact opposite actually.
2. Sounds like you were limp wristing the gun. It's not uncommon when people encounter a lighter gun than they are used to or are new to a gun. If it only happened twice in the beginning I really wouldn't worry about it.
3. If you ever need a new recoil spring assembly then I'd suggest a new Glock assembly. You only need a lighter or heavier spring for specific things. How long will your factory spring last? I don't know. Ask someone that puts alot of rounds on a 20SF. For a 23C I figured years ago that with the specific load I was using back then around 6000 rounds it would cause me problems if the gun was dirty enough (as in caked in residue) in my 400+ round practice sessions. I'd replace at 2000 to 3000 rounds to be safe.
4. Underwood is still a big question to me as far as them overloading their rounds. Seems no matter how often I ask I get no answer about testing the ammo for pressure. I'd suggest a better known name brand of ammo to start with.

Vitals
09-03-2012, 00:14
Thanks a lot jb.....very helpful stuff. And I hear you in regards to the name brand ammo but Underwood is the best deal I can find right now seemingly and I feel confident in the reputation and customer service. As well as the deal with saving your brass.

Another question though....What would simply changing the guide rod to stainless steel do for me? Keeping the spring weight the same?

Thanks

I'm guessing this is the 20SF?
1. A stronger spring will not fix this. The exact opposite actually.
2. Sounds like you were limp wristing the gun. It's not uncommon when people encounter a lighter gun than they are used to or are new to a gun. If it only happened twice in the beginning I really wouldn't worry about it.
3. If you ever need a new recoil spring assembly then I'd suggest a new Glock assembly. You only need a lighter or heavier spring for specific things. How long will your factory spring last? I don't know. Ask someone that puts alot of rounds on a 20SF. For a 23C I figured years ago that with the specific load I was using back then around 6000 rounds it would cause me problems if the gun was dirty enough (as in caked in residue) in my 400+ round practice sessions. I'd replace at 2000 to 3000 rounds to be safe.
4. Underwood is still a big question to me as far as them overloading their rounds. Seems no matter how often I ask I get no answer about testing the ammo for pressure. I'd suggest a better known name brand of ammo to start with.

jbglock
09-03-2012, 06:43
Thanks a lot jb.....very helpful stuff. And I hear you in regards to the name brand ammo but Underwood is the best deal I can find right now seemingly and I feel confident in the reputation and customer service. As well as the deal with saving your brass.

Another question though....What would simply changing the guide rod to stainless steel do for me? Keeping the spring weight the same?

Thanks
If that is what you do then it won't hurt anything. I suggest Wolff springs.
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5#109
Their springs do outlast Glock springs. If you think you'd like to try different spring weights in the future it doesn't hurt. If you are happy with Underwood that is good. A lot of people on these forums seem to be. The issue I have with them is over a specific 40cal load I feel is unsafe. I haven't researched their 10mm loads as I'm not shooting any at the moment.

Once again not specifically trying to steer you away from them but two other options I'm pretty happy with are...
http://www.sgammo.com/
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/default.aspx