For better or worse... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For better or worse...

Billy_Ray
09-02-2012, 14:47
Well, inspite of so many people suggesting against it, I bought a LNL progressive press. I tried to set it up yesterday but couldn't get the powder measure to work. Specifically the measure only returns 50% when the shell plate is back down. It will return all the way if I take out the metering insert, so I am pretty sure it is related to the friction between the metering insert and the metering housing. I did degrease and add dry lube before attempting to assemble. Has anyone else had this issue? I was planning to take some steel wool to the edge where the metering housing is rubbing on the metering insert.

Any other thoughts on how to address this issue?

Thank you,
Billy Ray

labdwakin
09-02-2012, 14:49

Thank you,
Billy Ray

Get your money back and go buy a Dillon :rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2012, 14:59
Just call Hornady and they will send you parts. Hornady has poor QC it seems and it seems to be getting worse.

Also,

Whatever you do. If the press isn't perfect before your opportunity to return it expires be sure to just cut your losses and send it back. Don't wait till the day after you have a easy return option to give up. It's likely other issues will crop up and I spent 5 months trying to fix it before I got lucky and they took it back.

Billy_Ray
09-02-2012, 15:30
What other issues should I be looking for?

shotgunred
09-02-2012, 15:34
Well, inspite of so many people suggesting against it, I bought a LNL progressive press.

Thank you,
Billy Ray

Yea but you didn't listen to the first set so why would you listen to the second.

I kept mine for 29 days and then returned it so all I was out was shipping.

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2012, 15:39
What other issues should I be looking for?

High primers, hard priming.
Indexing inconsistency
bent retaining springs
rust in the powder drop (inconsistent drops as a result)
all kinds of issues with a casefeeder.
Probably more.

Billy_Ray
09-02-2012, 16:32
Yea but you didn't listen to the first set so why would you listen to the second.

I kept mine for 29 days and then returned it so all I was out was shipping.

That is a fair question.

Based on my interpretation of the feedback here and other people I bought a LNL understanding that it would not operate as quickly or possibly not quite as reliably as a dillon. So this seemed a worthwhile endeavor to buy one and "deal" with issues so that it ran as reliably as can be expected and get the savings both in first cost and in caliber changes.

So I would like to get this press up and running as best as can be expected.

Billy Ray

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2012, 17:11
Saving a couple bucks is simply not worth the hassle. If it works your fine. Otherwise get a Dillon and return the LnL before the time runs out.