This is why people need to reload. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : This is why people need to reload.

EL_NinO619
09-02-2012, 16:34
So they don't have to shoot cheap steel core ammo and put other people in danger.
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/mailgooglecom.jpg

yellowhand
09-02-2012, 16:53
I've been hit by reloads/lead splinters before, happens with any type round fired from time to time, but agree fully with you, people do need to reload.
When O'bama took office, a run on ammo occured and then there was deer season.
I don't hunt, but (had to) reload for over 20 folks from work so they could shoot bambi:wow:
Each had the same "story" "I just buy a box or so every year and use a few to check zero and then blast away what's left after I get my deer!"
We got a lot of firearms owners in the USA, but I some times wonder if they have three rounds a piece to shoot.
Didn't mean to hi-jack your post, apology extended.
Just got me thinking.

WiskyT
09-02-2012, 17:48
What is that, splash from a rock or steel plate? It looks like a piece of the bullet came back at you.

shotgunred
09-02-2012, 18:00
I got hit from a lead bullet rebounding off a steel plate last year. It cut my scalp pretty good.

klmmicro
09-02-2012, 18:18
Have had that happen several times. Dug a few shotgun pellets out as well. Yes, it stings a bit, but is survivable. Good lesson on the importance of safety glasses!

F106 Fan
09-02-2012, 18:58
I got hit from a lead bullet rebounding off a steel plate last year. It cut my scalp pretty good.

Mine went through my Levi's, into my leg and down to the bone. I had to have it removed by an expert. I had to tell a whopping big tale to avoid the gunshot paperwork!

The pellet was teardrop shaped and flew back 50 yards!

Richard

pasky2112
09-02-2012, 19:22
Glad you're Ok, bro!

Taterhead
09-02-2012, 19:45
...and don't shoot steel MGM-type of targets (whirlygigs, dueling trees, spinners, etc.)with hollow points or expect to get a lot of copper splashing back. I found a good buy on Nos JHPs and loaded them for a match. Pulled no less than three pieces of copper out of my abdomen. Superficial wounds, but stings a bit. Plated or cast bullets work better for that.

Wear your impact rated lenses folks!

EL_NinO619
09-03-2012, 00:42
It was at a 25yd indoor range and the guy next to me was blasting away surplus. I know this can happen with lead but I believe steel is more likely. And I never shoot without proper protection for the fear of something this minute causing irreversible damage. Lesson learned, I will stay out doors where its not only healthier but safer..

P.S I stuck a magnet to it when I got home, it jumped to it.

EL_NinO619
09-03-2012, 00:46
Also the funny thing is when it happened I went to the desk and asked for the first aid kit. Guy handed me two tongue depressors and a circle band aid, That about summed up they're first aid kit... Scary if someone ever really needed true first aid kit.

fredj338
09-03-2012, 01:00
Wow, most indoor ranges ban steel core ammo. Guy probably snuck it in. I really hate shooting indoors.

WiskyT
09-03-2012, 06:21
It was at a 25yd indoor range and the guy next to me was blasting away surplus. I know this can happen with lead but I believe steel is more likely. And I never shoot without proper protection for the fear of something this minute causing irreversible damage. Lesson learned, I will stay out doors where its not only healthier but safer..

West Nile virus vs. a little splash...

shotgunred
09-03-2012, 07:29

While it is good that you were able to get it out yourself you still need to treat it and make sure it doesn't get infected. There are to few gun guys in cali. We can't afford to lose any of them.

Boxerglocker
09-03-2012, 08:13
Also the funny thing is when it happened I went to the desk and asked for the first aid kit. Guy handed me two tongue depressors and a circle band aid, That about summed up they're first aid kit... Scary if someone ever really needed true first aid kit.

This pisses me off more than anything else in your scenario. :steamed: The total irresponsibility if range owners not to be prepared.
There are a couple of ranges I will not go to anymore specifically for this reason. Our club range keeps a reasonably stocked first aide on site. Additionally a number of our various discipline volunteer range safety officers carry first aide kits in their range bags.
I always have access to 2 kits one in my range bag and another in the trunk. In addition to the standard first aid supplies in my range bag kit. I have gun shot trauma kit with tourniquet, Israel bandages of various sizes and blood clotting agent. It wasn't cheap to get this stuff to just sit in your range bag, but to me well worth it.
All day shooting "Range Days" are a regular pastime event for me and my family. I educate and train my sons to be safe and responsible but accidents can always happen when you least expect them. I chose to be well prepared.

SARDG
09-03-2012, 09:30
This pisses me off more than anything else in your scenario. :steamed: The total irresponsibility if range owners not to be prepared. ..

I always have access to 2 kits one in my range bag and another in the trunk. In addition to the standard first aid supplies in my range bag kit. I have gun shot trauma kit with tourniquet, Israel bandages of various sizes and blood clotting agent. It wasn't cheap to get this stuff to just sit in your range bag, but to me well worth it...
Same bag I carry in my truck - a complete EMT bag with clotting agent. And I RO everywhere so stay current in first aid, CPR, AED. I figure if I'm prepared enough, I'll likely never need the bag or the skills... :)

EL_NinO619
09-03-2012, 13:04
This pisses me off more than anything else in your scenario. :steamed: The total irresponsibility if range owners not to be prepared.
There are a couple of ranges I will not go to anymore specifically for this reason. Our club range keeps a reasonably stocked first aide on site. Additionally a number of our various discipline volunteer range safety officers carry first aide kits in their range bags.
I always have access to 2 kits one in my range bag and another in the trunk. In addition to the standard first aid supplies in my range bag kit. I have gun shot trauma kit with tourniquet, Israel bandages of various sizes and blood clotting agent. It wasn't cheap to get this stuff to just sit in your range bag, but to me well worth it.
All day shooting "Range Days" are a regular pastime event for me and my family. I educate and train my sons to be safe and responsible but accidents can always happen when you least expect them. I chose to be well prepared.

Yep I had to go out to my car and get my medic pouch, Idiots that run that place. Own a store that has the potential for life threatening injury's and you have a 50pc WalMart first aid kit..:steamed: As Fred said, I hate indoors and I will risk fighting of all those nasty mosquitoes in 90 degree weather in the middle of the afternoon...:whistling: To me its also a lot easier to police my brass in the great outdoors.

cowboy1964
09-03-2012, 19:57
West Nile virus vs. a little splash...

So you never leave the house?

glock_collector
09-04-2012, 11:38
44 mag went 1/2 way thru me while shooting steel.!!!!

cajun_chooter
09-05-2012, 14:54
all of the local ranges do not allow any firing at steel targets

F106 Fan
09-05-2012, 15:22
Our allows it but the shooter has to be a long way back - I forget but I think it's 20 yards. The range has to approve the steel targets.

On the long range silhouette range, there is no FMJ allowed. SP or BTHP are allowed. No magnum cartridges.

On the .22 rifle silhouette range (targets from about 20 yards to 50 yards), no magnums allowed. No .17 cal allowed either. This range has a moving set of targets like a carnival. You can set up with a 10/22 and just ambush them at 50 yards! There are other knock down targets but the moving targets reset. As long as you have ammo, there's a target! This is rapidly becoming my favorite range. The problem is, I only have a couple of bolt action .22s and one 10/22. I need another 10/22 because my grandson gloms onto mine.

Richard

WiskyT
09-05-2012, 15:51
10 yards is enough and FMJ is fine too. You have to use the right kind of steel. If you use crap steel, you can get a wicked bounce back of whole bullets even if they are swaged lead.

F106 Fan
09-05-2012, 16:36
10 yards is enough and FMJ is fine too. You have to use the right kind of steel. If you use crap steel, you can get a wicked bounce back of whole bullets even if they are swaged lead.

Apparently, the range has had a bounce back from 500 METERS! That's insane! I saw the divot in the steel plate and the story is that another bullet hit the divot and just curved back.

Our silhouette range has a mandatory indoctrination course that goes over the allowed calibers and ammo. No magnums on this range either!

I really wanted to take on the 500m Ram with a .338 Lapua but I think it is outside the rules...

Richard

WiskyT
09-05-2012, 16:42
Apparently, the range has had a bounce back from 500 METERS! That's insane! I saw the divot in the steel plate and the story is that another bullet hit the divot and just curved back.

Our silhouette range has a mandatory indoctrination course that goes over the allowed calibers and ammo. No magnums on this range either!

I really wanted to take on the 500m Ram with a .338 Lapua but I think it is outside the rules...

Richard

If the steel got dented, it's crap steel. It's not at all hard to find steel targets rated for centerfire rifle rounds. IHMSA shooters have been banging steel targets for decades with rifle caliber pistols.

TKM
10-24-2012, 01:55
At SBR&G I had an AP 30-06 round come back from the
300 yard line and ding the side of my Bronco.

Hit the chrome strip, which cost nothing, and missed a big mirrored piece of safety glass which cost more than the Bronco by an inch.

Twas both a good and bad day all at once.:dunno:

Bren
10-24-2012, 05:11
That happens with FMJ, hollow points - even cast elad. I had an instructor in the academy with a big scar on his face from a range where they were only shotoing lead .38 semi-wadcutters.