Talk to me about indoor matches. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about indoor matches.

PettyOfficer
09-02-2012, 21:47
My credit card has been charged, so it's just a matter of days until I can clearly say I'm with the GSSF.

I won't be able to make any outdoor shoots this year, but there are two indoor shoots near Houston I can try to make, starting in October. Conroe (Shooters Station) and Dickinson (The Arms Room which is closer and I've actually been there a few times).

I've read that is a total of 50 rounds through 6 stages... Are the targets scored and replaced after each stage or just at the end? How long does the match take?

I think I'm lucky there are two shoots near me, with so few listed on the website. Is it a social gathering, or just perfunctory, where people show up, shoot and leave?

Does anybody shoot the GSSF Indoor at either of these two ranges?

I'm eagerly looking forward to October, I even prepared some 8" paper plates for practice.
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/GTPettyOfficer/08690f87.jpg

So talk to me...

PM720
09-02-2012, 22:35
Congratulations and welcome to the club. I have had a lot of fun at the indoor matches at LAX here in SoCal and I think it has helped me focus on marksmanship which has helped me at the outdoors and even The 2 IDPA matches I shot.

At any rate, I think the target deal varys but most seem to use 2 targets. The usual COF will be-

10 rounds @ 12' in 15 seconds
10 rounds @ 25' in 15 seconds
10 rounds @ 50' in 15 seconds
Change target
10 rounds @ 75' in 30 seconds
5 rounds @ 25' in 15 seconds
5 rounds @ 50' in 15 seconds

Some ranges use 1 target for all 50 rounds. :dunno: I have heard of some matches shooting the 75' stage in 15 seconds also. :wow:

My unsolicited advice would be to practice as much as you can at 75', it will make the shorter ranges a bit easier too. Also, if you have them use 6 mags, 4 loaded to 10 rounds and 2 loaded to 5 rounds. It just seems simpler to me.

Above all, HAVE FUN!! :supergrin:

ETA- if you can find some NRA D-1 targets to practice on that helps BIG time!

Scott

PettyOfficer
09-02-2012, 23:57
I've looked those up, X ring is 4" diameter, 10 Ring 4-8", and 8pt ring is 8-12".. So my paper plates will be good practice fodder... I'm sick of spending good money on just a big piece of paper.

If I can stay on paper within the distance and allotted time, that's 500...

I've looked up the indoor matches before, but I haven't practiced for them yet, so I know the COF, but don't know how I'll do. My local range is 18yards max (indoor), so I'll just have to max out and practice for tight patterns.

What triggered my GSSF membership was my recent purchase of a Gen4 G17. I've had my G30 for a year, but wanted a 9mm for comp. I figured, if everybody else can wuss out and go with a 9mm, why can't I?

My G30 is a nail driver, but I'll save that for outdoor events next year, if I can make one.

DannyR
09-03-2012, 01:48
There are about 5 approved courses of fire in addition to the "classic" already stated.

Alexd29
09-03-2012, 06:17
i would use whichever gun you feel more accurate with, or shoot both. It varies.range.to range, but around here you can shoot multiple.entries.with different guns.

Paper plates are good practice, but if you are serious about shooting a 500, you need to practice shooting center mass on a larger target.

look up the dimensions for the nra d-1 target. you can make a rough target from a large piece of cardboard or paper. take your paper plate and make a faint pencil outline in the center of the target. This is more realistic. Practice the most@ 75' and 50'. It will get you used to shooting center mass, which can be more difficult than aiming for a smaller target.

Hope this helps,
Glock 500 club member,
-David-

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PettyOfficer
09-03-2012, 11:33
i would use whichever gun you feel more accurate with, or shoot both. It varies.range.to range, but around here you can shoot multiple.entries.with different guns.

Paper plates are good practice, but if you are serious about shooting a 500, you need to practice shooting center mass on a larger target.

look up the dimensions for the nra d-1 target. you can make a rough target from a large piece of cardboard or paper. take your paper plate and make a faint pencil outline in the center of the target. This is more realistic. Practice the most@ 75' and 50'. It will get you used to shooting center mass, which can be more difficult than aiming for a smaller target.

Hope this helps,
Glock 500 club member,
-David-

I shoot a regular full sized target for practice and warm up with both my 30 and 17, then when its shot out and hard to track each shot, I then tape my paper plate center top and practice shooting the 17 a bit faster with concentration on front sight follow up and trigger reset without changing the position of my finger.

I went to the range this morning and practiced @ the 12' and 25' with my paper plates that have NRA D1 approx size (see photo), inner ring is 5" and plate itself is 9". Considering that the difference is 1/2 inch at the 5" and 9" diameters, it's easy to see if I'm in the X, 10 or 8 rings.

Out of 100 rounds, probably 95 in the 4" X ring, 4 in the 8" 10 ring and only let one fly, but well within the 12" 8 ring.

Max distance at this indoor range is 16 yards... I'll practice next time at 48'. I need to head to another range for 75' practice.

Obviously 50' and 75' is more difficult, but this is only the 2nd time shooting my G17, and I need to focus on the fundamentals before extending my range.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'd be happy with a 440 or better on my first time, I'm really comfortable with the 'classic' 25 rounds at 12 and 25... Could expect all 10s, mostly Xs... At 50' i think i could stay mostly in the 8"10 ring with a few in the 12" 8 ring, but that 10@75' is daunting :: I can't even see that far (without glasses and a slow re-focus) when not focusing on the front sight.

I'm pumped! Totally looking forward to next month!

PettyOfficer
09-03-2012, 11:38
look up the dimensions for the nra d-1 target. you can make a rough target from a large piece of cardboard or paper. take your paper plate and make a faint pencil outline in the center of the target. This is more realistic.

Oh, just realized the NRA D1 doesn't really have bold patterns to focus on... Which obviously makes it harder and now I understand what you meant about center mass, no other aiming clues. I'll keep that in mind!