Delta Elite Barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Delta Elite Barrel

AKRover
09-02-2012, 22:16
I have a Delta Elite with the factory barrel and would like to swap in a barrel that provides better chamber support. Is it possible to increase chamber support without going to a ramped barrel? Is there any brand of aftermarket barrel that is recommended for better chamber support?

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse by asking this but the search turned up nothing that even remotely answers the question.

glock_19guy1983
09-02-2012, 22:31
you could always have the frame cut for a ramped barrel. That would give you a fully supported barrel.

faawrenchbndr
09-03-2012, 04:26
No issues with factory barrels, just bas cases & over charged ones.
Ramped barrel is the only fix, unless you want a single shot.

AKRover
09-03-2012, 10:26
Thanks for the replies. Was hoping to avoid having to have the frame modified but if that's what it takes I'll look into having it done. I know there are a e different styles of ramped barrels available. Is one more reliable in terms of feeding ammo than the other?

The factory barrel in accurate enough but I want to be able to use a little hotter rounds. Right now I don't feel comfortable fire the same ammo out of my DE as I do my Glock 20. The Glock fires Underwood and DoubleTap 200 grain FMJFN all day with no problem while the same rounds in the DE result in all kinds of deformed cases.

My DE is usually my concealed carry gun but some times I do carry it in the woods when I decide to take a hike on spur of the moment. It would be nice to be able to switch to the hotter rounds that I prefer for the woods without having to worry about the cases.

faawrenchbndr
09-03-2012, 10:40
Have you takes to a GOOD PistolSmiths about this?

glock_19guy1983
09-03-2012, 11:59
Thanks for the replies. Was hoping to avoid having to have the frame modified but if that's what it takes I'll look into having it done. I know there are a e different styles of ramped barrels available. Is one more reliable in terms of feeding ammo than the other?

The factory barrel in accurate enough but I want to be able to use a little hotter rounds. Right now I don't feel comfortable fire the same ammo out of my DE as I do my Glock 20. The Glock fires Underwood and DoubleTap 200 grain FMJFN all day with no problem while the same rounds in the DE result in all kinds of deformed cases.

My DE is usually my concealed carry gun but some times I do carry it in the woods when I decide to take a hike on spur of the moment. It would be nice to be able to switch to the hotter rounds that I prefer for the woods without having to worry about the cases.

there are two different common ramped barrel designs you have the Wilson/Nowlin and the Clark/Para. Wilson/Nowlin seems to be the most common and the one I would go with. Both should feed the same. you can google them to see the difference.

AKRover
09-03-2012, 12:27
Have you takes to a GOOD PistolSmiths about this?

I have not talked to the gunsmith about this. I'm at work so just kind of thinking at this point and trying to figure out what options I have. When I get home tomorrow night for my two weeks off I'll do more research and try decide which way to go.

I live in a small town and while we have two gunsmiths that I know of I'm not sure of the extent of the work they can do. I'll have to talk to them and find out but I will probably require a trip for the gun to Wild West Guns in Anchorage for the work.

glock_19guy1983
09-03-2012, 13:48
I have not talked to the gunsmith about this. I'm at work so just kind of thinking at this point and trying to figure out what options I have. When I get home tomorrow night for my two weeks off I'll do more research and try decide which way to go.

I live in a small town and while we have two gunsmiths that I know of I'm not sure of the extent of the work they can do. I'll have to talk to them and find out but I will probably require a trip for the gun to Wild West Guns in Anchorage for the work.

For frame mill work and proper barrel fitting you need to send your delta to someone who has a good bit of experience with 1911s. Unless your local gunsmith is someone like bob rogers I wouldnt chance it.

swinokur
09-04-2012, 07:38
Underwood Ammo sells a specific Delta Elite load that is safe.

1240 FPS. I use the 180g GD's. Works great.

www.underwoodammo.com

RYT 2BER
09-04-2012, 19:23
Underwood Ammo sells a specific Delta Elite load that is safe.

1240 FPS. I use the 180g GD's. Works great.

www.underwoodammo.com

Viable suggestion, but I can't honestly understand why someone would want a 10 mm that can't handle the hot stuff. IMO the real "reason" for 10mm is the hot stuff...

I think you're right to do the mod and then get the ramped barrel. Just my $.02.

swinokur
09-04-2012, 19:30
A 180g JHP traveling at 1240 FPS isn't exactly underpowered

614 ft/lbs of energy. Works for me

RYT 2BER
09-04-2012, 21:48
A 180g JHP traveling at 1240 FPS isn't exactly underpowered

614 ft/lbs of energy. Works for me

Understood... Don't know what youre using it for... I wouldn't be comfortable with 180 for self defense... I've seen some pretty staggering penetration numbers... Much more than I'd like but your mileage may vary.

swinokur
09-05-2012, 04:39
The idea is even with excellent penetration, the GD will expand enough to prevent it. Hope I never find out.

AKRover
09-05-2012, 06:52
I have looked at the Underwood ammo loaded specifically for the Delta Elite and will be trying it in the future. Problem is Underwood won't ship to Alaska so unless I go to visit someone in the lower 48 or can talk someone else into bringing it up for me I have no way to get it up here.

I will look into have the frame modified for a ramped barrel. This may not make sense but I much prefer to talk to the gunsmith face to face before I hand over my pistol for any work. So if none of the shops around here or in Anchorage can handle it I will just live with it as it. Considering Wild West Guns builds customs guns including 1911 I imagine they should be able to handle it.

swinokur
09-05-2012, 06:58
For the cost of redoing the frame, why not just buy a G20? No mods necessary. Shoots full power stuff and great for outdoor stuff.

AKRover
09-05-2012, 07:15
For the cost of redoing the frame, why not just buy a G20? No mods necessary. Shoots full power stuff and great for outdoor stuff.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a G20 that is my normal woods gun. Reason for thinking of upgrading the barrel for better support is for those occasions when I don't have time/desire to go home and switch pistols before venturing out into the woods.

AKRover
09-09-2012, 22:13
So I spoke with the shop where I purchased my Delta Elite and they quoted me $475 to install a ramped barrel. The owner of the shop is a master pistolsmith so I feel comfortable having him do the work. My question is whether $475 sounds like a fair price for parts and labor to install a ramped barrel.