Different recoil spring for 357Sig in a .40? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Different recoil spring for 357Sig in a .40?

ABNAK
09-03-2012, 08:35
[Posting this here because it is ammo related]

Is it advisable to use a stronger recoil spring in a .40 using a 357Sig drop-in barrel? Specifically a Glock 23 with a Storm Lake barrel......which recoil spring to get (if necessary)?

I remember someone on here before mentioning a stronger spring will give better accuracy and reduce extreme spread (?).

fredj338
09-03-2012, 10:44

Is it advisable to use a stronger recoil spring in a .40 using a 357Sig drop-in barrel? Specifically a Glock 23 with a Storm Lake barrel......which recoil spring to get (if necessary)?

I remember someone on here before mentioning a stronger spring will give better accuracy and reduce extreme spread (?).
There should be no diff in the recoil spring from one to the other. I run the stock G32 spring w/ a 40bbl. I am not really sure how a stronger spring affects accuracy or extreme spread, which also doesn't really affect accuracy. The gun is locked up when fired, spring has done it's job of returning to battery.:dunno:

barth
09-03-2012, 10:48

Glock uses the same exact OEM RSA for gen 3 G26/G27/G33.
I run Storm Lake barrels in 9mm, 40 and 357 Sig with the OEM
G27 RSA for over 5000 rounds.

All you need is barrel and mags.

dkf
09-03-2012, 11:02
I use the same RSAs. You can always experiment with a stronger spring, I never bothered.

Kingarthurhk
09-03-2012, 11:07
You can get a steel or a tungsten guide rod. I like to do that to all my glocks to insure the polymer guiderod doesn't snap at an inconvenient time. Tungsten isn't going to break or bend. You can go with heavier springs. I like put 22lb in mine. It just means less felt recoil.

unit1069
09-03-2012, 11:45
The only modification I've done to my stock 3rd generation G-32 is to install a Wolff stainless steel guide rod and Wolff 20# uncaptured recoil spring. It has definitely improved the recoil characteristics.

cowboy1964
09-03-2012, 15:39
You can get a steel or a tungsten guide rod. I like to do that to all my glocks to insure the polymer guiderod doesn't snap at an inconvenient time.

Any documented cases of this actually happening?

IMO you are at far greater risk putting in aftermarket parts than sticking with the parts that the manufacturer put in there for a reason. How many LE departments swap that part out?

Kingarthurhk
09-03-2012, 15:42
Any documented cases of this actually happening?

IMO you are at far greater risk putting in aftermarket parts than sticking with the parts that the manufacturer put in there for a reason. How many LE departments swap that part out?

They don't because they want the weapon to be stock for legal reasons. If all the weapons use stock parts then when a shooting happens, the weapon can't be picked apart. Also, unless the weapon is officer owned, then all the stock parts can be replaced when they fail by a trained firearms armorer, typically the instructor. That's why.

ABNAK
09-03-2012, 16:54
All you need is barrel and mags.

I thought .40 mags would work with 357Sig rounds?

dpadams6
09-03-2012, 17:10

Many use same Mag's for both without any problems. But in glock Mag's, the followers are different. For ccw/hd I 'd use Mag's marked for specific caliber.

unit1069
09-03-2012, 17:28

I bought a 10-round G-23 magazine for my G-32 on the chance I might travel to a restricted state. It takes all the strength I have to cram the 10th round into the mag and the sides bulge to the point I have to use more force to seat the mag into the pistol. I have no idea what the follower number is.

It has never misfired or caused a single issue and I'd trust my life with it. That said, with the relatively recent Glock issues we've read about I'd really put any Glock magazine through a rigorous test before carrying.

barth
09-03-2012, 17:46

They will.
The followers are different.
For the range use whatever.
For Self-Defense I recommend the right mags for that caliber.
Or at least the right followers.
It's cheap insurance - IMHO.

PghJim
09-03-2012, 18:09
For a Browing tilt barrel, a stronger recoil spring can reduce variation if that is a problem by holding the action closed for a little longer. This can help with 10mm, but I never needed it with a 357 sig. Does not work on 1911's. However, the stronger recoil spring you put in the more you will feel the recoil. I run a factory recoil spring, and yes, I have had two break on me, or an aftermarket 17 pound spring. It maybe a little harder on the gun, but the reduction in recoil is worth it.

I also just found and installed a Sprinco recoil reducer on the carry 357sig. It both reduces felt recoil and buffers the slide. For me, it was well worth the cost.

Kingarthurhk
09-03-2012, 18:42
I bought a 10-round G-23 magazine for my G-32 on the chance I might travel to a restricted state. It takes all the strength I have to cram the 10th round into the mag and the sides bulge to the point I have to use more force to seat the mag into the pistol. I have no idea what the follower number is.

It has never misfired or caused a single issue and I'd trust my life with it. That said, with the relatively recent Glock issues we've read about I'd really put any Glock magazine through a rigorous test before carrying.

Save your thumb:

http://www.maglula.com/

avenues165
09-03-2012, 19:04
I personally find that the .40 has more perceived recoil to me. Just went to the range today and started with .40. Once I switched to 357 sig I really noticed a difference in recoil. It just seemed much lighter than the .40.

It must just be me. I love the sig, it comes straight back so I can get back on target for follow up shots more quickly. It also puts the smack down on the target.

Side note, I took my wife's Bersa .380 to the range today and put about 100 rounds through it. What a fun gun, best bargain I have ever found in a firearm.

PghJim
09-04-2012, 07:50
I personally find that the .40 has more perceived recoil to me. Just went to the range today and started with .40. Once I switched to 357 sig I really noticed a difference in recoil. It just seemed much lighter than the .40.

It must just be me. I love the sig, it comes straight back so I can get back on target for follow up shots more quickly. It also puts the smack down on the target.

All true. I do not think people believe it unless they feel it for themselves. Many people believe there is more recoil in the 357 sig than the 40, but there is actually less than in 155 and 165 loads in the 40. Also for me the 40 twists in my hand and I can get the 357 sig back on target faster. It may be louder than the 40, but that does not bother me in practice and I probably will not hear it if I had to use the gun in self defense.

avenues165
09-04-2012, 18:09
All true. I do not think people believe it unless they feel it for themselves. Many people believe there is more recoil in the 357 sig than the 40, but there is actually less than in 155 and 165 loads in the 40. Also for me the 40 twists in my hand and I can get the 357 sig back on target faster. It may be louder than the 40, but that does not bother me in practice and I probably will not hear it if I had to use the gun in self defense.

You point out something I have not thought about with regards to my experiences with the two cartridges. I rarely shoot .40 s&w 180gr loads, almost exclusively 165gr and 155gr loadings. I keep a few 180gr FMJ and 180gr JHP on hand for those times that penetration are the main concern (hiking, cold winter days with heavier clothing). Although I personally do not find the 180gr loadings to be significantly softer than the 165gr loadings, which are my favorite for .40 s&w.

It's interesting how you can give a bunch of people the same thing and they all can find a different way to decribe it to you. Different people = different opinions:dunno: