Sticky 9mm sizing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sticky 9mm sizing

Fwdftw
09-03-2012, 12:37
Using lee sizing die every Damn peice of 9 sticks when I try to remove it. It comes out but with force. Clean the die? How ? , also should I lube ? I've got 1 shot for my .223 loading but I'd hate to have to De prime tumble again and load. What Ye say gtr?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

F106 Fan
09-03-2012, 12:57
I use Hornady One Shot even though I have carbide dies. Of course, with steel dies you have to lube.

The process goes so much smoother with HOS and I don't bother to remove it before I shoot.

I use Dillon lube for rifle but that's a different deal. You simply have to lube those.

Richard

PhantomF4E
09-03-2012, 12:59
Get a nice bright flashlight , inspect die , clean if needed. Lube a few , run them , if they don't stick, problem solved.

WiskyT
09-03-2012, 13:07
Don't tumble your brass in the first place and it won't stick. You can also take about half the cases and toss them in a box or bag and give them a quick burst of pledge furniture polish, throw in the rest of the batch and mix them around. Then just load as normal and they will glide in and out of the die. The polish has no effect on loaded rounds if you do just a light application. You can lube them the night before and they will be dry for loading if you're worried about it, but I've loaded them with white foam on them and the powder and primers aren't effected.

Fwdftw
09-03-2012, 13:09
What's the best way to clean a die?

unclebob
09-03-2012, 13:11
Are you sure you are not trying to load steel cases? They look like brass but are steel. Also make sure you are using a carbide die? Not what the box says but what the die says and you can see the carbide ring. Would not be the first time they put the wrong die in the wrong box.

fredj338
09-03-2012, 13:13
Brand new brass is a bit sticky. SS media cleaned brass is a bit sticky. If you use a carbide die & tumbled clean brass, they should not need anything & runs smoothly. Clean the die w/ a bore mop & some degreaser. If the brass is new, then some OneShot will be very helpful.

WiskyT
09-03-2012, 13:15
What's the best way to clean a die?

A Qtip and some alcohol, but that's not your problem. I never clean my dies, they are filthy and they aren't sticky. The only stickiness I get is from spotlessly clean brass, especially the superclean "NT" stuff,that I scrounge off the floor. Squeaky clean brass is harder to resize.

sig357fan
09-03-2012, 13:19
Carbide of steel die?

Clean either with a bore brush and alcohol, then a thin coat of oil on steel parts to prevent rusting.

Never used “One Shot”, but have used Horaday sizing wax on brass with both a steel die and a carbide die when brass was hard to size.

Just rub your fingertips across the wax and roll the brass through your fingertips, let the brass tell you how much to use, too much and you’ll get a buildup of wax on the die or the base of the brass, too little and it will be harder to size.

Remove the wax by wiping off the brass with a rag wetted with alcohol.

Sig357fan

sig357fan
09-03-2012, 13:26
one other thing,

someone on the forum mixes up Lee sizing lube and acohol to make a spray-on lube, not sure who it is but I remember reading a post explaining the process.

try the search function for CRP lube?

sig357fan

Fwdftw
09-03-2012, 13:50
It's not steel , ill post a vid when I get home.

jdavionic
09-03-2012, 14:01
I've had it happen twice. I use Lee Carbide dies and I tumble my brass. I just disassemble the die, clean it with degreaser (carburator cleaner is what I use, just because I have a can handy), reassemble, put a little Lee sizing lubricant of the first few cases, and all is fine. I cannot even guess how many rounds that I have run through between these two cleanings.

Fwdftw
09-06-2012, 22:38
bullets should be here tommorow.. ill try and get a video tommorow guys.

Fwdftw
09-06-2012, 23:58
OK so i know i need a new bench.. gonna get to that here pretty soon.. So after cleaning the dies. I tried 2 Non Lubed cases, followed by 2 lubed cases, lastly i tried a case UNLUBED after the die had some one shot on it. Seems like theyre running ok now.. ill find out after i load 200-300 this weekend. ( God i need a 650) ( Sorry for the upside down video its off my cell phone) SECOND Video is another issue. The Lee PRO Autodisc seems to also make my case stick when exiting the die. Shouldnt it just come right out after accepting the powder? There is not excessive flare its just enough for me to seat a bullet.

1st video
VIDEO0044.mp4 video by Rizey - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid31.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc379%2FRizey%2FVIDEO0044.m p4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid31.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc379%2FRizey%2FVIDEO0044.mp4

2nd video
VIDEO0039.mp4 video by Rizey - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid31.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc379%2FRizey%2FVIDEO0039.m p4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid31.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc379%2FRizey%2FVIDEO0039.mp4

WiskyT
09-07-2012, 03:55
The Lee expander die is suposed to stick and it was probably your problem all along. New brass is the worst. A good bench mitigates it and dirty old brass runs the smoothest.

Fwdftw
09-07-2012, 07:16
It's not new , it's been loaded before

F106 Fan
09-07-2012, 07:25
I don't know if it is possible to polish up the expander (Flitz and a Dremel tool come to mind) but I do know that the Dillon expander can have a sticking problem until is has been used for several thousand rounds. It will eventally smooth out and work well on used brass. New brass sticks to everything.

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
09-07-2012, 07:43
Steel or carbide dies?

Lee pistol dies don't have a expander ball and the expander they use doesn't stick.

Fwdftw
09-07-2012, 08:17
As far as I know Steve its carbide. Has the ring on it

shotgunred
09-07-2012, 09:18
Attach that press to something solid. All that flexing is not helping anything.

I know that you do not have to but I lube everything.

Colorado4Wheel
09-07-2012, 10:10
As far as I know Steve its carbide. Has the ring on it

They will say "Carbide" on them if they are carbide.

So are they just tough to extract or sticky feeling?

F106 Fan
09-07-2012, 10:21
The table may not be sturdy but the visible mounting bolt isn't even tight!

I use Hornady One Shot on all my pistol cases even though I have always used carbide dies. The lube doesn't have to be cleaned off so there are no extra tumbling steps. Of course, they can be tumbled after loading if desired.

I have a plastic box about 10x14" and I just put a couple of paper towels on the bottom, dump in a couple of hundred pieces of brass and spray a little HOS. Then I shake the box to spread it to all of the cases and into the hopper they go. I don't wait for the lube to dry because I figure the hopper will help spread it around.

Richard

IndyGunFreak
09-07-2012, 10:21
Attach that press to something solid. All that flexing is not helping anything.

I doubt it's causing this particular problem, but that was the first thing I thought as well.

Fwdftw
09-07-2012, 10:33
Probably building a bench this weekend , Steve where on the die would it be ? And ill check when I get home. I'll be pissed if its not carbide bc that's what I paid for -.-

F106 Fan
09-07-2012, 10:45
I have a 9mm Lee Carbide Sizing Die and it isn't marked 'carbide' anywhere on the die.

If I look in the mouth of the die, I can see a thin ring, about as thick as a 9mm case wall, or a little less, that is the carbide insert. This is the thinnest insert I have ever seen! They sure didn't spend any money on carbide!

The Dillon insert is probably close to 10 times as thick and the RCBS (IIRC) is also quite thick.

Is your die marking the brass in any way? I'm wondering if the carbide is cracked...

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
09-07-2012, 13:09
I could have sworn mine say carbide on the side. Right by the "9mm". It's easy to tell by just looking for a distinct ring of carbide.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3266.jpg

Fwdftw
09-07-2012, 13:27
Ya it has the ring on the bottom, and it leaves a tiny ring on the bottom of the brass.
I'll take a picture when I get home for yal

WiskyT
09-07-2012, 16:40
Okay, I have had a chance to watch the videos. Your bench is the problem. The sticking you describe is really just effort. Your bench is simply no good for reloading. Before you go off the deep end trying to diagnose the "problem", build yourself a bench and then run the press. You'll live happily ever after with a proper bench. You'll double your loading rate too because you won't have to be so dainty when you operate it.

unclebob
09-07-2012, 16:53
Okay, I have had a chance to watch the videos. Your bench is the problem. The sticking you describe is really just effort. Your bench is simply no good for reloading. Before you go off the deep end trying to diagnose the "problem", build yourself a bench and then run the press. You'll live happily ever after with a proper bench. You'll double your loading rate too because you won't have to be so dainty when you operate it.

First try tighting up the bolts on the press. Looks like they were 1/8 to 1/4" loose.

WiskyT
09-07-2012, 16:55
First try tighting up the bolts on the press. Looks like they were 1/8 to 1/4" loose.

I wouldn't bother. It will just make it harder to remove the press to mount it on the new bench he desperately needs:tongueout:

Fwdftw
09-07-2012, 17:37
I agree. The wood is stripping on the bench. Lol I had to use what was available _