What do guys think of this package? For a beginner... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do guys think of this package? For a beginner...

Bow Commander
09-03-2012, 15:52
http://eugene.craigslist.org/spo/3160063908.html

I'm going to be reloading 9mm so this already has the die for it. What do you think? Good deal for what it includes?

Thanks in advance
BC

RustyFN
09-03-2012, 16:00
I don't think it's a very good deal, you can buy a new one for $166. I also don't think it's a good press to learn on. If you want a press that is easy for a beginner reloader and still produces a decent amount of rounds per hour I would look at the Lee classic turret.

dstanley66
09-03-2012, 16:04
I would meet in person if possible to buy it so I make sure what your getting.

Bow Commander
09-03-2012, 16:11
Thanks for the replies. This is local to me so I would be seeing it in person.

Rusty- I will research the LCT more. Thanks for the recommendation.

Colorado4Wheel
09-03-2012, 16:13
Pass on any Lee progressive IMHO. LCT is a good deal.

RustyFN
09-03-2012, 16:16
Thanks for the replies. This is local to me so I would be seeing it in person.

Rusty- I will research the LCT more. Thanks for the recommendation.

The pro 1,000 in your link really doesn't have much more than a new one. I think a new one comes with one set of dies, pro auto disk, case coalator/feeder and priming system.

unclebob
09-03-2012, 16:56
I would pass and get this one.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

F106 Fan
09-03-2012, 17:04
^^^^ Make sure to buy this kit exactly. It has something important that others don't and it doesn't include the Lee scale that many consider a POS. Buy a decent scale as a separate item.

Select (and buy) the Pro Auto Disk upgrade as well.

Richard

Bow Commander
09-03-2012, 17:44
Excellent! I've bookmarked that website, thank you.

While I have your attention:

So if I buy that kit, a tumber, a digital scale, calipers, and of course a few different ABC's of reloading books, i'd be pretty well set to begin?

Colorado4Wheel
09-03-2012, 17:48
My sticky above may help you.

Bow Commander
09-03-2012, 17:57
My sticky above may help you.

Just read it, great info Colorado. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll continue to do my homework.

I ususally don't start threads when I have so much to learn first but sometimes all I need is a little confirmation from the brain trust so I can hit the BUY button.

F106 Fan
09-03-2012, 18:03

So if I buy that kit, a tumber, a digital scale, calipers, and of course a few different ABC's of reloading books, i'd be pretty well set to begin?

You can get by without a tumbler for a while. Just wipe off the cases. I recommend digital calipers (easier to read) and I certainly recommend the Dillon D-Terminator digital scale but you wouldn't be wrong to choose the Dillon Eliminator beam scale for somewhat less money. There are a couple of digital scale threads on this forum that are current. You might want to review them.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/8/stype/?searchVar=scale

Don't even think about buying a digital scale that costs less than $100. If you really want digital, get the D-Terminator (plus the case). You will also need a set of RCBS check weights:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=69632/pid=35213/Product/RCBS-Scale-Weight-Kit?mc_id=80000&srch=1&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c3466_a_7c749006250_d_749004349_d_20563
I have the Deluxe kit and I use the weights every time I use my scale.

I would recommend a case gauge. Dillon has them.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25548/catid/3/Dillon_Handgun_Case_Gages

The ABC's Of Reloading comes highly recommended and is available as an eBook from Amazon. You will also need some manuals such as Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 8th Edition or Speer Reloading Manual #14.

Also, add a 9mm Taper Crimp die to the die set. The Lee 4 die set that you will get with the press comes with the Factory Crimp Die (FCD) and that isn't highly regarded around here. Straight wall cases must be belled to seat the bullet and the mouth must be straightened out after seating. The easiest way to do this is with a Taper Crimp die. Everybody makes them - even Lee:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/274765/lee-taper-crimp-die-9mm-luger

Read all of the stickies at the top of this forum. Most of your questions will be answered in them.

Richard

RustyFN
09-03-2012, 19:12

I wouldn't buy a digital scale, I would go with a Dillon or RCBS beam scale. Also upgrade to the pro auto disk and Lg & Sm safety prime if it doesn't come with them already.

Smoker
09-03-2012, 19:14
oooopps my bad, I thought someone was bragging on their package...

sig357fan
09-03-2012, 20:00
+1 for the LCT

Fits the bill for my needs and should last a lifetime, easy to change calibers, powder measure never comes out of adjustment, and good, positive priming in that you can see the primer is orientated correctly until just before its seated in the case, I even load cast bullet loads for my milsurp rifles on it.

I donít shoot any competition and do most of my reloading in the winter months so come nice weather, I have buckets of ammo ready to go.

Follow Coloradoís sticky for what you need to get started and DONíT SKIMP ON A SCALE!!

Just my $0.02 worth

Sig357fan

WiskyT
09-03-2012, 20:34
I agree with others regarding the LCT deal from Kemps. I have been using my Lee Pro1000 since 1986 or so and it can be finicky and stubborn. It's second nature to me now, but to just take the think out of the box and load your first rounds on it is not the best way to go. The Craig's list "deal" is anything but because you can buy a brand new one for less. Nothing good comes from Craig's list unless you are lonely:whistling:

As F106 said, you can do without a tumbler, I rarely use mine. So you can have someone get it for your for Christmas etc. down the line if you want one.

Bow Commander
09-03-2012, 21:59
Great input everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to help. I'll be looking into all your suggestions.

Bow Commander
09-03-2012, 22:00
oooopps my bad, I thought someone was bragging on their package...

This had me rolling, FYI :rofl: