Range Report 10mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range Report 10mm

Kingarthurhk
09-04-2012, 19:02
Awhile back I was having issues with my Underwood 10mm 200 gr. XTP (Item 246) and my LWD aftermarket barrel. I had the edges polished off the LWD and the throat polished. I am using a G20SF with a grip reduction, and a tungsten guide rod with a 22lb spring.

I used standard Glock 20 magazines with #2 followers. After six rounds, I was having a consistant double feed on each magazine used.

This has been a consistant problem even with Swamp Fox XTP's. I am wondering if it is the XTP shape of the hollow point that is messing things up with the LWD barrel not feeding them properly, or it is another issue.

I fed through Blazer flatnosed FMJ's not a a problem. I have fired Federal Hydrashocks, not a problem.

I was tempted to try them out with the standard glock barrel, but I was concerned about a kaboom.

I hear everyone else raving about the Underwood stuff, and I honestly want to like it too. You can't beat the price point.

That being said, here is where I am at:

I am looking for a woods carry hunting pistol in my 10mm when I am not carrying it CCL. (That is when it is loaded with federal hydroshocks).

I am thinking the potential solution to my problem is just going with flat nosed gasers for mule deer and busting a black bear who wants to make me have a very bad day.

So, at this point, I am looking for advise from the 10mm gurus.

What I want from this pistol is a compact, light pistol I can woods carry and take a mule deer if need be on a hunt, or bust up a black bear before it can bust me up.

Any practical advise is welcome.

Ak.Hiker
09-04-2012, 20:50
You might want to try a box of factory Hornady 200 grain XTP's and see how they run. Always run great in my Glock 29. Not as hot as the Underwood but still a good load. A good way to see if it is the bullet. I usually load 2 or 3 200 grain XTP's up first and then load the rest of the magazine with either Buffalo Bore or Double Tap 200 grain FMJ's when out on the trails if I carry my 10mm.

dkf
09-04-2012, 21:42
The problem probably is not the XTP bullet. You could pick up some 200gr XTP Hornady loads as AK mentioned and see if they run with your current setup. If not drop in the Glock barrel and fire some more. If the problem goes away you found the issue. Honestly I will not deal with any load I need an aftermarket barrel to fire. Just because a load is hot does not mean it will perform optimally with the bullet it is loaded with.

Kingarthurhk
09-05-2012, 05:19
I appreciate the advise. I am not concerned so much about the XTP bullet anymore. I just want to find a good 10mm hunting round that is relaible, and can take a mulle deer if I want to handgun hunt, and will double as black bear stopper should that problem ever arise.

I am not sure the XTP fits that description. I am think a solid point "gasser"?

That might solve the problem all the way around.

Berto
09-06-2012, 01:21
THe XTP would be a good bullet, it's limited expansion and good penetrating.

Chris Chris
09-06-2012, 11:13
The Hornady 200 grain XTP is an excellent load. I have killed a handful of wild hogs with it from my G29 and the performance was excellent. So too, is Hornady's quality control.

With that said... if I want a bear defense load I'll usually go with the Cor-Bon 180 grain Bonded Core Soft Point. In my water tests it expands to about .53 caliber, penetrates 50+ inches of water, and maintains 100% of it's weight. It will bust skulls and break spines. That's what it was designed for.

My G29 has Advantage Tactical Sights and is zeroed for my normal carry load... Win 175 Silvertip. The Cor-Bon shoots to the same POI at 15 yards, which is a plus.

dkf
09-06-2012, 12:23
I agree the 200gr XTP is about as good as it gets for a 10mm deer bullet. It will penetrate well even if it hits some bone and you will get some expansion. If the XTP loads jsut are not doable I would look at a 180-230 grain hardcast with a nice big flat metplat and see how they run in your gun.

Remington 870
09-09-2012, 16:13
Op, I was thinking of the same 200 gr underwood load for my g20sf also. I am interested in seeing how well this load would shoot out of the stock barrel? If you decide to test it I would like to know the outcome. why do you think that your gun will break with this load out of the stock barrel? I think Glock fixed the un-supported barrel problem they once had.