Berry's Bullets? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Berry's Bullets?

pcmanic
09-04-2012, 23:13
Has any one reloaded with Berry's hollow base bullets in .40 cal? Just wondering about the extra space caused by the cavity in the bullet. Thanks

Cap'n
09-05-2012, 07:54
This is one of those 'non-responsive' answers: no. BUT I have used Berry's .380ACP bullets with the hollow base and find them more accurate than flat-based bullets. I'd expect better performance with hollow-based bullets because I'd expect the bullet to seal better against the rifling.

Frankly, though I've used Berry's in several caliber including .40, I didn't know they had a hollow-based .40. I'll have to look for it.

I wouldn't expect any noticeable effect from increased powder space in a cartridge having a hollow-based bullet other than as noted above.

F106 Fan
09-05-2012, 08:01
You're on your own with the hollow base bullets. You won't find one scrap of published load data.

In theory, you could load a little shorter or with a little more powder to get the same pressure as a solid base bullet. But you're going to have to figure this out for yourself. A chronograph would be handy.

I shoot hollow base wadcutters in .38 Special but they are deliberately very slow and have uncanny accuracy. I haven't tried the Berry's hollow base because a) I don't load .40 S&W and b) I don't see a reason to buy plated bullets when Precision Delta jacketed bullets are as cheap or even cheaper. Besides, I can get published load data for jacketed bullets.

Richard

Jim Watson
09-05-2012, 08:02
I have loaded some of Berry's .45 hollow base. I had to increase the powder charge A LITTLE to make power factor versus flatbase. Note that I am loading to Minor power factor to shoot a .45 in IDPA ESP, so the load is still very light.

I really like the near hardball profile for good feeding in a finicky pistol and the reduced weight.

Now if they would just make one with a little smaller cavity at 200 grains instead of 185, my world would be complete.

Ski2me
09-05-2012, 17:51
I just reloaded and fired 250 Berrys, 155 gr RNHB plated bullets. I used 4.2 gr Winchester WST, Fedreal primers with an OAL of 1.130. I don't have a chrony but they fed perfectly, not one hiccup, accuracy was outstanding and they shot as soft as my wife's boobies.

The price per round is slightly higher than hard cast but I'm getting so tired of cleaning my dies every time I reload (to get the wax out of the seating die) that I'm going to go with plated for target shooting. They are still a good savings over jacketed or retail loads.

F106 Fan
09-05-2012, 18:28
The price per round is slightly higher than hard cast but I'm getting so tired of cleaning my dies every time I reload (to get the wax out of the seating die) that I'm going to go with plated for target shooting. They are still a good savings over jacketed or retail loads.

Have you checked them against Precision Delta FMJ? PD includes shipping and they are pretty economical when ordered in large quantity.

Richard

Ski2me
09-05-2012, 18:41
I've never looked a PD before but I see they do have a great price. Berrys works out to cost 5.83 per 50 reloads. PD is a whole .17 cents more at 6.00. Both have free shipping. The only advantage I see for Berry's is that you only have to order 1000 to get that price. PD requires a 2000 minimum. I think I'll place an order with Precision Delta as soon as I use up some of what I have. Thanks for the headsup.

F106 Fan
09-05-2012, 18:44
I've never looked a PD before but I see they do have a great price. Berrys works out to cost 5.83 per 50 reloads. PD is a whole .17 cents more at 6.00. Both have free shipping. The only advantage I see for Berry's is that you only have to order 1000 to get that price. PD requires a 2000 minimum. I think I'll place an order with Precision Delta as soon as I use up some of what I have. Thanks for the headsup.

You can buy 1000 from PD but there's a slight penalty. In fact, there is a slight penalty for any odd number of thousands.

The thing I like about jacketed bullets is that there is always published load data. I have given up shooting plated simply because there is no solid data. "Load between mid-range lead and mid-range jacketed" just doesn't work for me.

Richard

Taterhead
09-05-2012, 23:38
I have mentioned it before, but it is worth repeating, PowerBond bullets are very high quality. Prices are equivalent to or better than Berry's. Minimum orders are 500 so not a big initial outlay if one wanted to try a small sample. I switched to them for 10mm & 40 S&W earlier this year and have gone through about 1500. Compared to Berry's, they are very high quality with much thicker copper.

powerbondbullets.com

2hand
09-06-2012, 10:00
I've loaded about 250 testing & chrono'ing of the 155 RNHB. I'll post the data tonight, but over all I liked the bullet.

greenlion
09-07-2012, 18:45
I've never used the .40 cal hollow base, but I did have such bad luck trying to find a good load for their 185gr .45acp bullet that I will never buy another hollow based anything.

The normal 165gr .40 cal bullets I use from Berry's work great.

SPIN2010
09-07-2012, 19:10
I reload the HBRN in 9mm and find they are very accurate with the same powder charge as the reg DSRN. I usually get whichever is in stock these days. I like them.

km625
09-08-2012, 11:38
I have mentioned it before, but it is worth repeating, PowerBond bullets are very high quality.
powerbondbullets.com

Just received my first shipment of PowerBond bullets, 500 230gr flat nosed 45s. Impressively uniform in weight, size and finish. (Wasn't expecting to see plated 45s with a cannelure!)

Bonus points for the best use I've yet seen for a USPS Flat Rate box.

Any recommended loads for this flat-pointed bullet?

km

F106 Fan
09-08-2012, 11:49
Just received my first shipment of PowerBond bullets, 500 230gr flat nosed 45s. Impressively uniform in weight, size and finish. (Wasn't expecting to see plated 45s with a cannelure!)

Bonus points for the best use I've yet seen for a USPS Flat Rate box.

Any recommended loads for this flat-pointed bullet?

km

If the bullet has a cannelure, the manufacturer must be thinking about using them in a revolver because you simply can't crimp a cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth.

I looked over at the web site and I don't see any .45s with a cannelure but I do see the .44s and .38s have them. That makes sense!

Hm...

FWIW, it's only another $1 per thousand for Precision Delta jacketed bullets in quantity of 2000. There's lots of loading data for jacketed bullets but not so much for plated. Plated bullets are reloaded to 'somewhere between mid-range lead and mid-range jacketed'.

Richard

PCJim
09-08-2012, 19:17
Rifle bullets?

F106 Fan
09-08-2012, 22:37
Rifle bullets?

Montana Gold for 55 gr FMJ for AR-15

Sierra for all other rifle loads. A few hundred rifle bullets goes a long way in a bolt action rifle. I haven't checked the price but Powder Valley stocks Sierra and a few other lines of quality bullets.

Richard