Couple hundred lbs of lead [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Couple hundred lbs of lead

Bello
09-06-2012, 12:50
I'll give it to anyone who wouldn't mind making me a couple thousand .45 acp or whatever would be fair. Pm me or respond in thread

dtuns
09-06-2012, 12:57
I tried this with my caster but only pays .50 per pound for lead the tin and antimony are what costs the most

glock_19guy1983
09-06-2012, 13:07
I'll give it to anyone who wouldn't mind making me a couple thousand .45 acp or whatever would be fair. Pm me or respond in thread

200lbs of lead would make around 6k 230gr boolits. After you figure shipping that much lead to someone then shipping the bullets back, you could get some lee molds and try it yourself. I started casting with minimal materials and had pretty good luck. All you need is your molds, a heat source, an old cast iron pot and ladle. Lubing is not all that hard. there are pan lubing techniques and also tumble lubing. I find the casting nearly as fun as the rest of the reloading process.

Bello
09-06-2012, 14:00
This lead is actually old fishing weights

token5gtd
09-06-2012, 14:18
Where are you on the east coast? If you're not too far I may be interested in a drive to liberate it from ya.

WiskyT
09-06-2012, 16:24
200lbs of lead would make around 6k 230gr boolits. After you figure shipping that much lead to someone then shipping the bullets back, you could get some lee molds and try it yourself. I started casting with minimal materials and had pretty good luck. All you need is your molds, a heat source, an old cast iron pot and ladle. Lubing is not all that hard. there are pan lubing techniques and also tumble lubing. I find the casting nearly as fun as the rest of the reloading process.

This. Although I would use a "heat source and pot" only to cast ingots. Then I would spend $50.00 or so and get a Lee pot to make the actual bullets. It is easy to make ingots without a true casting furnace, but bullets can be tough as it is hard to keep everything hot enough. The ladel cools down, the mold cools down, the lead cools in the ladel while your manuvering it to the mold. Yes, it can be done, but it takes a lot of practice.

Melting lead and pouring it into ingots is really easy and can be done with a side burner and a steel can. Once you see how easy it is to work with lead, it's easy to talk yourself into a Lee mold and a Lee pot. Tumble lube and the next thing you know, you have free bullets for life.

Bello
09-06-2012, 16:54
Where are you on the east coast? If you're not too far I may be interested in a drive to liberate it from ya.

Jersey north jersey

fredj338
09-06-2012, 20:17
What I have done for a few guys is offer them 2-1 exchange. So for 200# of lead, I would cast 100# of bullets. It's more than fair for my time & small amount of lube & such. Let me know, be happy to take 100# off you.

Bello
09-07-2012, 06:51
Ok Fred thanks ill let you know when I finish picking it all up!

shotgunred
09-07-2012, 09:30
Melt it and make ingots out of it. Lead weights can come in handy and it will be there if you ever need it. Its not like lead goes bad.