G29 ballistics [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G29 ballistics

1canvas
09-07-2012, 08:44
what kind of real ballistics can I get from a G29 shooting Hornady's 180grn. 10mm?
I'm thinking of a new woods gun.

PghJim
09-07-2012, 09:36
what kind of real ballistics can I get from a G29 shooting Hornady's 180grn. 10mm.

I would suggest getting an extrended barrel for woods. I have a 4.5" Storm Lake barrel in mine. It really does not make the gun any bigger. I would also go with Underwood Ammo, which is probably hotter than Hornady factory.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto180grainxtpjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx

My extended barrel shoots these over 1,300fps. I have not chronogrphed the stock barrel, but would bet it is significantly under 1,200fps.

unit1069
09-07-2012, 13:32
what kind of real ballistics can I get from a G29 shooting Hornady's 180grn. 10mm.

I suspect a stock setup with the ammo you mention would do just fine in Ohio. If you're worried about not having enough penetration power then the hard cast ammo would probably solve that concern.

fredj338
09-07-2012, 13:38
IMO, woods guns are revolvers, but a G29 in Ohio, yeah sure, why not. You can easily get a good 180gr-200gr bullet running 1100fps. For me, woods gun means versitile; light or heavy loads, including shot loads for snakes & small game close. If large carnivores are in the mix, then that means 41mag & heavier. No semiauto can go there, not even the perceived awesome 10mm.

1canvas
09-07-2012, 13:39
I hear about most 10mm loads being watered down from the larger ammo makers and I'm not hot on using ammo from the smaller companies. I see too many posts about inflated ballistics or bullets used that are beyond their speed limits and performing poorly.

JimIsland
09-07-2012, 13:54
I would consider the G20. Yea it's a bit bigger and heavier but the advantages far outweight the disadvanges....IMO.

And FWIW.....I would rather have 16 hot 10mm zingers on hand vs a 6 shot wheel gun!!!

PghJim
09-07-2012, 14:23
I hear about most 10mm loads being watered down from the larger ammo makers and I'm not hot on using ammo from the smaller companies. I see too many posts about inflated ballistics or bullets used that are beyond their speed limits and performing poorly.

Is there a questioned in this? I removed the link from my other post so you will not be tempted to use high speed, poor performing bullets.

1canvas
09-07-2012, 15:04
Is there a questioned in this? I removed the link from my other post so you will not be tempted to use high speed, poor performing bullets.

yes, the question was does anyone know or have chrono results for a 180grn 10mm factory Hornady load?

1canvas
09-07-2012, 20:55
I am also thinking of a G30sf and buying a 10mm conversion barrel and 10mm mag. I understand thats doable. I would also have the 10mm barrel a little longer like PghJim suggested. I seen one today for 519.00 new.

fredj338
09-08-2012, 01:06
I would consider the G20. Yea it's a bit bigger and heavier but the advantages far outweight the disadvanges....IMO.

And FWIW.....I would rather have 16 hot 10mm zingers on hand vs a 6 shot wheel gun!!!

Yeah, for those that miss a lot, I can see the advantage.:upeyes: Seriously, if your intent is protection against large predators, you wil not get off more than a shot or two & they would need to deliver a decisive blow. A 10mm is still pretty much a service round, a 41mag or 44mag or heavy 45colt is well beyond that. Then their is the versaitility that all semiautos lack, but to each his own. For most of us, it is a walk in the woods & nothing happens.:dunno:

CDW4ME
09-08-2012, 05:24
I shoot the 155 gr. Hornady out of a 29 and it chronographed a few fps faster than advertised on the box, if the 180 performs in a similar manner...Hornady publishes velocity on their website.

uz2bUSMC
09-08-2012, 07:01
IMO, woods guns are revolvers, but a G29 in Ohio, yeah sure, why not. You can easily get a good 180gr-200gr bullet running 1100fps. For me, woods gun means versitile; light or heavy loads, including shot loads for snakes & small game close. If large carnivores are in the mix, then that means 41mag & heavier. No semiauto can go there, not even the perceived awesome 10mm.

There's no point in jumping from a 10mm to a .41. Might as well go with a .44 so there is a realistic gap. The versatility of the 10mm in the OP scenario is that he can change a mag when he gets back into his car after the woods trip and put his people bullets back in. Some of us don't like to switch to a 4lb revolver for the woods and back to a semi auto for urban carry. Especially for black bear or less.

[/QUOTE]Yeah, for those that miss a lot, I can see the advantage. Seriously, if your intent is protection against large predators, you wil not get off more than a shot or two & they would need to deliver a decisive blow.[/QUOTE]

1 or 2 shots off before what? You give up? Personally, if I don't drop my gun and the critter wasn't fortunate enough to rip my head off in the first second or two, yea I'll take the 11 rnds for a G29 or 16 in a G20. It's gettin' them all if I can help.

fredj338
09-08-2012, 09:01
There's no point in jumping from a 10mm to a .41. Might as well go with a .44 so there is a realistic gap. The versatility of the 10mm in the OP scenario is that he can change a mag when he gets back into his car after the woods trip and put his people bullets back in. Some of us don't like to switch to a 4lb revolver for the woods and back to a semi auto for urban carry. Especially for black bear or less.

Yeah, for those that miss a lot, I can see the advantage. Seriously, if your intent is protection against large predators, you wil not get off more than a shot or two & they would need to deliver a decisive blow.[/QUOTE]

1 or 2 shots off before what? You give up? Personally, if I don't drop my gun and the critter wasn't fortunate enough to rip my head off in the first second or two, yea I'll take the 11 rnds for a G29 or 16 in a G20. It's gettin' them all if I can help.[/QUOTE]

Understand that, if the numbers were true. My 3" M629 doesn't weigh much more than a fully loaded G20. I can also & do switch loads out for the trip home in the car, I don't need bear penetration on the street. Again, look at the vast majority of animal attacks, you'll be lucky to get the gun out of the holster, by then you may be rolling around on the ground trying to fire w/ one hand likely. The semiauto will fire once then just as likely to jamb from either a less than perfect strong hand only grip or a slide contact. Now you have a not very efficient plastic club to fight with.
I think too many guys think an animal attack is going to be an IDPA event, where you see it coming & have time to engage, it is NOT likely to be that way, not by a long shot. SO if I only get one shot off, then I want it to have a better chance of ending that fight & a 10mm is still a service round. Sure better than a pocket knife, but just my take on a true woods gun as as SD tool. It needs to be able to do a lot of things well, no 10mm can say that.:dunno:

uz2bUSMC
09-08-2012, 09:52
Yeah, for those that miss a lot, I can see the advantage. Seriously, if your intent is protection against large predators, you wil not get off more than a shot or two & they would need to deliver a decisive blow.

1 or 2 shots off before what? You give up? Personally, if I don't drop my gun and the critter wasn't fortunate enough to rip my head off in the first second or two, yea I'll take the 11 rnds for a G29 or 16 in a G20. It's gettin' them all if I can help.[/QUOTE]

Understand that, if the numbers were true. My 3" M629 doesn't weigh much more than a fully loaded G20. I can also & do switch loads out for the trip home in the car, I don't need bear penetration on the street. Again, look at the vast majority of animal attacks, you'll be lucky to get the gun out of the holster, by then you may be rolling around on the ground trying to fire w/ one hand likely. The semiauto will fire once then just as likely to jamb from either a less than perfect strong hand only grip or a slide contact. Now you have a not very efficient plastic club to fight with.
I think too many guys think an animal attack is going to be an IDPA event, where you see it coming & have time to engage, it is NOT likely to be that way, not by a long shot. SO if I only get one shot off, then I want it to have a better chance of ending that fight & a 10mm is still a service round. Sure better than a pocket knife, but just my take on a true woods gun as as SD tool. It needs to be able to do a lot of things well, no 10mm can say that.:dunno:[/QUOTE]

You mistook what I meant. My fault for not saying it correctly. I certainly don't think it would be like an IDPA event, I was meaning if you were tangled up with the animal. I don't see how you think the 10mm can't do a lot of things well. It covers a wide margin from SD to hunting. For the game it can reasonalby take it can do it very well meanwhile doubling as a great SD platform by profile and capacity. Although semis can find a host of things that will make them malfunction doesn't mean that wheelies guns don't.
The 3" 629 seems to me to be package of diminishing returns. Lots of powder that would like more bbl to burn it. Great, you have 6 potent cartridges that are neutered for animal defense or one that doesn't make much sense for personal protection over conventional service pistols. Goodluck with your follow up shots outta that thing with the "definitive blow" loads. If black bear is someones biggest worry, 10mm is more than fine.

fredj338
09-08-2012, 11:58
The 3" 629 seems to me to be package of diminishing returns. Lots of powder that would like more bbl to burn it. Great, you have 6 potent cartridges that are neutered for animal defense or one that doesn't make much sense for personal protection over conventional service pistols. Goodluck with your follow up shots outta that thing with the "definitive blow" loads. If black bear is someones biggest worry, 10mm is more than fine.
Seriously, the 10mm fanatics crack me up. A 4", even a 3" 44mag out shines a 10mm, especially G29, in raw power & penetration. If you call a 43cal/270gr bullet doing 1200fps nuetered, ok, but if a solid, it will not stop inside a 1000# animal from most angles. Make it something that moderately expands, it's still going to go thru most anything else one may encounter. Your choice, mine will always be a heavy hitting revolver for a serious trail gun. Sure, if I am walking the woods back east, a 9mm would likely do as anything. Yes, a modest size black bear will fall to even a 9mm carefully placed, but we are not talking hunting & controled shots. You are not likley to get that if in a surprise animal attack. JMO, I have made the argument, it's always a choice. FWIW, you never have responded to the verstility issue. No semi can be as versitile as a revolver; Shot loads to bunnyfarts for small game to bear stompers, all in the same platform by just changing ammo, no semi can do that. Yes it takes more dedication to get good w/ a magnum rev vs a service pistol, but that is the trade off for the better round.:supergrin:

uz2bUSMC
09-08-2012, 13:05
Seriously, the 10mm fanatics crack me up. A 4", even a 3" 44mag out shines a 10mm, especially G29, in raw power & penetration. If you call a 43cal/270gr bullet doing 1200fps nuetered, ok, but if a solid, it will not stop inside a 1000# animal from most angles. Make it something that moderately expands, it's still going to go thru most anything else one may encounter. Your choice, mine will always be a heavy hitting revolver for a serious trail gun. Sure, if I am walking the woods back east, a 9mm would likely do as anything. Yes, a modest size black bear will fall to even a 9mm carefully placed, but we are not talking hunting & controled shots. You are not likley to get that if in a surprise animal attack. JMO, I have made the argument, it's always a choice. FWIW, you never have responded to the verstility issue. No semi can be as versitile as a revolver; Shot loads to bunnyfarts for small game to bear stompers, all in the same platform by just changing ammo, no semi can do that. Yes it takes more dedication to get good w/ a magnum rev vs a service pistol, but that is the trade off for the better round.:supergrin:

I did respond to the versatility issue. But I guess you wanted more. We'll take the G29 the OP uses vs your 629.

Let's see. If I want a light load I can do that. If I want a really light load I can get a reduced power recoil spring and do that. If I want a 230 with a nice wide meplat at 1300 fps that will give a thru&thru on all 10mm appropriate game, I can do that. If I want a longer barrel so as not to waste a bunch of powder like your wheely, I can drop one in. If I want to shoot .40 I can get a bbl an do that. What about the .357 sig or 9x25? Yep, can do that too. The round count you ask? Why yes, I can add an extended mag, I'm not stuck with the standard amount the gun came with. I can take the slide off and put one on that shoots .22lr. I can put snake shot in then, they suck, won't chamber the slide but it still counts. Oh, almost forgot, should I have the need or want... I can suppress it. So I'd say unless your beloved wheely can talk like a parrot or cook pancakes it's not gonna impress me enough with it's "versatility" over the G29.

ETA: That round is neutered in comparison to what it would be doing out of a 6" bbl.

glock20c10mm
09-08-2012, 13:26
I think too many guys think an animal attack is going to be an IDPA event, where you see it coming & have time to engage, it is NOT likely to be that way, not by a long shot. SO if I only get one shot off, then I want it to have a better chance of ending that fight & a 10mm is still a service round. Sure better than a pocket knife, but just my take on a true woods gun as as SD tool. It needs to be able to do a lot of things well, no 10mm can say that.:dunno:

Glock G20 6" barrel = 30 ounces
S&W 629 4" barrel = 42 ounces

G20 OAL with 6" barrel = 9.65"
629 OAL with 4" barrel = 9.63"

G20 round capacity = 15
629 round capacity = 6

10mm 200gr (pick your poison...XTP...HardCast...) @ 1350fps = 809 lb-ft
44mag 270gr (pick your poison...Gold Dot...HardCast) @ 1200fps = 863 lb-ft

Between the above two choices there is NO WAY I would choose the revolver!!! Also, to simply give up the difference in round count shown above, arbitrarily, because you somehow thing the two loads listed will somehow perform any amount differently worth noting is a joke. It is also a joke to suggest the two plaforms above practially weigh the same. They don't.

That said, if someone still chooses to choose the revolver in the above scenario, well that's just fine with me, as the last time I checked, it's still a half way free country. But lets leave the nonsense/mistruths/misconceptions out of it.

Chris Chris
09-08-2012, 13:29
While avoiding the CF that this thread has become, I will note to the OP that you will lose about 60-80 fps from a G29 over the published ballistics for 10mm on the Hornady site.

That's not a bad thing. My normal carry load for my G29 is Win 175 Silvertip and I have chronoed it at 1250 fps. My woods load is the Cor-Bon 180 Bonded Core Soft Point (great penetration and expansion in ballistic media to about .53 caliber, with 100% weight retention.) It also shoots to the same POI as the Win load.

If you are going with the Hornady XTP bullet (which is an EXCELLENT slug) and have not zeroed for 180 grain rounds, I would suggest their 200 grain XTP. It shoots a bit higher than the 180 loads but I have harvested a half dozen wild hogs with that load from my G29 and its terminal perfomance was excellent. It penetrates VERY WELL, and expands to about .55 caliber.

Even from the shorter barrel on the G29, the 10 mm is a 'low end' .41 Mag load... and in a very compact package.

I'm keeping mine. And, when I walk in the woods it's in my holster.

fredj338
09-08-2012, 22:45
I did respond to the versatility issue. But I guess you wanted more. We'll take the G29 the OP uses vs your 629.

Let's see. If I want a light load I can do that. If I want a really light load I can get a reduced power recoil spring and do that. If I want a 230 with a nice wide meplat at 1300 fps that will give a thru&thru on all 10mm appropriate game, I can do that. If I want a longer barrel so as not to waste a bunch of powder like your wheely, I can drop one in. If I want to shoot .40 I can get a bbl an do that. What about the .357 sig or 9x25? Yep, can do that too. The round count you ask? Why yes, I can add an extended mag, I'm not stuck with the standard amount the gun came with. I can take the slide off and put one on that shoots .22lr. I can put snake shot in then, they suck, won't chamber the slide but it still counts. Oh, almost forgot, should I have the need or want... I can suppress it. So I'd say unless your beloved wheely can talk like a parrot or cook pancakes it's not gonna impress me enough with it's "versatility" over the G29.

ETA: That round is neutered in comparison to what it would be doing out of a 6" bbl.

SOrry uz, I am not sure you understand versatility. So you carry reduced power recoils springs into the field with you along w/ the other bbl & slide? Maybe I wasn't clear, I meant field versatility. Yeah, that's what a trail gun is supposed to be for, use on the trail for any purpose from bears to rabbits & any two legged vermin w/ reliability under possible bad conditions. Maybe we just travel diff trails.:dunno:

fredj338
09-08-2012, 23:06
Glock G20 6" barrel = 30 ounces
S&W 629 4" barrel = 42 ounces

G20 OAL with 6" barrel = 9.65"
629 OAL with 4" barrel = 9.63"

G20 round capacity = 15
629 round capacity = 6

10mm 200gr (pick your poison...XTP...HardCast...) @ 1350fps = 809 lb-ft
44mag 270gr (pick your poison...Gold Dot...HardCast) @ 1200fps = 863 lb-ft

Between the above two choices there is NO WAY I would choose the revolver!!! Also, to simply give up the difference in round count shown above, arbitrarily, because you somehow thing the two loads listed will somehow perform any amount differently worth noting is a joke. It is also a joke to suggest the two plaforms above practially weigh the same. They don't.

That said, if someone still chooses to choose the revolver in the above scenario, well that's just fine with me, as the last time I checked, it's still a half way free country. But lets leave the nonsense/mistruths/misconceptions out of it.

Wow, you guys are as bad as some politicians playing loose & fast w/ "facts". A G20/6" loaded weighs 42oz, the 4" M629 is 47oz. If you are going to count the mag cap, you have to count the ammo wt. SO pretty close. Next, I am calling BS on you getting 1350fps safely w/ even a 6" bbl, much less from a std G20 or the OP G29. I can do much better w/ a 4" 44mag & heavier bullet, I noted 1200fps in a "neutered" 3". Then the entire field verisatility issues is completely dismissed, which it should not be for a serious trail gun. So we agree to disagree. Hey, I like the 10mm, probably shooting & loading for it longer than you, but I understand it's limitations. It offers slightly lighter field weight & mag cap. Reality, mag cap against a dangerous animal is almost moot, you'll never get the rounds off. IMO, pretending the 10mm is anything really more than a good service caliber or medium game, short range hunting gun is a joke. As Chris said, a "low end 41mag" at best.:dunno:

Ak.Hiker
09-09-2012, 00:33
I have had a Glock 29 for many years. Lots of power in a small package. Both the 180 and 200 grain XTP's are good loads. If I had to pick one over the other it would be the 200 grain. In penetration testing the 200 grain XTP does pretty well for a HP.

happyguy
09-09-2012, 03:11
Trail guns for most of the guides in Alaska are large caliber carbines or rifles. These are people that work in close proximity to dangerous game on a daily basis.

I have seen revolvers on the hips of some but I have NEVER seen one with a semi-auto when they are working.

I live in Indiana now so my CCW is what I carry on the trails.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

4949shooter
09-09-2012, 03:41
For what it's worth, we had a state ranger here empty three mags from a Beretta 96 into an aggressive black bear. So yes, there are instances when the extra shots/mags will come in handy. The bear was not charging at the time, so I am told.

A revolver is a viable option for woods defense also. I would have no problem carrying one (and sometimes do).

The title of this thread is "G29 ballistics." So I take it this is what the OP is asking about.

Carry what you want. Shoot what you want.

We live in a free country.

uz2bUSMC
09-09-2012, 06:41
Next, I am calling BS on you getting 1350fps safely w/ even a 6" bbl, much less from a std G20 or the OP G29.

Fred, you have always played on the low end on loading the 10mm. You think the 180 at 1200 is hot. There others that reload besides you and can actually load hot loads safely.

uz2bUSMC
09-09-2012, 06:53
SOrry uz, I am not sure you understand versatility. So you carry reduced power recoils springs into the field with you along w/ the other bbl & slide? Maybe I wasn't clear, I meant field versatility. Yeah, that's what a trail gun is supposed to be for, use on the trail for any purpose from bears to rabbits & any two legged vermin w/ reliability under possible bad conditions. Maybe we just travel diff trails.:dunno:

Ummm, ok. Just keep narrowing it down how you like. The 10mm has no problem with black bears, people, or bunnies with bullets for each. Pretty simple. Ok you're a bad ass because you can put snake shot in your wheely. And let me guess, you carry 2 bunny loads, 2 snake shot, 2 bear loads at all times right? Or is it that you know what you will need next? I mean so far all that you can sell me on is that you can use snake shot and I can't and I get to have less rounds if I use a wheely.

JW1178
09-09-2012, 20:37
Ummm, ok. Just keep narrowing it down how you like. The 10mm has no problem with black bears, people, or bunnies with bullets for each. Pretty simple. Ok you're a bad ass because you can put snake shot in your wheely. And let me guess, you carry 2 bunny loads, 2 snake shot, 2 bear loads at all times right? Or is it that you know what you will need next? I mean so far all that you can sell me on is that you can use snake shot and I can't and I get to have less rounds if I use a wheely.

Any snake big enough that you will need to defend yourself against is going to take a lot more than snake shot handgun rounds. Never know, you could run into one of those giant squids.

bumpin88
09-14-2012, 09:47
To the OP check out; www.gunblast.com/10mm (http://www.gunblast.com/10mm)

This guy compares the difference between the G20 and G29 w/ various ammunition. No hornady, but this should serve as a good guide how the G29 stacks against the longer barrel. plus he uses a 5" S&W and the longer 6.3" barrel in the glocks. Hopefully this helps someone.

1canvas
03-01-2013, 12:07
To the OP check out; www.gunblast.com/10mm (http://www.gunblast.com/10mm)

This guy compares the difference between the G20 and G29 w/ various ammunition. No hornady, but this should serve as a good guide how the G29 stacks against the longer barrel. plus he uses a 5" S&W and the longer 6.3" barrel in the glocks. Hopefully this helps someone.

thanks, that was very helpful:wavey:.

PghJim
03-01-2013, 12:55
Well OP did you get a G29? Are you using it for a woods gun? If so, what rounds are you using? Does it have an extended barrel?

fredj338
03-01-2013, 13:01

Obviosuly Uz, your head i spinning form the 10mm smoke. Versitile means not having to change anything in the field but the ammo. So if I want low vel foreging rounds, birdshot, full power bear stompers, SD loads, all easily done by switching ammo, not so much w/ any semiauto. I am under no delusion that should I really need a handgun to defend myself against a bear attack, I will only get 1 or 2 shots off. I want the to be as decisive as they can be from a handgun, that is not any 10mm load.:dunno:
Most of us carry a woods gun for comfort & protection from 2 legged predators. So in that case, any handgun will do. If you are really thinking you could be attacked by a bear, carry a long gun or at least a handgun capable of actually turning an attack w/ a decently placed single shot. I am not trying to change anyones mind, jut rpesenting some facts, as facts are stubborn things.

1canvas
03-01-2013, 13:40
Well OP did you get a G29? Are you using it for a woods gun? If so, what rounds are you using? Does it have an extended barrel?

what I did was buy a G30sf. it can serve double duty as a house gun and I plan on getting a 10mm conversion barrel and a couple of 29 mags for the woods. as for the barrel I'm thinking someting in the 4.5'' range. it would get me the added velocity without to much added length. then for a load I would like a controlled expansion 180grn hollowpoint running at least 1100 but no more than 1200fps range.

PghJim
03-01-2013, 14:04
what I did was buy a G30sf. it can serve double duty as a house gun and I plan on getting a 10mm conversion barrel and a couple of 29 mags for the woods. as for the barrel I'm thinking someting in the 4.5'' range. it would get me the added velocity without to much added length. then for a load I would like a controlled expansion 180grn hollowpoint running at least 1100 but no more than 1200fps range.

With my 4.5 barrel I get almost 1,300fps from Underwood 180gr loads.

1canvas
03-01-2013, 14:26
I'm looking to find a load that doesen't have too much blast for the small size gun, thats why I'm looking at the 1100-1200fps range. I might have to work up a load myself. I also read some posts on a .45 Super but I haven't looked into it yet.

fredj338
03-01-2013, 16:00
I'm looking to find a load that doesen't have too much blast for the small size gun, thats why I'm looking at the 1100-1200fps range. I might have to work up a load myself. I also read some posts on a .45 Super but I haven't looked into it yet.

I think 1200fps is easily done, even in a stock G29 bbl. A 200gr XTP would be my choice if the only gun I had was a 10mm, 1100fps is easily done.

uz2bUSMC
03-01-2013, 16:54
Obviosuly Uz, your head i spinning form the 10mm smoke. Versitile means not having to change anything in the field but the ammo. So if I want low vel foreging rounds, birdshot, full power bear stompers, SD loads, all easily done by switching ammo, not so much w/ any semiauto. I am under no delusion that should I really need a handgun to defend myself against a bear attack, I will only get 1 or 2 shots off. I want the to be as decisive as they can be from a handgun, that is not any 10mm load.:dunno:
Most of us carry a woods gun for comfort & protection from 2 legged predators. So in that case, any handgun will do. If you are really thinking you could be attacked by a bear, carry a long gun or at least a handgun capable of actually turning an attack w/ a decently placed single shot. I am not trying to change anyones mind, jut rpesenting some facts, as facts are stubborn things.

Jeez, bringing up old stuff and you try to finish the same way.

:dunno:Is that what versatile means? That what it says in da book? I guess you see yourself as the rule maker, interesting.

Here bud, let me just say this... the repetition of opinion doesn't eventually equal fact.

1canvas
03-01-2013, 17:28
I think 1200fps is easily done, even in a stock G29 bbl. A 200gr XTP would be my choice if the only gun I had was a 10mm, 1100fps is easily done.

the 200grn XTP was what I was thinking also.

SCmasterblaster
03-01-2013, 18:08

That's so true. I guess that only reloaders can get the most out of 10mms

1canvas
03-01-2013, 18:23
yea, I was just checking out Hornady's ballistics for their loaded ammo. it was clocked out of a 5'' barrel with a 200grn @ 1050fps. I wonder what that load would look like out of a G29 length barrel, probably in the 900+fps area.

Mountain10mm
03-02-2013, 17:39
OP here's a Hornady load through a stock G29.

Hornady 200gr. XTP = 999fps for 443 ft-lbs. energy. Four shot average at 8500' elevation.

Personal hand load 180gr. XTP over Accurate #9, 1189fps for 565 ft-lbs. energy at 8500' elevation.

Double Tap 200gr. (2007 when they used XTP bullets) 1068 fps for 568 ft-lbs. energy at 8500'

1canvas
03-02-2013, 18:31
OP here's a Hornady load through a stock G29.

Hornady 200gr. XTP = 999fps for 443 ft-lbs. energy. Four shot average at 8500' elevation.

Personal hand load 180gr. XTP over Accurate #9, 1189fps for 565 ft-lbs. energy at 8500' elevation.

Double Tap 200gr. (2007 when they used XTP bullets) 1068 fps for 568 ft-lbs. energy at 8500'

that personal hand load is the kind of load I'm wanting. are you liking the accurate #9 for 10mm loads.

fredj338
03-02-2013, 18:33
Jeez, bringing up old stuff and you try to finish the same way.

:dunno:Is that what versatile means? That what it says in da book? I guess you see yourself as the rule maker, interesting.

Here bud, let me just say this... the repetition of opinion doesn't eventually equal fact.

Uh yes??:dunno: BTW, your opinion based on no facts is what exactly? I suppose it's just a matter of semantics. Field versatile vs home/range versatile. SOme of us have actually spent time in the field w/ dangerous game animals. IT's all good though, everyone has their opinion, some are just more valid. I love the 10mm guys really, nothing like pure optimism & enthusiasm to keep reality in check.

SCmasterblaster
03-03-2013, 13:33
I think that CorBon offers a decent 10mm round.

rustytxrx
03-03-2013, 14:50
Bear? hmmmm Summer of 2010 Debbie and I went to Homer, Alaska. flew out on a bear tour. when you see a grown brown bear, you will rethink your pistol choice. if you are thinking about a 10mm, you have never seen a grown brown bear.

Maybe the locals have enough knowledge of bear anatomy to use a pistol effectively. I think most of use are dead meat.

Having used the 10 mm in hunting applications a lot, I can tell ya if you are a good shot and know the anatomy of your target, it can be effective. it just take a little movement of you target sideways, backward or forward, to make a long time comsuming trail to recover.

I like the 10 mm. great round with a lot of versatility. A big bear caliber the 10 mm is not unless you are a expert bear hunter. then you are gonna need some luck.

I think the 10 mm is a good choice of carry.

SCmasterblaster
03-03-2013, 15:31
yea, I was just checking out Hornady's ballistics for their loaded ammo. it was clocked out of a 5'' barrel with a 200grn @ 1050fps. I wonder what that load would look like out of a G29 length barrel, probably in the 900+fps area.

I guess that the ammo maker are thinking that the recoil would be too much with the heavy loads. :upeyes:

Zombie Steve
03-03-2013, 16:20
But lets leave the nonsense/mistruths/misconceptions out of it.

You mean like a 200 grain XTP going 1,350? You packin' a 8" barrel?

Fred, you have always played on the low end on loading the 10mm. You think the 180 at 1200 is hot. There others that reload besides you and can actually load hot loads safely.

The 180 at 1200 is hot for 10mm. Can it go hotter? Yeah, but here's what you're doing... approaching Vail pass.

http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new-intro-modal/ds-photo/getty/article/171/226/71056917_XS.jpg

Zombie Steve
03-03-2013, 16:22
Maybe this is a better illustration:

http://www.tomstockton.us/pictures/007/overloaded_car.jpg

SCmasterblaster
03-04-2013, 06:51
Maybe this is a better illustration:

http://www.tomstockton.us/pictures/007/overloaded_car.jpg

Ouch!

390ish
03-04-2013, 13:27
I shoot (sometimes) carry a G29. I reload. With fresh brass, you can load sub nuclear with 800 x and 180 or 200 grainers. They make my trigger finger go completely numb after the fourth shot. The are ridculous.

I really like a 180 grain loaded with a max load of AA2, not so much flash. Never shot factory through it, so I don't know about that. I sure as heck would not want to be on the receiving end of any of the loads.

gatorboy
03-06-2013, 08:58
Yeah, for those that miss a lot, I can see the advantage.:upeyes: Seriously, if your intent is protection against large predators, you wil not get off more than a shot or two & they would need to deliver a decisive blow. A 10mm is still pretty much a service round, a 41mag or 44mag or heavy 45colt is well beyond that. Then their is the versaitility that all semiautos lack, but to each his own. For most of us, it is a walk in the woods & nothing happens.:dunno:

For most of us the most dangerous thing in the woods are pot growers and meth lab chefs. I'd rather have a pistol for those times but I agree, very rare to need something insanely powerful for a killer bear. Not saying it does'nt ever happen either.